Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

Finndo posted:

My view of Bubba was that he basically took the worst parts or at least the "least common denominator" parts of the Stern show and made them the centerpiece of his show. Throwing baloney onto a mayonnaise-coated stripper would be too highbrow for Bubba. I couldn't stand him on the channels. Though, to be fair, Ferrell (sp) and Jackie were/are worse.

A fair criticism. The show was only really good when they were doing something completely stupid because it wasn't just Bubba going ME ME ME ME ME ME ME.

And now 101 has what, Abe Kanan? Now THERE'S some unlistenable poo poo. They should just turn 101 over to Sal and Richard to see if they can strike a balance between a good show with entertaining bits and the completely juvenile poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I don't even think Abe Kanan is on 101 anymore, I think he has an AM show here in Chicago now.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I don't even think Abe Kanan is on 101 anymore, I think he has an AM show here in Chicago now.

I don't think are any regularly scheduled more than an hour long shows on 101 any more.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Abe has been gone for a few months now.

Monday - THE GREG FITZSIMMONS SHOW
Tuesday - JACKIE’S JOKE HUNT
Wednesday - THE DOCTOR HARRY FISCH SHOW
Thursday - RILEY MARTIN SHOW
Friday - THE JAY THOMAS SHOW

Everything else was poo poo canned when Tim left and the new program director took over.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Geekslinger posted:

Abe has been gone for a few months now.

Monday - THE GREG FITZSIMMONS SHOW
Tuesday - JACKIE’S JOKE HUNT
Wednesday - THE DOCTOR HARRY FISCH SHOW
Thursday - RILEY MARTIN SHOW
Friday - THE JAY THOMAS SHOW

Everything else was poo poo canned when Tim left and the new program director took over.

All those shows are terrible. The only good one is Riley but that's only when a caller fucks with him.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Oh my god how is Jay Thomas still on the air?! What blackmail does he have over Sirius/Stern?

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Look man, if you're going to bore us all by going into the history of the current conflict to find its origin and purpose then I'm going to have to hang up on you.

I was wondering if anyone else would notice this. The way he handled that caller was really uncomfortable and drove me absolutely nuts.

haljordan posted:

Oh my god how is Jay Thomas still on the air?! What blackmail does he have over Sirius/Stern?

I've never understood why this is the on air. Longest I've been able to listen is about 15 minutes quite some time ago. I'm not sure if I hate Jay or that old man Ira character more. I'd 100% rather listen to the Abe Kanan show than Jay Thomas and that ridiculous group.

Shapur fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 13, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I actually kinda like Jackie's show once in a while. He repeats the same silly stories about Long Island and just wants people to laugh.

..I got my dick out and I'm thinking about you...

I would actually love to read the full story and his Sirius years and all the poo poo afterwards on his radio shows. He went from the #2 show on Sirius to hosting a show with his sister that gets horrible ratings.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

hunter x az posted:

All those shows are terrible. The only good one is Riley but that's only when a caller fucks with him.

Hey, Fitzdog is quality entertainment.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

-Atom- posted:

Hey, Fitzdog is quality entertainment.

You're right -- he's pretty solid. Must have glanced over it. Could be worse. Could have a bob levy show.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Nevermind. Realized it was an old show. Was wondering why Stern and Robin where talking about Yasser Arafat as if he were alive.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 13, 2014

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

hunter x az posted:

Or if he has food poisoning.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Among other things, this thread has definitely turned me onto podcasts as an alternative to Howard. Artie Lange(when it existed), Adam Carolla, Gilbert Gottfreid... Unless Stern has a good guest or there are some good Richard/Sal bits, I enjoy these more I think. Plus podcasts don't cut off when you go through a tunnel or into a parking garage.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Ferrall's show was great if you liked sports. Plus, sour shoes was a fairly regular caller and would go back and forth with Scott as Scott.

Shake it up!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Ferrall's show was great if you liked sports. Plus, sour shoes was a fairly regular caller and would go back and forth with Scott as Scott.

Shake it up!!

Ferrall's show was good even if you didn't like sports. Sometimes he'd be going on about a subject I didn't care at all about, but the loud music and his ranting and raving were fun to listen to, for some reason.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

prefect posted:

Ferrall's show was good even if you didn't like sports. Sometimes he'd be going on about a subject I didn't care at all about, but the loud music and his ranting and raving were fun to listen to, for some reason.

I agree. Was his show on later in the evening? I have specific memories of driving home later at night and finding his show entertaining for what it was.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sand Monster posted:

I agree. Was his show on later in the evening? I have specific memories of driving home later at night and finding his show entertaining for what it was.

I think it was eight to midnight. Something around that time. Fred was a guest on the show once, and that was fun, because the continual music kind of overwhelmed him. He talked about it the next day on Stern and it was one of those cool conversations where you get to hear a little about how Fred thinks of things.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I hate sour shoes with a burning passion. :|

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Ferrall was also the first one to have Iron Sheik on, before it got old (fast). He was getting trolled so bad that day by callers.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Ps: I liked Ferrall. Dug his format. Where's he at now?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

hunter x az posted:

This is a horrible opinion

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Godinster posted:

This is a horrible opinion

What's his appeal? His voices are stupid, over the top, and just unfunny. He switches gears way too fast. He's a loser in real life too...

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

But enough about your posting!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZY2qztZog

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

hunter x az posted:

Ps: I liked Ferrall. Dug his format. Where's he at now?

He's on syndicated sports radio. His show is still good, same style as when he was on Howard 101.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003

hunter x az posted:

What's his appeal? His voices are stupid, over the top, and just unfunny. He switches gears way too fast. He's a loser in real life too...

What do you do for a living?

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

hunter x az posted:

Regardless of this crazy opinion, he put out an adults-only coloring book and a kickass music CD. All for $5. Plus he will call and prank a friend if you ask nicely.

Bless his cotton socks.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Kt88 posted:

What do you do for a living?

I'm like Hanzi I'm paid to call into radio shows because I have a draw. I bring the audience.

Hey the guy just irritates me. I'm sure you all have callers you dislike. I like ETM but I know plenty hate him.

That's the way she goes, boys.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

hunter x az posted:

He is a savant with unbelievable talent. The impersonations, musical knowledge and ability, etc. You're off base with the "loser in real life" accusation, too. He suffered traumatic head injuries that in part have resulted in him not really being able to function in the real world, so he babysits autistic children and lives with his parents and seems perfectly content to live as he has. Good for him, I say.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

He is a savant with unbelievable talent. The impersonations, musical knowledge and ability, etc. You're off base with the "loser in real life" accusation, too. He suffered traumatic head injuries that in part have resulted in him not really being able to function in the real world, so he babysits autistic children and lives with his parents and seems perfectly content to live as he has. Good for him, I say.

I'll disagree on the savant part but yes he's somewhat talented. Didn't know the rest. Thanks for putting it in perspective.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love Sour Shoes, I really wish he were capable of producing his own show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh my god, Steve, I'm really busy, can I call you right back?

Best Sour Shoes moment, by far. The whole loving thing.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I want you to go to jail for this. Got it?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The best part about that call is that it's almost entirely made up of recordings and Richard/Sal used them to relentlessly harass Steve.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I've said it before, but I would pay 100 bucks right now for the 2 hour recording Richard and Sal used to chop up those Langford calls. I've never laughed harder in my life. My friend and I still break out the "I'm real busy, let me call you back" line when we call each other.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Personally, I like Eric the ack ack shitcock

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a great 45 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmdR9eHTTCM

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Just in case anyone wanted to hear the clip of "Sour" pranking Langford again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDLFaDSIc-I&feature=player_detailpage#t=63

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 14, 2014

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

hunter x az posted:

You are literally the first person I have ever heard express that opinion.

I always wanted Sour to get hooked up with Billy West. I think Billy would see the potential there and would be able to kinda harness it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

gently caress this is kind of a shot in the dark but earlier this week on the Stern Sirius channel they played this old clip where Howard and some people (I think Jackie but idk) were clowning on this guys accent who I'm pretty sure was on the staff at the time. He said he went to private catholic school and they would mock him going "gathlick sgewl" and stuff like that. Did anyone else listen to that or have any idea who it might be/what the clip was?