Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I too am going to pay multiple dollars of Obama's fiat money for this game now that I know it's bad and/or I am still holding out hope it will be fixed by some future supplement or celestial phenomenon. I love sitting on the toilet reading about how powerful wizards are, and imagining how powerful they won't be in the near future because of the work ethic and competence of one Mike Mearls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, it's not as if we didn't know this board is where all the 4e grogs hang out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Full disclosure, I plan to dig it out of a $5 used bin in three years.

Edit: that's hella disingenuous, yo

moths fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 13, 2014

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Payndz posted:

RAW, doesn't Animate Dead only allow you to create at most 13 skeletons at once, not 40+? You get two extra per level of spell slot used, not the caster's actual level. So if you cast it from your L9 spell slot that's your initial one skeleton, plus two for each of the six slot levels above 3rd. (Arcane Recovery lets you create another 13 that day, I guess, assuming you're L18 or higher.)

I think the problem is there's nothing to stop you from casting Animate Dead multiple times with every spell slot you've got until you're drowning in skeletons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Or resting eight hours and using the same slot again.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

treeboy posted:

over the past couple pages it's really sunk in that by and large nobody here is even planning on playing the game or interested in running the game or assisting those that do. The vast majority of posts are by people who have zero interest in D&D, or this edition, and will not be purchasing the rules. For this reason I'm not sure why the thread even exists, it serves no practical purpose.

I don't bemoan people their DW's or 13A or any other games, many sound fun and would be very much worth running at some point, but for those of us trying to give the new edition a legitimate shot this thread is toxic and, ultimately useless.

Even the occasionally critical but worthwhile posts are lost beneath a sea of dumb meme-like poo poo in some pseudo self-congratulatory circle jerk of people who are far too erudite or experienced to lower themselves to this game. It overall represents a complete lack of good faith on the parts of posters here, who care more about who wrote the game than the game itself, to even begin to care about dealing with issues that do or could arise from the rules.

I have an interest in D&D. I will try 5e at least once or twice. However, what people have been discovering about 5e is that it's lazy copy-paste design jazzed up by some really nice art. Example - Advantage/Disadvantage is a Cool Thing sort of lifted from FATE that circumvents the need for flat modifiers! Plus, it seems to make a lot of sense. Throw 50+ skeletons at it - which is something totally rules-legal and not at all an obscure combo - and this Cool Thing starts to strain under the weight of a poorly thought-out system, demonstrating that despite the whole 'public playtest' thing, they never really released enough materials for people to actually properly playtest the system and find out what doesn't work.

In short, they went back and rehashed old materials and slapped on some new paint without thoroughly testing how the two interacted with each other. That's lazy design and sloppy testing. They also subscribed to the "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" school of design by deigning all rules conflicts (of which there are many thanks to the design) to be the province of the DM, in addition to the grand return of the severely overpowered wizard.

Let me put it this way - you know when you were a kid and your favorite drat thing in the world was a hot dog (or rough crappy-food equivalent)? Like seriously, you liked hot dogs so much you had them every drat meal and you'd turn your nose up at the notion of something like sushi. Eventually though you grow up and you learn how to cook real food or you go out to restaurants and have real food and that poo poo is just mind-blowing.

3e is like that crappy food you liked as a kid. Sure, it's not great but it was loving AMAZING at the time.
4e is like that food you grow up to appreciate. Yeah, it's weird at first but you end up liking it.
5e is like going to a sushi place and having them slam down a big ol' bratwurst in front of you. Yes, it's better than the hot dogs you used to eat as a kid, but you were expecting some decent sushi.

Edit: The fact that we're already finding ways to break the game kind of goes to show you that hiring Zak S. and RPGPundit as consultants for the express purpose of 'breaking the game' was a waste of money. Nevermind their personal politics and public failings - WotC didn't give them what they needed (like, uh, the entire system) in order to break it.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 13, 2014

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I think the problem is there's nothing to stop you from casting Animate Dead multiple times with every spell slot you've got until you're drowning in skeletons.

Drowning in Skeletons is the name of my Zeppelin cover band / LARP crew.

In regards to the tone of the discussion regarding 5e, there is a difference between criticism and cynicism. This thread represents good examples of both, but it's clear that there are some deep, fundamental issues with the very mechanical fabric of Next/5e that have largely been solved by many recent games. The overall power of the Animate Dead spell, regardless of whether it was intentional or not, shows a lack of testing and evaluation which could have been avoided in the last few years that the game has been worked on.

In a game largely acclaimed as the frontrunner of the entire industry, that is concerning.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, it's not as if we didn't know this board is where all the 4e grogs hang out.
More fair to say that the board values tight mechanical design. That the two populations overlap isn't very surprising.

It's why you see more criticisms of 5e's mechanics, instead of more grumbling about warlords. (there is some of that, too, but recent talk has been about 5e's own mechanics.)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Payndz posted:

RAW, doesn't Animate Dead only allow you to create at most 13 skeletons at once, not 40+? You get two extra per level of spell slot used, not the caster's actual level. So if you cast it from your L9 spell slot that's your initial one skeleton, plus two for each of the six slot levels above 3rd. (Arcane Recovery lets you create another 13 that day, I guess, assuming you're L18 or higher.)

Still, even just 13 skeletons with shortbows should be enough for most people if they want to ruin someone's day.

Skeletons.

Fake edit: I also just noticed this in the Basic DMG: "A green dragon is recognised by the crest that begins near its eyes and continues down its spine, reaching full height just behind the skull." Not because, I dunno, it's green?

The spell dosent have to be maintained, you cast it and the skeletons exist forever (till they get undeaded by damage) every day you can recast the spell at a more efficient way to maintain control of them (base 4 +2 / level above third) so you can control 20 skeletons with 2 3rd level slots and 2 4th level (4+4+6+6)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

LuiCypher posted:

Edit: The fact that we're already finding ways to break the game kind of goes to show you that hiring Zak S. and RPGPundit as consultants for the express purpose of 'breaking the game' was a waste of money. Nevermind their personal politics and public failings - they simply didn't do their jobs. Either that or WotC didn't give them what they needed (like, uh, the entire system) in order to break it.
If they received the same amount of information that the private playtest did then they didn't give them what they needed. I know someone who basically said that they weren't done with the spell list at a time in which they should have been publishing the book.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

MadScientistWorking posted:

If they received the same amount of information that the private playtest did then they didn't give them what they needed. I know someone who basically said that they weren't done with the spell list at a time in which they should have been publishing the book.

Thanks for the clarification - I changed my above post to point more fairly at WotC, since I'm now fairly certain they poo poo the bed on that one.

Edit: Still a waste of money to hire consultants to break an unfinished product. It's very clear that this entire edition was rushed out the door to make it out this year for some reason...

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 13, 2014

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Stormgale posted:

The spell dosent have to be maintained, you cast it and the skeletons exist forever (till they get undeaded by damage) every day you can recast the spell at a more efficient way to maintain control of them (base 4 +2 / level above third) so you can control 20 skeletons with 2 3rd level slots and 2 4th level (4+4+6+6)

This is one of the things that really shows they're even ignoring stuff from 3.5, Animate Dead imposed a hard limit of how many skeletons you could control based on your caster level.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

There's plenty of stuff in the February playtest that wasn't fixed, including Animate Dead.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So does anyone have the adventure?

I've heard the pdf is required for running it, since it doesn't have stat blocks? Is this right? If so, what were they thinking?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Stormgale posted:

Okay, now I'm going to try to hit Peak Skeleton.

An L20 wizard (a necromancer, obviously) gets mastery of two L3 spells, which can be cast at-will as if in L3 slots any number of times with a short rest between them. Animate Dead is an L3 spell. So let's say that Nigel Necro has just woken up after a nice long rest, which he used to make sure that every one of his spell slots of L3 or higher is filled with Animate Dead (he's been planning this for a while). So that's 15 castings (3@L3, 3@L4, 3@L5, 2@L6, 2@L7, 1@L8 and 1@L9), and his plan is to take four short rests over the course of the day. That gives him another five L3 castings thanks to Signature Spell. Shame both of those can't be the same spell, but hey.

So in terms of numbers of skeletons produced per day, that's 8@L3, 9@L4 (1+2, x3), 15@L5 (1+4, x3), 21@L6 (1+6, x3), 27@L7 (1+8, x3), 33@L8 (1+10, x3) and 39@L9 (1+12, x3). That's a grand total of 152 skeletons. Not bad for a day's work! And there's still enough time left in the 24 hour period to use part of a single action to command them to gently caress up somebody's poo poo.

Fake edit: poo poo, I forgot that he can recover ten levels-worth of spell slots once per day during a short rest, too! So that could be one L6 and one L4 slot of Animate Dead, or two L5s - either way, that's another 30 skeletons. 182 in all!

Real edit: oops, shat the bed there with the maths because I cast each level three times. It should actually be 8@L3, 9@L4 (1+2, x3), 15@L5 (1+4, x3), 14@L6 (1+6, x2), 18@L7 (1+8, x2), 11@L8 (1+10, x1) and 13@L9 (1+12, x1), for a mere 88, then only an extra 10 from the spell recovery. Only 98 skeletons. Sorry, Nigel. :smith:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 13, 2014

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Best thing about 5e is the idea of a setting run by rear end in a top hat wizards having contracts with towns and running poo poo. I'm already imaging Wizard World.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dwarf74 posted:

I've heard the pdf is required for running it, since it doesn't have stat blocks? Is this right? If so, what were they thinking?

Buddy of mine started running it last night, I can confirm that this is true as it pertains to monsters but not NPCs. Also I ran Murder in Baldur's Gate to screw with the playtest rules months ago and it had the exact same issue.

It's like this is SOP or something now. That said, it's like 96 pages without most of the stat blocks, which implies that there is a lot of something in there.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Payndz posted:

Okay, now I'm going to try to hit Peak Skeleton.

An L20 wizard (a necromancer, obviously) gets mastery of two L3 spells, which can be cast at-will as if in L3 slots any number of times with a short rest between them. Animate Dead is an L3 spell. So let's say that Nigel Necro has just woken up after a nice long rest, which he used to make sure that every one of his spell slots of L3 or higher is filled with Animate Dead (he's been planning this for a while). So that's 15 castings (3@L3, 3@L4, 3@L5, 2@L6, 2@L7, 1@L8 and 1@L9), and his plan is to take four short rests over the course of the day. That gives him another five L3 castings thanks to Signature Spell. Shame both of those can't be the same spell, but hey.

So in terms of numbers of skeletons produced per day, that's 8@L3, 9@L4 (1+2, x3), 15@L5 (1+4, x3), 21@L6 (1+6, x3), 27@L7 (1+8, x3), 33@L8 (1+10, x3) and 39@L9 (1+12, x3). That's a grand total of 152 skeletons. Not bad for a day's work! And there's still enough time left in the 24 hour period to use part of a single action to command them to gently caress up somebody's poo poo.

Fake edit: poo poo, I forgot that he can recover ten levels-worth of spell slots once per day during a short rest, too! So that could be one L6 and one L4 slot of Animate Dead, or two L5s - either way, that's another 30 skeletons. 182 in all!

I'm just waiting to see which splatbook is going to bring the Permanency spell back... :allears:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Alright, since 5e is going with "Ranger spends their action on their pet attacking," can a ranger upgrade their pet equivalent to a weapon? Like, if they decide to focus on BEASTMASTERING instead of archery or stabbing, will their damage scale?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

LuiCypher posted:

I'm just waiting to see which splatbook is going to bring the Permanency spell back... :allears:

Yet another example of how wizards got really OPed in 3rd ed. Permanency used to permanently(ha!)lower your Constitution by 1, no excepts, no restorations. Which pretty much puts a hard limit on how many times you can cast it. Add in a possibility of failure so you lose that Con for nothing, and it starts not looking like such a good spell.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

That they did not want to clog up the book with 30 extra pages of monster stats. They included all the NPCs in the book and I prefer the supplement being a pdf to being in the book. Plus I think you would like it better like this. You have stated you hate having to look up monster powers and if the monster stats are in a different document you don't have to flip through the book looking for the monster stats.

http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/HoardDragonQueen_Supplement1.pdf

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Alright, since 5e is going with "Ranger spends their action on their pet attacking," can a ranger upgrade their pet equivalent to a weapon? Like, if they decide to focus on BEASTMASTERING instead of archery or stabbing, will their damage scale?
Yeah, beasts get to add your proficiency to their everything, including damage. The mastiff, hawk, and panther aren't the best, though. A pteranodon will eventually be hitting twice at +9 for 2d4+7 damage, with flyby (doesn't provoke opp attacks), and is medium so a halfling might be able to ride it. A medium wolf: +10, advantage with adjacent ally, for 2d4+8 piercing, DC 11 str save or prone.

I think the best damage is the Flying Snake (+12, 7 piercing +3d4 no-save poison, flyby) but it's tiny so no flying mount.

If the you take Damage Feats and stat boosts you'll probably outdamage the beast hit for hit, but since you top out at two attacks and get to trade one of yours for two of the beast's, it's probably worth it. There's also things like being able to share speed and spells, using it as cover or a meatshield. Even if the enemy has some bullshit immunity the beast can still throw out Help for your bonus action.

Were I to play one, I think I'd end up as a halfling with two hand crossbows on a pteranodon, and kite dragons to death solo.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

MonsterEnvy posted:

That they did not want to clog up the book with 30 extra pages of monster stats. They included all the NPCs in the book and I prefer the supplement being a pdf to being in the book. Plus I think you would like it better like this. You have stated you hate having to look up monster powers and if the monster stats are in a different document you don't have to flip through the book looking for the monster stats.

But they put 32 extra pages in the Monster Manual for us free of charge! I call shenanigans on WotC.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Just checked out the morning star app on an iPad. Has promise, I'll play with it some more later this gencon.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

You don't have to flip through the adventure book to find the relevant monster stats, but you have to flip through an entirely separate document. It doesn't address that problem at all.

Are you really saying it's more convenient to not include the relevant stats for the monsters in a published adventure?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

if the monster stats are in a different document you don't have to flip through the book looking for the monster stats.

"We heard people didn't like flipping back & forth in the book, so we decided to put relevant material somewhere else entirely."

In all seriousness, I get what you're saying; print the pdf and have it open to the monster(s) while the adventure book is open to whatever. Just seems odd to not have it all together from the start.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Umber Hulk. http://dreadgazebo.net/5e-dnd-monster-preview-umber-hulk/

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

MonsterEnvy posted:

OR, or, or, they could have monster stats be concise and only the things you need to know about the monsters (Damage, HP, Defenses, Attacks, special abilities, maybe a little note for demeanor), not give monsters spells or SLA's and take up, like, half a page at most in the relevant page so that it's simple and convenient! Oh, and not caring about slightly bloated pagecount on a thing you're releasing as a free PDF.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I made a chart of how many skeletons it takes to beat the Fighter's DPR, on average, at each PC level and enemy AC:

I've included my earlier chart of how many skeletons you can summon or control at each level, too.

There's been a lot of talk about the crazy number of skeletons you can summon, but not much about how few it takes to obsolete other classes.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 13, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

OR, or, or, they could have monster stats be concise and only the things you need to know about the monsters (Damage, HP, Defenses, Attacks, special abilities, maybe a little note for demeanor), not give monsters spells or SLA's and take up, like, half a page at most in the relevant page so that it's simple and convenient! Oh, and not caring about slightly bloated pagecount on a thing you're releasing as a free PDF.

Another thing that's nice about it being a free pdf is the fact that it is free and you can use these monsters even if you don't own the adventure.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Payndz posted:

Fake edit: I also just noticed this in the Basic DMG: "A green dragon is recognised by the crest that begins near its eyes and continues down its spine, reaching full height just behind the skull." Not because, I dunno, it's green?

All Next adventures actually happen in black and white for full nostalgia.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Mormon Star Wars posted:

slydingdoor posted:

Yeah, beasts get to add your proficiency to their everything, including damage. The mastiff, hawk, and panther aren't the best, though. A pteranodon will eventually be hitting twice at +9 for 2d4+7 damage, with flyby (doesn't provoke opp attacks), and is medium so a halfling might be able to ride it. A medium wolf: +10, advantage with adjacent ally, for 2d4+8 piercing, DC 11 str save or prone.

I think the best damage is the Flying Snake (+12, 7 piercing +3d4 no-save poison, flyby) but it's tiny so no flying mount.

If the you take Damage Feats and stat boosts you'll probably outdamage the beast hit for hit, but since you top out at two attacks and get to trade one of yours for two of the beast's, it's probably worth it. There's also things like being able to share speed and spells, using it as cover or a meatshield. Even if the enemy has some bullshit immunity the beast can still throw out Help for your bonus action.

At Ranger 11th your pet gets two attacks per your "Attack" order, so that's something. At that point you can get one of your weapon attacks and two of its whatevers OR using its "Help" you can get two attacks, one with Advantage. Aside from small defensive buffs like casting Barkskin for AC or temporary HP from Enhance Ability, I can't really find much about making companions any better at all. Not even a Magic Fang in this edition so far. I guess you could buy it some barding at quadruple the cost of regular armor and see if your GM will allow you to get a Wizard to enchant it. How hard can it be to buy some plate mail for your flying snake?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

One really good thing about this edition is that all the art I've seen is rad as hell.

I do have a rules question about this monster entry. What happens if Dispel Magic is cast on a PC that's been affected by the Umber Hulk's Confusing Gaze? What happens to the Confusing Gaze ability if Counterspell is cast?

This is a question about the rules that we can all see for those things, not anything else.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 13, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jack the Lad posted:

I made a chart of how many skeletons it takes to beat the Fighter's DPR, on average, at each PC level and enemy AC:

I've included my earlier chart of how many skeletons you can summon or control at each level, too.

There's been a lot of talk about the crazy number of skeletons you can summon, but not much about how few it takes to obsolete other classes.
You're doing the Lord's work, here Jack.

What assumptions were made for the Fighter?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Remember 2e Planescape? The box set came with a monstrous supplement with some cool poo poo in it, and then there were 3 or 4 separate monster books you could buy and then there were various other adventures and box sets and stuff that all had more monsters. Then you had the way Planescape could take you to and from literally every other published setting, and then there are NPCs and stuff to consider too. Basically, there were more potential monsters and opponents that all other published settings combined.

When any monster or opponent appeared in an adventure, there were these tiny 3-line stripped statblocks to help you out. They had the relevant stuff for the encounter.

Those were awesome. They didn't really take up much space. A full adventure would probably have 1-2 pages of those total, were you to put them all together with spacing and stuff.

e: If you wanted to do this for Next, you could.

Warriors(4)(Orc/CE): S+3,D+1,C+3,I-2 AC13 SP30 HP15 XP100
Greataxe +5,5',9s(1d12+3) Javelin +5,5'(30/120),6p(1d6+3)
Bonus Mv 30' to opponent Abil Darkvision 60' Intimidate +2

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 14, 2014

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

dwarf74 posted:

You're doing the Lord's work, here Jack.

What assumptions were made for the Fighter?

No superiority dice or action surge - so the situation as of every round after the first, essentially. I'm tinkering with my tables to include dice and will post when done.

The Fighter DPR numbers end up looking like this:

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I really like the flavor thing 5e does where they start with two bolded traits and a paragraph or two for each to help you understand the thing in question. Even if it emphasizes how racist the old Tolkien mythos has always been.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I can't wait for 100 skeletons to see an umberhulk so I can fail 100 saves and then 100D8 to determine what each -

oh wait, they can all just avert their non-existent eyes CRISIS AVERTED.

I'm surprised they didn't go with a Confusion status effect, since there's probably going to be more than one thing in the game that inflicts it. Actually no, I'm not surprised at all. Not one little bit.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

moths posted:

I can't wait for 100 skeletons to see an umberhulk so I can fail 100 saves and then 100D8 to determine what each -

oh wait, they can all just avert their non-existent eyes CRISIS AVERTED.

I'm surprised they didn't go with a Confusion status effect, since there's probably going to be more than one thing in the game that inflicts it. Actually no, I'm not surprised at all. Not one little bit.

Well if I were DMing it, then the skeletons would just kind of sigh because seriously? They've been killed, then they've had to get up, pull a cart full of their colleagues, slay dragons, be an internet, be a computer, be told they're "silly", be told that they are collectively not as good as Brundo the Inept over there with his battleaxe when clearly they are actually superior, and now they're supposed to be confused by an (admittedly weird looking) underground crab? Even if it re-kills them, they're just going to have to get up again and keep firing their bows. They're not being asked to do rocket science here (except probably when they're being a computer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Can't they also just outrange it with their bows