Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

People do fine with Baytrail Atoms and half the RAM, I don't see why an i3 would have a problem with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So nobody is gonna fight for the Note?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

an skeleton posted:

So nobody is gonna fight for the Note?

Nah.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

I'm starting to think of just looking more long-term and thinking of the surface pro i5, 8gb edition as an "upgrade" to my current ultrabook.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So I'm pretty much set on the i5 4gb version. I would get the 8gb version, but I'm not sure I am $270 in need of the extra ram and space for my purposes of note-taking, reading, light development, web browsing, video watching, and MAYBE a lightweight Linux VM/graphics-light gaming. If anyone hates the surface pro for some reason, speak now or forever hold your peace

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That's the version I have, and I got it for pretty much the same reasons you did (but my old laptop was down to like two hours of battery life :v:) and it's been pretty great so far. It did give me a low on memory warning once when playing Civ V towards the end of the game but I think that's the only time. Haven't gotten to use it in a university setting yet though.

We have a Windows 8.1 tablets thread if you'd like to do some more grilling; one thing that's been brought up is that the kickstand by virtue of its design won't be as good on the lap as a traditional clamshell laptop, depending on how long your legs are. It works perfectly fine for me, but everyone's different. The pen holder is just a stick on thing to the keyboard that probably won't hold up (but the pen does magnetically hold to the charging port for a bit which works as a temporary thing before it goes in your bag at the end of the day). Some people don't like the feel of the keyboard although I like it more than chiclet keys because I'm broken inside I guess. And the trackpad isn't as good as on a MacBook though adequate.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I have a lovely old Asus transformer 101 or whatever the first one was. What should I buy if I want as close to that as possible/are there any releases coming that I should wait for?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What's the best tablet for cheap these days if the main use is e-reading but the only available book format is .pdf?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

What's the best tablet for cheap these days if the main use is e-reading but the only available book format is .pdf?

I have the same question, also going to bw using the awful app, and google chrome for some browsing, little instagram and probably my girls pinterest.

2013 n7?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Meh.com has a Galaxy Tab 3 (refurbished) for $90 today. Pretty good deal for a year old tablet.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Medullah posted:

Meh.com has a Galaxy Tab 3 (refurbished) for $90 today. Pretty good deal for a year old tablet.

It really isn't. 1024x600 display and slow. 2013 Nexus 7 models have been going for $120-150 used/refurbished/new(?) and is a much much better deal. First review I checked said the 2012 Nexus 7 had noticeably better performance and display, too, if you really want something that cheap.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 2, 2014

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I still have a 2012 N7 and I can't decide if I want to get a 2013 N7 for cheap or wait for the 2014 Nexus tablet (Nexus 8?) or save up and get an iPad Mini Retina. What's recommended at the moment?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 5, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spasticColon posted:

I still have a 2012 N7 and I can't decide if I want to get a 2013 N7 for cheap or wait for the 2014 Nexus tablet (Nexus 8?) or save up and get an iPad Mini Retina.

Cool.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Save up and get a refreshed iPad Mini Retina when they're released sometime in October/November.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ok, so I want to buy a tablet in a week or so, and I my limit is an arguable $300. I'm getting in to game development, so I need something I can push code to. I'm also in the market for a phone though, so I was wondering if there was a tablet I could use as a phone, or would it be better me just getting a cheaper tablet and a crappy phone. I was looking at the Nexus 7 with 4G but I was wondering how that would work, telecommunication-wise anyways. Also are there any compiler apps for tablets? Just to mess around with code?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 6, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Short of using VoiP apps, you can't really use tablets as phones.

Coding on a tablet sounds like a nightmare, though. Get a laptop.

For $300 assuming no subsidies, you can get a Moto G and a refurbished Nexus 7 which are both really good options.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

For $300 assuming no subsidies, you can get a Moto G and a refurbished Nexus 7 which are both really good options.

If you have your number on google voice hangouts on the iPad will actually make and receive calls pretty well as long as you have a decent data connection. I still wouldn't recommend it convenience and operation wise, but there ya go. I do find it sad ther hangouts on my iPad gets features up dated quicker than hangouts on my N7.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Yea, I was thinking someone may have made like a keyboard dependent compiler app or something.

But good call on the Moto G and Nexus 7, found a Verizon MotoG for $99.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't buy the Verizon one. It doesn't have LTE so its data speeds are abysmal.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Don't buy the Verizon one. It doesn't have LTE so its data speeds are abysmal.

I live in the East Bay, so 4g is garbage in this area. Does this matter? I hated paying for something I wasn't going to use. And Verizon looked like the only place that allowed the Moto G or is the only thing that matters the GMS/CDMA for prepaid plans?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The GSM Moto G works on AT&T and T-Mobile and any prepaid carriers running on their networks. Their 3G is VASTLY better than Verizon's, which is to say it's actually usable. You do have to spend a bit more for the phone, admittedly.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
What would you guys recommend as a good tablet to use for promotional purposes? I have a small business that I run on the side, and when I attend promotional events and festivals, I'd like to just be able to show my website and maybe my Amazon store/reviews. Nothing fancy, just something with a decent enough screen and is also cheap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

District Selectman posted:

What would you guys recommend as a good tablet to use for promotional purposes? I have a small business that I run on the side, and when I attend promotional events and festivals, I'd like to just be able to show my website and maybe my Amazon store/reviews. Nothing fancy, just something with a decent enough screen and is also cheap.

Nexus 7 assuming the screen is big enough for what you are looking for.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I have a lovely old Asus transformer 101 or whatever the first one was. What should I buy if I want as close to that as possible/are there any releases coming that I should wait for?

I was in here a few weeks ago asking the exact same thing (TF101 and all), and got these two responses:

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can get an ASUS Transformer T100 for pretty cheap. Same form factor, included keyboard dock and full Windows 8.1 (if you're into that sort of thing)

Newegg has a refurbished one, without Office Home & Student 2013, for $229.99 after $50 rebate card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-231-730#14037870788011&%7B%22sso%22:%22false%22%7D

waffle posted:

Well if you like that tablet there's no reason to change to windows or a non-clamshell tablet. Asus has released newer versions of your tablet--their naming conventions are absurdly confusing but I think the most recent ones are the TF103 and the TF303.

Personally I'm leaning towards a Windows tablet like the T100 but I'm still saving up money and not in dire need of upgrading. I might even splurge on a Surface if I do a good job saving.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I am considering a few different tablets. My main concern is multibooting. I want a windows tablet that has the needed hardware to boot the many flavors of Linux that i enjoy while having the power to load a VM of android while in either OS.

I will track down a few options later today and post them up for everyone to hate all over.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bigfabdaddy posted:

I am considering a few different tablets. My main concern is multibooting. I want a windows tablet that has the needed hardware to boot the many flavors of Linux that i enjoy while having the power to load a VM of android while in either OS.

I will track down a few options later today and post them up for everyone to hate all over.

MacBook Air?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bigfabdaddy posted:

Linux tablet support is not the best, from what I understand. You'd probably be best off talking to the Windows 8 Tablet thread, since they'll have a better handle on your specific needs.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Duckman2008 posted:

MacBook Air?

I plan to get that this fall for travel with school and such. Just have to work out a few kinks with a mac uploading nightly to my Unix file server for backup.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Endless Mike posted:

Linux tablet support is not the best, from what I understand. You'd probably be best off talking to the Windows 8 Tablet thread, since they'll have a better handle on your specific needs.

I'm not that worried about "support" for it I plan to piece a build together on my own to fit the needs that I have. I will have a look in the windows tablet thread. Didn't see that one thanks for the heads up.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm new to tablets in general, but I could use some advice.

I'm a poor college student
I'd like to use it as a laptop replacement for in-class note taking
It'd need about ~6 hours of activity per day
I'd need it to be pretty cheap, or sometimes cheap due to deals or what have you
Fun is for the weak

So what kind of tablet would be good? I'm thinking either a Nexus 7 or one of the many Notes. Advice?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T-man posted:

I'd need it to be pretty cheap, or sometimes cheap due to deals or what have you
Fun is for the weak

So what kind of tablet would be good? I'm thinking either a Nexus 7 or one of the many Notes. Advice?

Nexus 7 is probably the only good one in your price range. For basic note taking its OK, but don't expect it to handle everything as well as a laptop.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

T-man posted:

Fun is for the weak

Depending on what you mean by notetaking you might also want to check out the Tegra Note 7. It has a worse screen than the Nexus 7 and is bulkier and a bit heavier, but it does have a stylus that I think works pretty well. It's right around the same price as the N7 too. It is significantly faster than the N7 but it doesn't sound like that will matter to you.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
I'm going on a trip in October and I'd like to read some comics on the bus. I've always built my own computer and never had much need for laptops/tablets but I figured it would be nice to have one.

I've been eyeballing the 4th gen ipad as I can get a refurb for $299. I'm also interested because I liked the idea of being able to play Hearthstone on it as well.

Is there a cheaper/better performing tablet for the same price I should be looking at? Again, I'm not living off of this, just using it for some comic reading, a single game and probably taking notes in office meetings sometimes.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

T-man posted:

There's no way you will be able to mash a screen quick/accurately enough to keep up with a lecture so get one with a proper stylus at least.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CaptainAssholay posted:

I'm going on a trip in October and I'd like to read some comics on the bus. I've always built my own computer and never had much need for laptops/tablets but I figured it would be nice to have one.

I've been eyeballing the 4th gen ipad as I can get a refurb for $299. I'm also interested because I liked the idea of being able to play Hearthstone on it as well.

Is there a cheaper/better performing tablet for the same price I should be looking at? Again, I'm not living off of this, just using it for some comic reading, a single game and probably taking notes in office meetings sometimes.

The 4th gen is great and that's a good price but the Air is extra awesome and sometimes can be had for not much more than that. This deal might still be active, for example: http://slickdeals.net/f/7145154-16gb-32gb-apple-ipad-air-9-7-wifi-tablet-w-retina-display-60-75-rakuten-cash-399-99-499-99-free-shipping?v=1

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Does anyone have experience with aNvidia Shild Tablet?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I'm thinking about getting a tablet for textbooks and various technical pdf. I was thinking at least a 10 inch screen but unsure what resolutions I should be looking at so they look decent. Any recommendations from others that have used a tablet for textbooks?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Apocadall posted:

I'm thinking about getting a tablet for textbooks and various technical pdf. I was thinking at least a 10 inch screen but unsure what resolutions I should be looking at so they look decent. Any recommendations from others that have used a tablet for textbooks?

High resolution, greater than 1920x1080. The iPad's aspect ratio is nicer than most Android tablets for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XenJ posted:

Does anyone have experience with aNvidia Shild Tablet?

I would avoid it. I can't see its software or hardware being better than the Nexus 7, especially with price factored in, and a 8" screen isn't even that much bigger.

If you want games, that is one category the iPad still kills any Android tablet in. Instead of $300 there, look for an iPad Air on some kind of good sale (or if you want to invest more, wait for the new one to launch and get that).