Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

This is probably a really dumb question coming from someone who has owned a PS3 for 6 years and bought a launch PS4, but how do trophies work? I've never really cared about them and I have no idea what to make of them.

My best guess is:

%= percent of people who have completed that trophy
x/4 dots=value of trophy
number and progress bar next to your name=?
trophy color is related to the dots and %?

I only started looking at these things a few days ago, because neither of my PS3's was actually capable of syncing them at any point. They seem way more confusing than Xbox achievements though.

The number and progress bar are your 'level' - every trophy gives a hidden set number of points and every level is like double the last and it's kinda like a level in an RPG. Trophy colour is the value of the trophy - bronze being an easy/5 Xbox gamerscore, silver and gold being the medium and hard/25 and 50 gamerscore. Platinum trophy is special - it pops when you've unlocked every trophy in a game and is displayed somewhere on your profile for mad epeen bragging.

The percentage in the menu is how many of the trophies you've unlocked but it's calculated using those hidden points, not by number of trophies unlocked (like a bronze might add 1% but a gold gives 15% or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EDIT: ^^^^^^whoops had my question answered while I was making the image with the tab open. Makes sense now.

neetengie posted:

The four dots is how rare it is based on how many people got it. Gold, Silver and Bronze are set by the game devs, same way Cheevos are 5 pioints, 10 points, etc. If you're referring to the % where it just shows the tile in the trophy list (i.e. Wolfenstein, 33%) that's the percent of trophies you have for that game. Other than that I have no idea what you're saying. Mind using an image?

I meant on my general profile for that part. Like, I don't really know what this even means.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

NESguerilla posted:

EDIT: ^^^^^^whoops had my question answered while I was making the image with the tab open. Makes sense now.

I meant on my general profile for that part. Like, I don't really know what this even means.

You're level 11 with all the trophies accumulated, 16% to level 12. You have 710 trophies in total, 1 Plat (scrub lol), 22 Gold, 124 Silver, and 563 Bronze trophies.

With the whole level thing, there's basically tiers based on how many trophies you have, but it's not just overall quantity, platinuming games and having a ton of gold trophies will help with that. Like with me, I'm Level 11 (57% to 12) with 8 Plats, 34 Golds, etc.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 13, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think that plat is for TWD which just gives it to you for playing the game lol.

I'd actually probably go for achievements/trophies if they weren't always such grindy BS. I've yet to see a game that actually sounds fun to plat since that whole system was introduced.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Did you know in Resogun it doesn't matter how you get humans into the capture zones? I figured that out as I used my gun to juggle a human into a capture zone while on the move. It was awesome, this game is awesome. I'm on the last level of my Veteran playthrough. Is the DLC worth getting?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yes. Oh god yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What do you know, Tomb Raider isn't indefinitely exclusive to xbox! No comment on duration of timed exclusivity, though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ign=socialoomph

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think this last stage is what hell is like.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I know it's been said a billion times by this point, but what the gently caress is up with Microsoft's PR team? They're hilariously inept and every one of their executives; even personable, chummy ol' Phil Spencer, seems to be constantly caught with their tongue flapping in ever stupid-er lashes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Also, it being a timed exclusive just makes this entire deal make even less sense for all parties involved.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, giving up on PT.

The baby cry thing has got to either be random or tied to you broadcasting or not. Either way the game becomes incredibly not scary when you are just wandering around waiting for a noise to go do something else.

I'll be getting Silent Hill, but I'm not pre ordering. I'm waiting until there's a review to let us know if there's more of this bullshit in store.

95% of the demo/trailer is fantastic, but holy gently caress that last level is just retarded.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Dan Didio posted:

Also, it being a timed exclusive just makes this entire deal make even less sense for all parties involved.

It makes a lot of sense for Square. They get a big old sack of cash from Microsoft and they don't have to go head-to-head with Uncharted on PS4, which would eat away a ton of sales from Tomb Raider.

Bone exclusive for Xmas and then PS4 early / mid 2016 when the Uncharted hype has dies down.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I know it's been said a billion times by this point, but what the gently caress is up with Microsoft's PR team? They're hilariously inept and every one of their executives; even personable, chummy ol' Phil Spencer, seems to be constantly caught with their tongue flapping in ever stupid-er lashes.
Developers and publishers are absolute, bar-none, atrocious at communication. Microsoft just go the extra mile and make others look good by comparison.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Shameless posted:

It makes a lot of sense for Square. They get a big old sack of cash from Microsoft and they don't have to go head-to-head with Uncharted on PS4, which would eat away a ton of sales from Tomb Raider.

Bone exclusive for Xmas and then PS4 early / mid 2016 when the Uncharted hype has dies down.

I really doubt it's going to play out in favour of Rise of the Tomb Raider's sales.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Oh I guess P.T. isn't that scary.
Oh nice! I got the flashlight! finally I can go watch what's in that dark co... AAAAAAAHHHH!
:argh:

(Won't be buying this, but holy poo poo it's awesome)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The real Resogun starts here.

On to Master difficulty!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

I really doubt it's going to play out in favour of Rise of the Tomb Raider's sales.

Maybe not but this way they get a big bag of Microsoft cash and try to play catchup on the PS4 later when peole who've finished Uncharted want more Tomb-Raiding action. Maybe even in a "definitive" edition.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Shameless posted:

Maybe not but this way they get the same poo poo sales they were going to get anyway going up against Uncharted plus a big bag of Microsoft cash.

Hey, if Square Enix are going to wait to sell it to us, we might as well wait to buy it... for $30 or less... a few months after it comes to PS4.

At the very least Microsoft probably agrees that people shouldn't feel the need to have to choose one console over another because its exclusives, by not having any. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder how many people will actually finish P.T. the objectives are pretty obscure but there is a real nice surprise at the end it's an announcement for a new Silent Hill game. Granted that spoiler is all over gaming news sites but it seems some people avoid those sites (rightly so they all suck poo poo).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Diablo 3 is 60GB on EU PSN. Laughing.

This includes all the language packs.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Harlock posted:

See, if we all just spoke 'Murican, this wouldn't happen, right?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Ularg posted:

Hey, if Square Enix are going to wait to sell it to us, we might as well wait to buy it... for $30 or less... a few months after it comes to PS4.

That's what I plan to do. Hell, I don't know anyone who bought the first one on release. Everyone I know got it on word-of-mouth when it had dropped to £15 or so.

I really doubt this will work in Square's favour but we don't know how big the pile of cash they got from MS was. Going up against Uncharted is not going to work out well for them because if you're going to buy only one of them then chances are it won't be Tomb Raider. It's a gamble for sure but I can see why they'd risk it.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harlock posted:

Europe should have seen this coming having so many languages like that, what a bunch of scrublords.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I wonder how many people will actually finish P.T. the objectives are pretty obscure but there is a real nice surprise at the end it's an announcement for a new Silent Hill game. Granted that spoiler is all over gaming news sites but it seems some people avoid those sites (rightly so they all suck poo poo).

I'm in the last part I think but finishing the game is a test of patience.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

NESguerilla posted:

I think that plat is for TWD which just gives it to you for playing the game lol.

I'd actually probably go for achievements/trophies if they weren't always such grindy BS. I've yet to see a game that actually sounds fun to plat since that whole system was introduced.

Infamous Second Son. Two playthroughs, and on the second you can skip anything that doesn't give you shards. The only thing annoying about platting it is you can't skip cutscenes. I haven't checked in a while but a really high number of people got it, especially considering the stats on how many people never even bother to beat a game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shameless posted:

Maybe not but this way they get a big bag of Microsoft cash

It's this. MS strolls in and offers more money than SE would have made in the first 3 months on all platforms to be a pack in game in the latest failed xbone sku.

P-niiice
May 21, 2001

I have you now.
I'm with the earlier poster - the quirky Indie games just don't grab me, including the ones universally agreed upon as good that are out now. Different strokes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Harlock posted:

I really don't understand how there's an extra 30gb of "language packs" compared to the US version. Is the audio in Super HD Aliendefinition or something?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dan Didio posted:

Less sense for microsoft, but more sense for squareenix. They miss out on the Xmas season on PS4, but then release in march and most of the people who would have bought it on PS4 in december if it was available buy in march (because by that time they've finished playing uncharted). I liked the last tomb raider game (combined with far cry 3 it was a good year for bow-murdering people) but I'm not fussed whether the new one comes out next Xmas or 3-6 months later. Plus they can throw in whatever cosmetic/early unlock weapons pre-order DLC they offer for preorders at various retailers on the Xbone and call it the "enhanced edition" or something. Outside of a handful of rabid sony fanboys no-one is seriously going to boycott tomb raider just because it released on the bone first.

So Squenix dont lose much, just delay a portion of their sales, and have presumably a big chunk of microsofts money for the trouble. I dont really see the point from Microsofts side though, this cant have been cheap, and I dont see a true exclusive tomb raider game shifting consoles, let alone one that they have basically paid to delay on their rivals console.

Although someone a few months ago was saying that the numbers show that as a general rule, one game doesnt shift consoles. They had graphs it was all very convincing. Instead people buy consoles when there is a number of games they want to play on the console, so maybe they are hoping that TR will be the game that puts people over the line from "Maybe a new console soon" to "Yeah, might as well just get one now". I dont see it myself, next Xmas is a fair time away if you are hoping that tomb raider will bump your sales figures it does nothing to help them for the next 12 months.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

P-niiice posted:

I'm with the earlier poster - the quirky Indie games just don't grab me, including the ones universally agreed upon as good that are out now. Different strokes.

Wrap it up. Better stop making them if it's not for me. Personally not a huge rap fan myself so I guess I don't care if they keep making that either.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't care how quirky or indie or mainstream or big-budget something is- if it appeals to me I'll play it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
PS4 Thread: loving indie games am i rite?

Opinions are opinions, but I still think the viewpoint makes no sense. It's like saying all handheld games are terrible because they are on a handheld system. You are disregarding an entire segment of gaming because why exactly? Because they don't have multimillion dollar budgets?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Infamous Second Son. Two playthroughs, and on the second you can skip anything that doesn't give you shards. The only thing annoying about platting it is you can't skip cutscenes. I haven't checked in a while but a really high number of people got it, especially considering the stats on how many people never even bother to beat a game.

Yeah, I think Second Son will be my first platinum trophy (but I am admittedly a trophy scrub anyway). I just have to get the trophy for the air vents and finish the game on Expert.

I'm glad it's been confirmed that Tomb Raider is a timed Xbone exclusive. I hope Square got a ton of money for it to offset the Final Fantasy development costs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wild, and Rime are two indie games announced yesterday at GamesCom that are worth paying attention to. Wild is exclusive to PS4 and I think Rime is a timed exclusive.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

superh posted:

Wrap it up. Better stop making them if it's not for me. Personally not a huge rap fan myself so I guess I don't care if they keep making that either.

There's really nothing wrong in not being interested in Indie games. What's wrong is believing they shouldn't exist or going "The PS4 just don't have any games" while owning a PS4.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

EC posted:

I really don't understand how there's an extra 30gb of "language packs" compared to the US version. Is the audio in Super HD Aliendefinition or something?

I know it's come up before but I'm leaning towards getting the US version instead - this shouldn't affect the servers I connect to will it (based in the UK).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I said come in! posted:

Wild, and Rime are two indie games announced yesterday at GamesCom that are worth paying attention to. Wild is exclusive to PS4 and I think Rime is a timed exclusive.

Both are plain exclusive. Sony owns the IPs.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What I'm stuck on in P.T. is what appears to be the last part...at least I'm hoping it is.

Walking through hallways sometimes makes the flashlight red, yellow, blue or green and I've no idea what triggers this...looking at something on the walls, I guess? Waiting around during this stage of the game makes the clock finally turn over to midnight, and the ghost thing appears at that time, occassionally killing me depending on where it is. Also once in a while the clock's numbers aren't on at all, but waiting around still makes midnight kick in.

Still, atmospheric as hell.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

EC posted:

It's probably because there are a lot of voiced lines for the main character, and with 12 different voices and however many languages that adds up very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This has to be the coolest way of announcing a new game I've seen in a long time. Plus, the people involved? Hideo Kojima and loving Guillermo del Toro? I haven't been this excited for a horror game since... Silent Hill 3, actually.

• Locked thread