Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SiKboy posted:

So Squenix dont lose much, just delay a portion of their sales, and have presumably a big chunk of microsofts money for the trouble. I dont really see the point from Microsofts side though, this cant have been cheap, and I dont see a true exclusive tomb raider game shifting consoles, let alone one that they have basically paid to delay on their rivals console.

My suspect is that Microsoft is still considering the videogame business as a cable set top box business where exclusivity and release windows for content probably matter more than other markets. What did they call the web metro app for the Halo stats? Oh yes, "Halo Channel" and it still features the Halo TV series. (That name could have been decided way before Phil Spencer became the new director of the games division).

haveblue posted:

I don't care how quirky or indie or mainstream or big-budget something is- if it appeals to me I'll play it.

Agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I said come in! posted:

Wild, and Rime are two indie games announced yesterday at GamesCom that are worth paying attention to. Wild is exclusive to PS4 and I think Rime is a timed exclusive.

Rinkles posted:

Both are plain exclusive. Sony owns the IPs.

Yeah, Phil Spencer admitted back in February that he/Microsoft turned down Rime when it was being pitched by Tequila Works as a possible xbone exclusive called "Echoes of Siren."

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I'm still mad that Super Time Force still has no release date for PS4.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Harlock posted:

Diablo 3 is 60GB on EU PSN. Laughing.

This includes all the language packs.
It's kinda amazing how Europeans have an incentive to buy US versions for all sorts of reasons different than the price differential, given that we have to put up with poo poo on top of censored games like The Last of Us.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/13/diablo-3-ultimate-evil-edition-hits-58gb-in-eu-but-dont-worry/

quote:

The Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition file size on PS4 is 58GB in Europe, which is more than double the size of the US version, which clocks in at 26GB. The European download is so much larger because of the various language packs it includes, a Blizzard spokesperson tells Joystiq:

"Currently, Sony posts the maximum download file size for all of its digital games, and those download numbers includes all of the European language packs. The 37.8GB file is the total file size for the English, French, German, Italian, and European Spanish packs, while the 20.5GB download includes the Polish and Russian language options.

"While Ultimate Evil Edition has been localized in English, German, French, Latin American Spanish, European Spanish, Japanese, Russian, Italian, Polish, and Brazilian Portuguese, we expect most players will only be playing in their preferred language and so only downloading about 15GB to play the game."

That should be a relief for storage-conscious PS4 players in Europe. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition is due out on August 19.

When I played Destiny originally it downloaded only the Italian voices, when I switched the system to English then it downloaded 600Mb for the voice pack.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

It's kinda amazing how Europeans have an incentive to buy US versions for all sorts of reasons different than the price differential, given that we have to put up with poo poo on top of censored games like The Last of Us.

They'll probably realize somethings up eventually. I have a UK PS4 and all my games have been bought from the US Store, they've gotta eventually make it easier to use a regions own store... right?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Ularg posted:

The real Resogun starts here.

On to Master difficulty!

In Master difficulty, are those yellow particles bullets?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Seriously, Sony. Preloading, pausing, queuing, throttling. We need these things for uploads and downloads. Also, where's the "Multiplayer or Singleplayer downloads" that you promised us? Let us choose the language we download it in, regardless of region.

toanoradian posted:

In Master difficulty, are those yellow particles bullets?

The first screenshot is the victory screen of me beating the last level on Veteran. I have no idea what Master is like, it scares me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ularg posted:

Also, where's the "Multiplayer or Singleplayer downloads" that you promised us?

I know Killzone does it, but it just determines which one downloads first. There's no option to only keep one or the other to save hard drive space.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Ularg posted:

Seriously, Sony. Preloading, pausing, queuing, throttling. We need these things for uploads and downloads. Also, where's the "Multiplayer or Singleplayer downloads" that you promised us? Let us choose the language we download it in, regardless of region.

The first screenshot is the victory screen of me beating the last level on Veteran. I have no idea what Master is like, it scares me.

Preloading is already something they've started implementing. TLOU was fully downloaded two days before it was out for me, and when my friend Aishan bought it digital, he was prompted to choose singleplayer or multi first. It's getting there :)

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Hohokum also had a preload. Hell it even preloaded on my Vita.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Ularg posted:

Some interface organization would be nice. Never thought there would be a console UI that actually make the latest incarnations of the 360/bones dashboard look clean.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Always gotta bitch about something.

Last gen:
Fuckin' M$ putting ads all over the dash :argh:

This gen;
Fuckin' Sony not letting me customize the UI because that's totally a thing consoles have allowed in the past, M$ did it better :argh:

If these are the biggest problems than I see no problem.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You can organize the Xbox 360's UI with the "My Pins" section. It's not very good but it is better than Sony, who won't let me remove their legion of lovely WWE/Redbox video apps from the TV & Video folder, and won't let me organize my games.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I have to scroll a bit :qq:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dan Didio posted:

I know it's been said a billion times by this point, but what the gently caress is up with Microsoft's PR team? They're hilariously inept and every one of their executives; even personable, chummy ol' Phil Spencer, seems to be constantly caught with their tongue flapping in ever stupid-er lashes.

Yea it strikes me that Spencer was all like " Yo we got dat Tomb Raider here only!
Nyah!"

And then when called to clarify on it, he gets all "Look, I'm not the king of the universe!
I don't "own" the air. I don't know everything, alright?!"

I mean, I get the value of speaking casual as a figurehead, but he just comes off petulant.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You can organize the Xbox 360's UI with the "My Pins" section. It's not very good but it is better than Sony, who won't let me remove their legion of lovely WWE/Redbox video apps from the TV & Video folder, and won't let me organize my games.

I don't have those things in my TV folder, and the things that are there, I can press Options, then delete? I'm a terrible Euro, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Feenix posted:

Yea it strikes me that Spencer was all like " Yo we got dat Tomb Raider here only!
Nyah!"

And then when called to clarify on it, he gets all "Look, I'm not the king of the universe!
I don't "own" the air. I don't know everything, alright?!"

I mean, I get the value of speaking casual as a figurehead, but he just comes off petulant.

They are totally clueless if they thought people weren't going to pester them till they gave a straight answer.

Square also has robots for PR:

(this is old now, ofc)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Seedge posted:

I don't have those things in my TV folder, and the things that are there, I can press Options, then delete? I'm a terrible Euro, though.

Well that solves half my problem, if it works. Good enough for now but the way they display games is going to make a PS+ library unmanageable by 2016.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fateo McMurray posted:

I have to scroll a bit :qq:

If Sony allowed for PS Game Archive games on the PS4, my home screen would be a 100+ row of PS1 and PC Engine games, with random apps place between them. That's just not "I have to scroll a bit :qq:", that would be really annoying. The XMB was a better UI paradigm, and that was not very good either. Hell, the Vita allows for folders. I can manage apps better on it then on a PS4, and that UI is hot trash.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Any word on when planetside 2 is getting released?

Probably not.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

"If Sony allowed this thing they don't, it would be annoying"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fateo McMurray posted:

"If Sony allowed this thing they don't, it would be annoying"

We're all going to have that many native PS4 games installed within a few years.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Not with game and HDD sizes we're not

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Giving up on PT not because it's too scary or too hard, but because I can only listen to a baby screeching for so long before I start going loving crazy. Especially when it seems like gently caress all else is happening.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah you'll just have an indie hdd and a fps hdd and a rpg hdd etc. by then to make the issue moot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Peel posted:

Unless they mix up the controls PP will be hell with a controller.

For the Vita the game can just use the touchscreen, I assume. For the PS4 it might make heavy use of the touchpad?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fateo McMurray posted:

Not with game and HDD sizes we're not

What loving ever. Are you getting paid by Sony to defend their lovely rear end UI? It's lovely. The XMB was better so no wonder people are annoyed they took a step back for the PS4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

de_dust posted:

Any word on when planetside 2 is getting released?

Probably not.

I feel like its been canceled but it was mentioned at E3. I wonder how big SoE is? They seem to have their hands completely full working on a couple new games at once.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I mostly want a non-blue background.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I mostly want a non-blue background.

Yes let me change the theme please.

DrNutt posted:

What loving ever. Are you getting paid by Sony to defend their lovely rear end UI? It's lovely. The XMB was better so no wonder people are annoyed they took a step back for the PS4.

There is no need to get upset.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Either Fateo McMurray is a paid Sony shill or he's a mirror-universe Crafty that fell through a dimensional portal.

edit: lol "there's no need to get upset as I machine-gun out a flurry of petulant console-warrior posts implying that people who don't like this bad UI are a bunch of cry-babies" I think I'm starting to like this doofus.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 13, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If I was getting paid for this I'd be putting much more effort into it instead of just calling dummies what they are. Would it be nice to be able to organize the UI however you want? Absolutely. Is the fact that you're not able to The Worst Thing? gently caress no. If it takes you more than 5 seconds to find the game you're looking for then there is something wrong with you.

Yeah if they included customization in a future update I would like it. But if they don't, meh. There are much more important things to work on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fateo McMurray posted:

If it takes you more than 5 seconds to find the game you're looking for then there is something wrong with you.

It would be nice if the console did not actively hinder searching for games by keeping the list in no particular order and randomly moving stuff around sometimes.

vvvvvv There's a bunch of items on my list that I've never accessed (ShareFactory and a couple of Plus games I haven't tried yet) and they're sprinkled in among the stuff I definitely used. Also, that's a terrible strategy for more than, say, the last five items used.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The list is organized by the order in which you last accessed it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If you have a disc in, the first game displayed is that. The rest are ordered in the order you've last played them. There is an order.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fateo McMurray posted:

If I was getting paid for this I'd be putting much more effort into it instead of just calling dummies what they are. Would it be nice to be able to organize the UI however you want? Absolutely. Is the fact that you're not able to The Worst Thing? gently caress no. If it takes you more than 5 seconds to find the game you're looking for then there is something wrong with you.

Yeah if they included customization in a future update I would like it. But if they don't, meh. There are much more important things to work on.

I think what would have been nice would be if Sony had like, finished putting together their UI and all the features they talked about pre-release before putting out their product instead of rushing it to market not even half done just so they could beat Microsoft to the punch.

Also let me uninstall the Playroom that I'm never going to use, as well as all the icons for the video apps besides Amazon and Netflix.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I like the new PS4 UI over the old PS3 one. I wish I could remove the Playroom though but it isn't a big deal. Anyway, Sony paid me $0.30 for this post.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I feel like its been canceled but it was mentioned at E3. I wonder how big SoE is? They seem to have their hands completely full working on a couple new games at once.

Nah they were mentioning a few months ago its coming out this year, also checking the PS2 PS4 site it says coming 2014, which knowing SoE means late December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ukle posted:

Nah they were mentioning a few months ago its coming out this year, also checking the PS2 PS4 site it says coming 2014, which knowing SoE means late December.

I wonder what makes SoE all of a sudden want to release a polished game? It's a first for them. Oooh gently caress, who am I kidding? PS2 will still be buggy as poo poo on PS4.

• Locked thread