Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Finally here's a full track from the new Yob album:
Unmask The Spectre : http://www.stereogum.com/1697670/yob-unmask-the-spectre-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/
Here's another one.
https://soundcloud.com/cessationchasm/nothing-to-win-yob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The whole album has leaked actually, I listened to it earlier. It's pretty good though none of the songs are as good as Adrift In The Ocean.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I can't believe Pallbearer is playing with Tombs on Halloween night in Chapel Hill, NC. The club is on Franklin St. and the entire NC college scene turns the street into something like this...

There's no way anyone is getting close to the town let lone the street the venue is on that night.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I can't believe Pallbearer is playing with Tombs on Halloween night in Chapel Hill, NC. The club is on Franklin St. and the entire NC college scene turns the street into something like this...

There's no way anyone is getting close to the town let lone the street the venue is on that night.

Not only that, but Halloween is on a Friday this year, so it's right at the end of a week of classes! :argh: I am not looking forward to trying to get there.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Cannot wait to see Pallbearer with Yob in London. I love Yob, and the new Pallbearer is great. Also, the new Lord Mantis has grown on me a ton, really like that album now.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Just back from seeing Earth in Glasgow, it was pretty great.

Setlist if anyone is interested:

Badger's Bane
Even Hell Has Its Heroes
Old Black
There Is A Serpent Coming
The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull (best song of the set, it was amazing)
From the Zodiacal Light
Torn By the Fox of the Crescent Moon (this was also really good and made a great finisher)

Also found out that Yob and Pallbearer are playing up here next month, I am excited.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

The new stuff is cool, isn't it? Torn by the Fox was a cool change of pace for Earth.

(Bees made Honey was also amazing when I saw them last night)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Goddamn. You couldn't have paid me to deal with that poo poo even when I was going to school in Raleigh, but I might have done it for Tombs/Pallbearer.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 15, 2014

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Setlist if anyone is interested:

Badger's Bane
Even Hell Has Its Heroes
Old Black
There Is A Serpent Coming
The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull (best song of the set, it was amazing)
From the Zodiacal Light
Torn By the Fox of the Crescent Moon (this was also really good and made a great finisher)

Also found out that Yob and Pallbearer are playing up here next month, I am excited.

Fairly similar to the set they played here a few months back, though they did play something from Pentastar then.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The new stuff is cool, isn't it? Torn by the Fox was a cool change of pace for Earth.

(Bees made Honey was also amazing when I saw them last night)
Yeah, I was a big fan of old droney Earth but I like the new stuff a lot too. Dylan was a lot chattier than when I last saw them, he gave a little intro to each song which was cool. Old Black: "Sometimes it's about a cat, sometimes it's about another cat, sometimes it's about a band and when it was written it was about this other dude's guitar."

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

I can't believe Pallbearer is playing with Tombs on Halloween night in Chapel Hill, NC.

I sent in a comment on the Profound Lore website to that effect...doubt it'll do any good, but worth a shot. Lincoln or Kings would be a lot better.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The new YOB is god-tier doom metal.

Marrow alone might be the best thing they've ever done. Also, the only hopeful doom metal song.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
A friend took me to Boris a few days ago and Atsuo tried to kill an audience member for filming. That was fantastic.

The Atlas Moth and SubRosa really impressed me and I got my hands on their discographies but I need more. I generally only listen to dorky power metal so I have absolutely no idea where to go. Assistance? I'm super into this SubRosa track at the moment.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The mix/master on the new Yob is so much better than Atma :allears:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Officially comes out on the same day as Primitive and Deadly, too. I don't normally go for leaks, so it's going to be a good Tuesday.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

edrith posted:

A friend took me to Boris a few days ago and Atsuo tried to kill an audience member for filming. That was fantastic.

The Atlas Moth and SubRosa really impressed me and I got my hands on their discographies but I need more. I generally only listen to dorky power metal so I have absolutely no idea where to go. Assistance? I'm super into this SubRosa track at the moment.

SubRosa's album previous to More Constant Than the Gods is pretty good but can't compare to what I would call a modern classic.

For similar bands look into Black Math Horseman, Ides of Gemini, and Worm Ouroboros. If you like the female vocals and are willing to go a little more stoner, there's a whole subgenre of occultish, female led stoner/doom out there for you: Blood Ceremony, Devil's Blood, Jess and the Ancient Ones, Witch Mountain, Royal Thunder, Electric Wizard, Windhand, Dark Castle, Jex Thoth. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but there's plenty of ground to tread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Electric Wizard have a woman in the band but they are by no means female fronted.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Witch Mountain won't be anyone-fronted soon.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Monarch! is female-fronted (and Canadian) iirc. I actually have a whole playlist full of awesome female-fronted bands. IMO just hang out in this thread and click on everything. Good taste in here.

On my metal list for August, there's also Electric Citizen, which I am really digging so far, but it's way more on the Sabbath side of things with a dash of post-rock.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Okay what the gently caress is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BnfqhRejUo

No Sammy, no Dax, no Audie (duh), instead we get what appears to be a tonedeaf hick who I guess sang in Exhorder back in the day. I hope this is a one-off

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kyle Thomas was pretty great in Exhorder but Acid Bath without Dax isn't Acid Bath at all.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

So John Garcia finally released his solo album.

It’s not terrible, although it doesn’t break any new ground or anything. It’s better than the Vista Chino album, partially because it’s shorter and more streamlined, but it’s pretty much exactly what you’d expect from a John Garcia solo album.

It’s pretty decent driving/workout music. The only track I feel like I need to skip is Confusion which is awful faux-trippy dirge.

Single - My Mind

Also good:

5000 Miles

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 17, 2014

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

m-o-o-n posted:

No Sammy, no Dax, no Audie (duh), instead we get what appears to be a tonedeaf hick who I guess sang in Exhorder back in the day. I hope this is a one-off

Oh no. This is really awful.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

m-o-o-n posted:

I hate this.

I listen to both Acid Bath albums on average about 2-3 times weekly still.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
If you want to have The Body demolish your living room, and have $750 burning a hole in your pocket, this is a link for you.

Former Cathedral-guitarist Gaz's new band Death Penalty is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sunDXr29hxI]

And here's a new Electric Wizard track!

:awesome:

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kyle Thomas was pretty great in Exhorder but Acid Bath without Dax isn't Acid Bath at all.

What's Dax up to these days anyway? Just his solo career?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think so. I know he has zero interest in doing anything with Acid Bath right now.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Shab posted:

SubRosa's album previous to More Constant Than the Gods is pretty good but can't compare to what I would call a modern classic.

For similar bands look into Black Math Horseman, Ides of Gemini, and Worm Ouroboros. If you like the female vocals and are willing to go a little more stoner, there's a whole subgenre of occultish, female led stoner/doom out there for you: Blood Ceremony, Devil's Blood, Jess and the Ancient Ones, Witch Mountain, Royal Thunder, Electric Wizard, Windhand, Dark Castle, Jex Thoth. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but there's plenty of ground to tread.

This list is lacking Jucifer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Pallbearer is loving awesome and Steven Hyden wrote a nice little thing on them over at Grantland.
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/pallbearer-a-kinder-gentler-more-openhearted-but-still-punishing-doom-metal-band/

I rolled my eyes at this part, but I don't care if they become the new hipster favorites:

quote:

Foundations has already been proclaimed as a potential game changer for doom, just as Sunbather was for black metal.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I dunno, it's OK but I really don't feel all the hype for this album. I'm not super into trad doom though so maybe it's just me.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Like, I enjoy Pallbearer but I truly don't get why this is the doom album everyone has latched onto and fallen in love with. It's good. That's about it.

quote:

Foundations has already been proclaimed as a potential game changer for doom, just as Sunbather was for black metal.

This quote is incredible.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sorrow and Extinction got love from places like Pitchfork and Stereogum so it makes sense, but I really don't know how they pick bands to obsess over. The metal tastes of people who don't listen to metal are weird.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looks like The Body are trying to buy a van. I kicked them a few bucks for the limited album, figured that maybe some of the other stoner metal goons would be interested.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
There was even a gushing Pallbearer review in a major Canadian newspaper today. Foundations Of Burden is a solid doom album, but there's nothing groundbreaking about it, so the hype is puzzling.

That new YOB track, though... yikes, that is some scary riffage. I love the minimalist drumming in the heavy part after the quiet guitar break.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Every year, some modern music critics like to heap praise on a "heavy" genre album to show how progressive they are. Last year it was Deafheaven, a few years ago it was hosed Up. This year it's Pallbearer.

All three are great albums, I'm just saying it seems super weird and transparent when this happens. Then next year everyone will go back to not giving a poo poo about doom, and there will be a review that's like "Album X is really the album that's going to push drone metal in to the mainstream!"

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Anecdotally, I don't usually chat in real life with people about this kind of music because I don't have any friends who have anything of value say about the genre are that into it. However I recently had two unexpected conversations with guys wanting to talk about the new Pallbearer. It has been kind of weird. I haven't seen another new doom album get this kind of publicity. Somebody is doing something right it seems. Good for Pallbearer. I'm still trying to get into the album, I've only gotten to stream a couple of the tracks so far, the production sure is an improvement from the first album. Though I slightly miss the sound they had going on the first album with the melody guitar parts. So far the vocals seem like a huge step up and pretty impressive. Maybe that's what's getting peoples attention?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Every year, some modern music critics like to heap praise on a "heavy" genre album to show how progressive they are. Last year it was Deafheaven, a few years ago it was hosed Up. This year it's Pallbearer.

All three are great albums, I'm just saying it seems super weird and transparent when this happens. Then next year everyone will go back to not giving a poo poo about doom, and there will be a review that's like "Album X is really the album that's going to push drone metal in to the mainstream!"

I agree entirely, I just want to know how they pick those albums. Is it a matter of band PR pushing them to the right reviewers?

hosed Up is kind of different because their sound actually appeals to indie fans as much as anything. All of my college friends admit they got into David Comes to Life because it sounds like The Hold Steady with screaming (particularly songs like The Other Shoe). He also managed to get into Refused, At the Drive-In and Mastodon's Leviathan with some pushing from me, which reminds me that Mastodon are another weird example of hipster favoritism.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Blast Fantasto posted:

"Album X is really the album that's going to push drone metal in to the mainstream!"
Sunn O))) are somewhat well known outside of doom circles, but I think that's in large part to Stephen O'Malley being really good at promoting them and collaborating with a wide range of artists. Their live shows are really as much performance art as music. I don't know whether that leads people into drone in general or if it's more like Merzbow where loads of people have heard of him but still almost nobody actually listens to his records.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

YOB's "Nothing to Win" is fantastic. I was sceptical about the new album (I dislike everything Neurosis and Neurot) but I'm glad to see YOB's YOB. Super stoked they might even outreach the peak that is "Adrift in the Ocean".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Interesting- I've always felt that "Adrift In The Ocean" was one of their weaker tunes, since it reuses some of the riffs from Middian's "Dreamless Eye."