Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man all a translation had to do was remove lines like "this guy are sick". Maaaaybe change Fire/2/3 to Fire/Ra/Ga to match the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
so is necron the dude i'm supposed to attack while he attacks

am i supposed to feel overwhelmed by the amount of attacks the guy has

am i supposed to grind

what does ff9 want from me

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lessail posted:

so is necron the dude i'm supposed to attack while he attacks

am i supposed to feel overwhelmed by the amount of attacks the guy has

am i supposed to grind

what does ff9 want from me

This is literally the final boss. And you're thinking of Ozma.

Just treat him like any other boss, and come in with as much status and elemental protection as possible. He still has weaknesses to Holy and Wind to exploit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Grand Cross can still gently caress you up if you're unlucky, though, because it can inflict Death and Zombie at the same time, neither of which you can ever get a resistance to, and Dead takes precedence over Zombie in status listings so you might waste a few turns wondering why the hell your Phoenix Downs keep missing.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is literally the final boss. And you're thinking of Ozma.

Just treat him like any other boss, and come in with as much status and elemental protection as possible. He still has weaknesses to Holy and Wind to exploit.

ok cool that's one dumb thing I don't have to worry about

most of my abilities are on protection things and i guess the rng just hated the gently caress out of me but i guess the take away is that i don't want to play it anymore today

edit: also i don't really like however the battle system/battles ended up in 9?

Lessail fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 13, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

Just glancing over some of the changes, but it removes Move +3 and Move+2? What the hell? I see nothing about Teleport, which was already arguably the best movement ability. Removing Move+2 is just dumb.

I suspect there are a bunch of changes I'm not seeing though, since it makes comments like "Summons have been lowered to Blizzard power. (PSX/PSP)", which just makes no sense if going from a base game perspective.

Teleport's great when it up and lets you move a dozen spaces successfully and oh hey I just double punched that boss to death with my martial arts ninja before anyone else got to act. The only thing more fun than teleport was using Ignore Height to jump up several stories and kill the inquisitor. I can only imagine Delita's thought when he sees Ramza take off like a goddamn rocket.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

One of the other big problems with the people doing the translation is they're....those sort of FFVII fans. The "There is no humor in this at all!" sorts. Scroll down a tad and you get this bit, on a future (psh, yeah. It's never happening) feature of the patch:

Now granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Cait Sith, but really?

Well obviously it's because Squaresoft's a bunch of stupids. They added a remote controlled robot cat to my serious game about little glowing magic gems and giant biological weapons and a guy trying to meld with the planet because of his alien mother. It's only right to remove that character and replace it with a bland generic character because fans know best. Like how Cloud's supposed to be an eternally emo whiny baby. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go raise some racing chocobos that're so inbred they'd make West Virgina cringe.

They should do something useful instead, like make Yuffie not the kind of character that Cid would've pushed off the airship at the first opportunity.

Endorph posted:

To be fair, the Breath of Fire 2 retranslation is pretty good.

Care to summarize it? I don't remember much of the actual text in BoF2. I mainly remember that dragon 'forms' became useless garbage quickly, especially if when you got Bleu, and the fishing was an actual minigame, which was fun at the time, and an easy way to get money when you started out. The only text I can recall that was just bad was when you fight Ray(?) and have to use your best dragon form on him, but there was no clear notification about it, and using it at a half-assed strength didn't count.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man all a translation had to do was remove lines like "this guy are sick". Maaaaybe change Fire/2/3 to Fire/Ra/Ga to match the rest of the series.

Final Fantasy 14 went back to 1-2-3-4 instead of the Cure/ra/ga/ja stuff. Hopefully it stays that way and SE has realized "you know we still call these spells Fire 1/2/3/4 just using gibberish instead of numbers."

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

AngryRobotsInc posted:

One of the other big problems with the people doing the translation is they're....those sort of FFVII fans. The "There is no humor in this at all!" sorts. Scroll down a tad and you get this bit, on a future (psh, yeah. It's never happening) feature of the patch:

Now granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Cait Sith, but really?

That's loving terrible.

"Hey guys, let's take all the life out of the script and make everyone the angry shitbag we all know they should have been"

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
My favorite thing about playing switcheroo with Cait Sith is that they replace him with a guy named Backstab O'Betrayerson and act like they're improving the game. They should have replaced him with Gogo instead.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF11 always just used numbers for the spells though, with Ga meaning they were AOE. So you would have Fire 2, Firaga 2, Fire 3, Firaga 3. Then Flare had like Flare 2 and stuff since it's an MMO and they need to keep releasing spells. I guess it's easier to slap on a 5 than make a new name for a spell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hate the ra/ga stuff also because it changed lightning to thunder to make it fit. Thunder doesn't do anything! It's just the sound lightning makes!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I hate the ra/ga stuff also because it changed lightning to thunder to make it fit. Thunder doesn't do anything! It's just the sound lightning makes!

:spergin: Thunder's actually the correct translation in this case. So it's a gently caress up from the word go.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe it should be replaced with THUNDERSTRUCK! :black101:

And then you get Thunderstruckra and Thunderstruckga.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best spell name in the series will always be ZAP!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

The best spell name in the series will always be ZAP!

I was always partial to RUB.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
XXXX 4 lyfe.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Now I just need to wait for an FFVIII retranslation since it's translation apparently wasn't that good either.

I'm not sure how they could gently caress it up though. I mean, it's FFVIII for one thing, so it's more like an uphill battle.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Now I just need to wait for an FFVIII retranslation since it's translation apparently wasn't that good either.

I'm not sure how they could gently caress it up though. I mean, it's FFVIII for one thing, so it's more like an uphill battle.

Here's my FF8 retranslation idea: Remove any and all of Squall's internal monologue boxes. Don't replace them with anything, just try and make sense of the character 'arcs' and plot as the rest of the setting sees it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

FF8's translation is serviceable. There's few errors, but it's just kinda bland in places.

Hot dogs.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It's too bad that to play an FF8 retrans you'd need to play FF8.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Here's my FF8 retranslation idea: Remove any and all of Squall's internal monologue boxes. Don't replace them with anything, just try and make sense of the character 'arcs' and plot as the rest of the setting sees it.

Or do replace them. With Jean Shephard-style narration. Reimagine FF8 as a story told by an older Squall spinning tall tales.

Crap I think I done said this out loud

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man all a translation had to do was remove lines like "this guy are sick".

I know that, objectively, any retranslation would have to change 'this guy are sick', but goddammit, I really don't want them to.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Or do replace them. With Jean Shephard-style narration. Reimagine FF8 as a story told by an older Squall spinning tall tales.

Crap I think I done said this out loud

Seifer Almasy! What a rotten name! We were trapped! There he stood, between us and the radio tower, staring out at us with his yellow eyes. He had yellow eyes! So, help me, God! Yellow eyes!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

BloodWulfe posted:

FFVII Fan Translation posted: posted:

ピッツァ2000 PTZ2000 [Shin-Ra car tyres] Pizza 2000
クェ Wark "[From the Chocoball jingle.]" Kweh
小さな姉弟がいた家 Nibelheim House Lit. Niblheim, the house where the little siblings were Young Siblings' Home
]ハチマキ Headband [Japanese Headband/Bandana] Hachimaki
203ミリ砲弾 8inch Cannon 203mm Shells
ラストエリクサー Megalixir Last Elixir
フェニックスの尾 Phoenix Down Phoenix Tail
神羅の最新潜水監 Shinra Sub Newest Shin-Ra Submarine "State-of-the-Art Shin-Ra Submarine"
クライムハザード Climhazzard "[Possibly Climb Hazard. Luksy says Crime is more likely from a Japanese point of view]" Crime Hazard
水面蹴り Waterkick "[A pro wrestling move]" Surface Sweep
キマイラ Harpy "[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28mythology%29]" Chimera
モルボル Malboro "[Possibly from ""morimori""]" Morbor
木の葉乱舞 Autumn Leaves "Lit. Tree Leaves' Boisterous Dance" Wild Dance of the Leaves
地下水 Sewer Groundwater
水攻め Waterball Inundation
チョコボ&モーグリ Choco/Mog Chocobo & Moguri
チョコボックル Chocobuckle "[Mix of word Chocobo and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro-pok-guru]" Chocobokkuru
デブチョコボ Fat Chocobo [Light-hearted word for fat] Chubby Chocobo

This guy sounds like a delightful person and not at all insufferable.

:negative:

Sounds like the worst, spregy-est type of VII fan. Also the change from fat to chubby chocobo probably tells you all you need to know about his physical fitness.

kirbysuperstar posted:

FF8's translation is serviceable. There's few errors, but it's just kinda bland in places.

Hot dogs.

♫ TRAINS ♫

Also I kinda like the -ra/-ga/-ja naming convention. :ohdear:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Bregor posted:

Also I kinda like the -ra/-ga/-ja naming convention. :ohdear:

I've always been kindof conflicted when it comes to this, because the suffixes make it sound more like what the characters would say/think/howevermagicworks to cast the spells, but at the same time I like Bolt 1/2/3 way better than Thunder/-ra/-ga. Boltaga?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Zap/Zapra/Zapaga

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fister Roboto posted:

Thor is the God of Thunder, but he's always slinging lightning everywhere.

Xad posted:

I've always been kindof conflicted when it comes to this, because the suffixes make it sound more like what the characters would say/think/howevermagicworks to cast the spells, but at the same time I like Bolt 1/2/3 way better than Thunder/-ra/-ga. Boltaga?

Bolt just sounds drat cool, and thus I support it over thunder or lightning.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lessail posted:

edit: also i don't really like however the battle system/battles ended up in 9?

How so? FF9 has a really quirky ATB system that is active at all times, unlike in previous games where it paused while attacks were being executed. The only thing the Wait setting does in the config menu is make it pause while selecting commands. It's really easy to exploit this to your advantage. All you have to do is select a command (open an Item or ability menu or select Attack and let the finger wait on the enemy target, or whatever). ATB is not active during this. When you're ready to let time move again, confirm the command.

Here's the simple version:
  • Pause ATB while members of your party are executing any action. Only confirm it after the character returns to their idle position and stance. This applies for characters attacking, countering, using items, Auto-Potion, etc. You do this because you do not want to let enemies' gauges fill if any of your characters are waiting to move.
  • Let time go as normal while enemies are executing their actions.

In reality it's a bit more complicated than that as the above strategy is contingent on how many enemies there are, how many characters you have waiting for input, how much of the ATB bars are filled, etc. I never needed to make use of that in vanilla, but it's saved my rear end many times in the Unleashed hack.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

BloodWulfe posted:

This guy sounds like a delightful person and not at all insufferable.
They're changing Phoenix Down? Why?

NikkolasKing posted:

8's various problems are unrelated to the translation.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nihilarian posted:

Because it's a filthy, inferior, Occidental baka-gaijin localisation, and they must be purged to restore the purity of the orignal tongue. :japan:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

CottonWolf posted:

I know that, objectively, any retranslation would have to change 'this guy are sick', but goddammit, I really don't want them to.

Didn't they fix the line on the PC version?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Xad posted:

I prefer Lost Odyssey's way of handling the suffixes. The fire spells are Flare/Flara/Flarus. It extends it both times.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Nihilarian posted:

Because down is soft and warm and comforting and FF7 is supposed to be GRIM and DARK and BRUTAL. So rather than using some wimpy, fruity down to restore the fighting spirit of your unconscious friends, you need to use the whole tail, ripped from the back of the still living bird and fresh with its warm life's blood in order to properly resurrect your fallen allies from the DEAD because that is entirely consistent with the tone of Final Fantasy VII. :byodood: :respek: :unsmigghh:

Seriously, did you even play the game? :raise:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sunning posted:

Didn't they fix the line on the PC version?

They did. PC FF7 was my first Final Fantasy game (:suicide:) and the meme went over my head for years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Care to summarize it? I don't remember much of the actual text in BoF2. I mainly remember that dragon 'forms' became useless garbage quickly, especially if when you got Bleu, and the fishing was an actual minigame, which was fun at the time, and an easy way to get money when you started out. The only text I can recall that was just bad was when you fight Ray(?) and have to use your best dragon form on him, but there was no clear notification about it, and using it at a half-assed strength didn't count.
The BoF2 official SNES translation was done by Capcom itself. In the early 90s. Around the same time they were knocking out translations like 'You must defeat Shen Long to stand a chance.'

There's dozens of lines on the same level as 'this guy are sick', and the game's main plot dump is outright incomprehensible.

The fan-retranslation for it is pretty solid. No dumb 'let's just directly romanize the japanese name' choices, no Crime Hazard, no 'this is MY fanfic but I will enforce it on the game' decisions, just translating the game as best they can and making it all flow in English. If there's a bad pun in Japanese, they actually localize it and make it a bad pun in English instead of just directly translating the bad pun into nonsense.

(they're gonna kill a plantman)

There's a coupled of stilted lines and the translator tries too hard to use official terms from later Breath of Fire games but overall the whole thing is pretty solid.

Bregor posted:

Sounds like the worst, spregy-est type of VII fan. Also the change from fat to chubby chocobo probably tells you all you need to know about his physical fitness.

To be fair, that's like the one thing there that makes sense, at least if the original Japanese actually is a lighthearted word for 'fat.' Chubby fits that better than just outright using the word fat, and makes it kinda lighthearted since clearly that chocobo's way more than just chubby.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 13, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Endorph posted:

(they're gonna kill a plantman)

They even made the dialog boxes look pretty :v:

How does it compare to the GBA port? I can't remember if that version had a decent translation or not...

I've only ever played through Breath of Fire IV. BoF2 is one I've always wanted to play, but just never got around to it. I'd be more interested if the translation made a lick of sense for a change, but until they reduce the insane battle encounter rate I'll probably just continue to ignore it.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Mak0rz posted:

They even made the dialog boxes look pretty :v:

How does it compare to the GBA port? I can't remember if that version had a decent translation or not...

I'm pretty sure the GBA version just had the same translation as the SNES.

The SNES patch has some nice feature improvements like that, yeah. Most of those were imported from a german retranslation hack by a different author.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The only thing the GBA version added was a sprint button. The SNES patch adds that in anyway though.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I can see an FFVIII retranslation now...

"We will not change Final Fantasy VIII's plot in any way."

"The following characters are being removed for being insignificant and poorly written:
Zell
Selphie
Irvine
Cid
CC Group
Seifer
Raijin
Ultimecia
Laguna
Kid Ellone
Rinoa
The holes in the cast will be replaced by characters from my FFVIII fanfiction 'Better Off Forgotten,' a sweeping 3000 chapter story that elaborates on what I think the FFVIII universe is about and the dangers of GF use."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TARDISman posted:

I can see an FFVIII retranslation now...

"We will not change Final Fantasy VIII's plot in any way."

"The following characters are being removed for being insignificant and poorly written:
Zell
Selphie
Irvine
Cid
CC Group
Seifer
Raijin
Ultimecia
Laguna
Kid Ellone
Rinoa
The holes in the cast will be replaced by characters from my FFVIII fanfiction 'Better Off Forgotten,' a sweeping 3000 chapter story that elaborates on what I think the FFVIII universe is about and the dangers of GF use."

No mention of the 'Squall is dead' fanwank. 2/10, try again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

No mention of the 'Squall is dead' fanwank. 2/10, try again

Whoa whoa, that'd be revealing spoilers and I can't do that.