Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fucknag posted:

I know he's from loving Connecticut shut up

very few people in Texas are actually from Texas

besides, that Caddy limo owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I've seen a lot of people replace the front clips of their Sierra/Silverado with the front clip from an Escalade.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
In news that surprises no one, Dodge has unveiled the Charger Hellcat.

http://new.livestream.com/chryslerlive/DodgeProductReveal (the video is at the bottom).

Same 707 HP, 204 MPH top speed, 11.0 second quarter mile on stock tires, 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

Only downside, it is automatic only.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean, that car would be ridiculously hard to drive with a clutch

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

A MIRACLE posted:

I mean, that car would be ridiculously hard to drive with a clutch

I disagree.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You can get the Challenger with a standard so it can't be that hard.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sole Survivor posted:

In news that surprises no one, Dodge has unveiled the Charger Hellcat.

http://new.livestream.com/chryslerlive/DodgeProductReveal (the video is at the bottom).

Same 707 HP, 204 MPH top speed, 11.0 second quarter mile on stock tires, 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

Only downside, it is automatic only.

quote:

Tim Kuniskis, head of the Dodge brand, said, “This is a car that has no business case... that no customer has asked us to build... but sometimes you need to disregard the data.... to built a car that defines itself.”

Yup. I want one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

El Scotch posted:

Yup. I want one.

Now where the heck is the Hellram? We need another muscle truck arms race so Ford builds another Lightning.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Yup. I want one.

B5 Blue or Jazz Blue + Bronze wheels will probably look amazing.

Also, both the Charger and Challenger Hellcats will get Hellcat logos on the fenders. Which you can't see in the press photos, but the video has them.

Sole Survivor fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 13, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I want the poo poo out of that car. Yes it doesn't have a business case, but holy hell that doesn't stop me from wanting one. If I didn't have my current commute..... oooph.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok, so now they just created the expectation of a Dart Hellcat which would be insanely crazy and awesome.

I mean, if they are already throwing business cases out the window, go for broke.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Twerk from Home posted:

Now where the heck is the Hellram? We need another muscle truck arms race so Ford builds another Lightning.

Yessss

It's time for another lightning. The F150 is now made of aluminum and turbo charged. It's practically a sports car already!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Ok, so now they just created the expectation of a Dart Hellcat which would be insanely crazy and awesome.

I mean, if they are already throwing business cases out the window, go for broke.

I would like to drive a FWD car with 707 horsepower just to see if I die or not.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

bull3964 posted:

Unfortunately Tim shot that down in that Charger video linked above.

"No comment on expanding the line to other platforms, except the Dart. It's not coming to the Dart."

Quote is at 23:05.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

InitialDave posted:

Well, people do keep wanting someone to bring back the El Camino.

Strada is Italian for road, El Camino is Spanish.

No you fool.

El Camino is spanish, for THE Camino

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Yup. I want one.

Somewhere in America some overfunded police force must get one a fleet of these. :911:

Edit: VV Good point.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 13, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Somewhere in America some overfunded police force must get one of these. :911:

Just one? :raise:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

davebo posted:

I would like to drive a FWD car with 707 horsepower just to see if I die or not.

It's very possible. Back in the day I rode in some seriously high HP SRT-4's and they were loving scary. One guy I knew had a 450whp one and it would break the tires loose in 3rd gear. He punched it on the highway and it started drifting across lanes while losing traction. 1st and 2nd gear were basically unusable

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

skipdogg posted:

It's very possible. Back in the day I rode in some seriously high HP SRT-4's and they were loving scary. One guy I knew had a 450whp one and it would break the tires loose in 3rd gear. He punched it on the highway and it started drifting across lanes while losing traction. 1st and 2nd gear were basically unusable
This is my problem with putting short gears on high HP vehicles. I'd rather have super tall gearing, as it lets you actually use first gear. And hell, its not like 400-500 HP is going to be slow with less gear multiplication.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

IIRC most reviews of the Challenger Hellcat basically said skip first gear if you actually want to move forward from a stop.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

sudo rm -rf posted:

"No comment on expanding the line to other platforms, except the Dart. It's not coming to the Dart."

quick, someone call Grand Spaulding Dodge

e- now that I actually think about it I think that quote is self aware already

Chrysler is run by absolute mad men

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 14, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

sudo rm -rf posted:

We need a Dart ACR then, as the spiritual successor to the Neon ACR.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They've already confirmed a Dart SRT-4, that's good enough

I've fought off various urges for 9 years this week in regards to trading in my Ram Daytona, but if they make a Hellram it's gone so loving quick and I'll spit on its grille on my way out of the dealership

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VikingSkull posted:

They've already confirmed a Dart SRT-4, that's good enough

They have?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
In this case, I am OK with bronze bbs wheels, I guess.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Rhyno posted:

They have?

Quite a while back. They said there's one in the works, but it's been kept pretty quiet. Just like the Hellcat. There were rumors of Dodge building a high horsepower supercharged engine about a year ago, then BOOM Hellcat.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

That got released when they killed off SRT as a brand. Notice that not only do they confirm a Dart SRT, but a Journey or Journey replacement version as well.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I *have* to think it's the Journey replacement, which I imagine is some kind of cheaper rebadged Jeep Cherokee based on the same Alfa platform. The current Sebring/Caliber based Journey is really old and not that great, and also too big - much larger than the CRV/Escape/RAV4, and why does Dodge need a *third* three row people carrier?

EDIT: So that means there *has* to be a Jeep Cherokee SRT-4 right?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 14, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it'll only be two three rows, the Caravan is dead

and they've vaguely only mentioned an SRT8 Grand Cherokee in passing, they sell a lot so it'll probably get built but that's probably the only non-Dodge SRT

they've also killed off the 300 SRT8, too

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

EDIT: So that means there *has* to be a Jeep Cherokee SRT-4 right?

For what it's worth, I seem to recall references to a Journey SRT-6.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Q_res posted:

For what it's worth, I seem to recall references to a Journey SRT-6.

The chart above seem to make a distinction between V6 and HO Turbo. Unless the SRT Dart is also going to be a turbo V6.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
As I said, "for what it's worth". Plus High Output Turbo doesn't really distinguish between a 4 and a 6. Hell, technically it might not even be the same engine. Exceedingly unlikely as that is.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Xguard86 posted:

Yessss

It's time for another lightning. The F150 is now made of aluminum and turbo charged. It's practically a sports car already!

To steal an idea from a friend of mine: Oh what I would give to have an aluminum Ranger with an Ecoboost inline 4.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Coredump posted:

To steal an idea from a friend of mine: Oh what I would give to have an aluminum Ranger with an Ecoboost inline 4.
Everybody has had that idea, except Ford.
2.3L or 2.7L, either way will do.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coredump posted:

Would you give as much as an F-150? Because that's probably how much it would cost.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The chart above seem to make a distinction between V6 and HO Turbo. Unless the SRT Dart is also going to be a turbo V6.

Could be a V6, but I would probably bet on a turbo 4.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

Would you give as much as an F-150? Because that's probably how much it would cost.

Did the Ranger cost as much as the F-150?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coredump posted:

Did the Ranger cost as much as the F-150?

The most recent Ranger was last refreshed in 1998, and produced through 2012 with no major changes. I guarantee it would have cost more if it was ever updated, and there's not really room in the market for a pickup truck under the baser F150s because they are so goddamn cheap already.

What you might be onto is a possible space in the market for a 4 cylinder F150, as that would really help CAFE numbers. Remember that trucks are allowed to get worse fuel economy if they have a larger wheelbase / width, so an F150 doing 24mpg highway would help more than a ranger doing 30.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm sorry, was that a yes the Ranger was as much as the F-150 or no, the Ranger was not as much as the F-150? I got lost reading all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coredump posted:

I'm sorry, was that a yes the Ranger was as much as the F-150 or no, the Ranger was not as much as the F-150? I got lost reading all that.

The Ranger was cheaper than the F150. There was overlap with upper-trim Rangers and lower trim F150s.