Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The most publicized part of the new MGSV info from gamescom is that you can now trick enemy soldiers by turning a cardboard box into a life-sized cutout of a woman in a bikini.

And this isn't even a new feature, it's just that now you can do it with a box!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy hell, that rakuten deal from a page or two back is great.

Picked up a ps4 controller for $37, tax and shipping included. Towerfall here I come!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nika posted:

I don't think there's any reason to be this harsh about it either.

Well, I apologize if it came across as harsh. It's pretty unusual to hear someone going "Kojima just makes dudebro games."

As I edited into the post above, the Metal Gear Franchise is fairly unique in terms of AAA games in that it is one of the only AAA games on the market where killing is straight-up always the wrong option. While it has a lot of military hardware and a lot of options for killing, the story and gameplay both heavily encourage and reward not killing anyone. Far from being dudebros kill dudes: the game, you can only get the best score by not killing anyone.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the dude has some problems with his writing. A lot of them at times, but one thing you're not going to get from a Kojima game is Dudebro Guns N' Stuff. (Although his games tend to be well-designed enough that killing people is a viable option, if one you're penalized for.) They are frequently silly, or longwinded, or overly reliant on plot devices, but games about the sheer overwhelming glory of masculinity they are not.

People are excited about Kojima working on Silent Hill because Kojima makes incredibly reactive games which are pumped full of detail. He and his team are remarkably good at crafting game worlds which are full of little elements and details which really bring them alive and often make use of the game mechanics in an interesting and unusual way. That is something that I think we can all agree is a great thing for Silent Hill which, at its best, did the same thing. The idea of a Silent Hill with all the detail and creativity of a MGS game is, to people who've played both, extremely exciting as a concept. That doesn't mean the story will work inherently but Kojima is a director who has shown he can at least pull of elements of what made Silent Hill 2 great.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 14, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Will Sony cross ship me a controller if I get it replaced under warranty? Rubber is starting to come off one of my joysticks....

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Let's put it this way: in Metal Gear Solid 3, one boss fight is against a ghost who makes you face the ghost of every single other person you've ever killed in the game. You are deliberately and directly punished for every horrible injury you've inflicted, not to mention it's a bit disturbing. A pacifist run of that just has you slinking past the ghosts of the bosses who've fought you to the death before (and even then you're rewarded for fighting them with the slow-firing tranquilizer gun).

Metal Gear Solid 2 was one giant mind-screw, designed to be an arty metacommentary on the nature of its own medium, the nature of sequels, the idea that humans can turn lies into culturally accepted truths and that the world is drowning in subjectivity in the digital age due to stuff like confirmation bias (and this was 14 years ago, the problem has only gotten bigger since). Raiden is built up as one type of character and is revealed at the end to be a complete fiction to himself, the viewers and the world around him. Kojima deliberately concealed the fact that he was even in the game, much less the protagonist of the game, right up to the day of release, and concluded the game with you being the puppet of entities who claim to be a cloud consciousness of memes that have built up due to democracy creating a hive mind secretly governing the United States. You, the player, were the puppet, not the master, and you willingly became one because everyone wanted a sequel to Metal Gear Solid (and Raiden became molded in the image of Solid Snake because he looked up to him).

This is a man who knows how to gently caress your brain.

I can think of no one better I'd like to see behind the helm of a horror title.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 14, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speedball posted:

Let's put it this way: in Metal Gear Solid 3, one boss fight is against a ghost who makes you face the ghost of every single other person you've ever killed in the game. You are deliberately and directly punished for every horrible injury you've inflicted, not to mention it's a bit disturbing. A pacifist run of that just has you slinking past the ghosts of the bosses who've fought you to the death before (and even then you're rewarded for fighting them with the slow-firing tranquilizer gun).

Metal Gear Solid 2 was one giant mind-screw, designed to be an arty metacommentary on the nature of its own medium, the nature of sequels, the idea that humans can turn lies into culturally accepted truths and that the world is drowning in subjectivity in the digital age due to stuff like confirmation bias (and this was 14 years ago, the problem has only gotten bigger since). Raiden is built up as one type of character and is revealed at the end to be a complete fiction to himself, the viewers and the world around him. Kojima deliberately concealed the fact that he was even in the game, much less the protagonist of the game, right up to the day of release, and concluded the game with you being the puppet of entities who claim to be a cloud consciousness of memes that have built up due to democracy creating a hive mind secretly governing the United States.

I haven't played MGS3 in a long long time, but didn't each of those ghosts also reflect the method of their death in their appearance? Broken necks leading to lolling heads, bleeding bullet wounds, missing appendages, hopping on one foot, etc.?

I don't know if the game kept track of each individual method of death or not but that's pretty :gonk: either way.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 14, 2014

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

ImpAtom posted:

As I edited into the post above, the Metal Gear Franchise is fairly unique in terms of AAA games in that it is one of the only AAA games on the market where killing is straight-up always the wrong option. While it has a lot of military hardware and a lot of options for killing, the story and gameplay both heavily encourage and reward not killing anyone. Far from being dudebros kill dudes: the game, you can only get the best score by not killing anyone.

That's something I would never have guessed, just based on the admittedly limited impression I've ever had of those games. Though I can't really say it's the killing that puts me off so much. I loved the Tomb Raider reboot, because, well, obvious reasons--and you kill a lot of dudes in that game. It just seems like the marketing for the metal gear series--again, to someone who never played it--was really aimed at a certain demographic, and apparently I missed out because of that.

quote:

People are excited about Kojima working on Silent Hill because Kojima makes incredibly reactive games which are pumped full of detail. He and his team are remarkably good at crafting game worlds which are full of little elements and details which really bring them alive and often make use of the game mechanics in an interesting and unusual way. That is something that I think we can all agree is a great thing for Silent Hill which, at its best, did the same thing.

Speedball posted:

Alright, well poop, you guys are making a pretty good case, and I'm far more interested now in the reboot than I was before. To me the best Silent Hill games were all about like nuance and subtext, and if that's something that Kojima is good at, then I'll definitely give it an honest go.

(though I probably would have anyway, because I am dumb and will play every Silent Hill game that comes out. Even when I know it will be a bad game for dumb people.)

edit: but I still stand by my Del Toro comments. I've seen a number of the guy's movies and, nothing to do with masculinity or whatever, just didn't like 'em. Not the thread for it, though. :)

Nika fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 14, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Don't forget the cheesy fourth wall break in MGS1. A boss reading your PS1 memory cards and going "You like Castlevania, don't you?" if you have a castlevania save and stuff like that. Then "Shutting off" your TV by making the screen go black and display you on "Channel Hideo" in the top right like old CRT TVs.

This guy knows horror.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nika posted:

edit: but I still stand by my Del Toro comments. I've seen a number of the guy's movies and, nothing to do with masculinity or whatever, just didn't like 'em. Not the thread for it, though. :)

Hey, I like his movies but I'm not going to argue with an informed opinion. I'm mostly hoping that he's able to provide interesting monster designs instead of Nurse From Silent Hill 2 For the 100th Time or Random Globe Of Meat or Pyramid Head/Knockoff Pyramid Head.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 14, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ularg posted:

Don't forget the cheesy fourth wall break in MGS1. A boss reading your PS1 memory cards and going "You like Castlevania, don't you?" if you have a castlevania save and stuff like that. Then "Shutting off" your TV by making the screen go black and display you on "Channel Hideo" in the top right like old CRT TVs.

This guy knows horror.

My favorite is still this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzG8Sty9veI

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 14, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The demo has made a goddamn swinging lamp intimidating. I have high hopes.

Jesus. This man really does think of everything.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Nika posted:

del Toro is hopefully going to be bringing his abilities as a writer to the project. I can't convince you to like his films or books but take a look at his credits, he's a pretty good writer and his influence could really help smooth out some of the story telling issues the MGS team might encounter. Personally pretty loving stoked for Silent Hills and I didn't like any but the first two and then only really liked the second for some reason.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

"This video doesn't exist" :(

Unless that's the thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ularg posted:

"This video doesn't exist" :(

Unless that's the thing.

i was phoneposting and fixed it

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

For whatever reason, The Devil's Backbone is what makes me go "yeah Guillermo is pretty much perfect for a Silent Hill game". If he brings that sort of Guillermo to the project, and not "god I fuckin' love Cthulu" Guillermo, it'll be pretty amazing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

i was phoneposting and fixed it

Ah, thanks. I was looking for Solid Snake admitting he's scared to vampires, but I found something I've never seen before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIE0MNE5mTQ

So much stuff hidden.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

InfiniteZero posted:

For me, the worst thing about the PS4 by far, and it's not a game breaker, is the way the mics for voice chat for so many people seem to either pick up every sound in their house or their heavily laboured breathing and I can't by default turn off everybody's mic except for my friends like I could with my 360.

The Last of Us isn't quite as fun when some guy's screaming baby and then screaming wife is happening in the background, and no, I didn't want to play Warframe with an entire spanish speaking multi-family household arguing with each other in the background.

The only people I ever hear on their mics seem oblivious to the fact that they're on. Almost everyone is a whine brittish fuxkhead child whining to his "muuuuum" about wanting poo poo too.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just a reminder that Hideo Kojima rewarded players that chose to not kill the enemy by giving them the most creepy/easiest boss battle. Don't forget that Hideo Kojima also made a boss so old that if you put your playstation clock forward after engaging him he would die of old age. Don't forget about Hideo Kojima that read your PS1 memory card and made fun of you for the games that you were playing while in an intense boss battle.

Hideo Kojima, the dude who gave his games off to another staff and was so frustrated at the lack of detail/story/game experience that he took over the project and started again. The same Hideo Kojima that has by far the best view/mockery of Bush Era America in the gaming medium.

No he's just a dude bro army pew pew shoot man game! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0f2FXBUZLo

Asema fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 14, 2014

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Any cool secrets/tips to know as a new owner of a gold headset?

They sound p great.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I would not play P.T. with em on, unless your couch has been scotchguarded.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^seriously don't do that. It's horrifying.

Veg posted:

Any cool secrets/tips to know as a new owner of a gold headset?

They sound p great.

Get the TLOU preset from the companion app and use it for everything

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
"Metal Gear is just a bunch of dudebro shootmans" is one of the most hilariously misinformed opinions I've heard in a long time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nika posted:

MGS stuff

I'm not gonna bag on you for jumping to conclusions but if you went back and played the series you'd probably be pleasantly surprised. or at the very least surprised. it's pretty much the weirdest mainstream game series that has ever existed. Basically the opposite of most dudebro games for better or worse.

To me MGS is basically it's own genre.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Looking at video of AC: Rogue, is it just a reskinned AC4? Does it have any of the advancements that Unity is supposedly going to have?

edit: MGS is MGS. It isn't anything else.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 14, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Cameo posted:

For whatever reason, The Devil's Backbone is what makes me go "yeah Guillermo is pretty much perfect for a Silent Hill game". If he brings that sort of Guillermo to the project, and not "god I fuckin' love Cthulu" Guillermo, it'll be pretty amazing.

This was actually the first thing I thought of when I heard he was working on the new Silent Hill game. I have high hopes, I mean it's not like he forgot any of that stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looking at video of AC: Rogue, is it just a reskinned AC4? Does it have any of the advancements that Unity is supposedly going to have?

It's probably them making a quick buck off last-gen stuff while they can.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's probably a lot like AC: Liberation, I think? Where it's a more budget AC built off the foundation of their last major entry. So as Liberation was to AC3, so is Rogue to AC4.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Kilometers Davis posted:

^seriously don't do that. It's horrifying.

Get the TLOU preset from the companion app and use it for everything

What does the TLOU preset do?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: I hadn't even heard of AC Rogue. They just can't stop running this poo poo into the ground can they? I don't think I have seen such an over saturation of an IP in my life. AC is like the Expendables of games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: I hadn't even heard of AC Rogue. They just can't stop running this poo poo into the ground can they? I don't think I have seen such an over saturation of an IP in my life. AC is like the Expendables of games.
Yeah. I used to really like the series, and I enjoyed the first half or so of 4, but it wore out its welcome. I have zero interest in playing an identical game again, and only if Unity is WAY different am I going to be interested in that.

But, doesn't the series still sell ten billion copies every time?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm sure people will figure it out one of these days.

Then again, I said the same thing about Call of Duty in the past :shepface:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

They are doing something right because I have bought 3 AC games and played even more, even though I think it's one of the dullest games I have ever played at it's core. It's like they are really good at convincing people "hey this one's gonna be good check it out"

I don't think I've ever had fun with an AC past 5 or 6 hours. They just feel so drat uninspired and the level design is always terrible.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not gonna bag on you for jumping to conclusions but if you went back and played the series you'd probably be pleasantly surprised. or at the very least surprised. it's pretty much the weirdest mainstream game series that has ever existed. Basically the opposite of most dudebro games for better or worse.

To me MGS is basically it's own genre.

I would advise them not to do that. MGS is a series that has gone from being pretty drat obtuse game mechanic wise to actually catching up and being slightly ahead of the times stealth and control wise.

Trying to play the original Snake Eater and Subsistence is like night and day.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nika posted:

It's just that I don't follow a video game series super closely if it doesn't seem all that interesting, and the metal gear series never seemed designed/marketed towards someone like me.
I think that's pretty fair. The MGS series has all the trappings of a dudebro military shooter, and a lot of its marketing doesn't try to convince you that it's anything else. (Rarely it can be even more alienating than a typical shooter -- Kojima's games are generally creepy about women.) I think it's a bit tragic that perceived market conditions cause most AAA games to be marketed as overtly masculine, because that hampers the potential of the people who make them, and it limits their appeal to people who respond to overtly masculine marketing. The SH games (particularly the in-house ones) have resisted that impulse, so hopefully this is will get Kojima's weird brilliance into the hands of new people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just meant Metal Gear in general. Even Subsistence feels pretty dated at this point.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Ularg posted:

It's probably a lot like AC: Liberation, I think? Where it's a more budget AC built off the foundation of their last major entry. So as Liberation was to AC3, so is Rogue to AC4.

When I was watching the gameplay video for Rogue the first thing I thought of was Liberation. Maybe it's just because I'm not used to looking at last-gen footage of AC4 but man did it ever look rough.

I liked Liberation though, jank and all, so who knows.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
When I was younger I was under the impression that Solid and Liquid have the same face. Is that not the case? I have a wallpaper from the Gamecube remake and they don't look like clones. Has my entire life been a lie? Was my fantasy of playing BOTH Solid and Liquid in a movie just a pointless farce? Someone respond.

Also I really liked Silent Hill: The Room. I could've done without the backtracking and escort mission bullshit but I otherwise thought that game was tops.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

James Woods Fan posted:

When I was younger I was under the impression that Solid and Liquid have the same face. Is that not the case? I have a wallpaper from the Gamecube remake and they don't look like clones. Has my entire life been a lie? Was my fantasy of playing BOTH Solid and Liquid in a movie just a pointless farce? Someone respond.

Also I really liked Silent Hill: The Room. I could've done without the backtracking and escort mission bullshit but I otherwise thought that game was tops.

I don't think they're supposed to be completely identical but they are supposed to look pretty similar.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I don't think they're supposed to be completely identical but they are supposed to look pretty similar.

I'm quite sure they do in fact have the exact same face. It's just very hard to notice because their hair is totally different. It's like how many don't see that in MGS2, Solidus's face is literally just snake's face with retexturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

My internet just went down and The Last of Us stopped working until I get my connection back? This is pretty loving bullshit, I though they didn't have any always online DRM?

• Locked thread