Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
I'm going with a Rusty clone who was left for dead some where in China back in the 60's. He grew up with some monks, learns mind powers and is now hunting down criminals with his gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
My money is on Rusty killing a couple of supervillains at a costume party by tripping on something and the guild freaking out thinking he's an assassin.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If the supervillain killing thing is at the Gargantua 2 opening, it might be less a costume party and more a 'oh, god, I'm required to show up but I don't want anyone to recognize me at my brother's thing' disguise. But, yeah, we are thinking similarly.

edit: What if his fake name is 'Phantom SpaceMan'?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Bobulus posted:

If the supervillain killing thing is at the Gargantua 2 opening, it might be less a costume party and more a 'oh, god, I'm required to show up but I don't want anyone to recognize me at my brother's thing' disguise. But, yeah, we are thinking similarly.

edit: What if his fake name is 'Phantom SpaceMan'?

Phantom Spaceman!

What's the name of the song that plays at the end of Assassinanny 911 when Hank is hypnotized and trying to kill doc? It sort of apes 'The End' by the Doors but I think it's original.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skrill.exe posted:

Phantom Spaceman!

What's the name of the song that plays at the end of Assassinanny 911 when Hank is hypnotized and trying to kill doc? It sort of apes 'The End' by the Doors but I think it's original.

Almost every song ever used in the venture bros is something by JG Thirlwell. Some of the songs are released under one of his band's names, but it's all original score for the Venture Bros initially.

I think it's because he's a friend of Doc Hammer and he's cheap/good for the style.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also because he's awesome.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
There's a Venture Brothers soundtrack album by Thirlwell, but I can't tell if the James Hank Morrison song is one of them.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Not sure if it's the case for that track, but the few original songs that aren't Thirlwell's are Doc Hammer's band doing horrible pseudo-covers like the fake Zeppelin and such. Or Doc And Jackson doing Shallow Gravy obviously.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Captain Blaargh posted:

Not sure if it's the case for that track, but the few original songs that aren't Thirlwell's are Doc Hammer's band doing horrible pseudo-covers like the fake Zeppelin and such. Or Doc And Jackson doing Shallow Gravy obviously.

They did actually buy the rights to some song used in the climactic scene of the home-school prom episode, IIRC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

eriktown posted:

They did actually buy the rights to some song used in the climactic scene of the home-school prom episode, IIRC.

That and the opener to season 2 are the only big songs they've paid real money for.

EDIT: AHAHAHA I just googled homeschool prom hoping to find a video clip of that song. It starts with the King & Queen dance and runs through the end. But what I found is there are actually homeschool proms that happen all over Texas for people raised in religious homeschools.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Well, I meant original to the show, should have been clearer on that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Skrill.exe posted:

Phantom Spaceman!

Guys here schooled me on that very track two pages ago.

(Guys, Mike.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

eriktown posted:

Some song? That's not just some song. That's Pulp, you fool!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jack Gladney posted:

Some song? That's not just some song. That's Pulp, you fool!

Oh. I didn't realize. *puts on the Comsat Angels*

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Blaargh posted:

How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best part of that joke is that there are only two Yaz albums.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?

Real answer: strangely none even though I love Erasure/Vince Clarke stuff.

Jack Gladney posted:

The best part of that joke is that there are only two Yaz albums.

I know, I don't know how many watches it took until until realized and went, "Hey, wait a minute..." Such a great throw away joke.

God, I'm glad those brilliant bastards take the time they do on the show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think the music references/jokes are my favorite thing about VB. Probably because it references New Wave and old school deathrock most of the time.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I think my favorite music references in VB were the Bowie/Iggy Pop/Klaus Nomi lines in the Season 2 finale. They pack something like a dozen music references in a handful of lines.

Though the prog rock scene might have been just about the greatest thing I have seen on TV.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I so want Princess Tinyfeet's giant cat in the closet in Home is Where the Hatred Is, the one that Brock says looks like a man in a giant cat costume to actually be a man in a giant cat costume given her... lifestyle. I know it's unlikely but its kinda thematically consistent that Hatred is so completely oblivious to her goings on in his own house.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I think my favorite music references in VB were the Bowie/Iggy Pop/Klaus Nomi lines in the Season 2 finale. They pack something like a dozen music references in a handful of lines.

Though the prog rock scene might have been just about the greatest thing I have seen on TV.

For me it was the opening of Ghosts of the Sargasso.

Edit: 3 of the 4 posts I have in this thread are about that scene.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 14, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ghosts of the Sargasso may not be quite the best episode of The Venture Brothers, but it's an incredible stand-alone story that captures the soul and style of the show remarkably well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ghosts of the Sargasso was my first episode and got me hooked.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I had seen other episodes before that one but it definitely got me hooked. I love the ghost pirate guy and the sleeping bag joke.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My first episode was "What goes up must come down" and I was hooked pretty good. I would probably start someone new on Sargasso or "Escape to the House of Mummies Part 2".

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Escape to the House of Mummies Part 2 is, without question, the most fantastic piece of cartoon-ography ever produced.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ultramiraculous posted:

Escape to the House of Mummies Part 2 is, without question, the most fantastic piece of cartoon-ography ever produced.

It very well may have been my second episode. I remember I spent a good bit of time looking around for part 1 when it first came out. I didn't start watching until halfway through season 2. It was just the ghosts episode was the first I ever saw so I started DVRing the new ones.

It really is just a great episode. Both of them are standalone masterpieces. There's no real need to understand who anyone really is. You can immediately appreciate the archetypes of the characters and the 20 minute story is succinct and closes up nicely.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It is also my favorite episode because you get a glimpse of what the Venture Brothers adventures are when the most we get is them talking about it.

The throwing gun bit kills me.

You gotta stop doing that, you have more bullets ya know.

Yeah i know but it looked cool.

Well GO get it.

Finnnnnnnnne.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I caught the premiere of the pilot :smug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I caught the premiere of the pilot, thought it was overly full of itself and badly flash-animated and kinda mean-spirited and not anywhere near as funny as it clearly thought it was, and I almost didn't watch the real series when it showed up.

I really didn't expect such a dramatic improvement right out the gate.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I remember seeing Tag Sale, You're It! in somebody's dorm room and having it stick with me, particularly the bit where the Monarch used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Data Graham posted:

I caught the premiere of the pilot, thought it was overly full of itself and badly flash-animated and kinda mean-spirited and not anywhere near as funny as it clearly thought it was, and I almost didn't watch the real series when it showed up.

Right there with you. I only watched the show once it premiered because it was the summer, I was home from college and bored out of my mind. I think "Home Insecurity" aired the night before I went back and it sold me on the series.

When I met Monarch, I wa' hooked on crack cocaine, got in all kinda of trouble. Monarch turned my life around. How 'bout you, why'd you join up?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The pilot was a bit all over the place. The stereotypes etc, that was just pretty drat bad.

Brock on the other hand?

Didn't change one bit.

Sir I'm gonna have to ask you to give me that knife.

*ominous music plays*

GO ON.

TAKE IT FROM ME.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shindragon posted:

TAKE IT FROM ME.

That's the moment that I was hooked

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I really didn't expect such a dramatic improvement right out the gate.

One of the last conversations I ever had with a college roommate was trying to describe the pilot to him and him not really being sure if what I was describing was real. We were both doing undergraduate research during the summer and shared an apartment, and he was out doing something while I was watching cartoon network.

When he got back I tried to tell him about this show that was like Jonny Quest only with a skinned dog and a psychopathic Race and he gave me this weird look and asked if I was sure it wasn't Harvey Birdman.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You're crazy, the pilot is awesome from even the first scene before the opening.
Wow you totally got the kink out of it, and I don't wanna smoke anymore either!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AFewBricksShy posted:

For me it was the opening of Ghosts of the Sargasso.

Edit: 3 of the 4 posts I have in this thread are about that scene.

That episode was definitely one of my first ones, also what introduced me and my older brother to the music of David Bowie(well that and Ziggy Stardust being in the first Guitar Hero game)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Shindragon posted:

The pilot was a bit all over the place. The stereotypes etc, that was just pretty drat bad.

Brock on the other hand?

Didn't change one bit.

Sir I'm gonna have to ask you to give me that knife.

*ominous music plays*

GO ON.

TAKE IT FROM ME.

The one MP frantically shaking his head at the other kills me every time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jack Gladney posted:

One of the last conversations I ever had with a college roommate was trying to describe the pilot to him and him not really being sure if what I was describing was real. We were both doing undergraduate research during the summer and shared an apartment, and he was out doing something while I was watching cartoon network.

When he got back I tried to tell him about this show that was like Jonny Quest only with a skinned dog and a psychopathic Race and he gave me this weird look and asked if I was sure it wasn't Harvey Birdman.

The skinned dog and the unhinged fatherly advice about cosmetics and poo poo like that, eegh... it's not funny or edgy, it's just creepy-crawly.

And the ninja who wanted to hump the Ooo ray? I dunno, man. Any randomly selected later-season episode had a better premise/resolution, and made it seem a lot more effortless too. The pilot just seemed forced as hell.

And yeah, I remember trying to describe the show to acquaintances based on a few S1 episodes. "Hey, so they actually meet Race Bannon this one time, only he's been kicked out of an airplane and he lands dead in the bushes with his parachute open and it drags him down the road and some kids find his body and kick it around..." —and at that point I realized all I was doing was blowing the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

"They're robot bones!"

I grew up watching Johnny Quest with my dad and was hooked immediately. It only got better as they kind of moved away from the straight parody into their own stride.