Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewey Hibiki
Nov 7, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone know of a good Starcraft/Starcraft 2 LP? I want to see the game but I don't really want to shell out money for a game I'm NOT EVEN SURE I'll like. Cheers in advance!

My Name is Kaz did a stream for the original Starcraft on Twitch. I don't think he uploaded it to YouTube so the first part is here with the other parts found here. (scroll down to Jan 25, 2013)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

my dad posted:

Starcraft 2 - Not finished and hasn't been updated for a month now, but fairly good.

No, it hasn't been updated in two and a half months. What's the point in recommending an abandoned LP?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I'd like to recommend Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer by Lt. Danger for the Informative SSLP category. I'm actually surprised they aren't already there, since they, for me at least, are the epitome of an informative SSLP. In Scorchy-esque manner, Lt. Danger breaks down, analyzes, and critiques both the stories and mechanics of each game in-depth. He also plays through Mask of the Betrayer twice so that readers can see the extremely well-made evil story, which most people never knew existed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

No, it hasn't been updated in two and a half months. What's the point in recommending an abandoned LP?

It ain't abandoned. It will continue again in a couple of weeks.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Can anyone recommend a decent LP of X-com: Enemy Within on Impossible Ironman (or at least played as if it were Ironman)? Ideally it would be informative ("this is how we're not going to get completely wrecked in the first two months," etc.), and be fairly realistic for the difficulty level.

What I mean by that last is that I've found other Impossible LP's but they've all featured ridiculously fortunate starts. I'm talking about Abduction on day 3, Council mission before day 10 featuring a $150 + 5 engineer reward, medium ufo mission complete before day 15, which allows them to deploy four more satellites by the end of the first month. Also 3 out of their 4 starting soldiers have 75 aim on Not Created Equal, sure, why not.

I'm looking for something that doesn't involve the game handing the first (read: hardest) months to the player on a silver platter. Something where they struggle like hell but overcome it. I expect luck to be involved, just not to such an extent.

I know JadeStar's doing a run right now, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but it's on Classic.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Go check out BeagleRush on YouTube and his ironman impossible series if you aren't probably already watching it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Go check out BeagleRush on YouTube and his ironman impossible series if you aren't probably already watching it.

Seconding. Beagle's funny, informative, interesting and even when he's going over the slow bits he managed to keep it fun. He's what inspired me to get XCOM, actually.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Clockwork Rocktopus and Sociopastry posted:

BeagleRush

Yeah he's got great stuff and I've watched some of his I/I run in the past. Unfortunately neither of his runs are what I'm looking for; he's got one of the base game and one of the expansion with the Long War mod. I'll probably check out the latter eventually, sure, but for now I'm still looking for unmodded expansion.

Thank you though, it's still a good recommendation. Just not what I'm looking for at this exact moment. Ah well.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Che Delilas posted:

What I mean by that last is that I've found other Impossible LP's but they've all featured ridiculously fortunate starts. I'm talking about Abduction on day 3, Council mission before day 10 featuring a $150 + 5 engineer reward, medium ufo mission complete before day 15, which allows them to deploy four more satellites by the end of the first month. Also 3 out of their 4 starting soldiers have 75 aim on Not Created Equal, sure, why not.
I see you've watched this

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Che Delilas posted:

Yep. That's what Ironman Impossible is. You basically have to get mad lucky and also manipulate the hell out of the AI (like with the medium UFO trick) to make it out of the first month without losing countries. You can minimize the damage by starting in Africa and making sure you only lose other African countries, but people who do LPs by and large want to show the optimal way to do things.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Yep. That's what Ironman Impossible is. You basically have to get mad lucky and also manipulate the hell out of the AI (like with the medium UFO trick) to make it out of the first month without losing countries. You can minimize the damage by starting in Africa and making sure you only lose other African countries, but people who do LPs by and large want to show the optimal way to do things.

I think there's a decent line between manipulating the AI and getting the absolute best outcome on every dice roll for the first two months of the game. I expect the former with this level of difficulty, but I would expect a good player to be able to work with less-than-ideal events as well. I would expect a few lost countries, especially early. You should have to make choices, like "I have three panicked countries and 2 satellites, which continent bonus do I sacrifice?" Optimal play is great, especially when you have to work with sub-optimal circumstances.

I mean, that's sort of what Ironman is about : rolling with the punches. (And throwing your computer out a window when you get into an endless lock. But that's why I said "played as if it were Ironman" is okay too :haw:)

Fat Samurai posted:

I see you've watched this

Yeah, that's mainly the one I was thinking of.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
When I was trying to get better at the game I remember watching a couple of Zemalf's videos from the base game after I had caught up with Beagle, and he kept taking 35% or 40% shots and nailing them, I want to attribute it to just dumb luck instead of tampering, but it took the fun out of watching them.

/edit: Oh, Beagle used to stream Enemy Within over at his girlfriend's twitch channel. Those may be closer to what you're looking for, they may not be a proper guide but he's always explaining his decisions and what he's taking into account so that may be worth checking out.

He's online right now, but he's doing Long War; so check into her past broadcasts for "Thursday Night Xcom" I think it was.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 15, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Edmond Dantes posted:

When I was trying to get better at the game I remember watching a couple of Zemalf's videos from the base game after I had caught up with Beagle, and he kept taking 35% or 40% shots and nailing them, I want to attribute it to just dumb luck instead of tampering, but it took the fun out of watching them.

/edit: Oh, Beagle used to stream Enemy Within over at his girlfriend's twitch channel. Those may be closer to what you're looking for, they may not be a proper guide but he's always explaining his decisions and what he's taking into account so that may be worth checking out.

He's online right now, but he's doing Long War; so check into her past broadcasts for "Thursday Night Xcom" I think it was.

I've nailed my share of hail marys myself, but yeah if you're watching it for its instructional value hitting the big luck makes it feel less useful to me. I didn't know Beagle actually streamed basic EW though, I'll definitely check out his archives. Thanks!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone know of any good LPs that cover warcraft 3 and frozen throne? surprisingly nothing in the lparchive.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

What's the game that somebody was LPing where the goal was to collect pieces for your spaceship and put it back together again, but you had to actually spend time traveling between planets and you could listen to space radio and play pinball while you waited.

The subtitling was really really good

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wasn't there a thread for Drakhhen at some point? Did it ever get finished/anyone have a link to it?

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

What's the game that somebody was LPing where the goal was to collect pieces for your spaceship and put it back together again, but you had to actually spend time traveling between planets and you could listen to space radio and play pinball while you waited.

The subtitling was really really good

That was Saira, I think.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Genocyber posted:

Wasn't there a thread for Drakhhen at some point? Did it ever get finished/anyone have a link to it?

Couple years ago, and abandoned right near the end judging by the update titles. Need archives to view.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Couple years ago, and abandoned right near the end judging by the update titles. Need archives to view.

Wasn't that a video LP? Mind linking their channel for me? Don't got archives.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Genocyber posted:

Wasn't that a video LP? Mind linking their channel for me? Don't got archives.

It was on Viddler and then Blip, each of which has apparently deleted their half of the videos in the two years since. Sorry. Unless Clark_Mk_IV still has copies of them lying around somewhere (doubtful), consider it lost.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rip. Oh well.

On that note, I remember some goon having saved the Two Worlds videos. Anyone have a link to those?

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I just finished watching the Anodyne LP which popped up on the archive recently and really enjoyed it. Kind of a spooky game, and it works really well as a subtitle LP. Made me want to watch the Yume Nikki LP since it reminded me of it and it had been a while, but that one appears to be down. Any recommendations for similar let's plays?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Herbotron posted:

I just finished watching the Anodyne LP which popped up on the archive recently and really enjoyed it. Kind of a spooky game, and it works really well as a subtitle LP. Made me want to watch the Yume Nikki LP since it reminded me of it and it had been a while, but that one appears to be down. Any recommendations for similar let's plays?

Not technically a LP, but Voice of Dog's Knock Knock stream recordings were plenty spooky. I don't think he ever finished it though.

Though I might be reading into your intent wrong.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Genocyber posted:

On that note, I remember some goon having saved the Two Worlds videos. Anyone have a link to those?

http://bd.baldurk.org/lp/168

You need to download some of them to play them properly due to codec stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

http://bd.baldurk.org/lp/168

You need to download some of them to play them properly due to codec stuff.

Sweet, thanks.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Highwang posted:

Not technically a LP, but Voice of Dog's Knock Knock stream recordings were plenty spooky. I don't think he ever finished it though.

Though I might be reading into your intent wrong.

Knock-Knock is a good game, but I don't know how well it lends itself to LP format.

Either you explain how the game mechanics work and take away some tension, or you don't and the viewer is just kind of in the dark, which you could just get by playing it yourself.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

lardnar posted:

That was Saira, I think.

This is it! Thanks so much, I've been wanting to watch the LP over from scratch since it's been so long and I never finished it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I know this is a strange question but are there any LP's you guys can think of that would be good for someone who can't see very well? That sounds stupid without context so let me explain.
My buddy at work has a major visual impairment, he asked me what I was watching one day in my office and I had the awkward conversation explaining to someone what an LP was and he immediately went and watched a bunch of it after work. He said he really enjoyed it because he didn't need to really watch it very much (Dark Souls) because the LP was so heavily biased on the lore of the game, which he quite enjoyed (he watched the "Ready to Cry" videos as well). When he needed to or felt like it he would get really close to the monitor and do his crazy-squinty-screen-scan-thingy he does (his words) but only had to do that occasionally.
I can't really imagine anything else similar to recommend to him though? He's a big nerd so I mentioned a warhammer 40k LP from here but he said the one guys voice just made it too difficult, so I guess that's a factor too.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I can't really imagine anything else similar to recommend to him though? He's a big nerd so I mentioned a warhammer 40k LP from here but he said the one guys voice just made it too difficult, so I guess that's a factor too.
If he's as big a nerd as you paint him to be, he may enjoy the meta-game analysis for the rather infamous game of "Mass Effect 3". Lt. Danger is doing a very detailed apologetic breakdown of the game's themes and the reason why he loves it so, in complete opposition the majority of the thread and, honestly, the majority of the free world.
Here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652018) is a link if he's interested, though Lt. Danger does happen to talk over some cutscene dialogue if your friend is a stickler for that sort of thing.
Also, he may want to consider some humorous voice LP's like the Jeff and David show, which is currently doing DarkSiders II. Fun, informative and they have a great style.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Dooky Dingo posted:

If he's as big a nerd as you paint him to be, he may enjoy the meta-game analysis for the rather infamous game of "Mass Effect 3". Lt. Danger is doing a very detailed apologetic breakdown of the game's themes and the reason why he loves it so, in complete opposition the majority of the thread and, honestly, the majority of the free world.
Here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652018) is a link if he's interested, though Lt. Danger does happen to talk over some cutscene dialogue if your friend is a stickler for that sort of thing.
Also, he may want to consider some humorous voice LP's like the Jeff and David show, which is currently doing DarkSiders II. Fun, informative and they have a great style.

I think Meta-Game analysis is exactly what I was looking for, that ME3 playthrough looks very detailed in explaining the world so that might be perfect. I never thought of it as I've never been much into those games but that's great! Thanks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I know this is a strange question but are there any LP's you guys can think of that would be good for someone who can't see very well?
How about tabletop game LP's? For example, D&DNext. The DM has to explain the setting and situations to the players so hopefully your friend should be able to follow it fairly easily.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Can anyone recommend a Five nights at Freddy's lp?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Can anyone recommend a Five nights at Freddy's lp?

This guy did a pretty good one, I thought. Warning: YouTube LP. Also scarecam and live commentary, but the scarecam especially really works for that type of game...

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

This guy did a pretty good one, I thought. Warning: YouTube LP. Also scarecam and live commentary, but the scarecam especially really works for that type of game...

This guy, loving seriously? He's one of those twats who pretend to be scared for preteen dumbasses on the internet. He literally can't spend more than a second without making a goddamn 'scared' noise for the whole length of the video, its cringemakingly unbearable. Is there literally no better videos than this?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Tombot posted:

This guy, loving seriously? He's one of those twats who pretend to be scared for preteen dumbasses on the internet. He literally can't spend more than a second without making a goddamn 'scared' noise for the whole length of the video, its cringemakingly unbearable. Is there literally no better videos than this?

The game's barely just hit the "interesting for Youtube LPers that rush to LP whatever's hip right now" point. If you're looking for something decent, you'll probably have to wait a couple weeks until the flood is over and the few gems have been found.

Of course, you could dumpster-dive for the few gems, but chances are good you won't find something that fast and will probably lose a good bit of your sanity doing so. The game hits too many of the notes that make it interesting for the YT LP crowd - horror, indie, simple, good for scarecams because of its jump scare game over method and constantly keeping the player on his feet, panders to a nostalgic crowd with the pizza place animatronic mascot deal - for it to not attract everybody and their dog, so there's going to be a ton of 5NaF (or whatever the gently caress the acronym for that game is) LPs put out over the next few days and weeks.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Silver Falcon posted:

Warning: YouTube LP. Also scarecam and live commentary
No kidding.

Here, have some short instant-antidote to that garbage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-O-P-psl4
Probably shows 99% of what the game is anyway.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

RoadCrewWorker posted:

No kidding.

Here, have some short instant-antidote to that garbage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-O-P-psl4
Probably shows 99% of what the game is anyway.

Apparently there's some crazy AI fuckery towards the end.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Apparently there's some crazy AI fuckery towards the end.

It does some pretty cute tricks near the end, yeah.

FNaF (or whatever) is pretty fun. It could use more mechanics- more multitasking, perhaps having to fiddle with a laptop to pick apart the pizzeria's dark secrets while also checking the monitors, or something like that- but it's still a decent set of spooks. The atmosphere and style really reminds me of the sort of PC game that you'd see on shelves in the 90s, sitting in a huge garish cardboard box next to a chunky manual...

Sadly, it wouldn't be too fun to watch the whole game be played on its own merits, which is why it's not likely we'll see a quality no-facecam playthough of it anytime soon. More fun to play than to watch. SGF's video pretty much encapsulates the game, aside from the rest of the amusing phone messages.
Best way to experience it is to drop the $5 on Steam, or grit your teeth through a facecam LP.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
For a full play through this one looks like it could be promising. No random screaming or facecam, plus there's editing too so no repeats of failed nights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeYBPPlkSs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
I was hoping for a goon lp, because gobs teens to be the anti pewdiepie. I remember looking super great friend, so I'll check the demo video out. Thanks!