Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Endman posted:

Who the gently caress says "tu quoque" seriously in an internet argument.

You get four candy canes for tu quoque. You go tu quoque!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Those On My Left posted:

I like you, Soag.

Mate.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Haters Objector posted:

I think there would be a pretty significant gap in humanitarian work in Australia if not for faith-based charities
Charity is not intrinsically faith based, lacking those church groups other kinds of charities would fill the void.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I dunno, it'd have to be a hell of an organization to replace the light cajoling you get out of organized religion.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

rudatron posted:

Charity is not intrinsically faith based, lacking those church groups other kinds of charities would fill the void.

I don't think they would. Churches have the resources to pour into that kind of stuff, and if the entire humanitarian sector relied on donations and government grants, which they would if it was all secular, there wouldn't be nearly as much money invested into it as there is now.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

rudatron posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of faith based charity at all. You should be secure enough in your faith to keep your poo poo secular when you're doing humanitarian work. Faith based poo poo is necessarily authoritarian. Plus the record of fbcs vs secular nfps is pretty self explanatory, compare msf to any religious healthcare provider and compare the child mortality rates of populations with Christian missionaries vs even the fucken peace corps

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 13, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
But like yeah, I have to respond to soag and TOML because this poo poo really pisses me off. Do we seriously have to go through some bullshit Ditchkins poo poo again about how religion is regressive and atheism is the light and agnosticism is cowardice or can we just go back to our perennial consensus that religious belief is an inherent part of all humans and necessarily concern the divine or a lack thereof or ambivalence? Because arguing about how anti-homophobic Muslims are essentially apostates according to your assumptions and prejudices against Islam is loving stupid, and so is talking about how there's no point in being a follower of an explicitly progressive iteration of an ancient religion because... what? Give a reason. Science? Science and religion are separate, that is the entire point of the scientific method, to break from the authority of the church to allow for reasonable inquiry in both philosophical directions because they clearly diverge. One is based on empirical analysis, one is based in belief systems. Atheism is a belief system. How many loving times do secular scientists have to say that they are not concerned with god or faith in the work they do about the beginnings of the universe? They are not saying it for the benefit of the fundamentally religious. They are saying shut the gently caress up to the smug atheists who jump on any discovery of the universe to say 'lol where's your god'. God is still everywhere, dipshits. God is in everything because I can't explain how anything exists without it, nor can science, and nor can you. You might not see god in anything but everything I see has something to do with something incredible by virtue of the simple fact that it exists. And existence is marvellous and complex and hosed up and worth it and something caused it all to happen and I call that god.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 13, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
if a belief in god is based on the incomprehension of certain phenomena does that mean that the federal cabinet, being much stupider and unable to comprehend more, is more pious than fruity gordo?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Laserface posted:

Hey guys, all religion is actually terrible, hth.

Hear hear.

:dawkins101:

Fruity Gordo posted:

But like yeah, I have to respond to soag and TOML because this poo poo really pisses me off. Do we seriously have to go through some bullshit Ditchkins poo poo again about how religion is regressive and atheism is the light and agnosticism is cowardice :words: explicitly progress:words: iteration of an ancient religion because... what? Give a reason. Science? Science and religion are separate, that is the entire point of the scientific method, to break from the authority of t:words:ased on empirical analysis, one is based in belief systems. Atheism :words:rned with god or fa:words:he work they do about the beg:words:the universe? They are not saying it for the benefit of the fundamentally religious. They are saying shut the gently caress up to the smug a:words:ho jump on any discovery of the universe to say 'lol where's :words:. God is still everywhere, dipshits. God is in everything because I can't explain how anything exists without it, nor can sc:words:and nor ca:words:ible by virt:words: it and something caused it all to happen and I call that god.

Please tell me more about the god of the gaps.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 13, 2014

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's not an inherent part of all humans or some aspect of human nature though, pre-civilized faith systems are completely different conceptually from modern ideas of faith. Religion has been, and always will be, historically & materially contingent. When it no longer satisfies its use, it won't exist anymore.

It's the same with all other ideologies, you may as well say that human beings are intrinsically 'capitalist' or 'individualist'. The truth is that all of those things are created by the social conditions: they're guaranteed only so long as those conditions are true.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 13, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Kommando posted:

Hear hear.

:dawkins101:

Please tell me more about the god of the gaps.

You really don't understand much. Show me the cause of the universe, and I'll show you god.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Turns out there are infinite conceptualisations of god and, despite what the internet atheists say, not everybody views god as a bearded caucasian man in a toga, swinging around on a cloud hammock and listening to prayers on his ham radio set

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shut up about religion, you dickheads.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Half baked enraged drivel

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

rudatron posted:

It's not an inherent part of all humans or some aspect of human nature though, pre-civilized faith systems are completely different conceptually from modern ideas of faith. Religion has been, and always will be, historically & materially contingent. When it no longer satisfies its use, it won't exist anymore.

Yeah, it is. I'm not talking about monotheism, I'm talking about creation myths. 'Nothing' is no more valid an idea of a cause of creation than one god or multiple gods. That's why physicists and mathematicians who aren't self-aggrandising and self-promoting dont go out of their way to try to convince the world that there's no such thing as god. Because god means nothing universally, it's an entirely individual belief and authoritarian religions are authoritarian, progressive religions are generally not. Your problem with religion is presumably with authoritarianism, unless you're actually really angry with the idea of people believing something different to you and you feel the need to tell them why over and over again, then you're an authoritarian too.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

You really don't understand much. Show me the cause of the universe, and I'll show you god.

Why call that God, with all the baggage that word or entails, with all the confusion it can cause, and misunderstandings it can induce? Why not just say "show me the cause of the universe and I'll show you the cause of the universe"?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

I don't think they would. Churches have the resources to pour into that kind of stuff, and if the entire humanitarian sector relied on donations and government grants, which they would if it was all secular, there wouldn't be nearly as much money invested into it as there is now.

Just take the money from the churches and distribute it amongst those who need it most. There, a perfect solution.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Actually Fruity existence is kinda poo poo but that's beside the point, even if one isn't religious it's pretty loving clear that religion is one of the few sources of hope for the billions of impoverished people in the world. Smug technophilia is one of the most bourgeois attitudes I can think of. If you think people wouldn't find reasons to hate and kill each other and ~hold back human progress~ in a totally atheist world then I don't know what to tell you. Extremist religious politics is only one of the many flavours of demagogy. Violence and "backwardsness" will always be more closely entwined with poverty and oppression.

Basically nerds are poo poo

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Just take the money from the churches and distribute it amongst those who need it most. There, a perfect solution.

The churches don't exist in this hypothetical situation

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Fruity Gordo posted:

or can we just go back to our perennial consensus that religious belief is an inherent part of all humans and necessarily concern the divine or a lack thereof or ambivalence?

This is not a consensus I've ever heard of, and this discussion is spiraling out of control.

ONE OF THESE DAYS YOU JERKS WILL LEARN NOT TO RESPOND TO IWC, no matter how legit his arguments might appear.

Religious people who oppress others are as bad as any other kind of oppressor, but not all men muslims are homophobic. You all agree on this and any arguments are just people arguing past each other. There is a valid concern that THE LEFT (a large hivemind or corporation I assume?) doesn't come down hard enough on the lovely parts of 'muslim culture', which is completely bullshit and the only people who say this are racist. When THE LEFT (inc.) yell about homophobes and mysogenists, they aren't only referring to the western ones.

IWC has, once again, managed to bait the whole thread. To be fair, it was a decent discussion for all of 5 posts!

Also lol at IWC's "But everyone else in Asia is racist so we can be too!"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Karma police arrest this thread it's making me feel ill.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Splode posted:

IWC has, once again, managed to bait the whole thread.

I'm actually not unhappy that he did it now, trolls that manage to draw out people that unironically agree with them are doing a good deed

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Why call that God, with all the baggage that word or entails, with all the confusion it can cause, and misunderstandings it can induce? Why not just say "show me the cause of the universe and I'll show you the cause of the universe"?

Because I grew up with a belief in a thing called 'god' and always thought of it as the reason why things are here and I'm not going to change the way I express myself for the sake of some nerds who can't understand the difference between my interpretation of god and what they read in first year philosophy about the first uncaused cause.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Actually Fruity existence is kinda poo poo but that's beside the point, even if one isn't religious it's pretty loving clear that religion is one of the few sources of hope for the billions of impoverished people in the world. Smug technophilia is one of the most bourgeois attitudes I can think of. If you think people wouldn't find reasons to hate and kill each other and ~hold back human progress~ in a totally atheist world then I don't know what to tell you. Extremist religious politics is only one of the many flavours of demagogy. Violence and "backwardsness" will always be more closely entwined with poverty and oppression.

Basically nerds are poo poo

Wish we could upvote posts.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I'm not even religious but smug Dawkins acolytes are so loving insufferable

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

"yeah maybe they'd still kill each other and hold terrible views on women and gays but at least it wouldn't be in service of a fictional being :smug:"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I thought we all made fun of urseus or someone for basing his world view on what he thought as a toddler :confused:

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

Because I grew up with a belief in a thing called 'god' and always thought of it as the reason why things are here and I'm not going to change the way I express myself for the sake of some nerds who can't understand the difference between my interpretation of god and what they read in first year philosophy about the first uncaused cause.

So, essentially, because tradition? The only problem I have with this arises when the unscrupulous sieze upon the word god to trick good people. See: evangelists quoting Einstein "god does not play dice", then raking in money hand over first from the dimwitted.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

fukt up if true

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Fruity Gordo posted:

But like yeah, I have to respond to soag and TOML because this poo poo really pisses me off. Do we seriously have to go through some bullshit Ditchkins poo poo again about how religion is regressive and atheism is the light and agnosticism is cowardice or can we just go back to our perennial consensus that religious belief is an inherent part of all humans and necessarily concern the divine or a lack thereof or ambivalence?

What i'm interested in is the political and social expression of the community and how it interacts with broader society. I'm more interested in that than any atheocratic navel-gazing about angels dancing on pins, i certainly see no difference in validity in the spiritual claims of Muslims vs Christians.

But australian christianity developed conterminously and symbiotically with the commonwealth of australia, Islam did not, and this is evident in their relationship to the state and the public.

This a political argument, not a spiritual one.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Splode, what sparked this discussion I'm having was actually soag being an obnoxious shithead and asserting that there was no point to adhering to a progressive reformist religious movement like Reform Judaism. I would have ignored him because soag is a loving idiot about most things that reared deep thought, but TOML agreed with him and that's why I posted WORDS, which ultimately started the current discussion. It has poo poo all to do with the bullshit islamophobia of the previous discussion and is all about just how pathetic Australia is at secular religious education and just how insensitive and fundamentally insensible people who deny that they have faith can be

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fruity Gordo posted:

Yeah, it is. I'm not talking about monotheism, I'm talking about creation myths. 'Nothing' is no more valid an idea of a cause of creation than one god or multiple gods. That's why physicists and mathematicians who aren't self-aggrandising and self-promoting dont go out of their way to try to convince the world that there's no such thing as god. Because god means nothing universally, it's an entirely individual belief and authoritarian religions are authoritarian, progressive religions are generally not. Your problem with religion is presumably with authoritarianism, unless you're actually really angry with the idea of people believing something different to you and you feel the need to tell them why over and over again, then you're an authoritarian too.
'Nothing' is actually more valid via parsimony, but you're missing the point: by assuming it's a part of human nature, you're projecting your own way of thinking onto the 'space' of all possible human thought. Under this world view, atheists are somehow...not human? Sub-human? The special exception? And if they're the special exception, why are they a growing subgroup in western countries?

Religion and the ideologies of society are determined by societies' social and material conditions, not the other way around. If you're saying that faith is intrinsic, then that is nothing but ahistorical special pleading. I'm not even referring to monotheism here, pre-civilized beliefs are not based around the idea of 'another world' or any of that, everything is immanent. That's actually very close to materialist atheism, it's just that the 'rules of operation' of the world are different! Transcendent religion is caused by the emergence of classes under the neolithic revolution, and the requirements of settled society to manage those class relations, just as pre-civilized beliefs were caused by the requirements to manage inter-personal relationships (the reduction of conspicuous consumption and a kind of justice system).

You're no more valid in saying people are intrinsically religious then you are in saying people are intrinsically capitalist, or monarchist, or racist, or sexist, or whatever.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 13, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

What i'm interested in is the political and social expression of the community and how it interacts with broader society. I'm more interested in that than any atheocratic navel-gazing about angels dancing on pins, i certainly see no difference in validity in the spiritual claims of Muslims vs Christians.

But australian christianity developed conterminously and symbiotically with the commonwealth of australia, Islam did not, and this is evident in their relationship to the state and the public.

This a political argument, not a spiritual one.

Cool! What I'm not interested in is everything you post.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Australian Christianity fell apart in the face of the Australian lifestyle. Let Moslems be here in peace and watch as it happens to their faith, too.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

'Nothing' is actually more valid via parsimony, but you're missing the point: by assuming it's a part of human nature, you're projecting your own way of thinking onto the 'space' of all possible human thought. Under this world view, atheists are somehow...not human? Sub-human? The special exception? And if they're the special exception, why are they a growing subgroup in western countries?

Religion and the ideologies of society are determined by societies' social and material conditions, not the other way around. If you're saying that faith is intrinsic, then that is nothing but ahistorical special pleading. I'm not even referring to monotheism here, pre-civilized beliefs are not based around the idea of 'another world' or any of that, everything is immanent. That's actually very close to materialist atheism, it's just that the 'rules of operation' of the world are different! Transcendent religion is caused by the emergence of classes under the neolithic revolution, and the requirements of settled society to manage those class relations, just as pre-civilized beliefs were caused by the requirements to manage inter-personal relationships (the reduction of conspicuous consumption and a kind of justice system).

Stop talking out your rear end.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

I thought we all made fun of urseus or someone for basing his world view on what he thought as a toddler :confused:

When I was a small child I wanted to watch some educational children's TV, Playschool probably. Instead the ABC was showing some special session of parliament with John Howard front and centre. This has informed my dislike of the LNP to this day.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Fruity Gordo posted:

Cool! What I'm not interested in is everything you post.

But this is a politics thread and not a yeshiva, maybe come back when your magic 8 ball solves this riddle.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I'm not even religious but smug Dawkins acolytes are so loving insufferable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtyYlAH0f_M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Fruity Gordo posted:

Not mine Reform Judaism owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE
Brian: Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front?
Reg: gently caress off! 'Judean People's Front'. We're the People's Front of Judea! 'Judean People's Front'.
Francis: Wankers.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 13, 2014

• Locked thread