Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Were the BF4 addons downloading retardedly slow for anyone else? like 24 hours for a 3 gig download. I downloaded The Last of Us in less than an hour, what gives? I know my download speed is good, not sure why BF4 stuff is downloading so slow and its just getting slower. Was at 20 hours now its up to 26...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mustang posted:

Were the BF4 addons downloading retardedly slow for anyone else? like 24 hours for a 3 gig download. I downloaded The Last of Us in less than an hour, what gives? I know my download speed is good, not sure why BF4 stuff is downloading so slow and its just getting slower. Was at 20 hours now its up to 26...

Cancel the download and try again. You got a bad server. This happens all the time on PS4.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

echronorian posted:

It's a lot of trial and error. A little too much for me honestly. I dig the style and the town area a lot and it made me wish it was a old school isometric rpg.

The randomness(?) does seem to be a big part of it. I started a new run and was doing pretty well (starting levels with 150+ energy) when of course at level 4 I'm seeing rooms filled with those evil spirits that you can step on for -15 energy (or that attack you for -30!) At least now I'll never forget how you're supposed to deal with those things. Wolves, on the other hand, I'm still clueless about...

havenwaters posted:

Some day we'll get folders. Some day...

I'd love a grid. I know they're trying to be clean with it but it's just so much wasted space.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

timeandtide posted:

Reviewers who have played it are saying that inFamous First Light is "about 5 hours" long plus a horde mode, which I'd say isn't too bad for DLC like that. I was expecting 2, honestly.

I kind of hope it's successful enough they decide to do one for Eugene and Reggie*, too.

*which should be a "backwoods police" sim about trying to keep your little brother out of trouble and arresting drunks

Also a Platinum which was honestly a bit surprising

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Any time I try to use Playstation support it drives me up the wall. I got the 14-day PSN+ trial because why the gently caress not, and it says on the page where you "buy" it that it will automatically renew for a year. But then you look at it after you get it and it renews for a month now. But you cannot change that, so you have to cancel and buy the year. But does the year add on to the trial or start straight away? It doesn't say and emails to support are never answered.. so I'll just wait for it to expire and then buy what I want. I know i am being a cheapskate but I yam what I yam. It just boggles the mind that this isn't somewhere on their website, spelt out (and if it is then I can't find it).

The same thing when I just emailed them asking why if I log into the EU site, I see all my trophies, but if I log into the US site, it says I have none. The Rockstar Social Club links with the US site so this is a pain. Nothing in their FAQs about it, and other people mentioned it on forums which had no resolution, so I emailed them. After waiting ages for a reply they basically updated with "we don't know, call us".

Moan moan moan.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
UI sucks. can wait until i can scroll down instead of right.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

shmee posted:

Any time I try to use Playstation support it drives me up the wall. I got the 14-day PSN+ trial because why the gently caress not, and it says on the page where you "buy" it that it will automatically renew for a year. But then you look at it after you get it and it renews for a month now. But you cannot change that, so you have to cancel and buy the year. But does the year add on to the trial or start straight away? It doesn't say and emails to support are never answered.. so I'll just wait for it to expire and then buy what I want. I know i am being a cheapskate but I yam what I yam. It just boggles the mind that this isn't somewhere on their website, spelt out (and if it is then I can't find it).

The same thing when I just emailed them asking why if I log into the EU site, I see all my trophies, but if I log into the US site, it says I have none. The Rockstar Social Club links with the US site so this is a pain. Nothing in their FAQs about it, and other people mentioned it on forums which had no resolution, so I emailed them. After waiting ages for a reply they basically updated with "we don't know, call us".

Moan moan moan.

It does add on to the trial, it behaved that way when I subbed after activating my 30 day trial or whatever.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is that first light or whatever it's called DLC thing for second son standalone or do I need the disc? Thinking about trading it in for something, I haven't touched it since my evil play through.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cat doter posted:

Is that first light or whatever it's called DLC thing for second son standalone or do I need the disc? Thinking about trading it in for something, I haven't touched it since my evil play through.

Standalone

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Rinkles posted:

Standalone

Good!

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

Steve2911 posted:

A Silent Hill game with the minds behind this;

And this;

I will never complete this game. I will buy it, play it, maybe get 5 minutes past the title screen, take it out of the console, put it in its box, put the box in a cupboard, then burn the cupboard.

I'm ambivalent about these new Silent Hill guys.

Del Toro is a massively overrated director. I mean, Pan's Labyrinth was pretty much the definition of "cool idea, but with unfocused and underwhelming execution." The whole "Pale Man" sequence is certainly horrifying when depicted in screenshots, but seeing it in motion was one of the most ridiculously hilarious things I've ever witnessed. Not scary in the least. And what else has he done besides that and like Pacific Rim and stuff?

And this other guy, Kojima? I don't know much about him other than he's the dude who does all those metal gear games, which have always looked too DUDEBRO TOUGH GUY SNAKE THINGS GUNS AND STUFF EYEPATCH to really appeal to me. Maybe he's great, I dunno; his stuff has never aesthetically looked like any fun. And what the heck would he know about doing horror? Those aren't horror games, right?

And why is the title pluralized? Silent Hills?

I mean... :stare: It's the name of the town, dude. Don't get cute with it!

Man I don't think I've ever posted this much about video games before. It's just that Silent Hill 2/3 were some of my favorite games of all time to the point where I cosplayed as Heather for like 3 halloweens in a row, and basically I just wish we'd get more of that and not just some new grizzled eyepatch guy. :(

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

DarkJC posted:

It does add on to the trial, it behaved that way when I subbed after activating my 30 day trial or whatever.

I like you DarkJC, thanks for that! I don't know why I can't get that from their website.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Master difficulty has turned Resogun from a arcade shmup to a bullet hell shooter. I now have Ikaruga music playing over in my head while I play.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nika posted:

And why is the title pluralized? Silent Hills?

I think it's a play on Silent Hill5. Also given the "looping" nature of the PT demo, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some similar sort of concept in the actual game of multiple realities.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Standalone

To clarify, does this mean that if I don't have SS anymore, I can still play and enjoy first light?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

You can play First Light without Second Son with no problems. If the game detects a save game on your hard drive, Delsin will be available in their horde mode as a playable character.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nika posted:

I'm ambivalent about these new Silent Hill guys.
This whole rant is the Worst Post.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Surlaw posted:

This whole rant is the Worst Post.

Yeah it's been a while since I've seen someone with the exact opposite of my own reaction to something. I gave up as soon as Del Toro = Overrated came up though. Not okay yo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've never seen someone go "I've never played these games, but" and then proceed to fail at guessing what they are quite so spectacularly.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Nika posted:

Man I don't think I've ever posted this much about video games before. It's just that Silent Hill 2/3 were some of my favorite games of all time to the point where I cosplayed as Heather for like 3 halloweens in a row, and basically I just wish we'd get more of that and not just some new grizzled eyepatch guy. :(

Post the pics

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I really loved the eyepatch on Not Daryl in the teaser personally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nika posted:

And this other guy, Kojima? I don't know much about him other than he's the dude who does all those metal gear games, which have always looked too DUDEBRO TOUGH GUY SNAKE THINGS GUNS AND STUFF EYEPATCH to really appeal to me. Maybe he's great, I dunno; his stuff has never aesthetically looked like any fun. And what the heck would he know about doing horror? Those aren't horror games, right?

Maybe you could actually look up stuff instead of going "I don't know anything about this but I bet it sucks and all he does are grizzled eyepatch guys!"

Here is the protagonist of Metal Gear Solid 2:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 14, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Obsurveyor posted:

I liked it at first but the more I played, the more I started to not like it. poo poo is just too random. It'd be way more interesting if they were puzzle levels you had to solve instead of just arbitrary crap.

Some of the maps are procedural and a lot of them are hand-made.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ho ho ho, looks like I am one of the lucky ones who can't run Hohokum on my PS4. Good times? Not for me. :grumpycat:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ultimate Mango posted:

Ho ho ho, looks like I am one of the lucky ones who can't run Hohokum on my PS4. Good times? Not for me. :grumpycat:

I talked to a support guy and he said the PSN guys are working on it. Nothing to do but wait I guess. Sucks because it looks like a great time.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe you could actually look up stuff instead of going "I don't know anything about this but I bet it sucks and all he does are grizzled eyepatch guys!"

Also no eye patches in MGS1, the villain has one in 2, you get one in the last 3 hours of so of 3, Snake has a thing that LOOKS like an eye patch in 4 but it isn't.

Only Peace Walker, Metal Gear Rising and Ground Zeros have the main dude rocking an eye patch for most of the game

Oh and bonus points: Neither Snatcher or Policenauts (I think) have mains with eye patches

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Dudebro gun prettybro scissor 61

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I do enjoy the suspicion that MGS is a DUDEBRO TOUGHGUY series when I'm sure it has the most crying scenes and family drama story arcs of any AAA franchise

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Fragger posted:

Also no eye patches in MGS1, the villain has one in 2, you get one in the last 3 hours of so of 3, Snake has a thing that LOOKS like an eye patch in 4 but it isn't.

Only Peace Walker, Metal Gear Rising and Ground Zeros have the main dude rocking an eye patch for most of the game

Oh and bonus points: Neither Snatcher or Policenauts (I think) have mains with eye patches

Thanks for setting the record straight re: the eyepatch situation.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Ahahahahah. Oh, the 'sanctity' of the silent Hill franchise. Ahahahah.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

Chemondelay posted:

Thanks for setting the record straight re: the eyepatch situation.

Eyepatches are very important to me

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

ImpAtom posted:

Fair point.

quote:

That's this guy, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_(Metal_Gear)#Reception

Well I did just spend a few minutes reading about him, and the apparently overwhelmingly negative reception to him being too much of a 'sissy' and 'androgynous' explains a lot of my misgivings about the overt masculinity that people expect--and normally get--in a game series like that. I'm not outright condemning the whole thing--it's just not for me. Most of us want to play games with protagonists that we can identify with to at least some extent.

I'm sorry my opinion riled so many of you up, but not everyone wants to play Snake Plissken: The Video Game. And if I've totally misunderstood the real drama and intrigue of the series, well then that's my own terrible loss to bear. :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nika posted:

Well I did just spend a few minutes reading about him, and the apparently overwhelmingly negative reception to him being too much of a 'sissy' and 'androgynous' explains a lot of my misgivings about the overt masculinity that people expect--and normally get--in a game series like that.

It is a franchise where two of the most-advertised features of the latest game are A) Kidnapping sheep with a parachute and B) Hiding in a variety of cardboard boxes that you can upgrade to be more ridiculous cardboard boxes. The assumption that it is a serious super-manly game could not be more off the mark.

Hideo Kojima is also responsible for this game:

Also a fun fact:
Hideo Kojima's sole contribution to the new Castlevania franchise was to tell them to make the protagonist prettier and less grizzled. They originally intended it to be a big beefy Barbarian dude. Hideo Kojima is someone who demonstrably has recommended to developers that they make their protagonists less grizzled and overly sheer-masculine.

Nika posted:

I'm sorry my opinion riled so many of you up, but not everyone wants to play Snake Plissken: The Video Game. And if I've totally misunderstood the real drama and intrigue of the series, well then that's my own terrible loss to bear. :)

Your opinion 'riled people up' because it's straight-up wrong and your response seems to be "well, I don't care, I bet it's still what I think it is!"

You know one of the big features of Metal Gear Solid? It's possible to go through the games without killing anyone. The PSX game forced you to kill bosses but ever since then he's gone out of his way to put non-lethal options in the game which are required if you want to get a good score at the end of the game. Kojima is actually really big on the concept of not-killing despite having a weird hard-on for military hardware as a thing to fan over, and most of his games have a strongly anti-military/anti-violent tone to them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 14, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Nika posted:

Fair point.

That's this guy, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_(Metal_Gear)#Reception

Well I did just spend a few minutes reading about him, and the apparently overwhelmingly negative reception to him being too much of a 'sissy' and 'androgynous' explains a lot of my misgivings about the overt masculinity that people expect--and normally get--in a game series like that. I'm not outright condemning the whole thing--it's just not for me. Most of us want to play games with protagonists that we can identify with to at least some extent.

You have also never played a Metal Gear Solid game? Jesus.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I do enjoy the suspicion that MGS is a DUDEBRO TOUGHGUY series when I'm sure it has the most crying scenes and family drama story arcs of any AAA franchise

More dudebro series need to have hacker sidekicks, sunny-side-up eggs, philosophical questions occurring in the middle of a sniper battle, rampant shadow governments basically setting up what is the current NSA, nude cartwheels, pee jokes, issues of Penthouse, supermodels put into weird bodysuits that echo previous bosses, cardboard boxes, high-heeled cyborg ninjas, bisexual vampires, a hand that controls people, but then doesn't control people, you see he was self-hypnotizing himself for some reason, a recurring four-game, decade-hopping, time travelling poo poo joke, talk about Godzilla movies, PRESS R1 TO BE A PERV, a fat man on rollerskates tossing C4, shamanistic men with miniguns, and a smoking, drinking monkey in a diaper, all while costing multiple tens of millions of dollars to create each and every time out.

I think I hit only like 10% of the weirdness of Metal Gear games there.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite thing about metal gear is how ungodly lovely these superweapons are at killing one dude

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

univbee posted:

Officially you need a U.S. Billing Address, but you can use PSN money codes you buy from Amazon.com with a fake U.S. Billing address, and I'm talking "you will pay $50 instead of 50 pounds" cheaper, although you will lose the ability to play most games in German and Italian. :qq:

You will also have to be consistent, like buying U.S. DLC for the U.S. games you buy as they're not cross-compatible.

Thanks for the info. Is there any way you could lose your purchased stuff in the future (if anyone knows this). Do you first have to make a new psn account that says you are in the US?

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

ImpAtom posted:

Also a fun fact:
Hideo Kojima's sole contribution to the new Castlevania franchise was to tell them to make the protagonist prettier and less grizzled. They originally intended it to be a big beefy Barbarian dude. Hideo Kojima is someone who demonstrably has recommended to developers that they make their protagonists less grizzled and overly sheer-masculine.

I'm not saying the guy is some kind of terrible ogre. I did think this bit from the Raiden Wikipedia article was interesting:

quote:

Kojima received much fan mail; one letter was from a girl who stated she did not want to play a game with an old man. He took this into consideration; he and his team designed a character more appealing to women, resulting in Raiden's appearance.

I think that's pretty cool, and definitely supports what you're saying. It's just that I don't follow a video game series super closely if it doesn't seem all that interesting, and the metal gear series never seemed designed/marketed towards someone like me. That's all I'm saying. I am fully willing to admit that my impression of a game I have never played is not congruent with the reality of it, but I don't think there's any reason to be this harsh about it either.

edit, also:

echronorian posted:

Ahahahahah. Oh, the 'sanctity' of the silent Hill franchise. Ahahahah.

It's true that most of the games since 3 have been a super crap fest, and admittedly I overreacted when I saw names attached to the reboot of the series that weren't Akira Yamoaka.

Nika fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 14, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Save Russian Jews posted:

My favorite thing about metal gear is how ungodly lovely these superweapons are at killing one dude
Well yeah, they were designed to scare governments, not beat a single guy crawling around in a cardboard box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

One of my favorite parts of Rising is listening to the countless codec calls and cutscenes laying out precisely why Metal Gears are a really dumb rear end concept that quickly became irrelevant once small AI-driven machines and cyborgs became known. Doktor really hammers into it at times.

• Locked thread