Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marumaru
May 20, 2013

Barn Owl posted:

Sounds like a lot of work for an arrow. Does unity not have support for very useful thing that would make everyone's lives easier?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Jeez, hundreds of posts arguing about eyes. Here I was thinking something exciting had happened. :rolleyes:

Bentai posted:

I want to set clipping mode, then use the tail connector to shove 7 LV-T30 or LV-T45's underneath each of those tanks. 41 tanks x 7 engines per tank = 287 engines.
It would be glorious. :jeb:

Good luck. I haven't got the struts on the 41 plate yet and it's over 450 parts. Add another 240 engines and your CPU will poo poo itself ;)

Lord Yod posted:

Yes please.

Coming as soon as I finish the 41 plate assembly. I used RealChute because those have a far higher drag per chute than stock for just a little more mass which cuts the parts down a bit while still getting the funds recovery. The ones marked 'SRB' have KW rocketry SRBs and in one case NP SRBs too for a little extra push. I didn't put any on the larger ones because a) they don't need them and b) too many parts already.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
How do you people land rockets at the KSC from orbit with FAR? Like, I can do it with SSTO's fine, but never with regular rockets.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 13, 2014

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Jeez, hundreds of posts arguing about eyes. Here I was thinking something exciting had happened. :rolleyes:

Good luck. I haven't got the struts on the 41 plate yet and it's over 450 parts. Add another 240 engines and your CPU will poo poo itself ;)

Coming as soon as I finish the 41 plate assembly. I used RealChute because those have a far higher drag per chute than stock for just a little more mass which cuts the parts down a bit while still getting the funds recovery. The ones marked 'SRB' have KW rocketry SRBs and in one case NP SRBs too for a little extra push. I didn't put any on the larger ones because a) they don't need them and b) too many parts already.

Can you export it back to .22 and weld it?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Madox posted:

Can any one help explain some navball issues to me as well - When I am landed on the Mun, for example, and I need to take off in such a way to meet another ship in orbit, I can see the exact direction to take off on the map view, but that doesn't translate at all to the numbers on the navball and it comes down to random guessing.

I can go straight up until I get enough time to play with a maneuver node, but I want to be more efficient :)

EightBit posted:

North on the navball is what we think of as South on Earth. No, I don't know why. East is 90 degrees, West 270. This applies to all bodies.

Mun orbits on a 90 degree heading from Kerbin's surface.

John_A_Tallon posted:

The navball always uses the local body as its reference. If you're orbiting Kerbin, then it's using Kerbin's horizon and headings. If you're over the Mun, then it's using the Mun's. If you're interplanetary, then it uses the sun's.

To expand on this somewhat, you also have to take into account how your command pod is pointed.

When you build a ship in the VAB and then roll it out to the pad, the pod is set (from the Kerbals inside's perspective) so the "front" is up and the "top" is pointed South. This results in the Nav ball looking like it has North/South reversed when on the pad.

Now you can rotate the command pod 180 degrees while building your rocket the controls will still be the same for pitching, yawing, and rolling but the nav ball will look "correct" for the default camera orientation.

If you build your rocket and then rotate the whole thing 90 degrees (so the Kerbals heads are pointed east) before you launch it (or do it STS style and rotate after launch), that would be the most realistic.

Why KSP has the pod set like it does in the VAB probably dates back to the early days of the game but is not realistic.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If you rotate the pod by 180 degrees north and south will appear "correct", but east and west will be swapped. The blue side of the navball is like looking at a compass from underneath, which means two of the directions will be swapped regardless of how you turn it. If you are in love with looking at a compass from the top you can always mount your command pod upside down, then you'll get the brown side of the navball.

The space shuttle having "up" point east is purely a thrust geometry concern. On a conventional rocket stack the command pod can be oriented any way you like because a gravity turn doesn't give much lateral G-force. Having "up" point south is no more unrealistic than having it point east, west, or norty-by-northwest.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lord Yod posted:

Can you export it back to .22 and weld it?

No, welding does very little for it sadly (I tried in 0.22, 0.23 and 0.23.5 with Ubizo(sp) welding) because it fails on engines. It can't do decouplers, sas or mulitples of anything with a function really. I got a few things to work but the connection nodes or CoM would be way off and I ended up binning them. You could probably safely weld the tanks and save a few parts but the big counts are struts and sepatrons which you can't weld. You can go with no sepatrons but you have to be really careful and somewhat lucky how you stage to make it in one piece.

Keeping it close to stock makes it more useful for passing around anyway. Here's the zip, I'll probably tune some of them a bit yet but they're working and handy. Just don't attach them until you're almost ready to roll because they don't half lag up your VAB ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71576136/KSP/PlatePack.zip

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

I've found an issue with my orbital matching algorithm. (Well, less of an issue with the matching algorithm, and more of an issue with the generator.) Namely, orbits can generate with inclinations greater than 180 for satellite contracts. The long and short of it means that if a contract generates with a higher inclination than 180, KSP negotiates the inclination and flips the LAN around 180 degrees, but this won't be visible on the orbit, as the orbits are technically identical.

If anybody has had issues matching certain satellite contracts, this is probably what is going on. I'm working on it, but I've had to take some breaks the last day or so, as this orbital stuff is killing my brain.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 14, 2014

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Zaran posted:

So after escaping the large robot that stopped them from launching rockets, the Kerbals finally got to the moon....

:eyepop:

I might look into the karbonite mods. Has the OP been updated to reflect this magical, marvelous new revolution in modding and x64 modding? Trawling through the thread(and around special eyes chat) for links should really be minimized.

And that 21x9 massive monitor is gorgeous, the near future of monitors looks promising. Though I might wait for LEDs, because a screen that massive in a tiny gooncave also doubles as a space heater :science:

Or 120hz. Because there's never a drawback to 120hz if you can get it.

Arsonide posted:

I've found an issue with my orbital matching algorithm. (Well, less of an issue with the matching algorithm, and more of an issue with the generator.) Namely, orbits can generate with inclinations greater than 180 for satellite contracts. The long and short of it means that if a contract generates with a higher inclination than 180, KSP negotiates the inclination and flips the LAN around 180 degrees, but this won't be visible on the orbit, as the orbits are technically identical.

If anybody has had issues matching certain satellite contracts, this is probably what is going on. I'm working on it, but I've had to take some breaks the last day or so, as this orbital stuff is killing my brain.

So a retrograde orbit as opposed to a prograde? I'm sure there's a maneuver to go from one to the other, but can't recall the name at present.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Mistle posted:

So a retrograde orbit as opposed to a prograde? I'm sure there's a maneuver to go from one to the other, but can't recall the name at present.

No this is different...it's hard to explain...the orbit is visually and mathematically identical, but the numbers stored in the orbit structure within KSP are higher than 180, and these are the numbers I use to match the orbit with. It isn't going the other way, the inclination and LAN have flipped. It's identical, the numbers are just different.

KSP sees these numbers and properly wraps them around. My matching code does not.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 14, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Just take the result of the generated orbit's LAN modulus 180.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

EightBit posted:

Just take the result of the generated orbit's LAN modulus 180.

I did some tests with the save files, LAN internally goes from 0 to 360, inclination goes 0 to 180, and from what I can tell, %180 isn't going to cut it, as it goes up to 180 and then starts going down again from 180, rather than wrapping around to zero.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 14, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Arsonide posted:

I did some tests with the save files, LAN internally goes from 0 to 360, inclination goes 0 to 180.

I misread you, woops.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

inclination = 180-abs(LAN-180) ?

I honestly don't understand your problem fully but that maps an input LAN that goes from 0 to 360 to an output that goes from 0 to 180 then back down to 0.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%3D180-abs%28x-180%29+from+x%3D0+to+360

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Lansdowne posted:

inclination = 180-abs(LAN-180) ?

I honestly don't understand your problem fully but that maps an input LAN that goes from 0 to 360 to an output that goes from 0 to 180 then back down to 0.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%3D180-abs%28x-180%29+from+x%3D0+to+360

That's not the issue. Inclination and Longitude of Ascending Node (LAN) are two totally different things, so it's not a matter of directly mapping one to the other. Inclination is the angle of the orbit with respect to the equator, at the Ascending Node, which is where the orbit crosses the equator, while heading north. LAN is the Longitude of that Ascending Node.

The problem is that orbits aren't supposed to have Inclinations over 180, which is an exactly equatorial retrograde orbit. As you would rotate the orbit past 180, your Ascending Node flips to the other side of the planet (180 degrees away), and now your Inclination is measured from there, and it starts going back down.

I'd imagine the easiest solution is to simply never generate a target orbit with inclination over 180. The version of Fine Print on GitHub, for random orbits, generates inclinations of up to 72 degrees, but then has a 50% chance of multiplying it by -1, then a 50% chance of adding 180. I don't understand the purpose of either of those operations, as they can result in inclinations that are negative, or over 180, neither of which make sense as far as I can tell.

If the intent is to have a chance for retrograde orbits, you can swap a prograde orbit to its corresponding retrograde orbit with:

inclination = 180 - inclination
LAN = (LAN + 180) % 360

eth0.n fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 14, 2014

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

eth0.n posted:

The version of Fine Print on GitHub, for random orbits, generates inclinations of up to 72 degrees, but then has a 50% chance of multiplying it by -1, then a 50% chance of adding 180. I don't understand the purpose of either of those operations, as they can result in inclinations that are negative, or over 180, neither of which make sense as far as I can tell.

At the time I was under the impression that inclinations from -180 to 180 were possible, initially it went up to 90, then multiplied it by -1 or flipped it. When I added polar orbits I lowered it a bit. I knew that adding 180 wouldn't mean much because KSP would autoresolve the difference, as it does. Thing is, it autoresolves it on the fly, rather than saving a good value, it rotates it around each time it uses it, and saves the bad value. Basically a misunderstanding.

Should get fixed soon.

eth0.n posted:

I'd imagine the easiest solution is to simply never generate a target orbit with inclination over 180.

This was the plan.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 14, 2014

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Hey, so in the interest of conserving explosion bucks research funds, I threw two pairs of parachutes on each set of boosters that drop off as my rocket makes its way out of Kerbin's atmosphere, which slows them down enough that the engines all blow up, but 3-4 of the $12,000 tanks remain intact. However, they're never there when I get to orbit then go to do my cleanup. Is the game just deleting them as "debris" when I get more than 2.2km away from them? I'd like to be rewarded for my frugality, but if that means having to strap a probe core to every single one I'm not sure it's worth it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samsquamsch posted:

Is the game just deleting them as "debris" when I get more than 2.2km away from them? I'd like to be rewarded for my frugality, but if that means having to strap a probe core to every single one I'm not sure it's worth it.

Yes, and a probe core wouldn’t help.

There are a couple of mods that do, though, namely DebRefund and StageRecovery.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Platystemon posted:

Yes, and a probe core wouldn’t help.

There are a couple of mods that do, though, namely DebRefund and StageRecovery.

Thanks, downloaded DebRefund, seems pretty straightforward. Also I'm giving in, and getting Protractor.

e: Protractor's incredible, really handy piece of equipment to have.

Samsquamsch fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 14, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Samsquamsch posted:

Thanks, downloaded DebRefund, seems pretty straightforward. Also I'm giving in, and getting Protractor.

e: Protractor's incredible, really handy piece of equipment to have.

Plus you can't beat the part's very kerbal aesthetic.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Karbonite's pretty rad you guys.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Can Karbonite convert the resource to regular oxidiser and liquid fuel or can it only be used with the special Karbonite engines?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

VodeAndreas posted:

Can Karbonite convert the resource to regular oxidiser and liquid fuel or can it only be used with the special Karbonite engines?

The Converter can produce LF and Ox, yeah.

E: Plus its a very open system so other people can easily add new resources (like the Diamond one posted earlier)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Excellent. I've got a Jool space station now but refuelling it manually is a pain in the rear end and not very efficient. Lowering its orbit a bit and adding some Karbonite modules sounds like a preferable alternative.

e: Particle collector arrays connected and tested OK at my Kerbin station, slow but free fuel! Now to get them out to Jool.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 14, 2014

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The MKS logistics module is awesome with Karbonite because you don't need to keep flying your miner up and down to ferry fuel into orbit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VodeAndreas posted:

You can covert it to LF/O and xenon/monoprop.

Also the karbonite engines are hella fun, they're about 150 ISP but the small one has about 600kN thrust, the 2.5m one has about 3000kN. They go like the loving clappers, it's great.

They also added generators in the recent version which is handy for MKS/Interstellar/Station Science.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Spookydonut posted:

The MKS logistics module is awesome with Karbonite because you don't need to keep flying your miner up and down to ferry fuel into orbit.

Is that the pod one (Logistics Hub)? I never tried to use it. What does it do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you put one on a craft, you can use its interface to transfer any resource from the craft, to any other craft within the sphere of influence of the local body. It deducts fuel/oxidiser to do this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

Excellent. I've got a Jool space station now but refuelling it manually is a pain in the rear end and not very efficient. Lowering its orbit a bit and adding some Karbonite modules sounds like a preferable alternative.

e: Particle collector arrays connected and tested OK at my Kerbin station, slow but free fuel! Now to get them out to Jool.

Bear in mind that they won't work while unfocused. It's something the dev is investigating but for now you need to stay focused to collect the gas.

OwlFancier posted:

If you put one on a craft, you can use its interface to transfer any resource from the craft, to any other craft within the sphere of influence of the local body. It deducts fuel/oxidiser to do this.

I may need to check out MKS.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

If you place x number of parts at once using symmetry mode, is there a way to remove any of those parts individually after, as opposed to it removing all the placed items?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

thunderspanks posted:

If you place x number of parts at once using symmetry mode, is there a way to remove any of those parts individually after, as opposed to it removing all the placed items?

Not in the stock game. You could try this mod. I haven't tried it, though, so no guarantees.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKfn6TRBinI

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Bear in mind that they won't work while unfocused. It's something the dev is investigating but for now you need to stay focused to collect the gas.

Yep, read that bit in this thread already.

It'll give me something to idle at while I'm waiting for transfer windows.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

491 parts. Nearly 20K dv. 1.6 million funds. Eve return mission is a go. As soon as I get used to doing a gravity turn at 1/3 real time.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Am I alone in thinking that this wouldn't be an entirely terrible thing if only there were better music options to listen to while space-idling?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mistle posted:

Am I alone in thinking that this wouldn't be an entirely terrible thing if only there were better music options to listen to while space-idling?

Turn the music down and toss on Pandora or Spotify or something. I've fallen asleep to the in-game music more times than I care to admit.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

There's a mod that lets you play with the soundtrack. I added EVE's music.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's the highest I can scoop karbonite from jool? gently caress low orbits there.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's the highest I can scoop karbonite from jool? gently caress low orbits there.

Edge of atmosphere +10% I believe.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Jool
The wiki says Jool's atmosphere goes to 138km, so highest scoop distance should be ~151km

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

Edge of atmosphere +10% I believe.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Jool
The wiki says Jool's atmosphere goes to 138km, so highest scoop distance should be ~151km

That's for the particle collectors. The scoops need to be in the actual atmosphere to work.

• Locked thread