Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

haveblue posted:

It would be nice if the console did not actively hinder searching for games by keeping the list in no particular order and randomly moving stuff around sometimes.

vvvvvv There's a bunch of items on my list that I've never accessed (ShareFactory and a couple of Plus games I haven't tried yet) and they're sprinkled in among the stuff I definitely used.

I think if an update is applied it'll pop to the front of the list. The UI has a scaleability problem, but I don't think it's as big of a problem now for most users as some people make it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bubba Smith posted:

I like the new PS4 UI over the old PS3 one. I wish I could remove the Playroom though but it isn't a big deal. Anyway, Sony paid me $0.30 for this post.

It's like people either never used a PS3 or forgot how unresponsive the old UI was.

And was folders and UI customization ever promised pre launch? I can't remember seeing it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Rakuten Coupon: $15 Off $50+ Sitewide: PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Controller $40 & More + Free Shipping (New Customers Only)

$40 DS4

Any of the Diablo 3 pre-orders worthwhile? Going to get it eventually anyways but not in a rush

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Fateo McMurray posted:

It's like people either never used a PS3 or forgot how unresponsive the old UI was.

What does that have to do with the PS4 UI being all jumbly.

Folders/pinned items wouldn't be a herculean task to implement or run. And it's not unreasonable to expect/desire it when every other piece of consumer electronics with apps including the handheld and previous iteration provides that kind of organization.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The PS4 UI is definitely a big improvement. The PS3 UI was responsive to user input but it took forever to load anything. Just being able to instantly hop around in the menu with a game running in the background is great.

They really are going to have to add a solution for the organization of games/apps at some point though. It's currently manageable, but I'm sure it's something they're working on. I wouldn't say its the highest priority.

Fateo McMurray posted:

And was folders and UI customization ever promised pre launch? I can't remember seeing it.

Nope, they weren't. What we got in terms of UI is what we were shown. The only thing that I know was promised and subsequently delayed to "soon" status is game suspend/resume.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I said come in! posted:

I feel like its been canceled but it was mentioned at E3. I wonder how big SoE is? They seem to have their hands completely full working on a couple new games at once.

The problem I would imagine was that the game was IMPRESSIVELY poo poo from a technical point of view when it was released. I would imagine that it's taking this long just to get it running on the PS4 at all.

SOE has historically been loving horrible at building things in a technically competent fashion. gently caress, all the way back in Everquest they released poo poo totally broken. On the PSP Field Commander was an alternating turn essentially PBEM game, and when I hit next turn I got to play my opponents turn then my own again. WTF? SOE has never been very competent.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Milkman posted:

What does that have to do with the PS4 UI being all jumbly.

Folders/pinned items wouldn't be a herculean task to implement or run. And it's not unreasonable to expect/desire it when every other piece of consumer electronics with apps including the handheld and previous iteration provides that kind of organization.

It has nothing to do with it. But someone said the XMB was better which is :laffo:

I expect and desire it too. But not having at at the moment isn't the worst thing ever gently caress you sony :argh:

DarkJC posted:

They really are going to have to add a solution for the organization of games/apps at some point though. It's currently manageable, but I'm sure it's something they're working on. I wouldn't say its the highest priority.

Oh I agree. At some point it will be a nice thing to have. Just the people flipping out about it now should chill. At the moment it's not something that needs to be worried about.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Just bought my system yesterday, and haven't bought a full game yet. I'm demo'ing Child of Light and Trinity (or downloading demos at least). I've heard Resogun is good too. Any other big indie games to check out? I've also checked out PT and nearly pooped myself.

I'm thinking about making Black Flag my first game, but not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm going to spend a little while stream the end loop of PT at http://www.twitch.tv/afoolishpianist

Maybe we'll figure it out?

EDIT: Maybe comments are down on twitch? I can't see any on the stream.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 13, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

I'm thinking about making Black Flag my first game, but not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

I loved Black Flag on PC. It's a pretty excellent game all around.

I just got my PS4 a couple days ago and went with inFamous: Second Son as my first game, and I don't regret it so far. I wasn't even a huge fan of the PS3 inFamous games, but the powers in this one are just so much more satisfying to use for some reason.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Ularg posted:

Seriously, Sony. Preloading, pausing, queuing, throttling. We need these things for uploads and downloads. Also, where's the "Multiplayer or Singleplayer downloads" that you promised us? Let us choose the language we download it in, regardless of region.

I would imagine a lot of that falls on developers as well. It would be up to developers, for example, to split their games up into singleplayer and multiplayer components that are able to run without one another. Language packs are another thing that would probably depend more on the developer and publisher than Sony.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

I liked it a lot. Different enough with the pirating that even the tried and true AC game mechanics didn't feel as old and tired as they should by now.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

I loved Black Flag on PC. It's a pretty excellent game all around.

I just got my PS4 a couple days ago and went with inFamous: Second Son as my first game, and I don't regret it so far. I wasn't even a huge fan of the PS3 inFamous games, but the powers in this one are just so much more satisfying to use for some reason.

I loved the inFamous games on PS3, but I read the campaign in Second Son is super short, and I'm looking to get a lot of bang for my buck since I'm going to be a broke law student beginning in two weeks.

Screw it, maybe I'll get both, what's being a little more in debt? :getin:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

de_dust posted:

Any word on when planetside 2 is getting released?

Probably not.

SOE event next week, surprise possible, the beta popped up for a few minutes on the US store Monday or smth.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

I loved the inFamous games on PS3, but I read the campaign in Second Son is super short, and I'm looking to get a lot of bang for my buck since I'm going to be a broke law student beginning in two weeks.

Screw it, maybe I'll get both, what's being a little more in debt? :getin:

What do you consider to be super short? It's like 10-12 hours depends on how many side quests you do

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Fateo McMurray posted:

What do you consider to be super short? It's like 10-12 hours depends on how many side quests you do

Ah, that's a little more standard than I thought (though definitely shorter than the first two, I think). I figured when a bunch of reviews knocked it for being short that would mean 8 hours or so.

And yeah, its obviously a sandbox game so campaign length isn't totally indicative of how much time I'll spend on it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I did my first play through on Hard and did all the side quests and it took me about 12 hours.

I did my second on Expert and just did the quests needed to finish the game and it took me about 8. But that is also knowing where to go every time and how each boss encounter works and having a good grasp on how to use powers most effectively

So if you're just doing main story missions then yeah I guess it's kinda short.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Ah, that's a little more standard than I thought. I figured when a bunch of reviews knocked it for being short that would mean 8 hours or so.

If you go straight for the main missions and get a fast handle on how to use and exploit your powers it can go by pretty fast. I 100%ed a Normal, good karma playthrough and it probably took me 12-15 hours kind of time range, now I'm replaying the game on Expert with Evil Karma and getting through it incredibly fast, reasonably sure my total playtime will be in the 5-6 hours range this time but I know a lot of the nuances like how to handle the boss fights and what-have-you so those parts are going much faster.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
In the biggest "duhhhh" of the week, Shuhei Yoshida has said we won't be seeing The Last Guardian at TGS.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ign=socialoomph

I can't imagine still being excited for whatever this is any more.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Also I'm leaning Black Flag because, you know, pirates.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Fateo McMurray posted:

It has nothing to do with it. But someone said the XMB was better which is :laffo:

I've always liked the design, it's relatively clean and straightforward. It's just so slow because the PS3 OS wasn't originally designed to have it running in the background during games. :eng99:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Buy Black Flag, rent Second Son. Once you beat Second Son there's no real reason to play it again. Well I guess the DLC that comes out at the end of this month for it will change that. Maybe.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Fateo McMurray posted:

Buy Black Flag, rent Second Son. Once you beat Second Son there's no real reason to play it again. Well I guess the DLC that comes out at the end of this month for it will change that. Maybe.

The DLC is standalone so

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

Well, you can sort-of justify a second playthrough, to see both the good and evil paths, and I have to say I'm impressed with the level of difference between them, both in terms of playstyle and story (even the parts of the script which are identical in both playthroughs come across differently based on your past actions).

But yeah, two playthroughs max, and even that's a bit of a stretch.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Professor Funk posted:

Just bought my system yesterday, and haven't bought a full game yet. I'm demo'ing Child of Light and Trinity (or downloading demos at least). I've heard Resogun is good too. Any other big indie games to check out? I've also checked out PT and nearly pooped myself.

You should be able to pick up black flag preowned pretty cheap, its a good game. Dont worry about preowned not having the online pass, they scrapped that anyway so you dont lose anything. There is a hell of a lot of content there, I got a decent amount of milage out of just sailing the high seas, taking over fortresses and pillaging ships. Just generally pirating about really. The actual Assassin bits are better than they were in ACIV, but still suffers many of the same problems although to a lesser degree (Fewer, but still too many "Eavesdrop on this conversation" missions, combat can still mainly be cheesed by countering everything, no real reason to use any weapon other than the hidden blade, a lot of the towns arent that interesting to parkour through). So basically, if you hate AC gameplay, dont get black flag. If you enjoyed previous games, its a good one.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Fateo McMurray posted:

You don't get anything other than playing as Delsin in the the Arena mode if you own the base game. It's standalone DLC that could just be played on its own.

SiKboy posted:

You should be able to pick up black flag preowned pretty cheap, its a good game. Dont worry about preowned not having the online pass, they scrapped that anyway so you dont lose anything.

I think you still need the pass but you get it from PSN for free and they'll provide a link in the game when you launch it. I'm not sure if they ever fully patched it out.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

univbee posted:

Well, you can sort-of justify a second playthrough, to see both the good and evil paths, and I have to say I'm impressed with the level of difference between them, both in terms of playstyle and story (even the parts of the script which are identical in both playthroughs come across differently based on your past actions).

But yeah, two playthroughs max, and even that's a bit of a stretch.

Yeah I did it twice, did the paper trail stuff, and haven't played it since.

The Milkman posted:

The DLC is standalone so

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Professor Funk posted:

Also I'm leaning Black Flag because, you know, pirates.

black flag just screams free ps+ game in a few months to me. I'm still holding off.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm gonna start off with Black Flag/Madden 15 (though am also curious about The Show).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

gameday posted:

In the biggest "duhhhh" of the week, Shuhei Yoshida has said we won't be seeing The Last Guardian at TGS.

I'm not saying I even believe this thing exists anymore... but truly the best thing anyone can do is just assume it doesn't exist anymore.

Downside: It doesn't exist. You move on. So what. Does anyone REALLY have any grounds to care anymore?

Upside: You forget about it and then one day (Don't hold your breath) it sneaks up on you and exists. (and then probably disappoints the poo poo out of you because of the hype and expectation that has formed around it due to all the waiting.)

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If you get The Show be prepared for loading screens all the time and for each one to take minimum 30 seconds.

Game is really really fun though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Professor Funk posted:

And yeah, its obviously a sandbox game so campaign length isn't totally indicative of how much time I'll spend on it.

That said there's still not a lot of "mess around" type stuff to do.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
As someone who came to the PS4 after playing PC games forever, here are some things I wish it had:

- a better UI, with some sort of organizing
- the ability to tell who is talking in a party, a transparent overlay would be amazing
- any sort of backwards compatibility
- Youtub but that is soon

Speaking of Youtube, are we getting the ability to upload to our profiles or is it just a viewer?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

gameday posted:

Just loving axe it already.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Last gen:
Fuckin' M$ putting ads all over the dash :argh:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixqwOIByMAc

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

As someone who came to the PS4 after playing PC games forever, here are some things I wish it had:

- a better UI, with some sort of organizing
- the ability to tell who is talking in a party, a transparent overlay would be amazing
- any sort of backwards compatibility
- Youtub but that is soon

Speaking of Youtube, are we getting the ability to upload to our profiles or is it just a viewer?

They said yesterday it'll be integrated into the Share menu and there'll also be a dedicated viewing app.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Professor Funk posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm gonna start off with Black Flag/Madden 15 (though am also curious about The Show).

I bought Madden for $10 when Target had it on sale and I'm returning it today because it is garbage. Fortunately the first case I got was broken so I swapped that and now have a still-sealed copy for return.

Bad game is bad. Get The Show instead. Or NBA. Or FIFA. All of them are better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MLB The Show has gotten the most play time out of any game on my PS4 since it came out. It's really fun and I don't even play sports games normally.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Professor Funk posted:

I loved the inFamous games on PS3, but I read the campaign in Second Son is super short

It is a decent length if you clear all the zones, decently difficult, fun boss fights, new powers, good graphics, interesting spray paint exploring locations(basically everyone is different), and almost as good as infamous 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a decent length to be entertaining but it's much smaller than a "real" open world game like an AC or GTA and I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the first 2 Infamouses too.

• Locked thread