Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
there is no way neo duckberg was handing out third worldist propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Radbot posted:

Being in the same area as a black person = not listening to them and telling them to shut up

Well the actual residents,activists and black posters posting are saying one thing but no don't listen to what they're saying and keep calling them uncle toms and racists on the sly

edit: you didn't say it specifically but the attitude in general is getting annoying.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

chaos rhames posted:

It would be an appropriate thing to say if he was taking any position of authority or involvement in the protest at all and not a guy doing really simple observation stuff and sharing it on the internet.

He was just observing the bloods around him, I don't see what the problem is or anything!

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
There are white people in with the protestors, you loving goons.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Koalas March posted:

Whoa I didn't know that saying white people should shut the gently caress up, listen to black people, and not tell us how to feel or fight a battle we've been fighting forever was controversial. Welp

Yeah, what's controversial about this? It's been demonstrated over and over again that when white people get involved in movements they bring attention and support, but usually at the cost of centering focus on themselves rather than the groups most impacted. Which leads to piss poor, band-aid solutions on problems that in effect sweep them under the rug rather than address the structural, systematic problems. It's been proven that white people are generally incapable of handling criticism or even discussion about racial issues, since society generally safeguards them from having to deal with these things, "leading to a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium."

I don't think it's asking too much for allies to take a backseat and work on supporting or amplifying the voices of the most impacted communities rather than trying to speak for them or impose solutions that have been constructed based on outside experiences or vicarious assumptions. I'm glad to see people of all races assisting in the Ferguson protests, but I can't be mad at the folks on the ground who have had to deal with this poo poo for DECADES taking the extra time to make sure they're not being co-opted or marginalized.

BigRed0427 posted:

So...are there any good sources right now for keeping up with what's happening right now?

Pretty much just twitter. MSM has decided to not cover this up until now besides snippets about riots or protests, although that might change tomorrow since some reporters got arrested today.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 14, 2014

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

It would be an appropriate thing to say if he was taking any position of authority or involvement in the protest at all and not a guy doing really simple observation stuff and sharing it on the internet.

People get angry when you're playing war tourist in their backyard.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Being merely "an observer" isn't demonstrating that you're listening, nor is it showing solidarity.

EDIT:

Koalas March posted:

People get angry when you're playing war tourist in their backyard.

Basically this. Now it's fair to argue that maybe he has the right/moral responsibility to help out and show support and solidarity (perhaps provided that any such support and solidarity is ancillary to the fight rather than drawing attention to his own concerns), but being a war tourist is basically anything but.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 14, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
the people who beat up their white neighbor were racists imo.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Being merely "an observer" isn't demonstrating that you're listening, nor is it showing solidarity.

Still doesn't deserve to be attacked.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Miltank posted:

Seriously its pretty racist to assume that all the cops are white...oh wait, almost all the cops in this community are white.

Vincent Van Goat posted:

Still doesn't deserve to be attacked.

Right, but it also deserves to be mocked when you call black men "bloods" then whine when you get punched during a chaotic and sometimes violent protest.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Miltank posted:

If you're talking about the dog-walker guy, he was beat up by some freaked out teenagers who thought he was a cop, and were then wrestled off by other nearby black citizens.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Miltank posted:

Black people can't technically be racist by the academic definition of the word.

They were bigots, or assholes, and definitely douchebags, but not racists.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Yeah, what's controversial about this? It's been demonstrated over and over again that when white people get involved in movements they bring attention and support, but usually at the cost of centering focus on themselves rather than the groups most impacted. Which leads to piss poor, band-aid solutions on problems that in effect sweep them under the rug rather than address the structural, systematic problems. It's been proven that white people are generally incapable of handling criticism or even discussion about racial issues, since society generally safeguards them from having to deal with these things, "leading to a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium."

I don't think it's asking too much for allies to take a backseat and work on supporting or amplifying the voices of the most impacted communities rather than trying to speak for them or impose solutions that have been constructed based on outside experiences or vicarious assumptions.

thanks for letting us know, next time I see a black I'll run the other way and try not to look it in the eyes

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think it's asking too much for allies to take a backseat and work on supporting or amplifying the voices of the most impacted communities rather than trying to speak for them or impose solutions that have been constructed based on outside experiences or vicarious assumptions. I'm glad to see people of all races assisting in the Ferguson protests, but I can't be mad at the folks on the ground who have had to deal with this poo poo for DECADES taking the extra time to make sure they're not being co-opted or marginalized.

By punching some random-rear end guy the gently caress out?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Another witness to the shooting has come forward, with video of the actual shooting (or at least the tail end of it) : http://www.kmov.com/special-coverage-001/Another-witness-to-Michael-Brown-Jr-shooting-speaks-to-News-4-271139501.html

That's two eyewitnesses stating that the cop basically executed the kid after he had already been shot and was pleading for mercy.

any other links to this? site is getting hammered right now, can`t see any video

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zen death robot posted:

I seriously thought he was joking about the literature. If he wasn't, well, no loving wonder he got punched.

A friend texted me a photo of a white, mid-20s kid handing out 'Revolutionary Marxist Party USA' lit. I asked him several times, directly, if it was him. I did not see any answer other than avoidance, therefore I presumed he was the one handing out the lit.

Its a good thing I'm a conservative Democrat and not a leftist, otherwise I'd continue bickering over speaking for a community rather than listening to the community and trusting that they deserve to have their own voices heard.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

parthenocarpy posted:

any other links to this? site is getting hammered right now, can`t see any video

that link doesn't actually have any of the footage of the shooting. its all after he's dead and the other cops showed up.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

parthenocarpy posted:

The text transcribes everything she said. The video is just of her saying it and a ~5 second clip of a censored out region out her window.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Miltank posted:

there is no way neo duckberg was handing out third worldist propaganda.

Hell no.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Of course, the protesters are disturbed and inflamed by recent events. You take caution when around wild animals or violent, mentally defective children, right?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Can we start calling this a police riot? Because that's what it is.

Pretty much all injuries and property damage over the past two nights have been caused by the police, not the protesters. They've been deliberately instigating and sustaining conflict with their ridiculously heavy-handed presence, and have been caught on tape verbally egging on the crowd hoping for a fight. Whether they get the fight they're looking for or not, every night this week has ended with tear gas and rubber bullets in civilians' backyards anyway. And tonight they're detaining journalists and arresting city aldermen.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

bedpan posted:

Of course, the protesters are disturbed and inflamed by recent events. You take caution when around wild animals or violent, mentally defective children, right?

Nice bait bro.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

A friend texted me a photo of a white, mid-20s kid handing out 'Revolutionary Marxist Party USA' lit. I asked him several times, directly, if it was him. I did not see any answer other than avoidance, therefore I presumed he was the one handing out the lit.
I saw a picture of a guy with some chips on Twitter and I'm going to assume it was you until you fax me your driver's license.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

bedpan posted:

Are you seriously drawing an analogy between racially motivated protestors and "violent, mentally defective children"? :wtc:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Have there been RICO charges filed against a police department before?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Are you seriously drawing an analogy between racially motivated protestors and "violent, mentally defective children"? :wtc:

you fell for it man

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Can we start calling this a police riot? Because that's what it is.

This is great over-time for them, and the county loving hates it and is probably why they're making boneheaded moves to wrap this up.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Teddybear posted:

IIRC an entire circuit court in Miami got RICO'd back in the cocaine cowboy days.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm defending in my post, the knock-out game. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is advocating for violence against random strangers. It's terrible that some random dude got beat up for basically being in the wrong place at the wrong time and it shouldn't have happened. Not excusing it, but emotions are probably running a bit high and people don't know who to trust or how to vent it. I hope it doesn't happen again, because it's wrong and because it hurts the image of the protests in the media.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its a good thing I'm a conservative Democrat and not a leftist, otherwise I'd continue bickering over speaking for a community rather than listening to the community and trusting that they deserve to have their own voices heard.

gently caress that poo poo man, I'm a leftist and I'm right behind you and most of the leftist groups are follow and watch are tto. These people are clowns

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rollofthedice posted:

you fell for it man

Fair enough.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oh yeah, they are probably being paid a lot for this. Forced OT pays even more than normal Overtime.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

bedpan posted:

So you're comparing the protesters to wild animals?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Maoism is distinct from Marxism in terms of ideology. I doubt that any Maoist Third Worldists would actually found a political party in the States, considering the deep-seated ideas about the labour aristocracy amongst them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ComradeCosmobot posted:

He's implying that's what the other guy's implying.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Teddybear posted:

Your belief in the rule of law has been very precious throughout the thread, but if you think that any legal action will be taken against the cops (including the one who shot Michael Brown) then I have really bad news for you. The best you can hope for are some reforms, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 593 days!

Rollofthedice posted:

If you're talking about the dog-walker guy, he was beat up by some freaked out teenagers who thought he was a cop, and were then wrestled off by other nearby black citizens.

let's be honest here, some of the people going out into this mess don't have good intentions (beyond the cops har har).

I really doubt they thought some guy (who lives there) walking his loving dog was an undercover cop.

That's why I don't understand why anyone would seriously want to narrow the support window here and make this myopically about race. It can be largely about race, but it's foolish to say that is the only serious issue here.

making it solely about race and one community, means that any white people that do get beat up there are going to be more the focus of the story then they should be.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

that is one good rear end picture

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

I saw a dude on the livestream wearing a t-shirt with the logo of Revolutionary Communist Party (*Brought To You By Chairman Bob Avakian) so someone out there is representing the Mao.

The guy was black though so probably not our goon who got punched by some Bloods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tCMI0uKbBE

Spiritus Nox posted:

My feeling about this is that it's a violent situation, you know? Doesn't excuse it. Sounds like the Black Panther guys were trying their best to police the protesters, too. But at the end of the day you're walking into a war zone. It just is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

This is great over-time for them, and the county loving hates it and is probably why they're making boneheaded moves to wrap this up.

Partly this, yeah. The county hates it because its bad press. They don't want to put their house in order. Hell, they only retreated tonight after Nixon barked in. Certainly some backroom dealing going on right now.

• Locked thread