Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Pidmon posted:

Probably around $1500 AUD, probably pre-built just because I'm a moron.

i don't know how out of date this may be but i found that my new laptop is more than capable of playing minecraft (and running multimc + Intellij idea + forgemod dev environment) without even breaking a sweat.

and of all the luck it was UKP £512

which is 927.51 Australian Dollar

you can always check here for deals http://www.asusnotebook.com.au/asus-notebook-range.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I am working on a mod of my own which i want to put into my modpack I have assembled. ( http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/morepower.360693 ) Whilst running a beta test server at morepower.minuet-uk.com

but I want to get this faction management mod done, I have the concept there, and the blocks, I need to however work out how to do a gui and tileEntity which i have never done before.

The concept:

You make a Management Block (worth 100 influence)
inside every minecraft day it makes an extension block (1 influence)
you can put 9 extension blocks in a crafting table and get a double influence block (9 influence)
You can do this up to 10 times compression.

If you have the most influence in a Chunk then you can do anything. if not all you can do is place extension blocks and they have to be connected to a chunk you control. meaning that faction claims work like Risk. you can extend your area or just fill your main chunk with 10 times extension blocks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

you can put 9 extension blocks in a crafting table and get a double influence block (9 influence)
You can do this up to 10 times compression.

10 compression is absolutely overkill. Consider the enormous amount of time it takes to make the octuple compressed cobblestone in Agrarian Skies. Especially if you're getting one block a day per chunk.

Besides, you want faction dominance to be overt and obvious, i.e. there should be shitloads of obvious blocks. Or make it so they only work if they're exposed to the sky or something so that defending them is hard. Otherwise there's nothing stopping people just hiding a bunch of 5x blocks walled up behind smooth stone and having them never be discovered.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Falcon2001 posted:

So I'm realizing that building an addon that modifies or interacts with another mod is probably more difficult than I was originally imagining. Instead, I'm going to try and make an estus flask style item that is basically just a refillable, upgradable health potion. Hurray!.

It depends on what you're trying to do. Some mods, like AE2 and TE, offer an IMC API which is generally very easy to deal with. Plug in your data and send it off, so it's easy to do things like add AE2 grinder and TE furnace recipes.

Deeper integration? Yeah, that's more difficult, especially if you don't want a hard dependency on the other mod. At that point you're going to have to do some heavy lifting via reflection.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

scalded schlong posted:

10 compression is absolutely overkill. Consider the enormous amount of time it takes to make the octuple compressed cobblestone in Agrarian Skies. Especially if you're getting one block a day per chunk.

Besides, you want faction dominance to be overt and obvious, i.e. there should be shitloads of obvious blocks. Or make it so they only work if they're exposed to the sky or something so that defending them is hard. Otherwise there's nothing stopping people just hiding a bunch of 5x blocks walled up behind smooth stone and having them never be discovered.

I was thinking of making that a point, you see a couple blocks and think "I will raid them" and they have 10 layers at bedrock of 10X extensions

of course they can take them up and move them if needed....
otherwise you are limited to 16x16 max blocks for claiming

the other point is that you wouldnt put them all in the same chunk, you would spread out over time, maybe one block a minecraft day is too few, could make it a stack a day... 64 influence per day how does that sound....

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I present to you, Castle Yggdrasil (WiP) on Modderation

Your Redwood Overlords smile upon all of you.

Castle Yggdrasil (complete)

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 12, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Is it just me, or does Modderation run considerably more slowly than NST Maxx despite having about half the mods? Is it just 1.7 being a pain, or is Botania the new Millenaire or something?

I can't see it being my computer that's the bottleneck, it runs Maxx like a dream.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
On the face of it I would expect large Botania systems to be much laggier than other power systems, but I'm not speaking from evidence.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

metasynthetic posted:

On the face of it I would expect large Botania systems to be much laggier than other power systems, but I'm not speaking from evidence.

Thus far, I haven't seen any evidence of it, despite having built some pretty ridiculous Botania systems, honestly. Without Opis, it's hard to say for certain, of course.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Dux Supremus posted:

Yeah, sure. (1) Takes an input from either of two illumar buttons and lengthens it before sending it to (2) that passes it to the underside of the carriage engine to lift the door for 3 seconds and (3) which takes the signal and sits on it for 7 seconds then passes it to (4) which pushes the door down for 3 seconds. I think the door can be made a block shorter but to cover the door frame would mean using a torch on the bottom of the carriage with a panel, which would make it trickier.

1. Pulse Lengthener | I: I/O D (White) | L: CNST 60 | O: VARS 1
2. Passthrough | I: VARS 1 | O: I/O D (Orange)
3. Delay | I: VARS 1 | D: CNST 140 | O: VARS 2
4. Pulse Lengthener | I: VARS 2 | L: CNST 60 | O: I/O U (Orange)

Hmm I followed the instructions to the letter but I guess my door is just too different from yours? Mines 4 high and it doesn't go back down again. I might just figure out some hackneyed job with pistons that pushes a redstone block onto the top/bottom of the carriage for x seconds to open/close it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Update on high-temperature furnace carnage: We found out we can use wood planks at the same efficiency of logs, so everything takes a trip through a cyclic assembler before getting burned. With that, we started to accumulate power in the furnace.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

scalded schlong posted:

Is it just me, or does Modderation run considerably more slowly than NST Maxx despite having about half the mods? Is it just 1.7 being a pain, or is Botania the new Millenaire or something?

I can't see it being my computer that's the bottleneck, it runs Maxx like a dream.

Yeah, actually, doing it to me too- I mean, I've always been a slight bit laggy, but Maxx was mostly smooth and Modderation is kinda.. Janky at ties.

But, it still runs fine, so. Just an odd little quirk.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
If I recall, the current Forge has some chunk loading issues. Could that be the source of the problem for Modderation?

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Hmm I followed the instructions to the letter but I guess my door is just too different from yours? Mines 4 high and it doesn't go back down again. I might just figure out some hackneyed job with pistons that pushes a redstone block onto the top/bottom of the carriage for x seconds to open/close it.
Dunno, something like that should work. Best bet is to play around with a setup to get a feel for how it works until it does really. I built one in miniature to get a clue as to how this stuff worked myself. I like the way that build looks by the way. Good nuance.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Dux Supremus posted:

Dunno, something like that should work. Best bet is to play around with a setup to get a feel for how it works until it does really. I built one in miniature to get a clue as to how this stuff worked myself. I like the way that build looks by the way. Good nuance.

I tried the whole piston thing and there was no circuit that would just emit a signal for x seconds after it received one. Turns out the pulse lengthener does exactly that :downs: I'll just figure out what all that jargon means and hook something up.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I tried the whole piston thing and there was no circuit that would just emit a signal for x seconds after it received one. Turns out the pulse lengthener does exactly that :downs: I'll just figure out what all that jargon means and hook something up.

I did something like that with Rednet controller but i had to work out whether to use the inverter or the lengthener first, if you do it one way it will open longer the other wait longer before opening.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Serifina posted:

Thus far, I haven't seen any evidence of it, despite having built some pretty ridiculous Botania systems, honestly. Without Opis, it's hard to say for certain, of course.

Finally starting to play around with it some. I built a system involving an open blocks fan and a mana spreader in close proximity, and the fan causes the mana bolt to arc. So Botania particles do interact with non-Botania physics entities, which I was a little surprised by.

Also, I have a nicely Rube Goldbergian mana farm setup, I'll post some screenshots later.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Please add mystcraft to modderation eventually or I will be forced to take drastic measures (local branch and do it myself)

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Ok, here's my Endoflame mana farm setup. Worth noting is that so far this playthrough, I've completely foresaken all automining and even (so far) auto processing. Every stack of ore I've been dropping off in the feed chest for my single smelter / pulverizer / etc. myself. I have some magical crops setup but I've barely touched them except for Thaumcraft shard farming and ender pearls. So this design is partially driven by still being in a state of resource scarcity.

At the head of the assembly, 3 droppers full of coal are attached to a timer. The hoppers are supplied by a chest exporting charcoal one piece at a time via itemduct in round robin mode. The chest is supplied by an export bus. The droppers drop in front of an openblocks fan, which blows them forward across the endoflame farm conveyor style.

The charcoal drops slide down the farm, until a hungry endoflame flower consumes them. If no flowers are hungry, they reach the tail assembly where an openblocks vacuum hopper sucks them back up and returns them to the AE system for recycling.

I don't really have a sense of scale for Botania yet but the amount of mana this generates seems to be a shitload more than when I was running dayblooms.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 13, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Please add mystcraft to modderation eventually or I will be forced to take drastic measures (local branch and do it myself)

Mystcraft completely murders servers. It's not feasible for a multiplayer pack.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Maybe if your server sucks and is bad

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Maybe if your server sucks and is bad

Its not a good mod.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Any mod that lets me generate my own dimensions is cool and good. In my opinion

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

metasynthetic posted:

Ok, here's my Endoflame mana farm setup. Worth noting is that so far this playthrough, I've completely foresaken all automining and even (so far) auto processing. Every stack of ore I've been dropping off in the feed chest for my single smelter / pulverizer / etc. myself. I have some magical crops setup but I've barely touched them except for Thaumcraft shard farming and ender pearls. So this design is partially driven by still being in a state of resource scarcity.

At the head of the assembly, 3 droppers full of coal are attached to a timer. The hoppers are supplied by a chest exporting charcoal one piece at a time via itemduct in round robin mode. The chest is supplied by an export bus. The droppers drop in front of an openblocks fan, which blows them forward across the endoflame farm conveyor style.

The charcoal drops slide down the farm, until a hungry endoflame flower consumes them. If no flowers are hungry, they reach the tail assembly where an openblocks vacuum hopper sucks them back up and returns them to the AE system for recycling.

I don't really have a sense of scale for Botania yet but the amount of mana this generates seems to be a shitload more than when I was running dayblooms.

Okay, I had no idea fans interacted with the mana bursts. That's... surprising and kinda awesome and that curved burst looks pretty cool. Actually, your whole setup is cooler looking than mine, which is pretty much purely functional right now but eh I hate fighting with fans and such.

Dayblooms are TERRIBLE. Someone in the MCF thread used some NBT editing magic to find out some values and dayblooms basically generate mana about once a second, while Endoflames generate mana (a small amount) continuously every tick for the 40 seconds it burns a single piece of coal/charcoal. So, yeah, endoflames totally stomp dayblooms into nothingness. All the other "consumes stuff" generating flowers are even stronger but definitely require a lot more work to setup and particularly to automate. Up at the top is definitely thermalilies but lava can be a pain if you don't have Blood Magic to abuse. But stuff like the entropinnyum and the kekimarus and so on can definitely all generate pretty massive amounts of mana you can use. And trust me, when you get up to the top tier and you're playing around with mana enchanting, orechids, terrasteel, and so on, you'll definitely need a LOT of mana.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
My mana farm on the Luddite server is six potato fields stacked on top of each other. Golems harvest the potatoes, drop them into hoppers and open crates that drop the potato load down to the bottom level, where they go into an Infernal Furnace to be cooked. From there filler golems put the baked potatoes into five droppers on a three-second timer that feed gourmaryllis flowers. There's also one of those exp-to-mana flowers to consume the exp created by cooking the taters.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Any mod that lets me generate my own dimensions is cool and good. In my opinion

Except that it's not. It's a cool mod, yes, good, no. It causes massive amounts of lag on multi-player servers, which is what the Modderation pack is built for. I wouldn't expect to see it in that pack.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ixjuvin posted:

My mana farm on the Luddite server is six potato fields stacked on top of each other. Golems harvest the potatoes, drop them into hoppers and open crates that drop the potato load down to the bottom level, where they go into an Infernal Furnace to be cooked. From there filler golems put the baked potatoes into five droppers on a three-second timer that feed gourmaryllis flowers. There's also one of those exp-to-mana flowers to consume the exp created by cooking the taters.

Ooh, I like. That sounds like a pretty darn efficient mana farm. (Of course Thaumcraft isn't updated for 1.7.10 yet so I can't try it out on Progress which is where I'm playing now but I'd like to use that system).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding MystCraft, using that mod on a server with independent players would probably get you murdered. A friend and I are playing around with it fine on our own server, but we're age hopping together. That initial burst when you enter a new age is particularly bad because the server has to do a bunch of up-front terrain generation.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
The best use of Mystcraft on servers is for the admin to set up a specific world(s) for people to use. One for mining, maybe one with an endless lava ocean, whatever the players need. It keeps the dimensions from spiralling out of control and still lets you set up things like linking books for travel.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Local branch is going to be your option, then. Mystcraft is entirely too hard on servers to allow it to be used as it sits, and by the time you've locked it down to where it's not going to kill the server, it's pretty much useless to anyone but ops. Mystcraft is great in single player.

I don't make packs with single-player-only in mind.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm still playing 1.6 so I don't have the newer Botania options available, and for the life of me I could not figure out how to get Thermalilies to even work. Couldn't find any tutorials showing their use either. If I plant them on top of dirt adjacent to lava nothing seems to happen, putting them directly next to it and they fry like any other flower. Am I missing something or do they just not work in the last 1.6 version?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

mechaet posted:

Local branch is going to be your option, then. Mystcraft is entirely too hard on servers to allow it to be used as it sits, and by the time you've locked it down to where it's not going to kill the server, it's pretty much useless to anyone but ops. Mystcraft is great in single player.

I don't make packs with single-player-only in mind.

Yeah, dropping the mod in the pack for single player is super easy; I exclusively play single player and keep a little folder with extra mods and custom configs I plunk down in the NST packs whenever there's an update. Easy as pie.

Also, going to ask again since I spent some time troubleshooting without success: in Moderation, I can't get NEI to let me search for items by stuff in their tooltips. I really like being able to type "thermal" and get all thermal expansion mods, like I can in the NST series of packs. I tried messing with WALIA as Threep suggested, but that didn't seem to help at all.

Anyone know how I can get the 1.7.1 version of NEI to let me include tooltips in the search bar results?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I know for at least the 1.7.2 version Fondue's server is running, that anything on the tooltip besides the mod's name will come up with the search just fine. If you're searching by mod name, it's @mod.mod'sname.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

djw175 posted:

I know for at least the 1.7.2 version Fondue's server is running, that anything on the tooltip besides the mod's name will come up with the search just fine. If you're searching by mod name, it's @mod.mod'sname.

Doesn't work in 1.7.10 NEI, it's an NEI problem.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Serifina posted:

Ooh, I like. That sounds like a pretty darn efficient mana farm. (Of course Thaumcraft isn't updated for 1.7.10 yet so I can't try it out on Progress which is where I'm playing now but I'd like to use that system).

Thermalilies provide higher production I think, but everyone knows that blood mages are perverse abominations who deserve only death for their crimes against nature.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ixjuvin posted:

Thermalilies provide higher production I think, but everyone knows that blood mages are perverse abominations who deserve only death for their crimes against nature.

I know, we're terrible, evil people. But thermalilies aren't just for blood mages! I've gone through quite a bit of effort to automate a thermalily setup on Progress, and I've succeeded! It's not quite as elegant as a Blood magic setup is, but it works fairly well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of horrible unethical magic mods, what's the best way to make a big 3D skull in Minecraft? I was thinking my sorcery base could be like Dr. Wily's Fortress but with magic instead of robots.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Mystcraft might be more reasonable on servers once 1.8 drops. The biggest problem is chunk generation murders minecraft servers right now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Did Mystcraft ever stop being hunt and guess bullshit for world creation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

mechaet posted:

Doesn't work in 1.7.10 NEI, it's an NEI problem.

It works for me on Modderation, you just have to type out the full name of the mod before anything will show up. So "@mod.thermal" shows nothing but "@mod.thermal expansion" shows items.

• Locked thread