Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Oh god, I haven't watched Buddyfight in months. Is it still an entertaining wreck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Short Answer: Yes.
Long Answer: Yes.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Excellent. I stopped watching right at the recap episode before the ABC Cup and I don't know why. The dub was a hot mess, but I loved it because of that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So I heard that on Arc-V's most recent episode there's a D-Wheel? :suspense:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So I heard that on Arc-V's most recent episode there's a D-Wheel? :suspense:

I haven't watched in a few episode, but a friend showed me this and told me the images on the left are Arc-V and the images on the right are Zexal.

What are you planning, Arc-V?! :argh:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Haha Oh man.
I foresee only good things.
Taking things from previous Series? Trapping people in cards from the original, ruined alternate earth world from GX, Duel Runners from 5Ds and Xyz summoning from Zexal (face it was the only serviceable thing.). I see what you're doing Arc-V.

Also Blue hair guy is totally Alternate Sora.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 11, 2014

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That little fat kid wiggling and going "SHIBIERU" will be burned into my nightmares, I swear. Why the hell is he like twice the framerate of everything else?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I have no idea where any of this is heading. :stonklol:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I stopped watching Yugioh after 5D's because Zexal was apparently kind of crap but on a whim I decided to watch Arc-V and it has surprised me with just how good it's been. At first I thought I was enjoying mainly out of card game anime withdrawal but its been legitimately great.

I thought it was good when it was just being all lighthearted, and wacky, and fun, but now there's elements of conspiracy and mystery to it and none of it feels out of place. I'm also really enjoying how meta the show is getting, with all the references to the previous shows and even with the fact that theres more than one character with the yu-prefix.

Arc-V is really great you guys. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm also really enjoying how meta the show is getting, with all the references to the previous shows and even with the fact that theres more than one character with the yu-prefix.

I found this really interesting, actually. Instead of only the main character, we have four characters with the "Yu" prefix: Yuya, Yuzu, "The Dark Duelist" Yuto and "The White Rider" Yugo. What do they all have in common? They all focus on one of the advanced, Extra Deck-reliant summon types: Yuya with Pendulum, Yuto with Xyz, Yugo we can guess with Synchro being a Riding Duelist. Yuzu herself is learning Fusion, thus completing every summon type.

Even moreso, the series is blatantly referencing things from the series where those styles were most important: Yuto is from Heartland (a very destroyed Heartland), and Yugo is not only form what seems to be a ruined future, but is also a Riding Duelist, both things critical to 5D's. Yuzu herself goes to a Duel School, just like GX (if far less important, since LDS seems to be far closer to Duel Academia). Yuya is...the main character from the Pendulum-focused series, of course.

Also can I say I really, really like Reiji? Like, I usually like the rival characters, but Reiji's rather unique even amongst them because he's...you know, a proper good and moral person who shows actual respect to people and doesn't flaunt his position of power. He's also a total badass, using all four Extra Deck summons like that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

I found this really interesting, actually. Instead of only the main character, we have four characters with the "Yu" prefix: Yuya, Yuzu, "The Dark Duelist" Yuto and "The White Rider" Yugo. What do they all have in common? They all focus on one of the advanced, Extra Deck-reliant summon types: Yuya with Pendulum, Yuto with Xyz, Yugo we can guess with Synchro being a Riding Duelist. Yuzu herself is learning Fusion, thus completing every summon type.

Even moreso, the series is blatantly referencing things from the series where those styles were most important: Yuto is from Heartland (a very destroyed Heartland), and Yugo is not only form what seems to be a ruined future, but is also a Riding Duelist, both things critical to 5D's. Yuzu herself goes to a Duel School, just like GX (if far less important, since LDS seems to be far closer to Duel Academia). Yuya is...the main character from the Pendulum-focused series, of course.

Also can I say I really, really like Reiji? Like, I usually like the rival characters, but Reiji's rather unique even amongst them because he's...you know, a proper good and moral person who shows actual respect to people and doesn't flaunt his position of power. He's also a total badass, using all four Extra Deck summons like that.

Makes me wonder if we will see a Ritual player down the line.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Makes me wonder if we will see a Ritual player down the line.

If YGO Wiki is not lying (and it has lied a lot in the past), then Yuya's third match will be against a Flip and Ritual user. I wouldn't trust this 100% yet, but I sure hope it's true.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, I like him too! The funny part is that he's like 16 or something and already head of a giant corporation. :confuoot:

Hearing the D-Wheel sounds was really nostalgic, maybe I should give 5Ds another watch after I finish ZeXal. :)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I still think that Arc-V is going to be the Gokaiger/Digimon Xros Wars of Yugioh, and that we'll see the former protagonists make an appearance at some point in the series.

Blaze Dragon posted:

If YGO Wiki is not lying (and it has lied a lot in the past), then Yuya's third match will be against a Flip and Ritual user. I wouldn't trust this 100% yet, but I sure hope it's true.

The wikia's episode previews have never been wrong though, from my experience.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Silento posted:

Yeah, I like him too! The funny part is that he's like 16 or something and already head of a giant corporation. :confuoot:
Hearing the D-Wheel sounds was really nostalgic, maybe I should give 5Ds another watch after I finish ZeXal. :)

Same age as Kaiba. :colbert:

And the same business ethic, mostly.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Same age as Kaiba. :colbert:

And the same business ethic, mostly.

Wait, Kaiba was 16? What the christ, he's so tall! :eyepop:

fake edit: I figured he must be like 19, at least...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He was Yugi's classmate, so he can't be older than Yugi and the rest. Not like we see him much in class, anyways.

Also I'll believe the business ethic thing the moment I see Reiji create a theme park exclusively for the purpouses of torturing/murdering everyone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dexie posted:

I still think that Arc-V is going to be the Gokaiger/Digimon Xros Wars of Yugioh, and that we'll see the former protagonists make an appearance at some point in the series.

I kind of hope not. I think Arc-V's cast is strong enough to carry the show by itself and if they bring back the old protagonists I feel like it would take screen-time and development from the new characters.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I kind of hope not. I think Arc-V's cast is strong enough to carry the show by itself and if they bring back the old protagonists I feel like it would take screen-time and development from the new characters.

I don't mean as major recurring characters. I mean as cameos and one-off appearances.

I mean, they keep piling on reference after reference to all the past shows, and the twentieth anniversary of the franchise will be coming up towards the tail end of the series (assuming it runs for 150 or so episodes). I could see each of the past protagonists showing up towards the end of the series for a big one-off battle or something.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, can you believe how much better Neon Messiah looks than the actual Vanguard show? That goddamn budget is beautiful. I mean seriously, check out this new trailer (with Daigo goodness, because why not) (Neon Messiah starts at ~36s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34bscywF6w

It looks beautiful. It also spoils the ending of a season that hasn't even ended yet, but honestly, Legion Mate has been so bad I don't even care. Neon Messiah looks far better, but I might just be too jaded and really want something that isn't as bad as Legion Mate. Also it has loving Koutei and I can never say no to that, Koutei is the best.

That said, that animation is beautiful. Check Aichi's ridiculous hair in motion, it's great. And Aichi's new Legion has Alfred turning into a goddamn plane and if that's not the best thing ever I don't even know what to tell you. I thought Monarch Sanctuary was ridiculous but this is in a whole new level and I love it. Lacks a cool summon chant but I'm sure they'll give him one, either in the movie or in Season 5 which will hopefully be more Link Joker and less Legion Mate.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So this is a thing

Booster SP: Tribe Force

The Necloth of Trishula
Warrior/Ritual/Effect
You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Necloth" Ritual Spell Card. Must be Ritual Summoned by using non-Level 9 monsters, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. During either player's turn, when a "Necloth" monster(s) you control is targeted by a card or effect: You can discard this card; negate the activation. When this card is Ritual Summoned: You can banish 1 card from your opponent's side of the field, hand (at random) and Graveyard. You can only use each effect of "The Necloth of Trishula" once per turn.

I know Konami loves its dragons but this is getting ridiculous, third Trishula version with the exact same effect that the original one.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
To be fair, that effect owns bones.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Trishula was the original unstoppable evil force of the Duel Terminal world. It would make sense that other things would want to use it's power.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 16, 2014

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I was wondering how Konami gonna make ritual monster good, this is a good start.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
I am interested in seeing what monsters will become Necloths.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Necloth Exomirror
This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Necloth" Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field, or banish "Necloth" monsters from your Graveyard, whose total Levels equal the Level of that Ritual Monster. You can only use this effect of "Necloth Exomirror" once per turn. If you control no monsters: You can banish both this card and 1 "Necloth" monster from your Graveyard; add 1 "Necloth" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

There's the archetypes aquamirror and miracle fusion all in one. If this deck mills itself at any real speed it's going to take the place of Gishki's entirely.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Another good episode of Arc-V this week, it's doing the funny caricatures and gimmicks right to the same degree ZeXal did them wrong. gently caress you, Cat-chan. Why do you have a tail?????? :psyduck: Also Tokunosuke the gremlin with his little hat...

I'm working through arc 6 of ZeXal at the moment, the best part of the show by far was the trip to the Astral World. The main plot is interesting, but the side-character's plots? Not so much...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I swear the fat kid in Arc-V is slowly getting fatter.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dabir posted:

I swear the fat kid in Arc-V is slowly getting fatter.

I hope he gets so fat he explodes. Can we get the Cookmate dude here? He'd probably do a really good job.

Also spoilers for the other cardgame anime, read at your own discretion (hahah, because anything interesting is going to happen in Legion Mate)

Star-vader, Blaster Joker. Nothing else known, though it's pretty obvious it's a Link Joker. Aichi's likely to use this against Cera, so that's pretty cool. First non-Grade 3 Reverse unit, even if it's not counted as such. I expected Aichi to get an evil Blaster Blade now, and holy poo poo he looks cool.

Sad he'll end up being disappointing just like the rest of this season.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Silento posted:

Another good episode of Arc-V this week, it's doing the funny caricatures and gimmicks right to the same degree ZeXal did them wrong. gently caress you, Cat-chan. Why do you have a tail?????? :psyduck: Also Tokunosuke the gremlin with his little hat...

I'm working through arc 6 of ZeXal at the moment, the best part of the show by far was the trip to the Astral World. The main plot is interesting, but the side-character's plots? Not so much...

Yeah, the Astral World arc is really good. The only real problem I have with it is that since the Duel in those episodes required a ton of CGI, the animation budget suffered pretty badly. It made Shark's Barian flashback look really low-quality.

I enjoyed the Tag Duel episodes before that arc, too. I really liked the scenes where the cast tries to cope with Astral's death.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Okay, I finished ZeXal. First off, the positives:
  • They've gotten much better at CGI. The monsters blend in a lot better than in 5Ds, though this may be because of the color palettes used. I have to give them a lot of credit for doing a good job here, especially when compared to other anime that mix CGI and animation.

• The music was really good! I was disappointed that they stopped playing my favorite track after Season 1 (http://youtu.be/kRJu9sEyD9s), but then they brought it back for the last episode. That made me smile. :)

• They did a better job keeping the first and second halves of the series about the same overarching plot. In 5Ds Season 2 wasn't really that closely tied with Season 1, which was kinda weird. This gives me hope that Arc-V will have a cool, coherent (by anime standards, at least) plot.

It may seem like I'm saying it's good, but the negatives stand out a lot more than the positives.

• The art direction. Seriously, look at the character designs. They are bad bad bad. It certainly seems that when they created ZeXal they wanted it to be more kid-oriented than 5Ds--which is fine--but it really shows all over. I think they overshot the mark a little bit! :downs:

• Yuma's friends are useless. Most of them exist to have a few duels (if even) and be hostages the rest of the time. Seriously, they don't do anything at all.

• Villains are forgiven instantly. Look at Dr. Faker; he was hyped up to be this big bad mastermind that removed Yuma's dad (and Tron) from this dimension. And yet, as soon as he reveals he was doing it to save Haruto--which clashes with his prior characterization, notably him essentially torturing Kaito, Gauch, and Droite--he is 100% a good guy and almost entirely disappears from the story. Also he was going to fire Haruto into a different dimension. Also Also apparently he's a cyborg or something, I dunno.

• The character designs. Seriously, look at them! Don Thousand looked all cool and monster-y but then he turned out to be a generic bishounen. Look at Kotori's hair! Look at it!!

• Anticlimaxes. ZeXal suffered heavily from events ending with the equivalent of story-telling farts, like the Don Thousand fight.

• There were a few big missed opportunities, like "Re-Contract Universe" not being used again after its introduction. Characters have been drawing cards magically since the original series, but re-writing reality to win at card games is basically the greatest thing.

• Inadequate explanations of some plot threads, such as what exactly the Door of Destiny or ZeXal actually are, or how and why Kazuma did everything he did.

• JRPG Final Boss syndrome. Don Thousand apparently manipulated everything from thousands of years before the story began. This is the worst plot twist, Japan, please stop using it. Please.

• Yuma's deck has no cool theme. It's just a bunch of guys in silly outfits!

• The duel disks look dumb.

• Why are they using AR technology in Hell or Heaven? Why don't they just actually summon monsters, like they did in the first series? Hmm.

This is all the major stuff I can think of at the moment, but yeah. Lots of flaws.

I'm hoping Arc-V's plot turns out to be a clash of dimensions. Like, the 5Ds dimension, the ZeXal dimension, and now the Arc-V dimension. The original and GX could probably fit into any of them, or all three. The 5Ds dimension and the ZeXal dimension already collided, and that's why that world is all destroyed. It would also explain why there were no Synchros in ZeXal!

Thanks for reading my fanfiction. :)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, I think there were a couple more pros that you didn't point out. The Barian storyline was actually pretty good, Shark is one of the best characters Yu-Gi-Oh! has had (even if the writing team totally missed a chance to show a Ranked-Up Shark Drake...seriously, I waited the entire season, the moment Shark gets Rank-Up Magic Shark Drake disappears entirely). Don Thousand was disappointing, yeah, but the actual final boss was not him, it was Shark (rather, Nasch), and holy poo poo did he give us one awesome final fight, truly emotional.

Hell, all of the Barians were great characters. Shark and Vector are the best (seriously, Vector's one of my favourite YGO villains, right there with Dark Marik in the scale of sheer insanity), but the rest were all fun characters. It's sad when I care more about the villains (if you can even call them that, apart from of course Vector who was very much a villain) than the heroes, though...

Kaito wasn't bad either, though he was kinda there apart from a couple of cool duels and his whole thing with Misael. Not the best Kaiba (definitely below Kaiba, Jack and Reiji, not neccesarily in that order), but acceptable enough.

Basically what I am saying is that if we just cut everything non-Barian ZeXal could've been great. Instead it has a lot of parts that are just boring and lame, with some parts that have a gigantic spike in quality.

I do agree with everything you've said though. I just defend what I find great about ZeXal because it's easy to see the bad, not so easy to see the good. Overall ZeXal was still a bad series, even more coming after 5D's (which is still my favourite, I just choose to slightly rewrite everything after the Dark Signers. Z-One is totally future Yusei, don't loving pussy out of that writers), and even moreso coming before Arc-V, which is shaping out to be great from day one.

Also the whole dimensions thing...don't all YGO series happen in the same world? At the very least, the first three did, so it'd be kinda weird if they just suddenly decided to go alternate universe with ZeXal and Arc-V. Even moreso when we've seen what looked very much like Heartland in the latter.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

To be fair, some of those complaints are pretty commonplace in the entire franchise. The introductory group of friends usually turn out to be useless. Remember Yusei's tagalong losers? At least the Zexal scoobies did something. All those guys did was just get kidnapped. Not to mention Arc-V's fat kid. And easily forgiven villains just seems to be a thing in Yugioh, no matter what awful things they do. Kaiba, Pegasus, Noah, Marik, Kagemaru, Sartorius, Yubel, Goodwin, Aporia and Zone all did lovely things, but the protagonist just forgives them after the arc's over.

But yeah, I afree with your assessment. Though personally I thought the art style was okay. It's probably going to stick around for a few series, seeing as how Arc-V is using the same style just without crazy hair. I think they're trying to do what they did with the first three and give them similar artstyles.

And yeah, Shark is great.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

To be fair, some of those complaints are pretty commonplace in the entire franchise. The introductory group of friends usually turn out to be useless. Remember Yusei's tagalong losers?

Well, they disappeared after the first arc! And I think in GX the friends got more duels? I haven't seen the first 2 seasons of GX, so maybe I'm wrong. But that's totally true in the original series.

Blaze Dragon posted:

(which is still my favourite, I just choose to slightly rewrite everything after the Dark Signers. Z-One is totally future Yusei, don't loving pussy out of that writers)

Oh yeah, totally. That would have been much cooler.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also the whole dimensions thing...don't all YGO series happen in the same world? At the very least, the first three did, so it'd be kinda weird if they just suddenly decided to go alternate universe with ZeXal and Arc-V. Even moreso when we've seen what looked very much like Heartland in the latter.

Well it seems like Sora and Yuto (not sure about his name, the purple-haired XYZ guy) are from a different dimension. I'm just extrapolating from that. :cheeky:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

To answer your earlier comment Silento, apparently Yuma's deck has two themes. One is a manga syllable theme (Gagaga, Dododo, etc.) and the other is a pun theme. That one contains cards like Kagetokage (a mix of the words Shadow and Lizard), Rai Rider, and Tasukeleton (a pun off the words "save", "skeleton", and "pig"). I personally like the latter better. One card that was mentioned but never got used was called Traplin, a trap-negating monster that looked like Charlie Chaplin. I'm a sucker for stupid jokes like that. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kay Kessler posted:

Not to mention Arc-V's fat kid.

To be fair he's a tagalong and the kids are probably not gonna go on the eventual adventures with the gang. Think 5D's schoolkids that aren't the twins.
Sora seems to be crazy competent, and we haven't seen much of Yuzu out of her current fugue.

I'm optimistic for Arc-V to break some of the Series habits.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 21, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's sad when I care more about the villains (if you can even call them that, apart from of course Vector who was very much a villain) than the heroes, though...

This is pretty much the rule for all of shounen though. Yu Yu Hakusho is pretty much the only series in history where the main character was anywhere near as interesting as the side characters. Seriously, who ever seriously preferred Yugi to Kaiba or Joey?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flytrap posted:

This is pretty much the rule for all of shounen though. Yu Yu Hakusho is pretty much the only series in history where the main character was anywhere near as interesting as the side characters. Seriously, who ever seriously preferred Yugi to Kaiba or Joey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uLEm0WuWIg

I mean sure technically it's Yami Yugi but still. :colbert:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Hey man, Negi from Negima was a good character! And, other than that... Well, you've got me. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Flytrap posted:

I thought Yugi, Judai and Yusei were all pretty interesting guys, in the primes of their shows at least (or in Yugi's case, in the manga).

And Yuya's great and I will nothing to the contrary. :colbert:

• Locked thread