Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I was walking my corgi the other day and a couple with a young shiba came up and the shiba leaped 4 feet straight into the air then kissed my corgi on the face. Welp that's my shiba story, seeya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drat, your corgi is 4 feet tall?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SynthOrange posted:

drat, your corgi is 4 feet tall?
Anti-corgi. It's got stilts instead of short legs.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Double Plus Good posted:

A couple brought their shiba to the dog park this weekend and it was so much smaller than I had imagined. It really is hard to get a sense of their size from pictures. Their heads seem smaller than other small breeds, which gives them a more proportional look. It was about the size of this random picture I pulled from Google:

But, yeah, it had a >:| expression the whole time and spent most of its time trying to shake off the little poodle-y dog that was jumping all over it. Also the neckbeardy looking teenager who was there kept calling it a "sheebee"

Yeah, they're not supposed to be big dogs. Males are supposed to be 23 lbs ideally(range 20-25), females 17(15-20). They are a bit leggy for their weight, though. Aiko is 4 months as of a couple days ago and she's so gangly and silly looking right now. For example, here's her at 2 and 4 months:

So much leg growth

Still pretty cute though:

:3:

Klawr Kat
Nov 20, 2013
Cross posting these picks from the mutt thread.

We adopted this girl a few years ago and have been told a variety of things about her lineage, including her being a sharpei mix. Consensus over on the mutt thread seems to be that she's just Chow though.

The sharpei guess seems pretty far off when she looks like she normally does, but then again, that came from a vet who saw her after a horrifying mix-up at the (now ex-)groomer who made her look like this:

My parents and I haven't seen many other Chows, and none of them have had the longer muzzle that our dog seems to have. We weren't sure she was pure Chow mostly because of that, and the fact that her tongue is only mostly blue-black, but I guess it doesn't matter much, since she's not a show dog -only our spoiled little princess.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I wonder if she's a Samoyed-chow mix? Going by the floof and derfy grin, at least. She's very cute. :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Koivunen posted:

Well... OKAY.

I forgot to post pictures, sorry!

Nori enjoyed this winter.

His idiot brother grew up

They pretty much bro around forever.

Nori is going to be two years old on March 23rd.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Klawr Kat posted:

horrifying mix-up at the (now ex-)groomer who made her look like this:

WHY WHY WHY do groomers constantly go to completely shaving a dog right off the bat like that?!? What the hell crazy clientele do they have where it's MORE normal for a person with a big fluff dog to have it completely stripped bald rather than just a bath and a blowout? :argh:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Artie's 14 months old today the not so little devil :)

His new harness says 'Naughty' - It's apt in a cheeky way but people actually were dragging their children away from us this weekend

Klawr Kat your dog looks like a sammy mix to me!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

I was also gonna guess samoyed/chow mix, and that was my boyfriend's guess too. I recommend just saying it's a sammy mix if you ever have to move in to a new place with the dog, though. Chows are on a lot of place's restricted dog list

I hate to see double coated breeds shaved down. All the groomers at my work always look so sad when they have to, but when you're working on commission... :(

Klawr Kat
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks, everyone! I have never really thought about the sammy mix, but after looking at your adorable dogs, it makes a lot more sense to me.

As for the groomer thing, one of the things my mom yelled about was the fact that despite us not being dog experts by a long shot, we know enough to know that shaving a chow/double coated breed like that can cause major health problems. I understand that they have to make a living,but it seems irresponsible not to at least warn the owner that shaving the dog could cause problems.

While her fur was so short, we took as many precautions as we could, including getting her a little vest for walks to prevent sunburn and providing fluffier blankets for her when it was cold. Poor girl stared at herself in the mirror a lot, as though she were wondering if that was really her. The only upside was actually that since the vet listed her as a sharpei mix, we had no problems with our new apartment lease at the time.

Looking forward to posting again this weekend. We are taking her to see snow for the first time on Friday. :D

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011

Hnnnnngh, there's a Samoyed in our puppy class and it's the softest thing and I want one hnnnngh. Pretty sure Yuuna would eat anything weaker than herself though and Sammies seem like such nice(er) dogs compared to my adorable little rear end in a top hat.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

They're generally lovers not fighters but if they have a bust up they definitely can hold their own. Artie's just a wuss

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
A few weeks ago I handled for one of my friends' sled dog races, and I haven't asked permission to post photos of her dogs, but it was a BLAST. I had so much fun. She has eleven Alaskan Huskies and that weekend we raced six of them. She ended up placing really well. While I was waiting at the finish line, a photographer saw that I was a handler, and we got to talking. He took some amazing photos of her and her team coming down a slope through some beautiful tall pines that were covered with snow... I will find out if I can post photos of the race because her dogs are super cute and the photographer's photos turned out beautifully.

A few pictures anyway...

Our team crossing the finish line.

Me waving hello.

A picture at the motel we stayed at, they look like Goliath! E: Sorry, don't know why it's sideways.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
Oh, I love racing huskies. Please, please get your friend to agree to let you post pictures... People on the internet want to live vicariously through her!

Zenithbliss posted:

They're generally lovers not fighters but if they have a bust up they definitely can hold their own. Artie's just a wuss

Freya, the Samoyed I met at puppy class, is just the nicest dog, but there is no way in hell my boyfriend will let me have my own fluffy cloud dog. I think the next one will be either another Shikoku (when Yuuna is old enough I've forgotten what a twat she was as a teenager), some sort suitably macho looking husky cross if we compromise or a Ridgeback if I let him pick the next breed.

What I mean is, please post more pictures of Artie!

Ponyfields fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 14, 2014

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Any one have a recommendation for a good tough pool that can handle dogs? Mine loves walking around in my daughters little hard pull but she's already outgrowing it. Both of them not just the dog.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Oh hey there! I noticed you noticing me.

And I was just wondering.

Can I have a pool?

Once again you will taste man flesh.

Hey whats that.

Kind of small but wooo so nice.

This kinda taste like dog....and Texas.

This dog hates being clean. I also miss her tails curl its all gone now and all thats left is a thick heavy thing she hits me with.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 31, 2014

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

There's an 8 year old CSV for adoption in Colorado! That's the benefit if having such a small breed following, the national club can swoop in and help. The poor dog was given up to a kill shelter and was deemed unadoptable. :( Thankfully, the club's Vice President works at a shelter with more resources and she was able to help the dog and has been working on his food aggression to get him adopted. :) You can read all about the work going into his training here:
http://www.czechoslovakianvlcak.org/rescue

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I bring offerings of Boris being rude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVDpqPeNzFE

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
Today Yuuna fought a Labrador over who got to eat a pile of unattended dog vomit.

Yuuna won.

Whhhhhhy are you doing this to me?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Taking a stroll in a river.

Shakey shakey.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I still want Goliath, but another Sammy first :3:

My boy's all grown up at almost 17 months old

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Oh my god. If Arty was any floofier, I swear the wind would just pluck him right off the ground like a giant dandelion puff with a nose on it :haw:

I love samoyeds and eskimos, they're so soft and cuddly and fluffy - yes this is me after spending the last hour or so on the cute and fluffy parts of the Internet, drunk on kyoot - and if I ever end up getting a dog, I'd probably like it to be one of those breeds.

Also it's kind of hilarious that you can look at his face and see how little actual dog there is under all that white snowy poof :3:

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

Guys is this real can this coat pattern really happen? "Red Fox Shiba" (sorry for the link to clunky-rear end tumblr)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

It's dyed. Adorably dyed.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Yeah, Def dyed and dog weirdos had a meltdown about it. Totally gonna do this to my shiba come halloween :3:

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

That is a pretty good dye job, dang. :3:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

What are Alaskan Klee Kais like as dogs? Are they less of a handful than the bigger sled dog breeds? Are they genetically-suspect disasters like many of the designer poodle mix experiments or similar vanity dogs? Do they have any horrible health issues from being about a third the size of their ancestors? Aggression issues (aside from critter aggression/prey drive, which I already know about)?

My God, they're the most precious things ever. Little bitty 20-pound huskies (and of course, vastly lower space requirements)! :3:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 14, 2014

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

What are Alaskan Klee Kais like as dogs? Are they less of a handful than the bigger sled dog breeds? Are they genetically-suspect disasters like many of the designer poodle mix experiments or similar vanity dogs? Do they have any horrible health issues from being about a third the size of their ancestors? Aggression issues (aside from critter aggression/prey drive, which I already know about)?

My God, they're the most precious things ever. Little bitty 20-pound huskies (and of course, vastly lower space requirements)! :3:

I've met 4 in person, and know 2 pretty well so this is all anecdotal from my experiences. Just like with any designer or mixed breed, it's really hard to tell what their personality is gonna be like, as they're pretty all over the place. The one's I've met seem to be a bit on the timid side overall, though. I absolutely love the one that is at the daycare I work at pretty much daily, but it took a couple months of active effort on my part to get him to warm up to me. That one is pretty lazy but the other one I'm friendly with is more high energy and crazy. You kinda never know what you're gonna get, but overall they seem to have a prim breed personality in being aloof. I like them, though.

Hard to say as far as health issues but I imagine breeding them with consideration for size hasn't been good to their bodies, especially taking them from husky size to mini in 40 odd years. I would expect they'd be prone to at least the issues common with smaller dogs, like luxating patellas. One thing I have noticed between all of the ones I've met has been chronic tear stains of various severity, even if the dog is on medication for it. Also IIRC from reading up on them a while ago, there is no guarantee on which of the 3 sizes(toy mini standard) you'll end up with, and it can be any mix of those in a litter.

So yeah, they're cute(sometimes. Sometimes they come out looking wtf), so if you choose to go that route I recommend researching your breeder very very carefully.

Or you could look at Swedish Vallhunds(at least pictures of them, so cute :3:). Comedy answer: Or just get a shiba. Everyone always thinks mine is a mini husky anyways :argh:.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Thanks for the information. It is not something I would do anytime soon but one day I'd really like to have a "wolfy" looking dog (but not a wolfdog, I wouldn't even want to be near a wolfdog that wasn't separated from me by a wolf-proof barrier) and I certainly would not want to be complicit in unethical breeding practices or do poorly by the dog. Many internet resources give only the upsides of owning a breed without describing any of the vices or difficulties, which I think is extremely irresponsible. This thread provides an invaluable service by not pulling the punches.

quote:

Or just get a shiba. Everyone always thinks mine is a mini husky anyways
I actually did mistake a black and tan Shiba for a sled dog puppy once. :downs:

They sound high-strung even by primitive breed standards though. And the Shiba Scream would make me feel so guilty, even if it isn't my fault or the dog is just excited and not upset. It sounds like it's in pain. :ohdear:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 15, 2014

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Black and Tan makes more sense to mistake for a husky, my dog is a red, and looks like this:

Re: temperament: We lucked out, she is an absolute angel and everyone remarks on how sweet she is, especially for a shiba. She's very much the anti shiba, and that's because we went with a breeder that is part of a circle locally that is trying to move away from the lovely parts of their temperament. She's pretty much content with a couple walks a day and then cuddles with us. It was 1 part luck and 2 parts careful breeder selection. Also she doesn't do the screaming thing much, not even when getting bathed. When it does happen it sure it startling though!

Seriously though, if you like wolfy looking dogs, check out swedish vallhunds:

They're like wolf corgis :kimchi:

Also since this thread hasn't been updated in a while, have an Aiko:

Half dog, half dirt monster, post dog park.

Shortly after :3: (sorry for the instagram filter)

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011

I get asked if my Shikoku is a husky fairly frequently. She's really pretty but is a massive rear end in a top hat. She's very leash reactive, and has pretty poor self control and gets frustrated easily. She can play very nicely off lead with other dogs, but she will also do dick things like bodyslamming other puppies, nipping tails if a dog isn't paying enough attention to her and escalate her play style to one that looks like she's trying to eat the other dog (which freaks some dogs out, idk why.) She also doesn't have an off switch, which means even her best friends get tired of her poo poo eventually.

She's also a resource guarder, so will start poo poo over food/treats/me. And sometimes she just won't tolerate certain dogs. Like miniature schnauzers. Proper sized schnauzers are fine, minis have to be barked at.

On the other hand, she's improved a lot since I got her as a puppy and I haven't asked myself why the gently caress I got a Shikoku for my first dog for, oh... at least 2 months. She is so loving with all people, has an amazing prey drive and will go until you make her stop. Her obedience is coming along leaps and bounds and she is just so funny and devious at times. There's times I could murder her, but I can't ever imagine not having a little rear end in a top hat dog around the house now.

We're hoping to get another one from the same breeder to keep her company in early 2016. :suicide:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ponyfields posted:

On the other hand, she's improved a lot since I got her as a puppy and I haven't asked myself why the gently caress I got a Shikoku for my first dog for, oh... at least 2 months.

Because she's beautiful. :3:

I hope more people start trying to breed the nastier characteristics out of spitzes while preserving their other attributes. "Because it's better for bossing sheep around" is not really an excuse for having reactive, belligerent tendencies in a dog you know is going to be bought as either a pet or a show animal, and nothing else.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
But if we breed Spitzes to behave more nicely, how will other people experience the joy of owning a dog that wants to murder anything smaller than a horse, is incapable of having a functioning relationship with another dog for longer than 10 minutes and couldn't give a poo poo what you want?! Cat ownership would go up exponentially!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

We could let the Pomeranian stay a humongous rear end in a top hat as a compromise.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Woolie Wool posted:

I hope more people start trying to breed the nastier characteristics out of spitzes while preserving their other attributes. "Because it's better for bossing sheep around" is not really an excuse for having reactive, belligerent tendencies in a dog you know is going to be bought as either a pet or a show animal, and nothing else.

Except prims generally don't boss sheep around, they go to EAT the sheep. They were hunting dogs, remember (also cargo dogs...), hence the high prey drive. Badasses that went after bears and boar and birds and poo poo.

As far as Shibas go, they need the three qualities in order to stay true to the original breed according to Japanese and American standards: Kan-i = Brave and Bold (read: rear end in a top hat) Ryosei = good natured (lol but really it means it should bond to a person) Soboku = Purdy and refined.

So the dogs need to be bold, pretty, and "good natured" which basically means be able to put up with poo poo from people. While my dogs may not want love and attention and snuggles, they follow me around the house or yard to just make sure I'm near and to keep tabs on me. They don't do that with guests so much after the initial HI I LOVE YOU WHAT DO YOU HAVE FOR ME NOW if they even get that excited. What's nice to see is that the Shiba from like, 50 years ago still looks like the Shiba today (well, from good breeders, anyway...) I don't want Shibas to lose their snottiness, but the really aggressive cases generally don't come from good lines (when they do, generally the breeder suggests they be culled...)

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

This is not how you burry bones Princess!

Edit. And I don't do pictures well

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 28, 2014

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

Here's the thing: every breed is not appropriate for every owner and household and the solution to that is not "water their temperaments the gently caress down"

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

#TBT!

The top pic is Goliath a few days after we brought him home from the shelter in fall of 2012. The bottom picture is half a year later in the summer of 2013. His hair just keeps on growing, by now his belly hair practically drags on the floor.

He is currently lounging on the floor, taking it easy. He is such a good boy. Turns 11 years old (maybe) this fall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
Goliath is my favourite Malamute, he is so pretty.

Yuuna has just come back from her first holiday.

She got to have walks through a 240 acre nature reserve every day and sniff deer poop. We visited a farm where she got charged by a chicken (the ensuing fight was arguably a win for the chicken in that it only lost a couple of feathers), we took her to a livestock show and she lost her poo poo in the pig barn. It was fun. With lots of training, management, learning and patience Yuuna is turning into the dog I hoped she'd grow to be. Prim puppies though :argh:

Here are some more pictures of the her because.

• Locked thread