Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imo short games are a blessing so long as you've got other games to play and the ability to buy used, on sale, or rent to get appropriate value out of them.

so many games pad out the game with more of the same mechanics and it gets tired or it starts to look like they ran out of ideas until the final sequence finally starts.

i like to be left wanting more. usually when this happens i'm also more apt to hunt achievements or replay the game instead of riding the wave of relief that comes from finishing a game that overstays its welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Professor Funk posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm gonna start off with Black Flag/Madden 15 (though am also curious about The Show).

The Show isn't what it could have been. I got slight frame problems which meant using the pitching meter (how I prefer to pitch in baseball games) wasn't as accurate as it could have been. Baserunners wouldn't respond to inputs like they were supposed to. I finally just deleted the game when I had a baserunner just up and disappear. Like, poof, gone. No run, no out, nothing. Just walked back to the dugout 'cause he was bored, I guess.

The Show is the best baseball game by default, but I sure do miss MVP Baseball 2005.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

haveblue posted:

It's a decent length to be entertaining but it's much smaller than a "real" open world game like an AC or GTA and I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the first 2 Infamouses too.

Infamous SS feels like Assassin's Creed 1 - great ideas, good acting and motion capture, but the open world only has a few different events and none are really that fun.

For a comparison, Infamous 2 had something like 15 good/evil missions, most of which had unique voice acting, goals, and assets (like helping Fire Girl control monster OR joining Ice Girl in freeing them). Infamous SS only has three such missions. That said, the open world was the best looking in the series.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Just played the Child of Light demo. Is the whole game that entertaining?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Milkman posted:

What does that have to do with the PS4 UI being all jumbly.

Folders/pinned items wouldn't be a herculean task to implement or run. And it's not unreasonable to expect/desire it when every other piece of consumer electronics with apps including the handheld and previous iteration provides that kind of organization.

Hey now, you are talking about creating pointers to pointers. That right there is hard for 99% of the comp sci students to grasp these days. :colbert:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Professor Funk posted:

I loved the inFamous games on PS3, but I read the campaign in Second Son is super short, and I'm looking to get a lot of bang for my buck since I'm going to be a broke law student beginning in two weeks.

Screw it, maybe I'll get both, what's being a little more in debt? :getin:

I thought SS was just right, any longer and it would have outstayed it's welcome. Just because it's open-world doesn't mean it has to be a 40-hour epic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: what the heck am I supposed to do in the PT demo when the door opens a bit and there is a baby crying? It doesn't seem like I can go in there and all the doors are locked. I've walking back and forth for almost 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: what the heck am I supposed to do in the PT demo when the door opens a bit and there is a baby crying? It doesn't seem like I can go in there and all the doors are locked. I've walking back and forth for almost 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do.

Press R3 to zoom in. I'll leave the rest to you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shindragon posted:

Just loving axe it already.

Something tells me Sony is suckered into a serious case of the sunk cost fallacy with TLG.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sign-ups for The Crew closed beta on PS4 are open!

http://thecrew-game.ubi.com/portal/en-US/beta/index.aspx

Be forewarned, from what I understand that game is a bit of a letdown.

e: fixed the link

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 13, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Lblitzer posted:

As someone who came to the PS4 after playing PC games forever, here are some things I wish it had:

- a better UI, with some sort of organizing
- the ability to tell who is talking in a party, a transparent overlay would be amazing
- any sort of backwards compatibility
- Youtub but that is soon

Speaking of Youtube, are we getting the ability to upload to our profiles or is it just a viewer?

You can use Youtube on the PS4 now: open the web browser and go to https://www.youtube.com/tv

It's pretty well done, though the dedicated app will probably be better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JordanKai posted:

Sign-ups for The Crew closed beta on PS4 are open!

http://thecrew-game.ubi.com/portal/nl-NL/beta/index.aspx

Be forewarned, from what I understand that game is a bit of a letdown.

Is that the racing one or the shooting one?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Is that the racing one or the shooting one?

The racing one.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

New (sort of) Phantom Pain demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urPTyPB9Hak

It's the same mission as E3, but they approach it in a different way and show off some new tactics like forcing your horse to poo poo on a road so guards drive over it and spin wildly out of control, knocking them unconscious and allowing Big Boss to run up and strap a balloon to their jeep, which yanks them up into the air. Also Big Boss fultons a jeep into an enemy helicopter to take it out.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Here's the signup for the Crew in English (US)

Although part of me hopes I can only get the game in Dutch now.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Athenry posted:

Here's the signup for the Crew in English (US)

Although part of me hopes I can only get the game in Dutch now.

Oh geez, I figured the website would auto-fix the language but nope. :ohdear:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesus. PT is loving stupid. I'm to the point where I'm watching a Youtube video of it and things that are supposed to be happening are just not happening for me.

Like, initially I didn't know you were supposed to use R3 to zoom but now I'm stuck again. Is there some other control I'm supposed to know about? I looked on youtube and I'm at the part where you are supposed to gouge the eye out of the picture, but nothing happens. I've zoomed in on every square inch of this apartment and nothing Am I just retarded or is this game not intuitive at all?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NESguerilla posted:

Jesus. PT is loving stupid. I'm to the point where I'm watching a Youtube video of it and things that are supposed to be happening are just not happening for me.

Like, initially I didn't know you were supposed to use R3 to zoom but now I'm stuck again. Is there some other control I'm supposed to know about? I looked on youtube and I'm at the part where you are supposed to gouge the eye out of the picture, but nothing happens. I've zoomed in on every square inch of this apartment and nothing Am I just retarded or is this game not intuitive at all?

It's not supposed to be intuitive. Think of it like those AR games that sometimes get thrown around to promote stuff. They're ridiculously complicated and the solutions make no sense specifically because it makes the final reveal feel like a collaborative achievement between everyone involved.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I had the same problem NESguerilla. PT was really effective at making me nervous and then sort of deflated after I got stuck. Suspect it's bugged.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

NESguerilla posted:

Well, there is a giant X on it, so you can try pressing that button. Although literally any button will work.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think Kojima said during the Metal Gear presentation Q&A that it was supposed to take like a week for anyone to actually beat PT... I think it is meant to be confusing and non-intuitive. The fact that someone beat it day 1 was apparently luck.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

GI reporting a Gamescom Q&A posted:

He said he wanted to be an industry first to do a reveal like this, and he intentionally made the last puzzle of P.T. extremely difficult. "I expected it to take a week to solve," Kojima said. "I was surprised it took less than one day."

Kojima mused that he underestimated his fans, but he calls his interactive teaser reveal, "a success." Kojima wanted people all over the world to unite through the internet and solve the puzzle with his big reward: the Silent Hills announcement.

He wanted to make sure nobody had any idea that this was coming; therefore, he purposely dropped the graphical and gameplay quality so people would believe it came from an unknown studio. He did, however, hide a hint in the studio name: 7780s. The area of Japan's Shizuoka prefecture 7780 square kilometers, and one translation for the words "Silent Hill" in Japanese is Shizuoka.

Kojima also discussed how most developers are afraid to make horror games too scary, as it could potentially alienate the audience by being too much for them to handle. He said he's ignoring that for Silent Hills. He said when they first wanted to make the game the goal was to make "you pee your pants." Now Kojima says they "are aiming for a game that will make you s--- your pants."

"I made the graphics and gameplay worse to fool you" is something only Kojima could get away with saying and I would 100% believe him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EC posted:

Well, there is a giant X on it, so you can try pressing that button. Although literally any button will work.

I'm just gonna go and recoil in shame now.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
For me, the worst thing about the PS4 by far, and it's not a game breaker, is the way the mics for voice chat for so many people seem to either pick up every sound in their house or their heavily laboured breathing and I can't by default turn off everybody's mic except for my friends like I could with my 360.

The Last of Us isn't quite as fun when some guy's screaming baby and then screaming wife is happening in the background, and no, I didn't want to play Warframe with an entire spanish speaking multi-family household arguing with each other in the background.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
PT actually reminded me of Eternal Darkness. That feeling that things can be one way one second and completely different the next and it gets to the point where you can't be sure if it's the game loving with you or if you're just starting to see things. I'm really excited for this. I think one of the biggest flaws of most horror games is that they still feel very gamey. There's always that comfort of a recognizable structure, get the next item, fight the next bad guy. With PT (and hopefully the final product) things don't really seem to follow a recognizable logic. It really feels like you're trapped in a nightmare.

Of course this shouldn't get to the point where there's no indication of what you need to do next, but hopefully that's just a symptom of what they were trying to accomplish here.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Developers are right at not wanting to make games that scary. I wouldn't buy a such scary game.

Unfazed by the fetus and by the apparent pro-life horrorish propaganda I grab the torchlight and finally exit the bathroom. The door to the staircase is closed. Oh well. The radio says "he is behind you! he is behind you!" Nobody is behind me. I remember that there is a dark spot I did not see bef...AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!:argh:

Edit: Ok, I admit it, I had fun. My cat that was sleeping didn't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

InfiniteZero posted:

I can't by default turn off everybody's mic except for my friends like I could with my 360.

Destiny does this by default. For some reason people don't like it, I don't know what they're thinking.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

InfiniteZero posted:

The Last of Us isn't quite as fun when some guy's screaming baby and then screaming wife is happening in the backgroundbackground.

All you have to do with the last of us is press square during matchmaking. it mutes everybody. It won't mute your friends in your party chat.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

Destiny does this by default. For some reason people don't like it, I don't know what they're thinking.

There's a difference, Destiny does not simply turn off everybody's mic by default. You can't turn it back on and listen to people unless you invite them to your private squad, and that's the same in competitive multiplayer, you can't listen to people on your team unless they are in your squad.

haveblue posted:

For some reason people don't like it, I don't know what they're thinking.

I liked it but only because I never had any problem to find a goon to run with, but I recognize that either people will start to use the loving bungie forums to recruit teammates to play with or they will leave the game.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

InfiniteZero posted:

For me, the worst thing about the PS4 by far, and it's not a game breaker, is the way the mics for voice chat for so many people seem to either pick up every sound in their house or their heavily laboured breathing and I can't by default turn off everybody's mic except for my friends like I could with my 360.

The Last of Us isn't quite as fun when some guy's screaming baby and then screaming wife is happening in the background, and no, I didn't want to play Warframe with an entire spanish speaking multi-family household arguing with each other in the background.

Then don't? Create a private chat channel outside of the game and use that. When I play I only chat with my friends when I am playing and everyone else can gently caress right off.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

limaCAT posted:

Developers are right at not wanting to make games that scary. I wouldn't buy a such scary game.

Unfazed by the fetus and by the apparent pro-life horrorish propaganda I grab the torchlight and finally exit the bathroom. The door to the staircase is closed. Oh well. The radio says "he is behind you! he is behind you!" Nobody is behind me. I remember that there is a dark spot I did not see bef...AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!:argh:

Edit: Ok, I admit it, I had fun. My cat that was sleeping didn't.

Until the bit where I have to get the phone to ring, the PT Teaser was, for me at least, a tour de force of creeping, escalating tension, threaded with rich seams of confusion (in a good way; that sense of losing one's mind, and not being able to trust what you see). It quite effectively got under my skin. And *man*, do they find ways to do a whole lot with what is ostensibly a tiny, tiny location. I really liked the structure of it.

Kind of fizzled for me at (I think) the end, which is a shame, but everything up to that point was, to be blunt, more compelling and engaging than a decent number of actual, whole games I've played. (Though I should probably admit that I *am* a soft touch when it comes to spooky stuff.)

Seriously, you want me to be intruiged by your new title? Job loving done!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I got yelled at the first time I said this by some idiots who were comparing the Last Guardian to Half life 2 (hahahahaha), but if you honestly believe The Last Guardian will both see the Light of Day, and actually be a good game you are hilariously naive. I can't believe anyone is even still excited for it anymore after the debacle that is it's development history. The game is most likely never coming out, and if it does, at best it will a neat concept buried in an absolute disaster of a game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Megasabin posted:

I got yelled at the first time I said this by some idiots who were comparing the Last Guardian to Half life 2 (hahahahaha), but if you honestly believe The Last Guardian will both see the Light of Day, and actually be a good game you are hilariously naive. I can't believe anyone is even still excited for it anymore after the debacle that is it's development history. The game is most likely never coming out, and if it does, at best it will a neat concept buried in an absolute disaster of a game.

Nah it'll probably be pretty good.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Megasabin posted:

My uncle works at SCE Worldwide and he gave me the super secret information that The Last Guardian will be made by Zindagi and will be the first game using Morpheus on the PS4.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Pretty sure ICO had a similarly tortured development cycle and people seem to like it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I honestly don't think I can handle a full Silent Hill game from these two with the level of terror in PT throughout. Jesus Christ those guys are hosed up. It's expertly crafted.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Did anyone die of heart attack because of P.T. yet?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DarkJC posted:

Pretty sure ICO had a similarly tortured development cycle and people seem to like it.

Don't forget FF15 has finished its Duke Nukem development cycle also. It took the entire first half of the PS3 life cycle, console hopped, and changed from side story to main game. I loving love the director's work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm just gonna go and recoil in shame now.

I think everyone felt really dumb when they realized/were told how to do that :shobon:

• Locked thread