Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

NikkolasKing posted:

I agree with all of that except Eighteen. I love Colleen Clinkenbeard but she just used a really generic voice for her and I didn't like it. She has this great "strong badass woman" voice she uses for other characters like Erza but her 18 just sounded so...plain. Meredith McCoy, the original Funi 18, had a great dry wit to her character as she always sounded bored with the world to contrast with what an over-excited child 17 was. Plus she just naturally sounded tough.

I appreciate the way she played 18 but I just didn't think her actual voice fit because it made 18 sound way older than she actually was. She sounded to me like one of those sarcastic outcast kids who skipped class and smoked in the bathroom grew up and became a mom, whereas Colleen Clinkenbeard's take sounds more like an irritated teen who's stuck hanging out with her annoying kid brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I always thought the Vegeta voice in the Funimation dub was better suited for the good guy Vegeta eventually becomes, even though the Ocean Vegeta was a bit better. I could never imagine that voice on really anything but short, evil Saiyan/early Freeza Saga Vegeta.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

facebook jihad posted:

I always thought the Vegeta voice in the Funimation dub was better suited for the good guy Vegeta eventually becomes, even though the Ocean Vegeta was a bit better. I could never imagine that voice on really anything but short, evil Saiyan/early Freeza Saga Vegeta.

That's the general idea among the fans: Drummond suits early 'prince of assholes' Vegeta, Sabat suits more muscular and grown-up Vegeta. I always preferred Sabat but there's at least one scene where Brian Drummond just outshines him in every way - this one (bonus screaming at the end).
Plus, I think his laugh is more menacing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm not sure what else they could have used to compete with DBZ in that era. YuYu Hakusho is probably closest, and I think its target audience might skew a tiny bit older than DBZ, maybe?

I think that's about as close as it gets. I almost want to lump Trigun in there, but it was less DBZ and a bit more Cowboy Bebop without as much charm or a plot that made sense.

Like DBZ, YuYu Hakusho is another anime that suffered from not having all the proper dub episodes done. I recall the dub stopping just before Yusuke and Sensui really duke it out and it was that way for a long enough time I eventually forgot about it completely. Then about 4 years ago I happen to be channel surfing and oh hey I remember this show, but I don't remember this episo- :aaa: and finally got some closure.

Soulcleaver posted:

Ranma 1/2 was my first foreigner cartoon so by the time Tenchi Muyo came along I recognized it for the derivative garage it was. That harem poo poo was everywhere in the late 90s.

This was my second anime ever (my first being Project A-ko). It came at a time where I had no access to anime except for one video rental store with a small selection. I was just excited to see another anime. In time, I grew to see what it really was. Oh yes and the naked titties on an unwilling magical transgender sure was something to my pubescent mind.

Fun fact: The only rental store that had an anime section turned out to be half full of softcore hentai. Nobody noticed, even after they went out of business in the early aughts.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Trigun's plot made sense. It's just more interesting and better bold in the manga.

Also Cowboy Bebop barely had a plot since it was 99% episodic. But of the many unpopular anime and manga opinions I hold, my complete indifference to CB is one of the biggest. Yes, subjectivity and all that but "it had the best dub ever"? Really? And Vicious is one of the greatest anime villains of all time?

I'll take Trigun all day everyday. It really puzzles me Legato wasn't on that IGN list since they were just picking from super-mainstream anime hits. Legato Bluesummers was a fantastic part of both the anime and manga. I'd sooner peg him as one of the best anime and manga villains rather than Vicious.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 11, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Freakazoid_ posted:

Like DBZ, YuYu Hakusho is another anime that suffered from not having all the proper dub episodes done. I recall the dub stopping just before Yusuke and Sensui really duke it out and it was that way for a long enough time I eventually forgot about it completely. Then about 4 years ago I happen to be channel surfing and oh hey I remember this show, but I don't remember this episo- :aaa: and finally got some closure.

I think this is because they put the show on at 6AM at this point for god knows what reason.

You got the better ending before you knew about those episodes :ssh:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

That's the general idea among the fans: Drummond suits early 'prince of assholes' Vegeta, Sabat suits more muscular and grown-up Vegeta. I always preferred Sabat but there's at least one scene where Brian Drummond just outshines him in every way - this one (bonus screaming at the end).
Plus, I think his laugh is more menacing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiz53Ipf3J4

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah they got to the point where Kuwabara's power was about to awaken and then I never heard of them again.

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 11, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My parents refused to get cable while I was growing up, so my first foray into anime was just what little of DBZ, Sailor Moon, Digimon/Pokemon, and Escaflowne got shown on Fox before/after school. Then we got the internet, and I found out that anime was A Thing and spent half my time on PlanetNamek.net memorizing power level charts. :v: Oh, I do remember the original dubbed version of Tekkaman Blade (Teknoman in the U.S.) on UPN. I thought that show was loving awesome, but I think they only showed up to the point where Blade's sister sacrifices herself before it was cancelled.

The first subbed anime I ever saw was the Escaflowne VHS box set my parents got me for my birthday one year. My mom watched it with me because she wanted to know what the gently caress she just bought me, and she ended up loving it even more than I did. Apparently, Folken was tragi-bishi enough to entrance grown women.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Going with the TFS one because while the other two prattle on, the incoherent scream of rage is just so fitting, the joke could have stopped at Freiza wondering "what the devil is that noise?" and i'd be seamless. :allears:

Help me tho, which is the first two?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thyrork posted:

Going with the TFS one because while the other two prattle on, the incoherent scream of rage is just so fitting, the joke could have stopped at Freiza wondering "what the devil is that noise?" and i'd be seamless. :allears:

Funimation is the first one, then Ocean.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Ocean Dubs almost always have some sort of ominous music playing in the background. Funimation is the one that normally doesn't and Kai is the one that is in HD.

Kild fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 11, 2014

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

AlternateNu posted:

Oh, I do remember the original dubbed version of Tekkaman Blade (Teknoman in the U.S.) on UPN. I thought that show was loving awesome, but I think they only showed up to the point where Blade's sister sacrifices herself before it was cancelled.

O poo poo, that was the first anime I think played here.
Before that we had to watch the French TV for violent kid shows, so I didn't understand anything that was happening (but it sure looked cool, o boy). Belgium TV started with Tekkaman Blade and Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin). Then the Pokemon craze happened. When they realized kids love flashy fights they finally started showing DBZ, which was awesome, because I could finally understand what the hell everyone was screaming in DBZ. I got canceled after the Cell Saga, so I was even older when I finally tracked the Buu saga.

I'm happy to say I never bothered with GT :)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Tenchi is closer to "the thing derivative shows are derivative of." (At least, the OVA is; the TV shows are decent and eye-searingly dreadful, respectively.)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
So, the Xenoverse game not only has Time Patrol Trunks in it...

quote:

Bandai Namco Games has been teasing a "mysterious new character" for Dragon Ball Xenoverse for a while now, with the general assumption of it being a customizable aspect of the game. This morning the company confirmed that the new character is, in fact… YOU!

Dragon Ball Xenoverse will give players the first-ever opportunity to create their own custom characters and throw their creations into some of the series' most iconic battles. Options include physical features from Earthling, Majin, and Namekian races, among others.

Once created, Trunks will summon your character to complete a series of challenges that will set them on their Dragon Ball adventure, starting in the hub area of Toki Toki City.

IT'S DRAGON BALL ONLINE'S CONCEPT REDONE. gently caress YEAH. :neckbeard:

Link has some sample creations in it, for reference.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As long as the game doesn't do what Ultimate Tenkaichi did it has more hope to be passable.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
There's a way too short preview of episode 43 on Team Four Star's site (with new opening featuring Mr. Satan).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cozz posted:

There's a way too short preview of episode 43 on Team Four Star's site (with new opening featuring Mr. Satan).

I really want to see what they do with Herc. He'll either be even more PRO WRESTLING than Recoome was, or he'll be a brave and noble warrior.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

StrifeHira posted:

So, the Xenoverse game not only has Time Patrol Trunks in it...

IT'S DRAGON BALL ONLINE'S CONCEPT REDONE. gently caress YEAH. :neckbeard:

Link has some sample creations in it, for reference.

Beef Waifu posted:

As long as the game doesn't do what Ultimate Tenkaichi did it has more hope to be passable.

yeah they already kinda did this and it was terrible so it's a bit hard for me to get excited

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

I really want to see what they do with Herc. He'll either be even more PRO WRESTLING than Recoome was, or he'll be a brave and noble warrior.

I know they've kinda shifted away from dramatically changing the character's personality (think Guru or Nappa), but it would be crazy if they played Satan completely straight

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

I know they've kinda shifted away from dramatically changing the character's personality (think Guru or Nappa), but it would be crazy if they played Satan completely straight

He works (worked?) for Nappa in TFS continuity as an actor, so I fully expect him to be the DBZ version of The Rock - both a wrestler and an accomplished actor.

Alternately, they could go the Johnny Cage route of making him an rear end in a top hat actor who happens to do his own stunts.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 14, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

g0lbez posted:

yeah they already kinda did this and it was terrible so it's a bit hard for me to get excited

To be fair to the game it is a different developer and the idea of having more than one race shows they are taking customization more seriously than loving Spike. On the other hand, there has been like almost no universally good DBZ games since Infinite World and even though Dimps is making this one it's still in Tenkaichi style gameplay.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Has Xenoverse ever been confirmed for America? Also, is it going to be another MMO? With it coming to consoles, I question it a little.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Has Xenoverse ever been confirmed for America? Also, is it going to be another MMO? With it coming to consoles, I question it a little.

They were showing it off at E3 so odds are fairly good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncT1g-fJexs

This is gameplay footage of Xenoverse. Dimps has confirmed already there are no in-game QTEs and you can special cancel, so expect it to be Tenkaichi but with people who know how a fighting game works behind it. That being said, I would still not hold my breath until we see more stuff, this is still pretty new footage I'm sure and it could just as easily be a bad game since Dimps is working with a new style they have not handled before.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

PS3, PS4, 360, XBONE, and I believe PC? It's not coming out until 2015 in any case, so they'll actually have to spend TIME on it instead of rushing it out the door like the other recent examples.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's been no confirmation for a PC Port and I wouldn't really hold my breath on it either.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Must have been misreading something a while back, then. Still, if it's for that many consoles I'm pretty sure it's getting ported overseas eventually.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Beef Waifu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncT1g-fJexs

This is gameplay footage of Xenoverse. Dimps has confirmed already there are no in-game QTEs and you can special cancel, so expect it to be Tenkaichi but with people who know how a fighting game works behind it. That being said, I would still not hold my breath until we see more stuff, this is still pretty new footage I'm sure and it could just as easily be a bad game since Dimps is working with a new style they have not handled before.

honestly I don't quite understand since Tenkaichi literally was not a fighting game at all. I don't mean that in terms of "it was a bad fighting game" or anything, it literally was not a fighting game, it was more of a cinematic show with the occasional rock paper scissors QTE thrown in. What DBZ fighting games have Dimps handled before?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yes, I can't wait to be able to play as my fanfic super saiyan five character I made when I was 12. He was like five times stronger than Goku at the end of Z I swear.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

g0lbez posted:

honestly I don't quite understand since Tenkaichi literally was not a fighting game at all. I don't mean that in terms of "it was a bad fighting game" or anything, it literally was not a fighting game, it was more of a cinematic show with the occasional rock paper scissors QTE thrown in. What DBZ fighting games have Dimps handled before?

The Budokai series and they co-developed Street Fighter IV with Capcom.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

g0lbez posted:

This looks more like Budokai Tenkaichi or Raging Blast.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I hope it's like Raging Blast. Raging Blast 2 was great and I loved swatting people's supers away like it was nothing.

MastG
May 25, 2014
It's looking like it'll be a combination of Raging Blast and Budokai Tenkaichi. So that's absolutely fantastic.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

facebook jihad posted:

Yes, I can't wait to be able to play as my fanfic super saiyan five character I made when I was 12. He was like five times stronger than Goku at the end of Z I swear.
I like when the thread discussions go to faulconer music so you hit up youtube and you end up with this list of dbz remixes of his tracks, which are often great, but the best part is it always has some crazy fan transformation as the thumbnail like SSJ7 Gogeta AND Vegitto with goofy mismatched color schemes.

Just made me think of that. I always smile at that stuff, it's just so dbz. It's nostalgic to the childhood feeling of DBZ, beyond the show itself.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

I like when the thread discussions go to faulconer music so you hit up youtube and you end up with this list of dbz remixes of his tracks, which are often great, but the best part is it always has some crazy fan transformation as the thumbnail like SSJ7 Gogeta AND Vegitto with goofy mismatched color schemes.

Just made me think of that. I always smile at that stuff, it's just so dbz. It's nostalgic to the childhood feeling of DBZ, beyond the show itself.

Speaking of that, Scott Morgan, composer working under Faulconer for the dub Z track, actually tossed together a number of neat little remixes on youtube himself!
Even did a "Super Saiyan 5" theme for a fangroup a while back. And a "Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta" one too.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
A short preview of DBZA ep 43 went up

I can't wait.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

havenwaters posted:

A short preview of DBZA ep 43 went up

I can't wait.

Eh, I am not feeling Cell yet.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
There is only so much they can do at that point. I mean this probably the creepiest part of Cell, there is not much they can do here.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I can almost guarantee you that TFS Cell will really shine when he becomes smug as hell, rear end in a top hat, I'm-more-perfect-than-perfect Cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Cell Saga's gonna be great

• Locked thread