Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

My Imaginary GF posted:

The racial changes and transitions, which occured at the neighborhood level in America through the 60s and 70s, have left policing into the hands of individuals whose authority is granted through the perception of force, rather than through the strenth of personal networks.

Needless to say, St. Louis is a city and a county that is in every way a southern culture in how it handles minority issues. It tries to sell itself as a northern city, in that money rather than heriditary is the deciding factor in power, yet it only hides this to visiters while emphasizing family to locals. I lived in St. Louis for a while, implemented programs and lobbied for policy changes which would improve collective efficacy at the neighborhood level, and will gladly go into more detail with specific policy failures and suggestions for corrections. I'll try and start writing up an effortpost if anyone's interested.

Please do. I can't go out tonight so we need some content to keep this thread from devolving into the typical d&d bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://vine.co/v/MYXPAb9XIqZ

"just want to know if I was going to be gassed again, like I was on Monday night. And I was peaceful. And I'm your state senator."

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/anonymous-releases-st-louis-police-dispatch-tapes

quote:

This was just posted by @theanonmessage, a twitter account affiliated with Anonymous' Operation Ferguson. They start talking about the Mike Brown shooting around 11:26:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zta9FyoA7TU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Seeing people in the press immediately jump to the most 'thug' photo they could find of Brown, when the batman loving spree shooter was described as an amazing scientist while displaying a normal smiling photo of him is well. poo poo, and the press is a dog and the police are itching for a fight.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Seeing people in the press immediately jump to the most 'thug' photo they could find of Brown, when the batman ducking spree shooter was described as an amazing scientist while displaying a smiling photo of him is well. poo poo.
What is this photo they are using? I tend to avoid TV news.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

D_I posted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

D_I posted:

Brown "throwing a gang sign", looks like just a peace sign, the batman shooter was much longer ago, but I remember how he wasn't immediately shown to be threatening.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
I don't see how that can be percieved as "thugish" unless you already came to that conclusion beforehand.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

D_I posted:

I don't see how that can be percieved as "thugish" unless you already came to that conclusion beforehand.

Riiiiiiight.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Nonsense posted:

Brown "throwing a gang sign", looks like just a peace sign, the batman shooter was much longer ago, but I remember how he wasn't immediately shown to be threatening.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/iftheygunnedmedown?src=hash

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

D_I posted:

It is the natural conclusion; after all, he did "fit the description". :(:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

D_I posted:

The old white conservative sees a black male, wearing a "gang color" tank top, throwing a "gang sign".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

D_I posted:

Maybe you're not the target for that photo, eh?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Look at this loving criminal thug, throwing gang signs and poo poo, thank god he was killed before he raped a child and sold her into slavery.

D_I posted:

Do you see the color of his skin? He's weaing red clothing? Menacing with his hands? Obvious criminal behavior.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Rock paper scissors.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Has the looting ended, because the local news here claimed it was still widespread and the police were hunting looters down.

Yeah that was the one, thanks. That corgi owns.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
That's a good twitter

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

furiouskoala posted:

Gawker is trying to get the name of the cop who shot the kid. Judging by the comments, people seem to be split on the ethics of this, I don't see the problem myself though. The law is the law and I am pretty sure by law they are supposed to disclose this guy's name.

The issue I have is unless your 100% sure it's the right name then you don't release it, period, and even then it's iffy. You want to avoid what happened with Spike Lee and "George Zimmerman's" address.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Neo Duckberg posted:

Rock paper scissors.

"2 days until I start college."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

The issue I have is unless your 100% sure it's the right name then you don't release it, period, and even then it's iffy. You want to avoid what happened with Spike Lee and "George Zimmerman's" address.

I agree with this, isn't just wanting to release a name, any name, how reddit tried to get that suicide victim accused of the Boston bombing? I was fuzzy on that incident, whether they drove the guy to kill himself, or he had already taken his own life and he was just 'missing' so they accused him.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Chinatown posted:

"2 days until I start college."

That makes the lack of a "high school senior picture" even more blatant.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Neo Duckberg posted:

Yes it is a mess of personal kingdoms. Nobody wants to come together and make poo poo like a single government for the county and the city, which would make more sense. We have the "most dangerous city in America," less than 10 miles from one of the most expensive zip codes in America.

The latter is one of the causes of the former. I remember when they were trying to run Metrolink farther west and south and there were actually letters to the paper complaining that this would let the black people come from the city and steal their TVs and take them back on the light rail.
Chesterfield wants to secede from the county because FYGM. Add to this the communities that aren't doing so well but are run by corrupt politicians who don't want to lose their graft game and it's going to stay a mess for a while.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
Maybe it's because i've lived in black neighborhoods my entire life that the photo is nothing shocking to me. I totally get why the media is using it though.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nonsense posted:

Has the looting ended, because the local news here claimed it was still widespread and the police were hunting looters down.

Yeah that was the one, thanks. That corgi owns.

There is no looting anymore, just random crime which is par for the course there.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The latter is one of the causes of the former. I remember when they were trying to run Metrolink farther west and south and there were actually letters to the paper complaining that this would let the black people come from the city and steal their TVs and take them back on the light rail.
Chesterfield wants to secede from the county because FYGM. Add to this the communities that aren't doing so well but are run by corrupt politicians who don't want to lose their graft game and it's going to stay a mess for a while.

I wish they would, there is nothing in Chesterfield but an itty bitty lovely airport and the theater

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Speaking of this the #iftheygunnedmedown hash tag is pretty interesting. Here's an article about it:

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_grapevine/2014/08/_iftheygunnedmedown_shows_how_black_people_are_portrayed_in_mainstream_media.html

Edit: holy poo poo beaten.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Neo Duckberg posted:

There is no looting anymore, just random crime which is par for the course there.

Thank you for providing stuff on the ground.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Nonsense posted:

I agree with this, isn't just wanting to release a name, any name, how reddit tried to get that suicide victim accused of the Boston bombing? I was fuzzy on that incident, whether they drove the guy to kill himself, or he had already taken his own life and he was just 'missing' so they accused him.

The latter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Sunil_Tripathi

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Don't forget the NY Post with it's Bag Men Headline a day or two after fingering 2 middle eastern looking men because they're soulless fear mongering assholes the NY post.

Weren't they both here on work or student visa's... and because they were even implicated they couldn't get them renewed?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/pollyirungu/status/499258937149890560

Yep

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

People say that OBAMA is too polarizing on racial issues. There is literally no person that can speak about the systemic racial problems in this country that would not be immediately tarred with being a race baiter or whatever. The deal is that a large amount of people think there are no problems so anyone complaining must obviously be trying to pull a fast one or profit somehow and if everyone just shut up we wouldn't have any issues since they wouldn't be confronted with them.

The Right managed to turn the name "Obama" itself into a dog whistle. And cried "race card" so frequently that being offended by racist remarks makes YOU the lesser so suddenly you have millions of people that think anything short of the N-word itself is ok and so is the N-word because those ferals are being too sensitive. Then they spread the whole "racism is dead" bullshit around so much that the zeitgeist changes and it's perfectly ok to loudly and repeatedly scream about how "urban ferals are ruining the country" because racism is dead they can't be racist they're just speaking the truth and besides they didn't SAY "black people" so they could have meant anything *wink wink* and aren't you being too sensitive God it's like I can't even spit on a minority nowadays without the 'PC police' jumping down my throat.
It'd be a great god drat evil plot if the people who perpetrated it were able to think long enough in advance to actual plot a long term goal like this or this wasn't simply the result of billions of gallons of poo poo being flung and this is what happened to stick.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There is a huge difference between this case and the Boston bombing:

The police know with 100% certainty who killed Mike Brown.

This isn't a case of idiots trying to match faces out of a crowd, this is a case of a police department refusing to release an admitted killer's name out of fear for the safety of that killer.

So I think its a lot more legitimate for Gawker to be trying to find a source inside the PD or Anom. looking for digital proof of who the killer is. Its a known fact to the police who the killer is, someone just has to whistle blow it to the public.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

This isn't a case of idiots trying to match faces out of a crowd, this is a case of a police department refusing to release an admitted killer's name out of fear for the safety of that killer.

So I think its a lot more legitimate for Gawker to be trying to find a source inside the PD or Anom. looking for digital proof of who the killer is. Its a known fact to the police who the killer is, someone just has to whistle blow it to the public.
Even if we find out who shot him it's not as if he is gonna be arrested, at most he will get some desk duty and free drinks at cop bars across the country.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
In case anyone was wondering, a Sovereign Citizen kook who had explosives and an AK-47 that he fired at fire-fighters and at police? Arrested alive. Was he white? Oh, just a little.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

D_I posted:

Even if we find out who shot him it's not as if he is gonna be arrested, at most he will get some desk duty and free drinks at cop bars across the country.

I think everyone in that community deserve to know who the murderer is, at the very least. Whether or not anything useful will come of it is a different story.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

D_I posted:

If we don't know his name we can't find his service record, we can't find out if he has history of misusing police weapons or had problems with racial sensitivity.

Sometimes, the feds do in fact arrest cops. But the media has to do the leg work of actually investigating and proving to the world that something illegal happened. This can't start without the killer's name. That's a good reason to withhold the name as long as you can, by the way.....

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Does anyone have a transcript of the dispatch audio?

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

The motherjones article is adding lines from the video as they watch it.

EDIT: Well, they put up this much:

9:35: "Ferguson is asking for assistance with crowd control . . ."

10:58: "Now they have a large group gathering there, she doesn't know any further. . ."

11:20: "We just got another call stating it was an officer-involved shooting . . ."

11:30: "Be advised, this information came from the news . . ."

11:55: "We're just getting information from the news and we just called Ferguson back again and they don't know anything about it . . ."

20:00: ". . .destruction of property . . ."

21:55: "They are requesting more cars. Do you want me to send more of your cars?"

43:55: "Attention all cars, be advised that in reference to the call 2947 Canfield Drive, we are switching over to the riot channel at this time . . ."

say no to scurvy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 13, 2014

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apoplexy posted:

In case anyone was wondering, a Sovereign Citizen kook who had explosives and an AK-47 that he fired at fire-fighters and at police? Arrested alive. Was he white? Oh, just a little.

Ohio man arrested after friends parade AR-15s through neighborhood, spouting racial slurs

quote:

Police arrested one of four people who walked through a Cincinnati neighborhood while openly carrying AR-15 rifles and repeatedly using racial slurs and profanity.

The video, which was later posted on YouTube and shared on social media, shows the foursome encounter police officers, who question them on camera but let them go on their way, reported WKRC-TV.

“This is going on YouTube, n*gga, world star,” Deboard says to a passing group of black men.

The full video shows a near-compulsive use of the N-word by Deboard, who frequently tags social media posts to indicate his support for Second Amendment rights, but police don’t believe the group is associated with any gangs or white supremacist groups.

Police conducted a further investigation after the video was posted online, and the 23-year-old Deboard was arrested and charged with menacing by stalking and violation of a protection order.

#nosuchthingaswhiteprivilege

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, it should be released by Gawker, but only if Gawker is certain that they have the right name. The cops should have released it already, but the fact that they haven't is no excuse for being imprecise and possibly getting it wrong and ruining an innocent person's life.

• Locked thread