Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

He was considered as a possible VP nominee.

Was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Von Sloneker posted:

Jake Tapper just retweeted this from someone going by https://twitter.com/crissles

https://vine.co/v/MYXgJYxlX9h

I actually don't think that's from Ferguson. Not sure exactly what the story is, but somehow it fits right in.

That looks like DC's bus signs.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 593 days!

tatankatonk posted:

Oakland PD shot an Iraq vet in the head with a tear gas grenade and put him in a coma during Occupy, and the rest of the country's reaction was still "Maybe those anarchists shouldn't mess with the bull if they don't want the horns!!"

Sometimes I think occupy came to early, I think more Americans would be sympathetic to them now, more years of high unemployment, no jobs, continued grinding down of the middle class.

More people seem aware of how wrong things are now then before. Now perhaps this was in part because of Occupy, but I don't really think so.

The economy has not really improved for most of America, and every day it stays bad, technically should be another day the message of occupy types would resonate stronger.

That being said, Occupy didn't so itself many favors to appeal to a wider audience at the time. One drat picture of drum circle is enough to make half the country close the article, and wait for a more "respectable" movement.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

He was considered as a possible VP nominee.

Was.

Is this supposed to be damaging? If he associates himself with the police response he will be a primary spoiler at the least.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Via @mattdpearce

STL County Police Chief Belmar: "We've done everything we can to demonstrate a remarkable amount of restraint."

If you consider "everything short of gunning down protesters en masse (including gunning them down with rubber bullets en masse" to require a lot of restraint, I guess

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

^Woops, I was a bit late with that.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I understand that others don't share my (perhaps undeserved) optimism and hope, but I its important that despair doesn't keep people from trying to change things for the better.

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011

You ever seen a pig sweat?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Got threatened by some bloods or something

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMwa5Onm2CA "This is no longer a peaceful protest"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Via @mattdpearce

STL County Police Chief Belmar: "We've done everything we can to demonstrate a remarkable amount of restraint."

If you consider "everything short of gunning down protesters en masse (including gunning them down with rubber bullets en masse" to require a lot of restraint, I guess

Yeah, I read that and immediately had to resist the urge to punch my screen.

"A remarkable amount of restraint." seems so include not quite directly hitting reporters with teargas canisters.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Via @mattdpearce

Hey now, I'm sure they had a predator drone or two they kept locked up.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

This serves as a good reminder that the drug war is at the heart of this mess.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LJONESRYDA posted:

You ever seen a pig sweat?

Don't think for a moment there isn't as much pressure to use live-fire, as there is to not.

E:

Neo Duckberg posted:

Got threatened by some bloods or something

Its time to leave, whiteboy. This ain't your time to speak. This is your time to listen.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Are the cops protecting city hall or the police station or something like that? Where are they stopping people from going?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The first three comments alone say a lot about America:

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Animal-Mother posted:

Are the cops protecting city hall or the police station or something like that? Where are they stopping people from going?

Anywhere. It's called kettling.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
@antoniofrench, one of the biggest voices on Twitter for #Ferguson has been arrested. No info yet on why or how.

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

They are stopping the people from going anywhere, if you are not in your home at this point, you can be arrested. No questions asked.

That is of course while you are you harassed by LRAD, Flashbangs, CS, Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, Tasers, Batons, and foul language.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Animal-Mother posted:

Outside the quarantine zone. Its a nice square between the highways.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The first three comments alone say a lot about America:

Youtube comments = America, good to know.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

armoredgorilla posted:

@antoniofrench, one of the biggest voices on Twitter for #Ferguson has been arrested. No info yet on why or how.

His twitter feed is full of vines that look like a warzone. https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm

armoredgorilla posted:

They're now arresting elected officials. Holy gently caress.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

armoredgorilla posted:

I'd bet money that Twitter played a part in this by diming him out to the police with location or IP info.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Looks like the protestors are fighting each other now. Cops are leaving

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm hella late on this but Gov. Jay Nixon is finally acknowledging something is happening.

https://twitter.com/GovJayNixon/status/499763706297741313

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Fried Chicken posted:

I like how you had to deliberately cut out the sentences before that where he was talking about the governor, as he has for most of this

His posts are confusing as gently caress and I can't tell what he's talking about or why he's talking about it, is my point.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
What do the police expect to gain from the arrest of an alderman? It's not like he's going to shut up after he gets released.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Adjunct Cheesecake posted:

I wonder if they're aware? Higher ups sure seemed frazzled when they found out some of their goons were roughing up reporters. Probably not, they've been about as subtle as cavemen thus far.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/499705370794020864/photo/1

e: whoops, big pic (of police sniper)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Adjunct Cheesecake posted:

During the press conference earlier today ...

https://vine.co/v/MYXPAb9XIqZ

The response to her question was "I hope not."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

armoredgorilla posted:

During the press conference earlier today ...

https://vine.co/v/MYXPAb9XIqZ

The response to her question was "I hope not."

I feel bad, considering the circumstances, but I got a chuckle out of watching the guy at the mic visibly wince at the end.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
A black guy punched me in the face for no reason. Not joking

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Rachel Maddow is live again (it's usually a repeat of the 9pm show) and comparing Ferguson to the Bundy Ranch bullshit.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Neo Duckberg posted:

You should probably not be there anymore.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Neo Duckberg posted:

Probably time to split, dude.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Are we out of livestreams? I'm just following along on twitter

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Neo Duckberg posted:

Again,

Its time to leave, whiteboy. This ain't your time to speak. This is your time to listen.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neo Duckberg posted:

Get the gently caress out, man. Unless you've made some friends in the last few hours, the locals aren't going to have a whole loving lot to say to you. Can't really blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

Rachel Maddow is live again (it's usually a repeat of the 9pm show) and comparing Ferguson to the Bundy Ranch bullshit.

Feds vs. local hick cops? I'd be surprised if there weren't vastly different levels of professionalism and restraint

• Locked thread