Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

More importantly, though, there's a bit later on in that episode where the Doctor calls “a mystery wrapped in an enigma squeezed into a skirt that’s just a little too tight" and then gets this derpy grin on his face.

That's got to be a contender for "worst line ever uttered by the Doctor", I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm confident the upcoming episodes will have something to blow that out of the running.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

vegetables posted:

That's got to be a contender for "worst line ever uttered by the Doctor", I think.

Eh, I've made my peace with it. I think he was in love with the mystery he'd built up in his head and got caught up in the excitement of it all. If he actually knew what was up with her and was actually engaged in a stable linear relationship (like with Rose) he would find it boring (or at least I hope the writers agree with that.)

Dya think 12 will still hold a candle for Clara? I'd get annoyed if the whole plot line was totally and completely dropped since that doesn't seem realistic. (If you can suddenly shut down romantic feelings for someone, please send notice back in time to my high school self.) That said, I also REALLY don't want sad eyed Capaldi mooning for Coleman while Gold's dramatic music swells.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 23, 2014

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
My brain must have edited that scene out, that line is such a stinker v:shobon:v

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Xibanya posted:

Eh, I've made my peace with it. I think he was in love with the mystery he'd built up in his head and got caught up in the excitement of it all. If he actually knew what was up with her and was actually engaged in a stable linear relationship (like with Rose) he would find it boring (or at least I hope the writers agree with that.)

Dya think 12 will still hold a candle for Clara? I'd get annoyed if the whole plot line was totally and completely dropped since that doesn't seem realistic. (If you can suddenly shut down romantic feelings for someone, please send notice back in time to my high school self.) That said, I also REALLY don't want sad eyed Capaldi mooning for Coleman while Gold's dramatic music swells.

The other part of the quote from Moffat:

"From a Doctor she could sort of control, because he had a crush on her, she's landed with a Doctor who barely registers that she's a girl."

Looks like he's gonna move away from the crush stuff.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Senator Giroux posted:

Looks like he's gonna move away from the crush stuff.

I wish I could be as optermistic as you but Robots of Sherwood is basically a dick measuring episode with Clara caught in the middle and at the end of Time Heist the script implies that the Doctor has started competing cwith Danny for her affections.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Those poor souls in the other thread, getting all hyped up and excited.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, good for them. I hope they enjoy it as much as they think they will.

That's be great.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

That's be great.

Ditto. As much as I dislike the scripts and leaked episode I have no problem with anyone enjoying them, even if I'll struggle to understand why.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Burkion posted:

That's be great.

Well sure there will be a few idiots who just enjoy awful poo poo, like that one poster who said the Master playing that song was the most iconic moment in Doctor Who.

But I think most are just not expecting the writing to be as bad as it is, or they are expecting Capaldi to be some kind of miracle worker.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Minus the retarded Gatiss episode, I actually really enjoyed the scripts/episode for the most part. The only truly awful parts of Deep Breath were the Paternosters, but that was expected.

I honestly don't get the hate so far, and this is from someone who disliked most of last season.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Couple of choice interview quotes from Capaldi in the Sunday Times magazine.

quote:

There is a conflict among fans, but I'm trying to get the Mondasians back.

quote:

There'll be no flirting, that's for sure. It's not what this Doctor's concerned with. It's quite a fun relationship, but no, I did call and say 'I want no Papa-Nicole moments.' I think there was a bit of tension with that at first, but I was absolutely adamant.

quote:

One thing the show does well is balance the epic and the domestic. You can go from the edge of the universe to a pedestrian precinct. This Doctor loves watching stars being born in Andromeda; he's also thrilled to see litter blowing across the supermarket car park at dawn.

quote:

Magician look? I think it's quite a hard look. I always wanted him to be in black - I always just saw the Doctor in dark colours. Not tweed. Matt's a really young cool guy - he can wear anything, but I wanted to strip it back and be very stark.

quote:

We still blow a lot of poo poo up. That's very important, but it's going to be a bit different from what we've seen over recent years. A bit more gravity. Some situations are more sombre and I think there are more rooted dramatic scnes. Over th past two or three years, which I've loved, there has often been a breathless vigour; we still have that attack, but we have another level of drama, another tone. And the the scenes are longer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Unfortunately none of the awesome musings he has there come across in the episodes themselves.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's the other half of being a professional actor. The first half is being good on-screen. The other half is knowing how to make even the worst projects sound amazing.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The Sunday Times posted:

Mark Gatiss, the best writer on the show

lmao

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So the second episode workprint finally leaked, Into The Dalek.

It's loving fantastic. Like, I was legit afraid it was going to be another Victory of the Daleks, but oh my god is it good. This is what happens when you have a seasoned screenwriter coupled with an acclaimed film director. Knocked it out of the goddamn park, even with the lovely temp CGI.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

HD DAD posted:

So the second episode workprint finally leaked, Into The Dalek.

It's loving fantastic. Like, I was legit afraid it was going to be another Victory of the Daleks, but oh my god is it good. This is what happens when you have a seasoned screenwriter coupled with an acclaimed film director. Knocked it out of the goddamn park, even with the lovely temp CGI.

wait, they make the good-bad Dalek, Doctor would make a good Dalek bullshit work?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yep. Like, this could have VERY EASILY been a shitfest, but lo and behold some talented people were in charge here.

e: the Doctor-Dalek mind meld managed to be somehow heartbreaking. That was unexpected.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 12, 2014

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm not usually one to second something but...loving second. Just watched it and I finally feel really really great about this season's chances for excellent Who. I'm all for anything I can get, but this episode was loving perfect.

When Rusty was leaving and he kept looking back I actually choked up a bit. Also Danny was just Rory enough without being so Rory that I felt like it was a copy.

Finally, Journey's ending sucked. The Doctor has taken on people guilty of far more than just being a soldier, plus she didn't follow orders and blow poo poo up. FFS, the Brig was a soldier.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Stairs posted:

I'm not usually one to second something but...loving second. Just watched it and I finally feel really really great about this season's chances for excellent Who. I'm all for anything I can get, but this episode was loving perfect.

When Rusty was leaving and he kept looking back I actually choked up a bit. Also Danny was just Rory enough without being so Rory that I felt like it was a copy.

Finally, Journey's ending sucked. The Doctor has taken on people guilty of far more than just being a soldier, plus she didn't follow orders and blow poo poo up. FFS, the Brig was a soldier.

Hey remember that the new Doctor is 'the man who never would' where the old doctor happily gunned down and blew up people. I am exaggerating, but that weird pseudo pacifist thing they did with him in the new series is really one of the more grating things I dislike about the reboot as a whole. why did the Doctor needed to be Space Jesus.

Anyway, with two positive reaction, I might just going to check this out.

e X fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 13, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

e X posted:

Hey remember that the new Doctor is 'the man who never would' where the old doctor happily gunned down and blew up people.

That's not quite true. The Doctor's characterisation varies between regenerations and writers but in general he was something of a pacifist, and even when he did use "guns" it was very very rarely against "people" - it was using some specific device that tied into the weaknesses of the aliens he was facing. The solar lamps against the Ice Warriors, the Emotion gun against the Cybermen, whatever the gently caress worked against the Daleks.

The Man Who Never Would stuff was really really stupid but you can see the pacifist element to his character in loads of stories, The Silurians being an obvious example.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The ninth Doctor run explained it well.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

e X posted:

Hey remember that the new Doctor is 'the man who never would' where the old doctor happily gunned down and blew up people. I am exaggerating, but that weird pseudo pacifist thing they did with him in the new series is really one of the more grating things I dislike about the reboot as a whole. why did the Doctor needed to be Space Jesus.

He isn't Space Jesus, despite what RTD might try to imply. He is the Man who Regrets. Since the revival has the Doctor right off the heels of a war where he lost his home and his race, I can see him trying to take a more pacifistic way to try to compensate. The whole Man Who Never Would seems more like Ten's Bravado and trying to be the moral authority.

Anyway, saw episode 2. Capaldi is going to be a fun Doctor.

She's my carer. She cares so I don't have to.

:getin:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Matt Smith clicked his fingers to open the TARDIS door, Capaldi just kicks it open.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wow 12 just doesn't care anymore.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Nah, the Tardis just likes a bit of the rough.

kant
May 12, 2003
Much better than the first episode.

Akalies
May 31, 2000
Yeah, this second episode surprisingly renewed my enthusiasm for this season. It's so odd how stark the difference is between Capaldi's first and second episodes. Deep Breath really feels like a Matt Smith episode with Capaldi's debut shoehorned in, where as the second one gives him a surprising amount of depth and voice and pulls off a fairly terrible sounding concept with a great deal of grace.

Capaldi feels very much like a surgeon here as opposed to Smith's romantic and Tennant's cavalier Doctors - both of which got a real retread in that first episode.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

That's the other half of being a professional actor. The first half is being good on-screen. The other half is knowing how to make even the worst projects sound amazing.

Well on that level, at least, Capaldi is killing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thepokey posted:

Matt Smith clicked his fingers to open the TARDIS door, Capaldi just kicks it open.

This is the stuff my dreams are made of.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Capaldi is so loving good.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

thepokey posted:

Vastra has a loving remote key to close her carriage door :downs:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
God drat, you all weren't kidding. I expected to hate those after reading the script but Capaldi's making it work.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Shadoer posted:

My personal review of all 5 of the scripts

Episode 2: 0/5 Rating

Summary:
The Doctor is shrunk in size along with Clara and a team of expendable humans. Their mission is to go and repair a Dalek who's good and damaged. They succeed, but the repairs make the Dalek evil again. The Doctor then manages to make the Dalek good again, and the Dalek goes off to kill a bunch of Daleks. Oh and apparently the entire Galaxy, possibly the universe, is fighting a massive Dalek invasion that threatens to destroy all creation but the threat of a new Dalek Empire and the Doctor doing something about it doesn't seem to come into play.

Review:
Wow this script is friggen awful. It's like the writers went "ok Episode 1 has some really dark moments, so Episode 2 should be lighter. We need the Daleks in really quick so... lets do an episode where we miniaturize the Doctor and send him inside a Dalek! Then we can be dark, quirky, and have daleks."

You have the Doctor acting like an outright sociopath where the only people he legitimately tries to save are himself, Clara, and the Dalek. Not the humans though who aren't Clara, they're expendable. Then you have the idiotic premise of the episode where they make a huge deal about the idea of turning Daleks good and how it's the one real shot at stopping the massive Dalek invasion happening, they find out that all that's keeping the Daleks evil is their cybernetic parts which purges memories that would make them good, and then it's all "well see you later." "Good luck with that losing war with the Daleks so the Daleks can destroy all life in the Galaxy then start rebuilding their doomsday device to destroy all of reality. Me and Clara have sexy adventures to go on."

I'd go as far as to say this script reads like someone's bad fan fiction they wrote and no one had the heart to tell them it wasn't that great. It's crap, it's terrible, I can't seem them pulling this off and making it work without some incredible acting.

Actual filmed episode, one of the best Dalek episodes in the last few years.

I didn't read the script, were there any changes or was it just really well filmed?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Actual filmed episode, one of the best Dalek episodes in the last few years.

I didn't read the script, were there any changes or was it just really well filmed?

It was just really really well filmed and Capaldi (and surprisingly) Coleman acted the gently caress out of it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
So we have seen a very different 12 from episode 1 to episode 2 with a few people commenting that episode 1 had remnants of Matt Smith still there. Could that be completely intentional now as part of the regeneration he was still slowly shifting from one personality to the other as opposed to a sudden change? I guess the remaining episodes will answer that when we see if he bounces between the two. But I can look on the first episode in a better light if that is intentional. Either way, like others said and like any Capaldi fan was sure would happen - he did act the gently caress out of episode 2. Also yay Tyres from Spaced and Dolourus Edd!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Holy poo poo it was Dolorus Edd! I just knew I recognized that guy!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Noticed the Signet Ring, and I thought, while the look of the Doctor reminds me of Pertwee, the personality has a lot more Hartnell in there.

I really like the delivery and acting of the line "No, you are a good Dalek". To me it echoed the "You will make a good Dalek" from 9's run, and it echoed it well. It did not feel forced. Also, Capaldi played it wonderfully.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

thepokey posted:

So we have seen a very different 12 from episode 1 to episode 2 with a few people commenting that episode 1 had remnants of Matt Smith still there. Could that be completely intentional now as part of the regeneration he was still slowly shifting from one personality to the other as opposed to a sudden change? I guess the remaining episodes will answer that when we see if he bounces between the two. But I can look on the first episode in a better light if that is intentional. Either way, like others said and like any Capaldi fan was sure would happen - he did act the gently caress out of episode 2. Also yay Tyres from Spaced and Dolourus Edd!

That may well be the case - there's precedent in Moffat's run, at least. Matt Smith was doing a pretty overt Tennant impression in his first episode, and was certainly playing it completely differently by The Beast Below.

I don't actually remember DT doing that, though. He was pretty much DT from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

That may well be the case - there's precedent in Moffat's run, at least. Matt Smith was doing a pretty overt Tennant impression in his first episode, and was certainly playing it completely differently by The Beast Below.

I don't actually remember DT doing that, though. He was pretty much DT from the start.
DT's first run was subdued but yeah.I wonder if there is some directorial reason for Doctors keeping remnants of their prior selves personalities for their first runs.

I haven't seen the first 12th yet but this one was fun. I really like the hookiness of the workprints.

• Locked thread