Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
This kind of obvious money grab is really kind of lovely, and is getting old after people have been complaining about it since the first LCG releases. I wish that more companies would do something like they did with Mage Wars, and just release something akin to the Core Spell Tome, since they know people don't need more sets of counters and rulebooks, and just want the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DiscipleoftheClaw posted:

This kind of obvious money grab is really kind of lovely, and is getting old after people have been complaining about it since the first LCG releases. I wish that more companies would do something like they did with Mage Wars, and just release something akin to the Core Spell Tome, since they know people don't need more sets of counters and rulebooks, and just want the cards.

At the same time, a majority of players will never buy more than a single core set. FFG has stated time and time again that their main concern with core sets is having playable decks right out of the box while keeping the price at their sweet spot.

Would you rather they release a core set with 1/3rd of the cards for WH40K Conquest and without viable decks that showcase the game or a core box with a $99+ MSRP?

That said, the Netrunner core set could have made those 1-ofs into 2-ofs and made 11 3-ofs into 2-ofs and been fine. They've at least learned from ANR's release that a third core set for all of 11 cards is a bit nutters.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 13, 2014

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.

PJOmega posted:

At the same time, a majority of players will never buy more than a single core set. FFG has stated time and time again that their main concern with core sets is having playable decks right out of the box while keeping the price at their sweet spot.

Would you rather they release a core set with 1/3rd of the cards for WH40K Conquest and without viable decks that showcase the game or a core box with a $99+ MSRP?

That said, the Netrunner core set could have made those 1-ofs into 2-ofs and made 11 3-ofs into 2-ofs and been fine. They've at least learned from ANR's release that a third core set for all of 11 cards is a bit nutters.

Mage Wars had a bunch of playable decks right out of the box, and then they released two separate Core Spell sets afterwards that had multiple copies of the spells from the core set. My issue isn't the contents of the core boxes, which are fine in my experience - my issue is that they choose to not release the cards in the core set without all the other stuff they have to put in the core set to make it playable. I just want to be able to buy the cards in the core set again, at a cheaper price, without having to pay for everything else that has to go into the core set to make the game playable.

With a game like conquest, where there are so many 1xes by the nature of having so many different decks in the core box, they could easily release faction packs if you want to pick up more copies of the cards for each faction, for example. But chances are they won't do it, because they know that the people who are interested in building competitive decks will suck it up and buy multiple core boxes.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So how does this buying multiple starter deck things work? I just want to play these games with friends. Not competitively.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So how does this buying multiple starter deck things work? I just want to play these games with friends. Not competitively.

If you don't care about competitive play, one core set is all you'll likely ever need. If you really get into the game but still don't care about competitive play, you're usually better off buying expansions for a while but you may eventually want to pick up a second core. If you eventually decide to start playing in tourneys, you'll still probably be fine with two cores. If you decide you want a shot at consistently winning tourneys, you'll probably have to suck it up and buy a 3rd core.

the above is true of Netrunner and probably 40k. You'll never need a third core of LotR unless you're trying to do something crazy like solo campaign the nightmare decks with only cards released before those quests or something.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Lawen posted:

If you don't care about competitive play, one core set is all you'll likely ever need. If you really get into the game but still don't care about competitive play, you're usually better off buying expansions for a while but you may eventually want to pick up a second core. If you eventually decide to start playing in tourneys, you'll still probably be fine with two cores. If you decide you want a shot at consistently winning tourneys, you'll probably have to suck it up and buy a 3rd core.

the above is true of Netrunner and probably 40k. You'll never need a third core of LotR unless you're trying to do something crazy like solo campaign the nightmare decks with only cards released before those quests or something.

If you're just playing with friends, just make proxies of the cards you need. I have two core sets for LOTR, and I have just made copies of the extra cards I needed and slipped them in the sleeve.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

mongol posted:

I would use Warden of Healing instead of Daughter of the Nimrodel. It's a cheaper ally, plus better stats, and more versatile. Also, Landroval and Farmer Maggot are way too expensive for this deck. I would assume you would put Steward on Pippin so you have the resources for Gildor, Haldir, Fast Hitches, etc. I would add some Vassals of the Windlord for some cheap allies, or Squires of the Citadel.

Yeah, I really want to use Warden of Healing, but I don't have The Long Dark yet. Maybe I'll use some copies of Lore of Imladris instead, since I don't have any other sources of healing. As for the expensive allies, the idea was to use Elf-Stones or Sneak-Attack to bring them into play, and otherwise ignore them. Maybe I'll put in some copies of Protector of Lorien. Looking at it again, Denethor might be a better choice then Haldir, as I'm probably not going to let my Heroes get damaged. No Squires of the Citadel, but replacing Farmer Maggot with Vassals of the Windlord sounds like a good idea. I'm just sad he doesn't work, since it's so thematic.

Epi Lepi posted:

I honestly think Dunhere doesn't work without some Spears of the Mark and Quick Strike. If you have Hama, sub him in for one of your other heroes so you can get multiple uses of Quick Strike. I use it all the time now to take out dudes in the staging area during the questing phase.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Dunhere either, but oh man, does that does sound fun. I was hoping Dunedain Mark would be enough to make Dunhere more useful. Unfortunately, no Hama for me at the moment. I picked Theodred as he's another Rohan hero, but a Tactics guy would probably work better. Probably Beregond, so there's a good defender on this side of the board.

mongol posted:

If you're just playing with friends, just make proxies of the cards you need. I have two core sets for LOTR, and I have just made copies of the extra cards I needed and slipped them in the sleeve.

Given all the awesome cards I don't have, I think I'm going to just start doing this. How do you guys usually make your proxy copies?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
FFG has spoiler list

example:
http://ffgapp.com/qr/MEC18

Printer + Scissors + Extra Card + Sleeve = Proxy

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

mongol posted:

FFG has spoiler list

example:
http://ffgapp.com/qr/MEC18

Printer + Scissors + Extra Card + Sleeve = Proxy

:aaa:
I need to do this with the extras I want from the core set.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Dunhere either, but oh man, does that does sound fun. I was hoping Dunedain Mark would be enough to make Dunhere more useful. Unfortunately, no Hama for me at the moment. I picked Theodred as he's another Rohan hero, but a Tactics guy would probably work better. Probably Beregond, so there's a good defender on this side of the board.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Dunhere, just not as he was released. I'm broken and own all the cards (and extra core set cards that I bought of ebay) so I've got all the toys that make him fun. And it totally is fun.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't much like how WH40K has limited searching effects and no tutor effects, but has a 1-of fixed in every warlord's fixed card pool. That guarantees that no matter what your deck is gonna have a thing or two in it that is just a wild card, unsure to have any effect on the game ever. Rubs me wrong.

And I'm quite sure 3-of will be desirable for many cards even in an "only" 50-card deck. Most Runners in ANR have 45-card decks and they pack 3-of stuff all the time. Constantly. Because it's smarter to be consistent than varied.

That said I'm still kind of hype for this game.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't much like how WH40K has limited searching effects and no tutor effects, but has a 1-of fixed in every warlord's fixed card pool. That guarantees that no matter what your deck is gonna have a thing or two in it that is just a wild card, unsure to have any effect on the game ever. Rubs me wrong.

And I'm quite sure 3-of will be desirable for many cards even in an "only" 50-card deck. Most Runners in ANR have 45-card decks and they pack 3-of stuff all the time. Constantly. Because it's smarter to be consistent than varied.

That said I'm still kind of hype for this game.

You are right, it does suck that 40K doesn't have many tutors :( An interesting thing about Conquest is that 7 of the 10 planets have card draw as a battle effect, and you draw 2 cards every refresh. If you are being pretty agressive, you could find what you are looking for quite easily.

Again, I'll wait and see how the game actually works out before making grand sweeping claims as to how it works: The Netrunner Ice Breaker tourney in 2012 was played off of kneejerk reactions and the winning decks, even with the same cardpool, were pretty different from the ones that won worlds a few months later.

I'm picking up 2 cores when they are available here because I love FFG and I hate money, apparently.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I remember people talking AGoT had lovely balance in the core set. If I buy on the cheap someone's 2xCore Sets, Princes of the Sun (revised edition, whatever that means, and Raven's Song, War of the Kings, Epic Battles chapter packs, how much of an issue would that be?

Assume I want to treat this as a :10bux::20bux: board game, rather than a collectible thing (unless I stumble into a big sale again).

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Picked up Khazad-Dum last night. Looks like it is time to throw a dwarf deck together! The quests in this box also look like a lot of fun. This game is going to make me poor.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

I remember people talking AGoT had lovely balance in the core set. If I buy on the cheap someone's 2xCore Sets, Princes of the Sun (revised edition, whatever that means, and Raven's Song, War of the Kings, Epic Battles chapter packs, how much of an issue would that be?

Assume I want to treat this as a :10bux::20bux: board game, rather than a collectible thing (unless I stumble into a big sale again).

Should be fine. I'd ignore the chapter packs for now and use this to make some decks.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Carteret posted:

You are right, it does suck that 40K doesn't have many tutors :( An interesting thing about Conquest is that 7 of the 10 planets have card draw as a battle effect, and you draw 2 cards every refresh. If you are being pretty agressive, you could find what you are looking for quite easily.

Again, I'll wait and see how the game actually works out before making grand sweeping claims as to how it works: The Netrunner Ice Breaker tourney in 2012 was played off of kneejerk reactions and the winning decks, even with the same cardpool, were pretty different from the ones that won worlds a few months later.

I'm picking up 2 cores when they are available here because I love FFG and I hate money, apparently.

I could plausibly see 2 cores being all that's needed given card draw differences between this and ANR, yeah. I still strongly suspect 3-ofs will be dominant choices though.

Related may I just restate, after seeing the card pool, how thrilled I am that card/resource generation is dependent on exposing your units to battles in a back-and-forth icon-stacking contest that can be trumped in a double-blind warlord deployment? May expansions never introduce card/resource generation options outside the command struggle that are worth a drat.

Seriously the unit cost-reduction supports each team gets seem so bad to my eyes. Promethium Mine beats them hard. It only lasts 4 rounds, but my gut says that's good enough in a game that only ever goes 7, and its resource bonus can be used for any purpose. They can't even stack thanks to Limited. And that's exactly how I want it to be in my grimdark conflict LCG :getin:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Apparently Upper Deck have released Vs System as an LCG at Gencon.

No hype, no details available. It's just out.

Strikes as a crazy way to release a game.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

Apparently Upper Deck have released Vs System as an LCG at Gencon.

No hype, no details available. It's just out.

Strikes as a crazy way to release a game.

Wait they released it? I thought it was only being announced.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

More details here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1218542/upper-deck-just-announced-gencon-2014vs-back

It just looks like reprinted playsets of select cards that were originally printed in Marvel Origins. I don't see any new cards nor any discussion of streamlined rules.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Uhh...they changed the card backs. WTF?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I braved the 2 hour line at FFG's booth this morning and got copies of Conquest for myself and a buddy (plus the LotR encounters from the last 3 GenCons and the new Netrunner datapack). I'll try to get a trip report up for 40k after we play a few games tonight.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
What is this game, the VS system?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ChiTownEddie posted:

What is this game, the VS system?

A somewhat interesting game that I only played the Marvel version of that was basically what you'd expect out of a Marvel/DC superhero game. Lots of different copies of the same character. Not very complicated in terms of gameplay but fun if you wanted to play a simple game with your favorite superheroes.

For the gameplay itself basically imagine that you're playing magic with your favorite superheroes/events/places/equipment and each turn you can choose to turn one of those spells into a land. Also you have 50 life instead of 20 if I recall correctly. Also you can choose to attack individual units or the player. There's more to it but that's the basic jist. They released a PC/Gameboy version that I played to get a feel for the game. In the end it seemed to be a bit too simple and nobody near me played so I skipped it. I guess people really liked the game despite not really bringing anything new to the table mechanics wise.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 14, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Awww man, that card list doesn't show Overload being reprinted. I wanted to break the game again :eng99:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9GfT4LGZU4w

Team Covenant has a Conquest demo up. I haven't watched it yet.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9GfT4LGZU4w

Team Covenant has a Conquest demo up. I haven't watched it yet.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm kinda surprised that Living Card Game isn't trademarked or copyrighted or whatever legal term applies that I clearly don't understand.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I thought it was, hence Doomtown being an Expandable Card Game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

omnibobb posted:

I thought it was, hence Doomtown being an Expandable Card Game.

And Shadowfist is a Dynamic Card Game. Most people just refer to them all as LCGs, though. It's not like FFG didn't borrow the term from Living Rulebooks anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

And Shadowfist is a Dynamic Card Game. Most people just refer to them all as LCGs, though. It's not like FFG didn't borrow the term from Living Rulebooks anyway.

The VS System one says Living Card Game on the back, though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I hope dead trading card games coming back as LCGs becomes a thing. I for one would love to get Star Wars CCG: the LCG :allears:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 15, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Literally The Worst posted:

The VS System one says Living Card Game on the back, though.

And they'll get a visit from the men with briefcases soon enough. For that matter, my understanding was that UDE didn't even have the rights to Vs any more.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I hope dead trading card games coming back as LCGs becomes a thing. I for one would love to get Star Wars CCG: the LCG :allears:

While I'd love to see the Decipher game make a comeback, it would need an overhaul the likes of which the world has never seen. That game was a lot of fun, but goddamn it was a cluster gently caress of imbalance and bad mechanics. I'd love to see a lot of those games comeback just because I like to see how a lot of those games would be designed if you didn't have to consider rarities.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting VTES/Jyhad becoming an LCG. My only experience with it was playing it on Lackey with friends years ago, and it handled multiplayer politics really well. I doubt it'd happen, but I can wish, right?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting VTES/Jyhad becoming an LCG. My only experience with it was playing it on Lackey with friends years ago, and it handled multiplayer politics really well. I doubt it'd happen, but I can wish, right?

FFG was actually working on this, but ultimately decided not to do it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

InShaneee posted:

FFG was actually working on this, but ultimately decided not to do it.

:smith:

I'm curious why. I wouldn't have minded it ditching the VTM setting, but the mechanics were pretty solid (based on my limited experience with it).

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

While I'd love to see the Decipher game make a comeback, it would need an overhaul the likes of which the world has never seen. That game was a lot of fun, but goddamn it was a cluster gently caress of imbalance and bad mechanics. I'd love to see a lot of those games comeback just because I like to see how a lot of those games would be designed if you didn't have to consider rarities.

Apparently, several of the guys who worked on the Star Wars CCG are working on the MLP CCG, which is why it has several similar mechanics (Destiny being the most obvious). The Star Wars CCG Players Committee is still kicking around as well.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

:smith:

I'm curious why. I wouldn't have minded it ditching the VTM setting, but the mechanics were pretty solid (based on my limited experience with it).

Likely was not able to bring it in line with the other LCGs without dumbing the game down too much. V:TES had so many moving parts that you end up with a bunch of cards that have little to no relation to other aspects of the game entirely. You have Combat, Hunting, Draining, Politics, Stealth, etc. So many Disciplines for the differing clans that you end up having a huge number of cards needed to just get started and so many clans that it'd be hard to support them all if you made each on it's own faction.

It's a HUGE undertaking to get it going so it is really high risk with unknown reward.

That said I want nothing more than a LCG remake of V:TES. It is by FAR the best multiplier CCG ever made, Only thing that even came close was Doomtown and that breaks at 5+. I have hard well working games of V:TES with 7+ players, they take forever but are insanely fun.

Sadly now that CCP has killed the World of Darkness MMO they likely won't want to work on much WoD stuff as it is not a big money maker for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

V:TES with only 3 of each card would have to be a very different game. Might be doable as an LCG with either a smaller deck that you reshuffle whenever it runs out (though I'd miss the 90 card decks, big part of the "feel" of the game for me), or different packaging (3 copies of some cards, can only have 3 of those in your deck, 9 copies of others, can play 9 of those, for example).