Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, played against a Gangplank today and he was completely happy just Q'ing me into a huge lead. People dump on her W as a worthless skill but it's a fantastic level 1 take against empowered AA champs Nasus or Wukong, as it's basically a single skill that completely counters them. Having 35 extra AD at level 9 in addition to the likely build order of pure AD and lifesteal just makes her a beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

mango sentinel posted:

Oh god it actually is Jetstream Yasuo

Crap. Now I actually have to relearn how to play Yasuo instead of just being a huge salty baby about the game.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

We also need Senator Mundo.

Senator Vi. Whenever she dunks she shouts out "Don't gently caress with THIS senator!"

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Arrrthritis posted:

Senator Vi. Whenever she dunks she shouts out "Don't gently caress with THIS senator!"

We need all 'dunk' ults to be made 'senator' skins with phrases like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Only if Vladimir gets one.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Colonel Squish posted:

How did Rammus find his way back to the top of the win-rate charts? He was in this exact position several months ago and they specifically addressed and solved the issue by taking a third of the time off of his taunt.

Reporting comes down to reporting the person who you personally believe deserves to get banned on your own. Trying to sway other people is usually annoying and done way too often when things are ambiguous. Sometimes a reminder is okay. "Hey, report that obviously feeding dude. Thanks."

Golem helped a fair amount, but the biggest reason is people know the exact circumstances where he thrives and pick him against teams who sport 4-5 ADs, which isn't an uncommon composition right now.

So when he's played, he's often played in a situation where he's very strong.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Anyone play Kassadin on this patch yet? That 12 to 20 second increase looks horrible.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

exethan posted:

Anyone play Kassadin on this patch yet? That 12 to 20 second increase looks horrible.

Yeah I've been wondering how he's playing right now. Not sure I fancy being the one to try though.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Maybe I should pick up Fiora instead of Rengar since he's getting nerfed? Or does his nerf not look that bad?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

lilspooky posted:

Maybe I should pick up Fiora instead of Rengar since he's getting nerfed? Or does his nerf not look that bad?

The cooldown nerf on his ultimate is pretty big. I think it's a significant nerf.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

lilspooky posted:

Honestly, unless you're going jungle, if you just want a top/mid instead of a top/jungle. I'd say fiora is your bet pick, if you can play her well, she's a brilliant carry, and her dives are lethal.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Please no I can't lose Vi :qq:

What are they doing to Vi? I haven't seen anything change-related to her in awhile.

lilspooky posted:

They are completely different characters with vastly different item builds and play styles. If you are at the point where you are still expanding your character pool, you should probably work your way through anything that you enjoy playing when it is free week and then buy those champions with IP whenever you can. It's pointless to try and predict and ride out the cycles of nerfs and buffs, they are never-ending, rest assured if you enjoy playing anything that is objectively strong it will be nerfed eventually.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

lilspooky posted:

If you want a similar "literally eat poo poo adcs" experience to Rengar you can try out Talon :eng101:

E: Comparing Fiora to anybody, though, your best bet is Master Yi. Both have similar "use temporary removal from the game to dodge while doing damage" mechanics(with Fiora's being considerably stronger than Yi's), and they have the same "squishy but with strong timing based defenses", with Fiora's being less general purpose than Meditate but much simpler. Fiora, compared to Yi, however, is a much stronger laner and takes way less mechanics to play well with once you get out of trench MMR. Fiora is very atypical for an AD assassin because she transitions into a walking team-fight nuke that also has cleanup potential.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 13, 2014

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What are you guys doing when Fiora's ult is down? I find I can get ahead top with her but I can't close out games because teamfights either happen too quickly or my team doesn't engage with me.

GEExCEE
Sep 19, 2012

Libertine posted:

If you are at the point where you are still expanding your character pool, you should probably work your way through anything that you enjoy playing when it is free week and then buy those champions with IP whenever you can. It's pointless to try and predict and ride out the cycles of nerfs and buffs, they are never-ending, rest assured if you enjoy playing anything that is objectively strong it will be nerfed eventually.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

KidDynamite posted:

What are you guys doing when Fiora's ult is down? I find I can get ahead top with her but I can't close out games because teamfights either happen too quickly or my team doesn't engage with me.

You can't really use it as an engage unless
- you're sickeningly fed
- you've caught a squishy target out and can one-combo them
- your team has really good follow-up cc

wait until the right moment to go in, so then by the time you've used it, you should be able to finish off people with Qs and stuff.

Build CDR so you can stick on people else you're going to run around being useless waiting for your Q CD

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

open in order
1 http://images.wikia.com/leagueoflegends/images/2/2e/SadRobotAmumu.attack6.ogg
2 http://images.wikia.com/leagueoflegends/images/2/29/SadRobotAmumu.joke.ogg
3 http://images.wikia.com/leagueoflegends/images/5/57/SadRobotAmumu.attack4.ogg

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

That's so creepy, man.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
9-2 in my last eleven games, all as support. 21-9 (70% win rate) in my last 30 games playing support. Please don't burst anytime soon, recent win bubble.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Omnikin posted:

9-2 in my last eleven games, all as support. 21-9 (70% win rate) in my last 30 games playing support. Please don't burst anytime soon, recent win bubble.

I wish you luck and many promotions. Good going.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

AHH FUGH posted:

Yeah, played against a Gangplank today and he was completely happy just Q'ing me into a huge lead. People dump on her W as a worthless skill but it's a fantastic level 1 take against empowered AA champs Nasus or Wukong, as it's basically a single skill that completely counters them. Having 35 extra AD at level 9 in addition to the likely build order of pure AD and lifesteal just makes her a beast.

This gets brought up every time Fiora is mentioned but you're usually much better off maxing Q first. +50 base damage and -2 seconds cooldown on your mobility skill are going to be more useful than +5 ad and -1 second cooldown on riposte.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

glomkettle posted:

This gets brought up every time Fiora is mentioned but you're usually much better off maxing Q first. +50 base damage and -2 seconds cooldown on your mobility skill are going to be more useful than +5 ad and -1 second cooldown on riposte.

and if you're playing against Gangplank as Fiora he will be dead 90% of the time anyway

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Libertine posted:

What are they doing to Vi? I haven't seen anything change-related to her in awhile.

They are completely different characters with vastly different item builds and play styles. If you are at the point where you are still expanding your character pool, you should probably work your way through anything that you enjoy playing when it is free week and then buy those champions with IP whenever you can. It's pointless to try and predict and ride out the cycles of nerfs and buffs, they are never-ending, rest assured if you enjoy playing anything that is objectively strong it will be nerfed eventually.

Unless you rode the Renekton train. That poo poo took like a year.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

glomkettle posted:

Maxing it is ill-advised, but at level 1 it can handily win you early trades.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Wow I'm on another wicked losing streak.

Highlights of last night was being told I was solely responsible for losing the game in two different games:

(i) because I took Fiora jungle, and was therefore responsible for our team's 15 deaths in the first 12 minutes of the game (none of those deaths being mine - I was actually 2/1/2 at the time); and

(ii) because I took Fiddlesticks, and he is a "completely non-viable jungler", apparently despite his 53-54% solo queue winrate.

League - displaying the logical abilities of tomorrow's future leaders.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Riot bring back Robot Amumu's global laugh, tia

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

none of those deaths being mine - I was actually 2/1/2 at the time)

????

It might seem like it's nitpicking but where you die as a jungler can have an absolutely profound impact on the game. I'm sure everyone has their own "what the gently caress the jungler died, gave double buffs to their mid and now their mid is like 9/0/0" story and while not all deaths are as drastic as that there exists the possibility that to the people you're playing with your death had that effect on the game.

With that said the second complaint is almost definitely entirely based in anecdotal evidence. Maybe they think Fiddlesticks is bad because their only frame of reference is the Fiddlesticks ult montage video from the OP :v:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

(i) because I took Fiora jungle, and was therefore responsible for our team's 15 deaths in the first 12 minutes of the game (none of those deaths being mine - I was actually 2/1/2 at the time)

Not to say this is why you lost, but if you're picking an assassin jungle you need to be wrecking the poo poo out of the enemy team. Maybe you could have picked someone with some CC and saved your team some deaths?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

my pog boyfriend posted:

????

It might seem like it's nitpicking but where you die as a jungler can have an absolutely profound impact on the game. I'm sure everyone has their own "what the gently caress the jungler died, gave double buffs to their mid and now their mid is like 9/0/0" story and while not all deaths are as drastic as that there exists the possibility that to the people you're playing with your death had that effect on the game.

With that said the second complaint is almost definitely entirely based in anecdotal evidence. Maybe they think Fiddlesticks is bad because their only frame of reference is the Fiddlesticks ult montage video from the OP :v:

Anytime a jungler rolls into a lane and dies without getting something in return, its going to piss the person off.

Crazy Larry posted:

Not to say this is why you lost, but if you're picking an assassin jungle you need to be wrecking the poo poo out of the enemy team. Maybe you could have picked someone with some CC and saved your team some deaths?

I mean if he's 2-1-2 I am assuming he at least had some lane presence, but yeah.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 13, 2014

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008
The Yasuo skin is Raiden, not Sam. He's got the white hair, the visor, and he does the sword-heel thing as one of his taunts. Turn in your nerd badges at the door.

fnox
May 19, 2013

TheBuckmister posted:

The Yasuo skin is Raiden, not Sam. He's got the white hair, the visor, and he does the sword-heel thing as one of his taunts. Turn in your nerd badges at the door.

It should be Sam, that's the whole point. It would totally loving fit him.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

TheBuckmister posted:

Did they change his ult hitting multiple people to a deadly breakdance of swords and swinging bodies

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Yeah, that was my bad. The overall point I was making was that for the longest time, none of the deaths was mine. I think I did pick one up sometime between 10-15 minutes into the game. But again, that was 1/15 of the deaths, and I actually got a couple of kills and assists to go with that. The rest of the team was literally something like a combined 2 kills 14 deaths, without any turrets or anything else.

my pog boyfriend posted:

No, not nitpicking, that makes sense. I didn't give over double buffs or anything like that, but I did die at some point.

I will own up to Fiora not exactly being the best possible jungle material, and this was definitely not a case of, "Oh my god, I'm carrying so hard, but I can't carry these scrubs." I was not playing a great game. I was mediocre at best, even for my lovely ELO. My point instead is the delusion of somehow thinking that approximately 15 lane deaths in the first 10-15 minutes of the game were all clearly caused by jungle doing something wrong. Everyone on the team was ranting about me. I just do not understand how people can be so delusional as to not own up (mentally) to any of their own gently caress ups. I mean, when you get double-killed bot because their bot lane outplayed you (and it didn't even involve a gank from their jungler), how are you possibly ranting about how you only died because you didn't get a gank? Like four minutes into the game?

Again, I know, just a long-winded way of saying Dunning-Krueger.

my pog boyfriend posted:

God knows I've performed some really bad(okay, honestly, probably more bad than good) Fiddlesticks ults in my time. But Fiddlesticks in particular feels to me like one of those characters that can be made to look particularly bad dependent on the team. Nothing sadder than intentionally making sure your teammates are around, ulting into a group of the enemy with Zhonyas, watching 3-4 enemy healthbars drop to about 30%, and then you come out of Zhonya's discovering that your full health team has inexplicably has run away. You just want to cry.

Of course, I've had my share of Fiddlesticks ults where I'm clearly too far ahead of the team to allow them to get there (just like I've had my share of Jarvan ults where I lock four opponents in the cage stupidly when if I look back on it, my team couldn't possibly get there to help me). So I'm not going to be too judgmental on that aspect of things. I just thought the concept of Fiddlesticks being "completely non-viable," said in such a certain and knowing manner, was hilarious.

Crazy Larry posted:

No question, that's on me. I should have been destroying people more, and as I said, Fiora is a non-traditional pick and I did not have a great game. But I was playing her Feral Flare, and I would at least have liked to have had the chance to get 10 minutes or so into the game without being down 15 kills and some lost turrets. And as was said earlier, I did have a couple of kills and a couple of assists, so it's not like I was doing absolutely nothing.

I definitely should have played better - I was just more amazed that literally all 15 deaths could somehow be ascribed to be the jungler's sole fault in their minds (they literally said that, "All those deaths are because you haven't ganked," never mind that I somehow got a couple of kills and assists apparently without ganking).

I think that I probably just need to stop playing anyone who isn't immediately recognized as a "jungler" in the Bronze/Silver world. It just throws people off too much, whether it is right or wrong. Of course I'm stupid, so I'll probably keep playing things like Fiora jungle anyway. :)

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 13, 2014

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

TheBuckmister posted:

Ah, but his sword is red! Checkmate :smug:

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

My point instead is the delusion of somehow thinking that approximately 15 lane deaths in the first 10-15 minutes of the game were all clearly caused by jungle doing something wrong. Everyone on the team was ranting about me. I just do not understand how people can be so delusional as to not own up (mentally) to any of their own gently caress ups. I mean, when you get double-killed bot because their bot lane outplayed you (and it didn't even involve a gank from their jungler), how are you possibly ranting about how you only died because you didn't get a gank? Like four minutes into the game?

That's the problem with playing something silly like Fiora jungle, though: you have to prove to them that it's not a bad idea, and it sounds like you failed to do so. With Fiora jungle in particular, though, it's the sort of team-warping thing that requires everyone else to pick specific roles since she's a glass cannon jungler with zero CC who can't really initiate on her own. That is a LOT of checkboxes that need to be ticked by other people, when in the current meta it's mostly the jungler's job to bring some combination of tankiness/CC/initiation.

Even if botlane lost a 2v2 straight up, they might be thinking "if we had a traditional jungler who could more easily assist lanes and get them rolling, this game might actually still be winnable." It's still totally a form of deflection, but that's the sort of mindset you have to deal with in order to justify a wacky pick.

I'm sure you actually did fine, but teammates are going to hold you to a (sometimes) impossibly high standard if you pick something that seems weird to them.

Now the Fiddle hate is just straight up silly, he rules. :colbert:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I would add that the previous advice in this thread about not whining or ranting about a teammates "bad pick" is spot on. I definitely have weakness there, and I need to improve myself in that area.

The Fiddlesticks jungle game is what completely drove it home for me. They were ranting literally from the moment the game begin about my "terrible choice" of jungler, and how Fiddlestick was non-viable.

The point is that in their heads, they obviously really assumed they were right. But even if they were right (and they obviously weren't), all it could possibly do is gently caress up the game and throw off the team chemistry. Even if you are right about your teammates lovely pick, you are not going to accomplish anything by talking about it. All you are going to do is some combination of: (i) piss him off; (ii) destroy his morale and make him play worse; and/or (iii) screw yourself up, because in your certainty that the person doesn't know what they're doing, you're going to ruin your own morale, start making goofy plays to "make up" for the bad pick, etc.

None of which are going to possibly have a good effect on your game.

Plus, in the constant need to have everything reflect solely on whether it helps you win or lose, I think we sometimes lose track of the fact that even if you are right about something, making other people feel bad really isn't a good thing in its own right. I will admit that I have had some games where I have raised someone's lovely play in chat and felt bad about it, because they clearly felt bad about it. It feels like kicking a puppy (okay, what I assume kicking a puppy would feel like - I cannot say I've ever kicked a puppy intentionally).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Wait, who the hell thinks Fiddlesticks is a bad jungler? Sure he isn't exactly the current meta of beefy bruiser junglers but other than being squishy has exactly everything a jungler needs.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

We also need Senator Mundo.

NANOMACHINES, SLURRRRP

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wait, who the hell thinks Fiddlesticks is a bad jungler? Sure he isn't exactly the current meta of beefy bruiser junglers but other than being squishy has exactly everything a jungler needs.

his initiate sucks, he's too slow. to use your ult you'd need a flash handy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Arrrthritis posted:

I think I'd prefer if it was Darius. His voice is perfect for "Played college ball, you know." "Could have gone pro if I didn't join the navy." "I could break the king of noxus in two... with my bare hands!"

• Locked thread