Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Nycticeius posted:

I'd personally like to see a blu-ray version of the movie with Groot-subtitles.

I don't sub-titling everything with 'I am Groot' would be helpful to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Bifford posted:

Am I the only one who hated Ronan's makeup?

Yeah. Even in Thor 2 the bad guy was under so much prosthetic that I didn't even know it was Eccleston under there until the credits. Imagine how lovely it would have been to put Montalban/Khan under a hood and makup the entire movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I hope they release the groot pages. There are a lot of things that are obvious, but a few of them (groot's 'monologue') that would be fun to see what the screenwriter had in mind.

Are Inhumans tired up in Fantastic Four? The scene from the books with the Mad Prince and Groot having an advanced astrophysics discussion was hilarious.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are Inhumans tired up in Fantastic Four? The scene from the books with the Mad Prince and Groot having an advanced astrophysics discussion was hilarious.

They're their own franchise, and the film rights belong to Marvel. They recently had a big push for them, but nothing really came of it.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The eye makeup worked okay as a substitute for the domino mask thingy he wears but the makeup trailing down his face and chin was a little too black metal.

Dude sleeps in the blood of his enemies. That's loving metal.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They aren't and a lot of people guessed that Marvel would actually start to push them instead of the mutants since they are basically the exact same premise,even though they are used much differently in the comics. There recently was a pretty big event that seemed as if it would lead into more Inhumans int he near future, but nothing came of it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

e X posted:

They aren't and a lot of people guessed that Marvel would actually start to push them instead of the mutants since they are basically the exact same premise,even though they are used much differently in the comics. There recently was a pretty big event that seemed as if it would lead into more Inhumans int he near future, but nothing came of it.

http://collider.com/the-inhumans-movie-joe-robert-cole-script/

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

I know about the movie, I meant the comics. There was this big event, with the substance that turns humans into inhumans being released all over America, but it just kinda fizzled out.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ramulack posted:

I am seriously considering watching this in theaters a second time. I think the last time I did that was with Jurassic Park in 1994 or 3?

I went yesterday for the second time with my wife and kids (first time was date night with just the wife, we weren't sure if it'd be appropriate for the kids). Movie still owns the 2nd time around, everyone loved it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Baron Bifford posted:

The black goo was kinda bad, they should just have gone with a straight Kree look.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So given the obvious Star Wars parallels, I'm wondering: how 'lived-in' is our galaxy supposed to be? Is Xandar/the Nova Corps the center of a galactic civilization with thousands or even millions of advanced worlds out there, or is it just one small part of the galaxy that's inhabited, presumably not too far from Earth? Does Thanos control some vast empire a la the Emperor? He clearly had a reputation at least.

Also, how does Asgard factor into all this? They seem pretty cut off from everyone else, like they're in their own pocket dimension or something given how they teleport here via the Bifrost rather than using spaceships, and yet we see a couple of them visit the Collector at the end of Thor 2, so obviously they interact with the wider galaxy to some extent. Are they on the same technological level as the Nova Corps and the rest of the galaxy, or are they just seen as a bunch of backwards, isolationist idiots playing at being gods to an even more backwards world? Or are they actually super-advanced compared to the rest of the galaxy, like they're the Vorlons of this setting and everyone kind of just leaves them alone and lets them do their own thing? The Collector was pretty fawning towards them at least.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drunk in Space posted:

Also, how does Asgard factor into all this? They seem pretty cut off from everyone else, like they're in their own pocket dimension or something given how they teleport here via the Bifrost rather than using spaceships, and yet we see a couple of them visit the Collector at the end of Thor 2, so obviously they interact with the wider galaxy to some extent. Are they on the same technological level as the Nova Corps and the rest of the galaxy, or are they just seen as a bunch of backwards, isolationist idiots playing at being gods to an even more backwards world? Or are they actually super-advanced compared to the rest of the galaxy, like they're the Vorlons of this setting and everyone kind of just leaves them alone and lets them do their own thing? The Collector was pretty fawning towards them at least.

Do you remember the whole "Nine realms of Asgard" thing from Thor? Basically each "realm" is a region of space/dimension/galaxy/whatever. Everything we've seen so far takes place in the "Earth" realm (Midgard), aside from the bits in Thor with the Frost Giants (Jotunheim) and the bits with the Dark Elves (Svartalfheim), and Asgard itself (the realm of Asgard).

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, I figured they might exist in their own dimension (or 'realm' whatever), and that they were capable of travelling to other ones with the Bifrost. I guess that probably puts them on a technological tier above the Nova Corps and others in our galaxy, right? Of course, it's a bit vague exactly how much of their stuff is technological, and how much is cosmic space magic/energy or whatever.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
It's all comically oversized glowy poo poo that is exactly as effective as the plot needs it to be in that instant and all equally requires launching yourself facefirst at somebody while grimacing to operate, the different factions just give their gear distinct themed reskins like they're Counterstrike modders

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 13, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm wondering: how 'lived-in' is our galaxy supposed to be?

I think this question can be answered for the comics, but not the cinematic universe. We don't know enough yet and I'm sure they kept it purposefully vague.

Drunk in Space posted:

It's a bit vague exactly how much of their stuff is technological, and how much is cosmic space magic/energy or whatever.

In Thor at least they were really really explicit in that it's really highly advanced tech.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Godzilla is the story of one boy and his desperate search for the protagonist or maybe just anyone interesting. I didn't enjoy Godzilla: Cultural Learnings of Japan for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of America.

Godzilla wasn't a bad movie, at all. It was just really banal, and really, just very silly at the end.

When the kid from Kick-rear end gets up after being blown up or something, Godzilla is getting up at the same time, and they look at each other, and you're waiting for the high five, or the mutual nod of "let's do this poo poo".

To be honest, the movie would've been better if they'd really just stuck to the Oppenheimer trailer that blew us all away: Godzilla is something that's been unleashed, and everyone's just trying to get out of his way. Maybe it would've worked better as a World War Z (the novel, not the movie) type thing, where you see Godzilla through the eyes of different people. And they shouldn't have made Godzilla a fat rear end.

The movie we got was about good guy Godzilla trying to fight giant cockroaches, and he was totally bros with some Army dude.

Guardians of the Galaxy is getting a lot of "our Star Wars", which isn't really accurate (to me, anyway), but then, people said that about The Fifth Element, too. GotG is very, very similar to Fifth Element:

- Style over substance (for a majority of the film)
- Heroes/the population facing overwhelming, end of reality-type odds
- Character backstory is related in short conversation
- Very basic theme/story/character types
- Loud/brash characters as sidekicks
- The object(s) of desire are rare/valuable stones, but the point of the story is the bond with someone

The Fifth Element didn't really mean very much a few years after its release, but it's remained popular on cable TV, and it's a fun movie. It didn't change much about film-making or the genre. Star Wars certainly did.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Red posted:

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but how do most of these things not also relate to Star Wars?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Red posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is getting a lot of "our Star Wars", which isn't really accurate (to me, anyway), but then, people said that about The Fifth Element, too. GotG is very, very similar to Fifth Element:

- The object(s) of desire are rare/valuable stones, but the point of the story is the bond with someone

The Fifth Element didn't really mean very much a few years after its release, but it's remained popular on cable TV, and it's a fun movie. It didn't change much about film-making or the genre. Star Wars certainly did.

I guess I said this above but nobody told me I was an idiot (on this point) so I'll say it again: I think the main difference between GotG and 5th Element is that Chris Pratt manages to expand the border of what "action blockbuster hero" can be, in a new direction. Pratt's Quill is goofball silly in a way that I've never really seen before from an action movie protagonist, and he makes it work.

That's the sort of thing that turns films into classics. I ain't saying GotG is a classic -- it's definitely got some flaws, and I agree with you completely that it isn't anywhere close to the level of the original Star Wars (though it beats the pants off the prequels). I do think it's a great movie, though, not just a good movie. Looking at a list of plot elements doesn't tell that story because what makes GotG great is the performances and the embellishments and how it's just infectiously fun the whole way through. I mean, you can sum up the opening credits roll as "Chris Pratt in an Indiana Jones reference," but leave out mention of the singing space-rat microphone and you've missed everything. This isn't just Indiana Jones in space, it's Singin' in the Rain with blasters.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 13, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

e X posted:

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but how do most of these things not also relate to Star Wars?

They do, but, underneath all that stuff, Star Wars actually does have a pretty dang good story about growing up, and having aspirations and all that jazz. And that's just for Luke. Star Wars is better because of stuff like Luke's whining about joining the rebellion, and when Obi-Wan explains he should come along to Alderaan, Luke makes the excuse that he has too much work to do on a loving moisture farm.

But maybe I'm being defensive about Star Wars. What I really meant, though, is that Star Wars was the first to really do amazing stuff with special effects, sound, costumes, etc. on a grand scale, and turn out a really good movie, too. Star Wars is a pretty basic formula, greatly enhanced by effects and the actors involved. The flick broke new ground in what you could do in a serious sci-fi film.

Plus, look at what Star Wars spawned: almost immediately, you had space films, and big ones, come out to great success. Star Trek, Alien, and so forth.

Baron Bifford posted:

I thought that worked really well. It was an organic way of being faithful to the books. You see the Kree fanatics draping his body in armor and ceremonial paint. That's actually a bit more interesting than super-armored bad guy who wants to just conquer everything.

I think, if you'd gone all face/head armor for Ronan, and skipped the war paint, you'd be looking at a robot, or at least someone who can't really emote. You need to see Ronan's face when he threatens Thanos, or is dumbfounded by dancing Pete.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Star Wars was a standout historical accomplishment in ways that GOTG totally isn't when compared to contemporaries like Flash Gordon, but yeah any praise of its profound plot and writing relative to even the most mediocre of modern movies is 100% rose-tinted glasses

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

I think this question can be answered for the comics, but not the cinematic universe. We don't know enough yet and I'm sure they kept it purposefully vague.

One of the reasons I find this interesting is that up until now all the MCU films have been almost entirely Earthbound adventures (save for some parts of the Thor movies of course), and yet if the galaxy truly is a thriving Star Wars-esque setting, then presumably our world just a backward, irrelevent speck from a galactic point of view (child abduction missions and Inifinity Gem hunts notwithstanding), seeing as it doesn't even have a level of technological advancement to be connected with the galactic community as even some scummy Outer Rim backwater planet. Kind of puts all the 'epic' adventures in the previous films into a hilariously insular perspective, with the exception of Malekith I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Drunk in Space posted:

One of the reasons I find this interesting is that up until now all the MCU films have been almost entirely Earthbound adventures (save for some parts of the Thor movies of course), and yet if the galaxy truly is a thriving Star Wars-esque setting, then presumably our world just a backward, irrelevent speck from a galactic point of view (child abduction missions and Inifinity Gem hunts notwithstanding), seeing as it doesn't even have a level of technological advancement to be connected with the galactic community as even some scummy Outer Rim backwater planet. Kind of puts all the 'epic' adventures in the previous films into a hilariously insular perspective, with the exception of Malekith I guess.

I think there's some very silly workaround for this in the Marvel universe, like our planet happens to be located at the interstellar equivalent of Union Station or something.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I guess I said this above but nobody told me I was an idiot (on this point) so I'll say it again: I think the main difference between GotG and 5th Element is that Chris Pratt manages to expand the border of what "action blockbuster hero" can be, in a new direction. Pratt's Quill is goofball silly in a way that I've never really seen before from an action movie protagonist, and he makes it work.

That's the sort of thing that turns films into classics. I ain't saying GotG is a classic -- it's definitely got some flaws -- but I do think it's a great movie, not just a good movie. Looking at a list of plot elements doesn't tell that story because what makes GotG great is the performances and the embellishments and how it's just infectiously fun the whole way through. I mean, you can sum up the opening credits roll as "Chris Pratt in an Indiana Jones reference," but leave out mention of the singing space-rat microphone and you've missed everything. This isn't just Indiana Jones in space, it's Singin' in the Rain with blasters.

I'll think about this.

Is Peter Quill a reluctant hero? Or is he an anti-hero? Or, just someone with a unique character arc?

There are definitely films with wise-cracking heroes who don't take themselves seriously (Tango & Cash? Maybe Axel Foley?), heroes who grow into the role (The Rocketeer), and heroes who turn over from dirtbag into hero (Han Solo).

Peter Quill is basically a thief with a heart of gold, who decides, at the end of the film, that they can go gamble or loot Ronan's summer home or something. He's good, but still hanging on to the ability to line his pockets when needed, even if just for fun. And he's a likable, funny guy. That's not far off from Han Solo, except for the space-rat mike.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm not sure Quill's brand new ground, either.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Star Wars was a standout historical accomplishment in ways that GOTG totally isn't when compared to contemporaries like Flash Gordon, but yeah any praise of its profound plot and writing relative to even the most mediocre of modern movies is 100% rose-tinted glasses

There aren't any metrics to prove or disprove this, really, but I disagree. Star Wars is actually written pretty well. You actually really give a poo poo about the characters, as opposed to the prequels.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm going to second Star Wars' writing/story being overrated. Maybe I just didn't watch them at the right age or something but the whole trilogy just seemed like a simplistic children's story.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I don't think there is anything more obnoxious than when someone calls an almost universally beloved and praised piece of art "overrated." It's so goddamn pretentious and condescending. Yeah, bro, you're the only one who gets it and you are a unique snowflake high above the rabble. Star Wars isn't beloved because it is a complex story or profound meditation on the human experience. It's beloved because it's loving fun and exciting. The same reason GotG is getting so much praise.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

rear end Catchcum posted:

wait what in the gently caress some of you actually liked Godzilla nevermind ranking it over Guardians nevermind saying it's the best sci-fi movie of the summer?

are you for loving real? The whole movie was about a dude missing his flight. the villains looked as lovely as the Broderick Godzilla did. it was such a cold and heartless movie, whereas GotG ooooozzzzzeeeeed heart and goodtimes. y'all are INSANE.

Actually yeah, I'm with this guy. Godzilla had about 20 minutes of kickass fight scenes and the rest was kind of boring. Breaking Bad dude chewed scenery like a boss, but couldn't carry the rest of the actors. Godzilla is sci-fi, but in every other respect doesn't belong in the same category as GotG.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Red posted:

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm not sure Quill's brand new ground, either.

Where I think he's "new ground" is in how outright silly he's willing to be. Things like the Jackson Pollock joke or the dance-off or the space-rat mic. He's brilliantly juvenile. Han Solo was always, on some level, trying to look cool. Quill isn't, at all; he's abandoned cool in favor of funny.

I think this is the root of why people are comparing Pratt to Indiana Jones -- Indiana Jones was the first "action hero" to have a sensitive silly side, to obviously get hurt, to show fear, etc. -- shooting the swordsman, "Why did it have to be snakes," etc. Pratt's taking that to the next level.

MortonTheCranium
Nov 25, 2004

We're cousins. (bros)
Maybe that's why people compare GotG to Star Wars: because it's fun and exciting.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

MortonTheCranium posted:

Maybe that's why people compare GotG to Star Wars: because it's fun and exciting.

I would also say they are both more accurately defined as fantasy adventure movies in space than science fiction.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Star Wars was a lot more consistent with its theme though. Like the whole growing up thing is present throughout A New Hope. A whiny teen meets a guy who his (adoptive) parents say to stay away from but he doesn't listen and when he comes back he realizes he can't go home again. Then he meets scoundrels (Han et all), goes up against authority (the government/Empire), meets women (Leia; "A kiss for luck"), and steadily matures throughout the whole film.

Guardians has a *theme* of family in general but it's not really as tightly knit. For example, Drax lost his wife and child. Because of this, you could have him be a father figure to Quill and Gamora (both who have daddy issues), and have him realize that he's found a new family to love. Instead he's sort of that crazy uncle you know that loves his family but still goes off on his own doing weird stuff.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This was a cool movie I enjoyed but for some weird reason it made me want to watch Chronicles of Riddick.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Where I think he's "new ground" is in how outright silly he's willing to be. Things like the Jackson Pollock joke or the dance-off or the space-rat mic. He's brilliantly juvenile. Han Solo was always, on some level, trying to look cool. Quill isn't, at all; he's abandoned cool in favor of funny.
Quick pedantic squabble - Pratt is abandoning cool in favor of funny. Quill wants nothing more in life than to be cool.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I think this is the root of why people are comparing Pratt to Indiana Jones -- Indiana Jones was the first "action hero" to have a sensitive silly side, to obviously get hurt, to show fear, etc. -- shooting the swordsman, "Why did it have to be snakes," etc. Pratt's taking that to the next level.

Okay, I like that take on the character type.

But Tom Hanks did it first in Bachelor Party. :haw:

But seriously, I do like that thinking. And I'm glad you reminded me of Indy. It makes me think of when Leslie Nielsen first started out in film, and he did the generic big-chinned hero in straight films. Once he became a comic actor, the serious hero thing just seems so fake. I can't imagine Indy as an unbeatable tough guy, and I'm glad Quill is written as a loser juvenile hero.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

hemale in pain posted:

This was a cool movie I enjoyed but for some weird reason it made me want to watch Chronicles of Riddick.

Gateway cool fun movie

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Awesome movie, and I never expected a Footloose reference to accurately foreshadow the final battle.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

hemale in pain posted:

Space death cult dudes and the fact that Drax basically is Riddick in many ways.

How many movies have space death cult style armies anyway? This did, Riddick, Lexx, does this come from some common earlier reference or what?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

Space death cult dudes and the fact that Drax basically is Riddick in many ways.

How many movies have space death cult style armies anyway? This did, Riddick, Lexx, does this come from some common earlier reference or what?

Star Wars, Sith maybe?

Then again, space is the logical hang-out for death cults. There they can be one with the void, man :350:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
In TYOOL 2014 I'd probably watch Guardians of the Galaxy three times in a row over watching the Star Wars OT :shrug:

Filthy Casual posted:

Awesome movie, and I never expected a Footloose reference to accurately foreshadow the final battle.

He saved a planet full of people with sticks up their butts through the power of dance :unsmith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Filthy Casual posted:

The only way it could have been better is if John Lithgow played Thanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Star Wars, Sith maybe?

Then again, space is the logical hang-out for death cults. There they can be one with the void, man :350:

Warhammer has influenced a lot of stuff, they had space necro stuff as early as the 80s though I couldn't tell you exactly when it started. Those undead armies were probably, in turn, influenced by all the crazy british sci-fi comics, not to mention Dune.

• Locked thread