Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I'm gonna beat people up with Krakens tonight. (Or more likely get beaten up)

Deck: Tromo-Crapless

//Spells
2 Burning Anger
2 Cyclonic Rift
4 Dissolve
3 Jace's Ingenuity
4 Jace, Architect of Thought
4 Quicken
4 Whelming Wave
4 Ætherspouts
3 Counterflux
1 Elixir of Immortality

//Creatures
2 Tromokratis
2 Keranos, God of Storms

//Lands
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Shivan Reef
4 Steam Vents
13 Island

//Sideboard
2 Scourge of Fleets
4 Negate
4 Dispel

Display deck statistics

Durdle, durdle, Tromokratis, Burning Anger.

Jonked posted:

Looking for suggestions and sideboard help

A variation on the Golgari graveyard deck that a lot of people have been trying out. This is the version I put together to try out at the next FNM, with the sideboard being mostly "These cards seem good against a lot of the popular decks and also I have them already," but it feels really haphazard. Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow seem like they're good at against Mono B and Mono U devotion, Feast of Dream seems good against the Junk constellation decks, and Fate Unraveler feels like a good answer to Sphinx's Revelation, especially if they're hoping to use the card draw to find their removal.
I'm also sort of preparing for rotation - Overgrown Tomb would be good in this deck, but it feels hard to justify when it's rotating out soon. That said, Lotleth Troll and Grisly Salvage are perfect for this deck and aren't particularly expensive, so I'm keeping them in for now. I'm not really sure if they have a good replacement just yet. But any suggestions on either issue would be appreciated. I should have a better idea what I'm doing with this deck after I try it out at the next FNM.

Needs Reclamation sage in the sideboard or main board. Probably over Fate Unraveler or Erebos Emissary. Great vs Control using Enchantments like D.Sphere or Banishing Light, and other decks that use Courser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Deckit posted:

Needs Reclamation sage in the sideboard or main board. Probably over Fate Unraveler or Erebos Emissary. Great vs Control using Enchantments like D.Sphere or Banishing Light, and other decks that use Courser.
That's a good point. Now that I'm looking at it, I should probably main board 2 and cut 1 Commune with the Gods and 1 Undergrowth Scavenger. I can see cutting Erebos's Emissary, but I like having them in there - they put out a threat that isn't blanked by cards that blank Nighthowler and Scavenger. As for the sideboard, I think I'll put another 2 Sages in there and cut 1 Fate Unraveler and 1 Feast of Dreams. I still like the Unraveler against Revelation and it feels like Sage does a similar role to Feast.

Looking at your deck... Why play the burning anger at all? If you resolve Tromo it seems to me you'd win most of those games just by attacking, and you could run 1 more Tromo and like... Cancel to get you to the point where you could resolve your big kraken.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Jonked posted:

Looking for suggestions and sideboard help

Deck: Nyx Undead

//Lands
9 Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
7 Swamp
4 Temple of Malady

//Spells
4 Commune with the Gods
4 Grisly Salvage

//Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Erebos's Emissary
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Nemesis of Mortals
4 Nighthowler
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Undergrowth Scavenger

//Sideboard
3 Bile Blight
3 Drown in Sorrow
2 Fate Unraveler
3 Feast of Dreams
1 Herald of Torment
3 Hero's Downfall

Display deck statistics

A variation on the Golgari graveyard deck that a lot of people have been trying out. This is the version I put together to try out at the next FNM, with the sideboard being mostly "These cards seem good against a lot of the popular decks and also I have them already," but it feels really haphazard. Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow seem like they're good at against Mono B and Mono U devotion, Feast of Dream seems good against the Junk constellation decks, and Fate Unraveler feels like a good answer to Sphinx's Revelation, especially if they're hoping to use the card draw to find their removal.
I'm also sort of preparing for rotation - Overgrown Tomb would be good in this deck, but it feels hard to justify when it's rotating out soon. That said, Lotleth Troll and Grisly Salvage are perfect for this deck and aren't particularly expensive, so I'm keeping them in for now. I'm not really sure if they have a good replacement just yet. But any suggestions on either issue would be appreciated. I should have a better idea what I'm doing with this deck after I try it out at the next FNM.

Cut the emissaries completely, they're a much worse Lotleth Troll by themselves and nighthowlers are cheaper and better to bestow.

They're rotating soon, but 2 Jarads work so much better, especially when you're flinging 13 damage, nighthowler bestowed lotleth trolls at your opponents face to close the game. Fill the other two slots with pretty much any other 4 drop and you're set.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Jonked posted:

That's a good point. Now that I'm looking at it, I should probably main board 2 and cut 1 Commune with the Gods and 1 Undergrowth Scavenger. I can see cutting Erebos's Emissary, but I like having them in there - they put out a threat that isn't blanked by cards that blank Nighthowler and Scavenger. As for the sideboard, I think I'll put another 2 Sages in there and cut 1 Fate Unraveler and 1 Feast of Dreams. I still like the Unraveler against Revelation and it feels like Sage does a similar role to Feast.

Looking at your deck... Why play the burning anger at all? If you resolve Tromo it seems to me you'd win most of those games just by attacking, and you could run 1 more Tromo and like... Cancel to get you to the point where you could resolve your big kraken.

A lot of what Cactrot said would help.

As for Burning Anger, its to get around Tromo's hexproof weakness. Mainly never having to attack vs anything that would disrupt it, like Azorius Charm, Doom Blade, Celestial Flare, ect. Its just a silly FNM deck. I got to live the dream twice last night and it was fun. Someone ultimated the new Ajani that reduces all damage to 1 against them. It was a long but fun game. :allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Could a BUG version of the Jund Planeswalkers (what do you call an evil version of Superfriends? The Legion of Doom?) decks that have been going around work?

I've been considering trying something along the lines of this:

Deck: Bug Buddies

//Ramp
3 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix

//Planeswalkers
4 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2 Vraska the Unseen
1 Garruk, Apex Predator

//Answers
4 Far // Away
2 Dissolve
2 Syncopate
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Golgari Charm
3 Hero's Downfall
1 Putrefy

//Lands
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Malady
4 Breeding Pool
4 Watery Grave
1 Forest
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Yavimaya Coast

Display deck statistics

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
I think you want Aetherspouts or Polymorphist's Jest as one way to deal with a wide board state.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I stumbled upon the Daring Thief and Perplexing Chimera yesterday and even though I usually absolutely despise playing blue I could not resist the temptation of building a deck based around those two cards. After a few hours of testing and being shouted at on cockatrice I came up with this deck.

The idea here is playing a bunch of cheap creatures like the Hypnotic Siren, playing a daring thief, tapping the daring thief with the springleaf drum, and then exchange my opponents better creatures for my cheap creatures while keeping the thief protected with counterspells and perplexing chimeras (Who also serves as a budget spellskite and occasionally a way to get things like planeswalkers from my opponent) . As soon as the trade is complete I use any of my bounce spells to return my creatures back to my hand, leaving my opponent with an empty field and a bad temper

Deck: Stop Hitting yourself

Junk for exchange
4 Hypnotic Siren
4 Triton Shorecaller
2 Omenspeaker

The stars of the deck
4 Springleaf Drums
4 Daring Thief
4 Perplexing Chimera

Protection
4 Dissolve
4 Retraction Helix
4 Void Snare
4 Negate
4 Triton Tactics

Lands

20 Island

Display deck statistics

Is there anything obvious I should add? Hidden Strings would be great but I'm trying to keep my deck within the Theros block

neosloth fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 11, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Xenagos is a party man, so I decided to move around my landbase and move a few things around and bring on the Party Time.

Deck: Devotion Party

//Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr
1 Scavenging Ooze
3 Genesis Hydra
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Polukranos, World Eater
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
1 Xenagos, God of Revels
1 Soul of New Phyrexia
1 Hornet Queen

//Non-Creature Spells
3 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
2 Nissa, Worldwaker
3 Chord of Calling

//Lands
10 Forest
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Darksteel Citadel

//Sideboard
4 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Setessan Tactics
1 Hornet Nest
2 Reclamation Sage
2 Nylea's Disciple
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
1 Arbor Colossus

Display deck statistics

I was previously splashing black for one-ofs Pharika and Doomwake Giant in the mainboard, and Golgari Charm in the side.

I don't have Domris, so I thought that ripping from the deck onto the board made up for being unable to rip off the top and fight men. That and I'm not dropping 40 bucks on cards that rotate in a month

I'm gonna play this tonight, but I feel like I could be running something else in the sideboard. Any thoughts?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Frozen_flame posted:

I think you want Aetherspouts or Polymorphist's Jest as one way to deal with a wide board state.

Yeah, I actually threw in an Aetherspouts when I ran it today and managed to completely ruin mono-green devotion's day with it. I think I need to find room for more of them.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I'm putting together my first Standard deck, and I wanted to go with something that I knew I'd have fun playing even if I don't win, which turned out to be U/W Aggro Control with combat tricks and lots of heroic triggers. Any advice on it would be useful, as I had to cut out a ton of cards I liked just to get it down to 60, and I'm such a tried-and-true aggro player that I have no idea how to properly fishbowl control, if you can at all. For reference, here's an upload of the deck that also features the stuff I cut or otherwise am not sure about putting in. A few posts up someone suggested Aetherspouts or Jest for the BUG deck, and I feel like I could really benefit from that as well, but don't quite know where I'd fit it in, since I'm already running so low on creature count as it is.

Deck: U/W Hybrid Heroic

//Main
3 Aqueous Form
3 Battlewise Hoplite
4 Dakra Mystic
2 Eidolon of Countless Battles
2 Fabled Hero
3 Gods Willing
8 Island
3 Launch the Fleet
3 Military Intelligence
4 Negate
3 Oppressive Rays
2 Phalanx Leader
8 Plains
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Triton Tactics

//Sideboard
2 Aegis of the Gods
2 Annul
3 Deicide
4 Gainsay
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Reprisal

Display deck statistics

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

neetengie posted:

Oi bruv I hope you come back with a report on how it runs. Seems interesting.

Okay, here's my thoughts so far:

Overall: Deck is quite strong, especially when it gets the right draw/curve and especially if the opponent doesn't. I played against a Constellation deck with a pretty good win rate (70-80%, I'd say) and against a G/B deck with Grey Merchants and the Whip and went maybe 60%. Lifegain is hard to beat, and high toughness creatures, but if it curves outright it's basically a Turn 4 kill.

Card notes: Satyr Firedancer is really important to get, should almost always be your 2 drop, but it's totally worth the lack of momentum in the first two turns for almost always some 2for1 burn spell on Turn 3. Getting out multiple Firedancers just makes the burn better, and Stoke the Flames on Turn 3 by convoking the Firedancer can deal with almost every powerful 3 drop (Brimaz, Courser, etc). Since this is only 2 mana, it's also quite efficient if it eats some removal, almost always trading for something that costs equal or more. Worst case scenario, it sits around and crashes for 1 if your opponent has no blockers.

Generator Servant is a great turn 2/3 play if you're ahead or even on board, especially so if you have a Dragon or Doom Engine in hand. Getting those out on turn 3 or 4 is basically the dream, and with haste they can almost always hit. Worst case scenario, you still put a halt on any 2 toughness creature bashing in.

Goblin Rabblemaster is in because I wanted something to take me from early game to midgame. It's the smokescreen that lets me set up the later plays, and naturally draws a lot of removal towards itself. At the very least, it's free tokens. At the very best, it kills by turn 4 or 5 along with the burn you already have. Some notes: having two out means that they both must attack! Don't forget that trigger if you're in a precarious board situation. Also, if you don't want to attack with the token, you can convoke out a Stoke the Flames before declaring attackers after it hits the board to tap it down and get a better attack next turn.

Stormbreath Dragon, didn't get much work in my tests because I didnt see much white, but obviously strong against exile removal and white fliers. This is already a well-known beater.

Scuttling Doom Engine is such a house. Generator Serving it to an opponent's face on Turn 4 feels great, immediately requires some sort of removal, and the 3-power requirement to block it gets around a lot of blockers you'll see(Nyx-fleece Ram, Courser, Caryatid), along with completely hopping over most aggro decks. Obvious combo finish with Shrapnel Blast, and the dream turn is 17 damage with a Doom Engine swing then the full 11 damage from Shrapnel Blasting it. I'm going to be paying very close attention to lifegain and sweepers in Khans, basically because destroying this guy vs. exiling him in any sort of control strategy is a six damage difference. With four Doom Engines in the deck, it's definitely possible to put your opponent in a no-win situation where they can't clear the board, because the six damage would kill them.

The burn spells are all more or less great, the two worse ones are Shrapnel Blast and Searing Blood, but both have tremendous upside in the right situations. Shrapnel Blast if you have one of the 8 artifacts, and Searing Blood for the insta-2for1 if they have a two toughness creature. And Firedancer makes them all so, so much better.

Sideboard Thoughts: Hoarding Dragon for more consistent Doom Engines, plus it ain't a bad draw in itself. Very weak against exiling, you lose both cards.

Twinflame on Firedancer is great. Twinflame on Rabblemaster is great. Twinflame on Doom Engine isn't so great because it exiles. But if you can Twinflame the Doom Engine, attack with both, then Shrapnel Blast the copy, that's 23 damage for just 5 mana late in the game. Yeah, highly considering messing around with this.

Enchantment hate might be necessary to get around certain things. Sideboarding in Back to Nature might be a great call, but do I put in Temples of Abandon to my sideboard? My main board? I'll have to see what else is good here.

Torch fiend for artifact hate.

Eidolon of the Great Revels is a good sideboard option, but I'm not sure how necessary it is.

Also, considering throwing in some goblins to make it more of a mono-red aggro deck after sideboarding. Key players would be Foundry Street Denizen to combo off the Rabblemaster token triggers, and Frenzied Goblin.

Final Thoughts: I can't wait to see what burn Khans brings in! Mono-red should be an interesting archetype with a bunch of wedge cards, but I'm sure I can figure something out. Also on my radar would be a red/green land that can be tapped that turn, which would make Back to Nature much more of an option. Mana Confluence is such a painful backup, and kinda missing the point of the card, but might be necessary depending on how many enchantments get picked up after the rotation.

Let me know what y'all think!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I was hoping you'd do a trip report with that. I've been meaning to make something along those lines but hadn't tried it yet so I'm glad it was successful. Do you think the rabblemasters pulled their weight in the majority of games?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I was hoping you'd do a trip report with that. I've been meaning to make something along those lines but hadn't tried it yet so I'm glad it was successful. Do you think the rabblemasters pulled their weight in the majority of games?

I think the Rabblemasters pull their weight goddamn anytime they hit the board, regardless of the board state. The only clean answer is instant-speed removal before the token comes out. They fit very well into the curve as the go-to 3 drop and you can even turn the token chump blocking in a behind situation into removal with the right burn spell. It also totally shuts down Caryatid, because it almost always attacks with 3 or more power.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Frgrbrgr posted:

Okay, here's my thoughts so far:

Overall: Deck is quite strong, especially when it gets the right draw/curve and especially if the opponent doesn't. I played against a Constellation deck with a pretty good win rate (70-80%, I'd say) and against a G/B deck with Grey Merchants and the Whip and went maybe 60%. Lifegain is hard to beat, and high toughness creatures, but if it curves outright it's basically a Turn 4 kill.
tl;dr
Let me know what y'all think!
What enchantments did you have problems with specifically? What would a sample sideboard look like? Would Mizzium Mortars be a good SB option?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Frgrbrgr posted:

I think the Rabblemasters pull their weight goddamn anytime they hit the board, regardless of the board state. The only clean answer is instant-speed removal before the token comes out. They fit very well into the curve as the go-to 3 drop and you can even turn the token chump blocking in a behind situation into removal with the right burn spell. It also totally shuts down Caryatid, because it almost always attacks with 3 or more power.

Good to know. I need some rabblemasters and stormbreaths to finish that deck, but I just realized that none of the deck is rotating out so it seems like a good thing to build right now. I'm assuming the sideboard is some combination of mortars, skullcrack, and some relevant hate cards. Phyrexian revoker seems like a good option with jund walkers being so popular suddenly.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

neetengie posted:

What enchantments did you have problems with specifically? What would a sample sideboard look like? Would Mizzium Mortars be a good SB option?

Good to know. I need some rabblemasters and stormbreaths to finish that deck, but I just realized that none of the deck is rotating out so it seems like a good thing to build right now. I'm assuming the sideboard is some combination of mortars, skullcrack, and some relevant hate cards. Phyrexian revoker seems like a good option with jund walkers being so popular suddenly.

First off just gotta say that this is definitely a post-rotation Standard Deck, Mizzium Mortars would be great to bring along but it's gone (but thankfully, so is Pack Rat and Sphinx's Rev). As far as enchantments go, a lot of my concern is just speculation on what the Standard archetypes are going to be after rotation. Whip of Erebos is a real big shut down with the lifegain and Grey Merchants flying back in from the graveyard, and Mono-black is definitely going to still be around. Back to Nature just feels right now like a really safe 2for1 off the sideboard against most decks, especially if Bestow sticks around. Not a lot of creatures can't be killed by Firedancer burn copies, but enchantments could put them out of range if they catch me tapped out. We'll see how that actually goes...

If I had to make a sideboard right now, that rotates, based on absolutely no testing, it'd be:

2 Temple of Abandon
2 Back to Nature
2 Torch Fiend
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Twinflame
1 Fated Conflagration
2 Eidolon of the Great Revels

poo poo Phyrexian Revoker works well too. Maybe that and more Shrapnel Blasts? Not sure how good Planeswalkers actually will be against this deck, since Doom Engine hops over all the tokens and Stoke the Flames ain't bad either.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Are you saying have green cards in the sideboard and only run 2 sources of green to cast them? You need at least 9 sources of a color to cast it reliably by turn 6 even.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Boco_T posted:

Are you saying have green cards in the sideboard and only run 2 sources of green to cast them? You need at least 9 sources of a color to cast it reliably by turn 6 even.

poo poo I don't know, I've only really done draft. You're right though, how the hell does red deal with enchantments?

Probably just count to 20.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it's worth mainboarding 4 temples anyway. I don't have a turn 1 play and the scry is incredibly valuable.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 14, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Frgrbrgr posted:

poo poo I don't know, I've only really done draft. You're right though, how the hell does red deal with enchantments?

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it's worth mainboarding 4 temples anyway. I don't have a turn 1 play and the scry is incredibly valuable.

Might be worth mainboarding the w/r temple so you can run a toolbox of white removal and wear/tear. White has better sideboard options than green.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Might be worth mainboarding the w/r temple so you can run a toolbox of white removal and wear/tear. White has better sideboard options than green.

Good thinking. Let's see... Deicide, maybe Banishing Light, any good gold cards? Anax and Cymede? Nah. God ain't great either. There's that WR trick too that probably isn't worth it.

Also, I forgot to mention Anger of the Gods is a definite sideboard card against aggro decks and likely required for mirror matchups.

Revised Sideboard
3 Deicide
2 Torch Fiend
4 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Eidolon of the Great Revels
1 Fated Conflagration

Twinflame on second thought seems more win-more than board stabilizing which is what the deck really needs.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Frgrbrgr posted:

Maybe mana confluence might fit in the mana base. Yeah, it hurts, but it comes in untapped.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm thinking of trying this out at FNM or something, with an eye to the basic idea of it surviving rotation. It's based on the Heroic deck I did okay with at GP Manchester in block.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Creautures
2 Eidolon of Countless Battles
4 Agent of the Fates
4 Herald of Torment
4 Hero of Iroas
4 Spiteful Returned
4 Tormented Hero
4 Pain Seer

//Spells
3 Bile Blight
4 Gods Willing
2 Thoughtseize
1 Ajani's Presence
1 Glimpse the Sun God

//Land
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Godless Shrine
4 Temple of Silence
4 Mutavault
3 Swamp
3 Plains
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Sideboard
2 Eternal Thirst
2 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Sin Collector
3 Doom Blade
2 Thoughtseize
2 Deicide
2 Nighthowler

Display deck statistics

I don't know about the number of non-creature spells. Ought to be some removal, and God's Willing is a requirement. Ajani's Presence and Glimpse the Sun God are experiments, both allowing multiple Heroic triggers, and Presence gives me a defence against sweepers (Verdict and Planar Cleansing are going out) Glimpse also might let me Inspire Pain Seers easier.

Eternal Thirst is another experiment, should probably be in the main as a 1-2 of or not at all, works well with Agent of the Fates (though the Heroic trigger from it going on won't put a counter on it, I know)

Raise the Alarm could be handy, boosting Eidolon of Countless Battles.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Nyx Undead

So this is the actual deck list I ran yesterday, placing 10th out of 30? with a 3-2 record. I really want to thank you guys for your suggestions - Jarad won me a few games, and none of my concerns about graveyard hate really panned out. The rest of this is some thoughts I had for other people who might be interested in a similar list. I think I could have easily went 4-1 if I had piloted the deck better, and definitely 5-0 with a bit more luck on top. I think there's potential there for the deck to be... I dunno, Tier 2?

The obvious improvements for this deck list - I didn't get the Overgrown Tombs because of financial concerns, and it noticeably hurt the deck. This deck has a low curve, but extremely demanding colored mana requirements. Nemesis of Mortals and Nighthowlers both have double mana costs that you'll want to pay on turn 3/4, and Jarad's four colored mana made it a struggle to get it out on turn 4/5 reliably. If you're a modern player, or just don't mind dropping the $40 for a playset that's rotating out in a month, those Tombs will noticeably improve the deck.

I also made a snap decision to NOT pick up the Hero's Downfall playset, mostly because I felt like I had spent too much money already, and I DEEPLY regretted that. There was one U/G/B Superfriends deck that gave me a lot of grief, and quite a few games where unconditional removal would have been helpful. That said, I'm not sure how much of it was just match ups and local meta, versus actual need. I would certainly run it in the sideboard over the 2 Fate Unravelers, as I didn't see a single person running Sphinx's Revelation.

Less obvious improvements, the Elvish Mystics were actually fairly poor performers. Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't feel constrained by cost as much as color requirements. As crazy as it sounds, there were quite a few games where having a Charging Badger instead of a Elvish Mystic would have been much better. This deck has the ability to put a LOT of power on the board quickly, but it's lacking in evasion. Herald of Torment was a game winner every time I drew it, and Lotleth Troll is definitely a card you don't want to trade away cheaply (I think I could have gone 4-1 on this alone if I had realized this earlier in the tournament). I'm not convinced that switching out the Mystics for Badgers is a good choice, but it's definitely something I would consider testing. Or it could just be silly.

Looking forward to post-rotation, this deck has problems. Jarad actually feels like a fairly easy replacement - I think switching him out for 2 more Heralds as a late game evasive closer should be fine if Khans doesn't have anything better. Losing Lotleth Troll and Grisly Salvage actually hurt the deck a lot more. Lotleth Troll is obvious - it's your earliest aggressive creature, it is practically the only evasion this deck has, and it carries a bestowed Nighthowler well thanks to the cheap regen. I'm rather hopeful that Sultai will have some sort of replacement though - some sort of black Welkin Tern, perhaps. Grisly Salvage is probably the more important and difficult loss. Unlike your Wayfinders and Communes, it pretty much always grab something, and it's vital as piece of your combo for getting cards into your bin. You can get cards into your graveyard with Necromancer's Assistant, and you can get card draw with Sign in Blood, but there isn't a card that does both. That said, the deck still exists without it, and I'm sure there will be some card in standard that this deck will like to run. Hero's Downfall in the mainboard, perhaps, and go for a more mid-range game plan.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Thematically, I like this deck a ton but would recommend some changes to streamline it a little:

-I'd probably drop Undergrowth Scavenger for Necromancer's Assistants; you already have some 'finishers' in Jarad, Nemesis, and Nighthowler, so Scavenger just feels redundant. Assistant will add more fuel to the 'yard and give you an efficient beater.

-If you need a good replacement for Jarad, I'd probably start with Boon Satyr; like Necromancer's Assistant he's an efficient beater that has the upside of Flash and Bestow. He's also BFFs with Herald of Torment, which is one of your best finishers due to the evasion.

-I wonder about the usefulness of a card like Courser of Kruphix in this deck; if you can afford it, it gives you a way to make sure you aren't milling precious lands and allow you to play the long game while building up a huge Nemesis or Nighthowler. Turn 1 Mystic followed by Turn 2 Courser is a great start.

-I don't know how much you want to commit to the self-mill and graveyard theme, but you might want to consider making room for some removal like the Hero's Downfall you mentioned - considering that they'll be legal for another year at least, it's worth slowly gathering a playset. Maybe a copy or two of Necromancer's Stockpile to cycle your dudes?

-Unless they prove difficult to find, try and acquire a playset of Golgari Charms; they'd work wonders for the deck as-is.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

bhsman posted:

Thematically, I like this deck a ton but would recommend some changes to streamline it a little:

-I don't know how much you want to commit to the self-mill and graveyard theme, but you might want to consider making room for some removal like the Hero's Downfall you mentioned - considering that they'll be legal for another year at least, it's worth slowly gathering a playset. Maybe a copy or two of Necromancer's Stockpile to cycle your dudes?

-Unless they prove difficult to find, try and acquire a playset of Golgari Charms; they'd work wonders for the deck as-is.

Agreed on both of these. I run 2 decay and an ultimate price in my similar deck and I'd like to fit another price or a downfall in there. Golgari charm is a house and well worth the spots. Having Rec Sages is an OK substitute, but all modes work great in the deck.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-08-14-keranos-edh/

My first shot at Keranos in EDH, not sure what I'm trying to do with him really...some tips on how to focus my deck a little more would be great.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Does it seem to anyone else that we have the cards in Standard to support a solid version of Black/White tokens? The below is just a riff off one of Melissa Del Toro's GP decks from 2013, but it may be possible to tune the deck to the current Standard meta.

Original List
3 Auriok Champion
3 Deathrite Shaman
3 Tidehollow Sculler

3 Honor of the Pure
2 Intangible Virtue
4 Lingering Souls
3 Path to Exile
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Spectral Procession
4 Thoughtseize
2 Zealous Persecution

1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

4 Arid Mesa
1 Fetid Heath
2 Godless Shrine
2 Isolated Chapel
4 Marsh Flats
5 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
3 Windbrisk Heights

Sideboard:
3 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Duress
3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Shrine of Loyal Legions
2 Sin Collector
3 Stony Silence

Altered list:
3 Precinct Captain
3 Selfless Cathar
3 Brian Maggot
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos

3 Launch the Fleet
2 Hall of Triumph
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Launch the Fleet
3 Banishing Light (or Hero's Downfall, depending on the meta)
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Triplicate Spirits
4 Thoughtseize

2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

4 Caves of Koilos
4 Temple of Silence
4 Godless Shrine
7 Plains
2 Swamp

Sideboard - really rough, needs testing.
3 Soldier of the Pantheon (good against Mono Blue, half its creatures are hybrid)
4 Duress
4 Sin Collector
4 Devour Flesh

I tested a mono-white tokens build with Brave the Elements against mono blue and it was fast but didn't have much staying power. The disruption gained from black really seems like it could push the deck to a power level where it could compete.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I'm looking to make a fun LD deck in Modern for casual play.

So far I'm going to be using molten rain, rain of tears, stone rain, avalanche riders, and poison the well. I took a break between Lorwyn block till now, so I'm not sure what other good LD cards are there besides the LD lands like tetonic and ghost quarter. Any ideas/suggestions guys?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Wear a cup.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Words to live by.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Thisuck posted:

So far I'm going to be using molten rain, rain of tears, stone rain, avalanche riders, and poison the well. I took a break between Lorwyn block till now, so I'm not sure what other good LD cards are there besides the LD lands like tetonic and ghost quarter. Any ideas/suggestions guys?

The only question is what variety of stone rains are you planning on playing?

Boom/Bust also works, but its harder to cascade into since blodbraid got banned. Deus of Calamity is fun. Fulminator Mage is sweet but is $$$. Roiling Terrain can be your finisher.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Thisuck posted:

simian spirit guide + crack the earth. feels good man.

edit: finisher is koth

edit 2: here's a modern list I was using. https://deckbox.org/sets/668174

I'd drop the godo/batterskull thing and just do more deus of calamity. 4 blood moons, replace the magus with stone rain or whatever. the snow + scrying sheets lets you get ahead on cards, albeit slowly.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 16, 2014

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
I'm thinking of building to UWR delver for modern - something like this: (already posted in the modern thread)

4 Delver of Secrets
2 Geist of St Traft
4 Spell-stutter Sprite (although I think these are probably the flex-slots)
4 Snapcaster Mage

4 Path to Exile
2 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Spell Pierce
2 Remand
2 Mana Leak
2 Swords (Light/Shadow and Fire/Ice?) - actually I'm considering sword of fast & famine so I can still Boros Charm the creature who is equipped

8 fetches?
4 Steam Vents
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Emerson Cod posted:

Altered list:
3 Precinct Captain
3 Selfless Cathar
3 Brian Maggot
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos

3 Launch the Fleet
2 Hall of Triumph
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Launch the Fleet
3 Banishing Light (or Hero's Downfall, depending on the meta)
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Triplicate Spirits
4 Thoughtseize

2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

4 Caves of Koilos
4 Temple of Silence
4 Godless Shrine
7 Plains
2 Swamp

Sideboard - really rough, needs testing.
3 Soldier of the Pantheon (good against Mono Blue, half its creatures are hybrid)
4 Duress
4 Sin Collector
4 Devour Flesh

I tested a mono-white tokens build with Brave the Elements against mono blue and it was fast but didn't have much staying power. The disruption gained from black really seems like it could push the deck to a power level where it could compete.

You only have 7 launch the fleet in the main board, why not throw in an extra to finish the playset. Also, do we really need a third Brian Maggot? Isn't he legendary?

Seriously, though, change out the 3 launch the fleet for Elspeth, add a fourth Banishing light, and maybe switch 3 plains for evolving wilds, for deck thinning? Also, put one duress main board as card 61, and put a single brain maggot in the sideboard in place of it.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Molybdenum posted:

simian spirit guide + crack the earth. feels good man.

edit: finisher is koth

edit 2: here's a modern list I was using. https://deckbox.org/sets/668174

I'd drop the godo/batterskull thing and just do more deus of calamity. 4 blood moons, replace the magus with stone rain or whatever. the snow + scrying sheets lets you get ahead on cards, albeit slowly.

Hmm I'm running jund colors though, but mono red looks pretty fun as well. As for finisher Rolling Terrain is pretty funny, I managed to pull a Nessa from M15, was thinking about running her and just run people down.

The lands I'm thinking about running are

4 stomping ground
4 overgrown tomb
4 verdant catacombs
4 scalding tarn
1 Urborg
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Tectonic Edge
2 Mountains
2 Forests

That way I can use Utopia Sprawl for a bit of ramp and also everything is considered a "forest" and I can untap it with Nessa.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Gonna guess this is impossible right now, but are there any decent budget decks that aren't using any RTR cards?

Maybe white weenie?

An LGS like 5 minutes from my new job does standard tournaments for FNM and I want to get involved for fun and practice, but I don't have anything resembling a deck right now.

Would love to stay at about $60-70 tops.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Loving Life Partner posted:

Gonna guess this is impossible right now, but are there any decent budget decks that aren't using any RTR cards?

Maybe white weenie?

An LGS like 5 minutes from my new job does standard tournaments for FNM and I want to get involved for fun and practice, but I don't have anything resembling a deck right now.

Would love to stay at about $60-70 tops.

Look up rabblered or boss sligh lists in standard right now. The whole deck is cheap so you wont be out much at rotation, and any goblin rabblemasters or eidolon of the great revels you buy aren't rotating and are worth the money.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

I just started playing Magic 2 weeks ago and bought a couple of intro packs plus a deck builder's toolkit. I bought a couple Elvish Mystics, but otherwise, I have no idea what to do with this green deck which started from The Wilds and the Deep intro deck.

I'm on a budget so I can't just add mythics and rares willy-nilly, I'm just asking for a little direction. More or less mana-ramp, more big dudes, more small dudes, more or less spells, that kind of thing. Recommended cards would be awesome too :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pete Zah posted:

I just started playing Magic 2 weeks ago and bought a couple of intro packs plus a deck builder's toolkit. I bought a couple Elvish Mystics, but otherwise, I have no idea what to do with this green deck which started from The Wilds and the Deep intro deck.

I'm on a budget so I can't just add mythics and rares willy-nilly, I'm just asking for a little direction. More or less mana-ramp, more big dudes, more small dudes, more or less spells, that kind of thing. Recommended cards would be awesome too :)

I don't know how much I like the Fonts here. I think I know what you're going for which is to ramp and be able to cast+sac them in the same turn, but that seems less than optimal. You could drop the green ones for more Peregrination or some other ramp spell, and the blue one for another counterspell to protect your big guys.

Also in general, it's better to have three or four of a few creatures you really like than one or two of many different creatures. While playtesting, take note of how you feel when you draw (for example) Packleader vs Nessian Asp, and adjust accordingly. Speaking of big guys, I'd try to add a couple more Satyrs (drop the single Scorpion and Sealocks). Also the green Archetype seems like it would be better here than the blue one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Pete Zah posted:

In general, find the cards that work for how you want to play and put 4 of them in. 1-ofs and 2-ofs are just not consistent enough, if you have a good card just get 4 of them.

In terms of specific card notes, Archetype of Imagination is wayyy overpriced and fragile as hell, Shock as a 1 drop kills it. You have 2 Kiora's Follower and 1 Voyaging Satyr—just get two more Followers, they are very solid in UG decks. Also there's an infinite combo if you have 2xMarket Festival on the same land and a Kiora's Follower and a Thassa's Ire, all cheap to obtain, very fun to pull off if you can manage it. You can basically make infinite mana and turn it into infinite damage, tap downs, draw, scry, and my favorite, infinite infinite/infinite hydras with the Broodmother. More expensive upgrades would include Courser of Kruphix, Prophet of Kruphix, Thassa, and Sylvan Caryatid.

• Locked thread