Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Rasamune posted:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

SLPD just lobbed tear gas and rubber bullets into a peacefully protesting crowd

This is from over an hour ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Holy poo poo http://fox2now.com/2014/08/13/ferguson-man-claims-he-was-beaten-and-theatened-after-witnessing-tuesday-night-shooting-police/

Guy witnessed that "woman shot in the head" incident last night, says (and so does the news outlet) it was the PD who shot her, then they arrested him for witnessing it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Probably to get us some good information and show that this isn't just about black people, I don't know.

Quoting for posterity. I'm unsure whether, upon reflection, you'll be able to understand how patronizing your attitude comes off.

Let us make these facts clear: This is about race. This is not about police brutality. This is not about enfranchisement. This is not about business. This is not about class struggle and solidarity. This is an issue of race and institutional racism.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Quoting for posterity. I'm unsure whether, upon reflection, you'll be able to understand how patronizing your attitude comes off.

Let us make these facts clear: This is about race. This is not about police brutality. This is not about enfranchisement. This is not about business. This is not about class struggle and solidarity. This is an issue of race and institutional racism.
Is your position that white people should not protest against racism?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Probably to get us some good information and show that this isn't just about black people, I don't know.

thank god we have people like you to make sure we don't focus too much on the issue of race in America

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well Sedan Chair all but called me and Uncle Tom because we had differing opinions on Shrapton (as well as completely missing the point I was making) that's just how they are.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

It's pretty much about race dude. Bundy got a loving red carpet, and that fucker is still not in prison.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why was the guy walking his dog during all of this?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Blue Star posted:

Why was the guy walking his dog during all of this?

A lot of people actively choose not to give a gently caress about what's happening in their community

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

It can't be about all of those things? The millitarization of the police drat well seems relevant. Race is an obvious and primary factor, but it seems bad to consider it the only one.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
I, too, get angry about people's opinions.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Any bets on which side he'll take? Are Missouri Dems actually worth a poo poo?

Quite an easy answer: Kander is on the side of Kander. Now, whether that side benefits more from pressuring for the use of live fire, I prefer not to speculate on hypotheticals.

And worth a poo poo in what way? Better than the alternative? God, yes. Effective at winning elections? Effective at recruiting and organizing? Effective at moderating the Tea Party? Effective at representing their interests?

E:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is your position that white people should not protest against racism?

My position is that the protestors don't need a white knight to speak for them. The police action already speaks that attitude loudly enough.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 14, 2014

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nonsense posted:

A lot of people actively choose not to give a gently caress about what's happening in their community
How short was his skirt?

Most people don't like dog poo poo on their rugs and generally don't expect to get jumped by their own neighbors.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How short was his skirt?

Most people don't like dog poo poo on their rugs and generally don't expect to get jumped by their own neighbors.

Yeah, let's go down anything close to the "he was asking for it" road. We've no reason to believe the guy did anything wrong, although I sure as hell get that people are irrationally angry right now.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

My position is that the protestors don't need a white knight to speak for them. The police action already speaks that attitude loudly enough.
A "White Knight"? Guy wasn't expounding on the White Man's Burden or even giving his opinion on the situation. He attended a anti-racism protest and was occasionally posting what he saw, no different than the twitter feeds everyone is quoting. He got assaulted and your response to that was "Shut up whiteboy."

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Rasamune posted:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

SLPD just lobbed tear gas and rubber bullets into a peacefully protesting crowd

Watch out Doc, the Libyans are coming for their plutonium!

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you ONLY make it about race you invariably kettle your own cause into the US vs THEM mindset that people are already building the stage for. It has to be much broader. It has to be what all Americans, just as human beings, won't stand for top to bottom, on all the relevant issues. Sure, its understandable that people there are very very upset well past the point of irrational anger, but don't condone "I'm Black and Angry so go home honky or we will punch you" as anything but a short term lashing out.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 593 days!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Man, you aren't necessarily wrong, but if you don't see how this attitude is counter-productive I don't know what to tell you.

My Imaginary GF posted:

They need the press to speak for them, everyone does. And if you make it about race exclusively, then that's what the press focuses on, and if you make it about race and have black guys beating up random white dudes, the press is going to cover that aspect of it.

You need the broader support of the people to enact change.

Cesar Cedeno fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 14, 2014

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I mean, did you see how he was dressed? We all know he was asking for it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Another witness to the shooting has come forward, with video of the actual shooting (or at least the tail end of it) : http://www.kmov.com/special-coverage-001/Another-witness-to-Michael-Brown-Jr-shooting-speaks-to-News-4-271139501.html

quote:

Mitchell told News 4 she saw a door close on a police car. An officer was inside and Brown, Jr. was on the outside. She said the two were arm wrestling through the car window. Mitchell said she then tried to pull out her phone to record. Shots then rang out.

“It just didn’t look right for them to be arm wrestling,” Mitchell said. “The first gun shot came from the window, so I just started getting out of the way.”
According to Mitchell, Brown, Jr, began to run away after the first shot was fired.

“After the shot, the kid just breaks away. The cop follows him, kept shooting, the kid’s body jerked as if he was hit. After his body jerked he turns around, puts his hands up, and the cop continues to walk up on him and continues to shoot until he goes all the way down,” Mitchell said.

That's two eyewitnesses stating that the cop basically executed the kid after he had already been shot and was pleading for mercy.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zen death robot posted:

He's also not even from that area and probably looks like a some kind of odd tourist gawking around which is a bit of a problem as well when there are already trust issues going on. He also has no press ID lanyards like, you know, the actual press.

And he never denied he was there previously to hand out his ideologically-tinged literature. This isn't a class-struggle. This is a protest against institutional racism. If he can't understand when he's wanted as an ally and when he's not, he's not an ally.

E:

Cesar Cedeno posted:

They need the press to speak for them, everyone does. And if you make it about race exclusively, then that's what the press focuses on, and if you make it about race and have black guys beating up random white dudes, the press is going to cover that aspect of it.

No.

The black community in St. Louis doesn't need anyone to speak for them. These protests don't need anyone to speak for them. This is the root cause of the protests, the issue that is deeper than just the police action: there is no trust that the community can speak for themselves, as the institutions around them refuse to hear their voice.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 14, 2014

shuiromahou
Feb 23, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Really? Because this poo poo happens all the goddamn time. Maybe one in a hundred incidents get blown up into a national media event due to a combination of truly incompetent policing, photogenic rioting, and a slow news day. 'Cop Shoots Black Teen' should just be a permanent headline. They could save a lot of reporter time by just writing a form story and changing the names and location once a day.

You are right. It should be a permanent headline.So every time this happens the police force of that town has to be looked at .Not every crime that happens deserves a bullet. Some one else on the board said something about wearing video cameras? gently caress yeah we need that. But what we don't need is apathy it shouldn't be a everyday occurrence where you just copy and paste a story. Michael brown was one a kind , just like everyone is. It matters

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because it's important that in the fight against racism we exclude whites?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How short was his skirt?

Oh you're talking about somebody who was assaulted, I thought you were talking about some guy from much earlier who was walking his dog and appeared in the stream, but I didn't know an assault followed that.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Senka ‏@senka 4m
@AntonioFrench being booked now. Not sure what the charge is yet. Was ordered out of his car and arrested because he "didn't listen".

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Accretionist posted:

idk

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Accretionist posted:

Fight Racism. Punch a white person today.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zen death robot posted:

He's also not even from that area and probably looks like a some kind of odd tourist gawking around which is a bit of a problem as well when there are already trust issues going on. He also has no press ID lanyards like, you know, the actual press.

His earlier posts also don't exactly suggest anything other than a naïve "danger tourist" vibe anyway:

Neo Duckberg posted:

I heard there was a riot so I headed to north county to check it out.

Neo Duckberg posted:

It's going to be a fun night, I'm going to get out and enjoy the tea- fresh air.

Neo Duckberg posted:

I will be out tonight and posting in this thread. I think I will introduce the protesters to maoism third-worldism, that should remedy things.

Neo Duckberg posted:

I have infiltrated the area and discovered a burning garbage can. That's loving it.

Neo Duckberg posted:

Update: a resident tried to fight me for taking pictures but a very nice NAACP man saved me

Neo Duckberg posted:

I met a group of black panthers who were concerned for my safety after another guy accused me of being a cop and we had an extremely interesting talk and now I respect them very deeply, to say the least. They really are great people just trying to help out their fellow man. They got some people together to put out the three garbage fires someone started because the fire department obviously wasn't going to. Stand up group of motherfuckers.

Neo Duckberg posted:

gently caress it, I'm on the way. I like bad situations.

Neo Duckberg posted:

I am in front of the cops right now. They used the LRAD on me but I got ear plugs. Checkmate.

Neo Duckberg posted:

Got threatened by some bloods or something

Neo Duckberg posted:

A black guy punched me in the face for no reason. Not joking

None of this shows particular sensitivity to the issue at hand, nor does it suggest he actually is making a particularly bold move that might at least ingratiate himself with the other protesters.

EDIT: There's showing empathy for the issue at hand and then there's getting your daily endorphin rush because you did something dangerous and edgy.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 14, 2014

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 593 days!

My Imaginary GF posted:

If he can't understand when he's wanted as an ally and when he's not, he's not an ally.

this kind of myopic poo poo is like a textbook stereotype of infighting leftists. Waste time picking apart people who are largely on your side instead of the blatant enemy, while forgetting about any larger context or overall goals.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So...are there any good sources right now for keeping up with what's happening right now?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

And he never denied he was there previously to hand out his ideologically-tinged literature.
Can you quote where you're getting this from? Because that Maoism crack was obviously a joke.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

So...are there any good sources right now for keeping up with what's happening right now?

http://www.reddit.com/live/tdrph3y49ftn/

I don't think there are any livesteams. I think MSNBC is covering it as well.

EDIT:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Whoa I didn't know that saying white people should shut the gently caress up, listen to black people, and not tell us how to feel or fight a battle we've been fighting forever was controversial. Welp.

I mean dude didn't have a press pass, or a camera. No wonder they were loving suspicious. He was accused of being under cover more than once.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 14, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Another witness to the shooting has come forward, with video of the actual shooting (or at least the tail end of it) : http://www.kmov.com/special-coverage-001/Another-witness-to-Michael-Brown-Jr-shooting-speaks-to-News-4-271139501.html

That's two eyewitnesses stating that the cop basically executed the kid after he had already been shot and was pleading for mercy.

That gently caress needs to be behind bars.

This girl was smart to stay quiet until she had representation to protect her.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Whoa I didn't know that saying white people should shut the gently caress up, listen to black people, and not tell us how to feel or fight a battle we've been fighting forever was controversial. Welp

It was more the "gently caress off, your help isn't wanted" attitude.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Being in the same area as a black person = not listening to them and telling them to shut up

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

zen death robot posted:

I seriously thought he was joking about the literature. If he wasn't, well, no loving wonder he got punched.

"When I was browsing SA, all I wanted was to be in the poo poo. Then when I was in the poo poo, all I wanted was to be browsing SA again. The only real constant this afternoon has been my unshakable faith in the science of marxism-leninism."

Edit:

Koalas March posted:

Whoa I didn't know that saying white people should shut the gently caress up, listen to black people, and not tell us how to feel or fight a battle we've been fighting forever get out or be subject to random low-level violence was controversial. Welp.

FTFY

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 14, 2014

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It would be an appropriate thing to say if he was taking any position of authority or involvement in the protest at all and not a guy doing really simple observation stuff and sharing it on the internet.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
there is no way neo duckberg was handing out third worldist propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Radbot posted:

Being in the same area as a black person = not listening to them and telling them to shut up

Well the actual residents,activists and black posters posting are saying one thing but no don't listen to what they're saying and keep calling them uncle toms and racists on the sly

edit: you didn't say it specifically but the attitude in general is getting annoying.

• Locked thread