Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tenzarin posted:

I haven't watched any kind of mecha series since the end of 00 Gundam, recommend me something with robot fighting.

Well they've started releasing the original Mazinger Z series here in the states, so I'd recommend that(or Captain Earth if you want something more recent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Kanos posted:

There's some very specific shots fired, but everything in the show is 100% coherent and incredibly good without even knowing what SEED is in the first place.

People really overplay how big the "GunxSword craps on SEED!" thing is every time the series is brought up.

This is actually the first I've heard it. What the deal is?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

HitTheTargets posted:

This is actually the first I've heard it. What the deal is?

There is a specific antagonist character in GunxSword who is a very clear riff on Kira from SEED, down to his mech doing Freedom poses, sharing the same voice actor, and espousing a similar ideology. That's about the long and short of it.

drrockso20 posted:

Well they've started releasing the original Mazinger Z series here in the states, so I'd recommend that(or Captain Earth if you want something more recent)

Friends don't let friends watch Captain Earth. The robot designs are rad as gently caress but the show's writing and plot are an enormous terrible trainwreck of rear end and the robots don't really get to do much besides stock footage combinations and still shots.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 13, 2014

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

There is a specific antagonist character in GunxSword who is a very clear riff on Kira from SEED, down to his mech doing Freedom poses, sharing the same voice actor, and espousing a similar ideology. That's about the long and short of it.
Ray's speech in Volkein/Vulcans last fight always struck a chord too, bad guy invoking "you only live for vengeance, we live to protect and those who protect are always stronger!" and all that.

And then there's all the talk about forcing peace on the world on grounds of "our saintly leader who can do no wrong says so, and we have the biggest guns". Its not laid on as thick as some people make it out to be but its very much there.

Artum fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 13, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I haven't watched any kind of mecha series since the end of 00 Gundam, recommend me something with robot fighting.

Depending on the other Gundam series you've watched, Gundam Build Fighters, otherwise New Getter Robo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

drrockso20 posted:

Well they've started releasing the original Mazinger Z series here in the states,

This is the first I've heard of this. Are the subs coherent?

Kanos posted:

Friends don't let friends watch Captain Earth.

--but, but, the mecha designs are rad as gently caress!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

No idea about sub quality, it's Discotek so it's probably not bad. They've also acquired the rights to Shin Mazinger Z and will sell it sometime next year.

http://www.discotekmedia.com/

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Schwarzwald posted:

--but, but, the mecha designs are rad as gently caress!

I'm only a couple of episodes in but overall the subs seem pretty good, also the show has been surprisingly realistic in one particular regard, Kouji in the first couple of episodes is an absolutely horrid pilot with no idea how to do anything with Mazinger(in stark comparison to Sayaka who's actually pretty skilled at piloting Aphrodite A), indeed I can't think of a main character in a Mecha series who starts off as a worse pilot than Toei Kouji(although I'm probably forgetting someone)

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I'm only a couple of episodes in but overall the subs seem pretty good, also the show has been surprisingly realistic in one particular regard, Kouji in the first couple of episodes is an absolutely horrid pilot with no idea how to do anything with Mazinger(in stark comparison to Sayaka who's actually pretty skilled at piloting Aphrodite A), indeed I can't think of a main character in a Mecha series who starts off as a worse pilot than Toei Kouji(although I'm probably forgetting someone)

Lelouch? Shinji maybe?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Broken Loose posted:

Gear Fighter Dendoh.

Are there complete subs for it? I don't think it ever got licensed in the US.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Crummelhorn posted:

Lelouch? Shinji maybe?

Lelouch is never a particularly good pilot. His reflexes are above average, but he always either wins through brute strength of his machines and tactics.

The Gundam Meisters never really improve as pilots until Season 2 of 00, relying almost entirely on Veda and the overwhelming power of the Gundams. That much is made clear when the Federation gets their hands on GN tech and romps Celestial Being.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Crummelhorn posted:

Lelouch? Shinji maybe?

Shinji gets the hang of it fairly quickly. Kouji, on the other hand, spends like four episodes winning battles by pressing random buttons and not knowing how to stop Mazinger from moving. It seriously rules.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TARDISman posted:

Lelouch is never a particularly good pilot. His reflexes are above average, but he always either wins through brute strength of his machines and tactics.

The Gundam Meisters never really improve as pilots until Season 2 of 00, relying almost entirely on Veda and the overwhelming power of the Gundams. That much is made clear when the Federation gets their hands on GN tech and romps Celestial Being.

The only Gundam Meisters who really show technical skill at any point by successfully besting opponents in relatively even and/or disadvantaged fights are Lockon(both original and new recipe) and Allelujah when both personalities are active. Setsuna pretty much sucks all the way through and leans entirely on his machine in all of its various iterations and Tieria is basically a glorified artillery piece.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

The only Gundam Meisters who really show technical skill at any point by successfully besting opponents in relatively even and/or disadvantaged fights are Lockon(both original and new recipe) and Allelujah when both personalities are active. Setsuna pretty much sucks all the way through and leans entirely on his machine in all of its various iterations and Tieria is basically a glorified artillery piece.

Setsuna fights ribbons to a draw which is a hell of an accomplishment. Tieria is terrible as a pilot though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Setsuna fights ribbons to a draw which is a hell of an accomplishment. Tieria is terrible as a pilot though.

The 00 was drastically superior to the Reborns and the Exia was drastically superior to the 0 Gundam.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

The 00 was drastically superior to the Reborns and the Exia was drastically superior to the 0 Gundam.

The 0 over the Exia is obvious but the Reborns and the 00 both had a twin drive system and transam. But the Reborns also had the fangs and the cannon mode, the only thing the 00 had was the original drives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The 0 over the Exia is obvious but the Reborns and the 00 both had a twin drive system and transam. But the Reborns also had the fangs and the cannon mode, the only thing the 00 had was the original drives.

Yes, but the original drives literally allow you to teleport and are generally superior in all ways.

The Flag fight in the movie is the only time Setsuna has been at a disadvantage robot-wise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, but the original drives literally allow you to teleport and are generally superior in all ways.

The Flag fight in the movie is the only time Setsuna has been at a disadvantage robot-wise.

If Setsuna was as unskilled as Kanos claimed he would've died in the final battle original reactors or not. Setsuna grew immeasurably as a pilot throughout seasons one and two.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

If Setsuna was as unskilled as Kanos claimed he would've died in the final battle original reactors or not. Setsuna grew immeasurably as a pilot throughout seasons one and two.

It is an explicit plot point that the Tau Drive transam/twin drive are massively, incredibly inferior to the original drives in every regard. That's why Ribbons shits his pants the first time he sees the 00 teleport, because he doesn't understand how it's possible.

The 00 Raiser is basically a nearly unstoppable bull in a china shop that can phase out of existence, teleport at will, fart rainbow understanding waves, and shoot beams big enough to blow up colony lasers. Setsuna grew as a pilot insofar as he was able to stop getting dunked on for free by people he should be burying without effort, but he never really became an ace pilot on the level of basically any named antagonist in the show because he was pretty much always fighting at a huge advantage.

Look what happened the two times he actually fought at a disadvantage(Exia Repair and the Flag fight in the movie); he barely survived.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Setsuna 'won' in that he got outfought and while Ribbons took serious damage he also took Setsuna's GN Drive. Like seriously, Setsuna doesn't 'win' there. Ribbons is about to blast him with the GN Fang, Setsuna teleports behind Ribbons and cuts into Ribbon's suit, Ribbon's responds by cutting off Setsuna's arm (including stupidly placed GN Drive) and running off with it.

That's the problem. If Setsuna's a good pilot he almost never gets a chance to show it. He almost always outclasses his opponents and even then he ends up getting wrecked a lot. I don't think anyone wants to see him Kira Yamato Flawless Victorying it up but the guy never really gets a good showing that makes you feel like it is Setsuna and not the Exia/00 that is carrying the day.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 14, 2014

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Go Nagai is penning a Grendizer reboot manga.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Go Nagai has personally decided to given us the Shin Mazinger sequel we never saw coming.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Italians and Arabs will be thrilled.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not even Italian but their Grendizer OP is hella rad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jANO2-6IM9E

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The reboot's Spazer reminds me a lot of Gattaiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoxZndZQW3A

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm not even Italian but their Grendizer OP is hella rad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jANO2-6IM9E

Italian openings are always rad, just look at Tiger Mask or Daitarn.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So I decided to marathon the Mazinger remake over the weekend for whatever reason and I really enjoyed it. It was the first mech anime in ages that hooked me enough that I couldn't stop until I finished. Then the ending happened which was an amazing fight and a triple cross I didn't see coming. Then poo poo really starting popping off after what you though was the main bad guy was dead then credits. So I go to wiki to find the title for the next series name only to find out it's never been made :negative:

It's been a while since a deadend cliffhanger got me though I probably would have seen it coming if I knew more about mazinger than what I could gleam from SRW.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

DrManiac posted:

So I go to wiki to find the title for the next series name only to find out it's never been made :negative:

Now you too can truly understand how we know that there is a god and that he hates us on a very deep personal level.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DrManiac posted:

So I go to wiki to find the title for the next series name only to find out it's never been made :negative:

It's the Yasuhiro Imagawa experience!

:suicide:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

It's the Yasuhiro Imagawa experience!

:suicide:

Hey he finished G Gundam.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
And Tetsujin!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shin Great Mazinger being a thing would make me so drat happy.

It is a great loss that it never happened and Shin Mazinger ended up inconclusive, like GaoGaiGar's sequel that never happened (GaoGaiGo, was it?)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At least in that particular case Gaogaigar FINAL gave it a pretty nice sendoff.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shin Great Mazinger being a thing would make me so drat happy.

It is a great loss that it never happened and Shin Mazinger ended up inconclusive, like GaoGaiGar's sequel that never happened (GaoGaiGo, was it?)

The GaoGaiGar sequel would have been a cross over with Betterman.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Srice posted:

At least in that particular case Gaogaigar FINAL gave it a pretty nice sendoff.

The GGG team is stuck on an alternate dimension, possibly forever, with only Mamoru and Kaido returning to Earth.

I mean, yes, it is conclusive, but I can't call it nice. If anything it is an incredibly depressing ending.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Imagawa usually takes multi-year breaks between directing duties. For instance, after Shin Mazinger he used his time to start a new G Gundam manga that nobody is translating for some reason.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Imagawa usually takes multi-year breaks between directing duties. For instance, after Shin Mazinger he used his time to start a new G Gundam manga that nobody is translating for some reason.

They really should translate it because Chibodee gets a new Gundam with revolver shoulders and a cowboy hat.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Televisio Frankus posted:

They really should translate it because Chibodee gets a new Gundam with revolver shoulders and a cowboy hat.

Doesn't Allenby's get an upgrade that makes it into Super Sailor Moon or whatever?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

My phone apparently lost it's goddamn mind. Apologies.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

The GGG team is stuck on an alternate dimension, possibly forever, with only Mamoru and Kaido returning to Earth.

I mean, yes, it is conclusive, but I can't call it nice. If anything it is an incredibly depressing ending.

With the last of their resources, the Gutsy Galaxy Guard ensures that, while they may be forever trapped in an endless empty expanse, they at least won't have to deal with Mamoru any longer.

• Locked thread