Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

Just curious, what power supply did you get to replace the OCZ? Wonder if either it's not as good as the one that burned, or something else got hosed when the old one died.

It's a beQuiet Straightpower E9 680W, I'm not familiar with beQuiet but I heard it's a pretty good PSU, the OCZ PSU was bought in like 2007 and stayed in it's sealed box until 2014, it burned a diode after 2 months of use and I only have a 770GTX SLI (literaly burned, the pcb is all black)

I suspected the motherboard was damaged but it has a digital pwm stage so no idea http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/990fx%20extreme3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

This review has both the G3258 and FX-4350 in the comparisons: http://www.techspot.com/review/849-intel-pentium-anniversary-edition-overclock/page10.html.

At stock speeds, the FX-4350 seems to be faster in most applications (except for certain video encoding tasks), but the G3258 beats it on some CPU-limited games. If you overclock the G3258, then it pulls ahead of the (stock) 4350 in video encoding and gains more of a lead in those CPU-limited games. But, this isn't comparing to whatever overclock you can achieve with the FX-4350. Like Factory Factory said, the G3258 still consumes a lot less power, even overclocked.

I don't know what other comparisons are around for these two, but it looks like if you want significantly better performance in general computing tasks, you basically have to spend more and move up to something like a Core i5.

edit: Benchmarks from Anandtech
Pentium G3258: Apps, Games
AMD FX-4350: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1273

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 3, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Sh4 posted:

I made the switch to AMD because poorness and got a FX-4350 which is fairly disappointing, I had an Athlon X6 1090T and I'm pretty sure it was performing better even at a lower frequency but anyway.

I had it OCed to 5Ghz stable for a while then my PSU burnt out (OCZ 900W so no surprise). I got another power supply (a better one) and now I can't OC at all, increasing bus speed and lowering ram and HT multipliers make it unstable as hell, it even crashes on desktop after booting, any tips ?

As I'm sure you found out by now, its been downhill for a while. That being said I'm assuming returning poo poo isn't an option (although I'd seriously consider outright selling and getting something else).

This is my anecdote. I had a lovely PSU go bad with an AMD 3 core-> 4 core unlock that I overclocked. I could not overclock with a new PSU. I thought I might have damaged the CPU, and I did, but I also damaged 16 gb of ram (every stick) and the motherboard. Which is something I didn't know until I actually tested out each and every single computer in a separate computer which took forever.

It otherwise booted and ran despite all of that being damaged in some way. After a while I got blue screens, and poor performance in general, and another aspect was being unable to successfully overclock the same CPU despite having been overclocked before the bad PSU.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sh4 posted:

but it's still decent value for money and I'm pretty sure it's better than that cheap pentium.

Both of these assumptions are wrong. In situations that are not heavily threaded, that overclocked $50 pentium is faster than any CPU AMD currently produces, even if you overclock as far as you can go. You could also step to a Core i3 if you are afraid of the Pentium branding and have better performance in games.

All of these will save you money if your PC is on or used frequently through measurably lower power usage. Unfortunately, at the moment buying AMD is like lighting some money on fire and settling for lower performance at the same time. When AMD makes a part that's a good value for money, I'll be the first to advocate for them.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

As I'm sure you found out by now, its been downhill for a while. That being said I'm assuming returning poo poo isn't an option (although I'd seriously consider outright selling and getting something else).

This is my anecdote. I had a lovely PSU go bad with an AMD 3 core-> 4 core unlock that I overclocked. I could not overclock with a new PSU. I thought I might have damaged the CPU, and I did, but I also damaged 16 gb of ram (every stick) and the motherboard. Which is something I didn't know until I actually tested out each and every single computer in a separate computer which took forever.

It otherwise booted and ran despite all of that being damaged in some way. After a while I got blue screens, and poor performance in general, and another aspect was being unable to successfully overclock the same CPU despite having been overclocked before the bad PSU.

Might be the same problem, yesterday I went to a friend and I took my graphic card with me, he has some kind of extreme i7 cpu on socket 2011 and tried my graphic card on his computer and he gets like 50FPS in games where I get like 10-20 so I think it's obvious my cpu is poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Can someone who overclocked a Lynnfield let me know what ballpark I should hope to end up in, as far as voltage and clock on an i7-860? I skipped that whole generation and went E8400 -> i5-2500K. I just got a hand-me-down i7-860 that I'm using as a HTPC, but it's just barely too slow to hold 60FPS on some stuff. I'm sure it's a CPU bottleneck.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sh4 posted:

That would be a hell of a downgrade

... Uh, no. Especially not in games, where the overclocked Pentium would kick rear end.

Also, you have a useful socket, and could upgrade to something like a 4690K later and slaughter every available AMD CPU. Bonus: not having a space heater for a PC.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 5, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Twerk from Home posted:

Can someone who overclocked a Lynnfield let me know what ballpark I should hope to end up in, as far as voltage and clock on an i7-860? I skipped that whole generation and went E8400 -> i5-2500K. I just got a hand-me-down i7-860 that I'm using as a HTPC, but it's just barely too slow to hold 60FPS on some stuff. I'm sure it's a CPU bottleneck.

IIRC, you should be able to hit 4 GHz by around 1.35-1.4V, which is a safe voltage at the 45 nm node. Remember to disable Turbo Boost on Lynnfield, because it doesn't operate on the same logic as Sandy Bridge and later - when you set a multiplier, Turbo Boost 1.0 will still operate and add 1x or 2x above and beyond based on load.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
So, now the gf has gone back to Berlin,
I have time to regret my impulse purchase of yet another RoG board (max VI formula), this time an 1150, plus, one of those pentium's, until I can afford an i7 or whatever 1150 22nm xeon.
I was "huuurrrr deeerrr huuuur" about the whole thing because "2 cores", after some thought, or a simulacra therof,
I realised I was being a moron, as hardly anything I use my present machine for actually uses multithreading or anything over 1 core without some gentle persuasion with the task manager,

This is after getting a 2011 rampage IV extreme board, putting it into a case, getting a radiator and just forgetting about it.

Is there a 12 step course for people with attention spans measuring in nm?
Anyway, I'll be using air for a bit until finances improve, so we can compare the amd vs this pentium if you like, SH4.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Since it's a cheap chip you're going to replace, just crank up the multiplier as far as it will go, 44 to 48x most likely, at the voltage necessary - not exceeding 1.4V or 80C under stress test. Safer voltage is 1.30-1.35, which is also the reasonable limit for the stock cooler. Nothing else needs tweaking, though if your RAM is faster than DDR3-1333, set the XMP profile, too.

In case it's not clear, be sure to stress test at each multiplier/voltage combination you try.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

There's no problem with getting the mobo you want and throwing a pentium in there for the time being simply because the price difference is so extreme. The only issue I have is its probably a poor choice if you plan on waiting too long (or just never upgrade... another serious possibility). I don't know. I can tell you now an i5 or i7 is simply better in every way (even single threaded - cache) but is it 5 times better? 7 times better? gently caress no. Not for games anyways, and very basic use.

My fear with this is you'll be so happy with the pentium's performance that you won't feel the need to change. Is that really a bad thing? No, but, it seems weird to have that motherboard then. But then is even that really a bad thing? Are the advantages of that motherboard really any different between the penitum and any k processor?

This pentium brings up some weird questions for me.

But anyways, what Factory Factory said.

Since you have a real deal overclocking motherboard you can go further with it too. Next things to tweak after vcore is vrin and cache voltage, but I doubt that will be important before you hit stock cooler limitations. Passed that it gets complicated and usually kind of pointless so I stop at that point.

Before you overclock set all your motherboard power settings to "High". I wish I could be more specific but I am unfamiliar with the ROG bios. Things like LLC especially seem to matter at higher voltages, at least for me.

But start with what Factory said and you'll likely be good to go until you get a cooler.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I say it in the OP but I'll repeat it - I'm not a fan of using LLC instead of straight up adding more to the voltage offset. I get that Vdroop can be annoying, but using LLC is the same thing as adding voltage except it's less explicit about how much you're adding.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I only have a singular experience with LLC settings so I'll defer to you for sure. By offset though do you mean auto-offset? In that case I always set that to 0. But I got to the point where I was at my highest self imposed thermal limit along with a vcore so on the tipping point 0.01-0.02 would cause it to crash, the best solution I came to was LLC "extreme" and zero offset

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am in a pretty bizarre situation with the pentium, like I say, realistically I have no practical use for lots of threads,
I have 3 usable lga2011 boards now and a bent pin one I need to decide what to do with, as I paid peanuts for a couple of them, my options are open, I think I will build up a couple and sell them, give one to my gf, (a nice upgrade from her core 2 duo)and stick with using the lga1150 max for the moment, its just weird with being so spoilt for choice after years of staying way behind the latest gen, its amazing what you can pick up on ebay.

tempezt
Oct 28, 2011
ok guys when I was lot younger, i came a cross something I think is was call phit (could some help me out here please) pump. it was made from n type and n type. very simply who could get zero degree cooling. a friend of mind froze his CPU chip. he said he mega over clock and it still froze with ice on it. I wonder if you can still get them and where? the problem is there are just too good at cooling.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

tempezt posted:

ok guys when I was lot younger, i came a cross something I think is was call phit (could some help me out here please) pump. it was made from n type and n type. very simply who could get zero degree cooling. a friend of mind froze his CPU chip. he said he mega over clock and it still froze with ice on it. I wonder if you can still get them and where? the problem is there are just too good at cooling.

Peltier elements are all I can think of, but they're made from p-type and n-type semiconductors. Problem is, overall you've got even more heat than before to dissipate from the hot side, so it never really worked out as being that great.

tempezt
Oct 28, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Peltier elements are all I can think of, but they're made from p-type and n-type semiconductors. Problem is, overall you've got even more heat than before to dissipate from the hot side, so it never really worked out as being that great.

ok thank you. so sound like you need a standard cooling system as well. a problem that needs to be solved or can be solved.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
FYI we're well past the stage where the obstacle to a high overclock is heat. Fundamental limits of the silicon and degredation from high voltage make a peltier cooler near-useless for modern chips. Go liquid nitrogen for your suicide runs, or stick to air or water for 24/7 use.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I recently got a couple of peltiers as they were cheap and piqued my curiosity. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321401156418?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I suspect they will be pretty useless, but I find the idea interesting.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I'm a little familiar with those for things other than CPU cooling. Be warned though, cheap ones are cheap for a reason, if you're going to use them for CPU's.

One :effort: thing I thought of in that past was slapping one to the side of an endtank of a double-thick style asetek water cooler, if it were routed outside the case anyway. I dunno how practical that would be, but being non-critical you could use cheap rear end ones with thermal adhesive

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
FrozenCPU sells what I think are halfway decent Peltiers. At least, they cost a bunch more than $5 and are explicitly rated for their power consumption.

I morbidly wonder what the power draw would be cooling an FX-9590 with a 245W Peltier.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thats the reason I did not want to drop much dough on a couple, my computer is on practically all the time I am at home, as a basement dwelling hermit that's rather a lot, having the option to not drastically oc whatever I am using and run a couple of waterblocks at minimum settings is appealing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I'm getting back into overclocking and wanting to use 4x GT-14s on an H100i. Would something like this fan hub work for being able to control them all at the same rate? I'm using an ASUS motherboard so I would be configuring the fans via the BIOS/AI Suite.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Dat's a lotta fans.

I think that thing is designed for exactly what you want to use it for. Phanteks is a good company, if you haven't heard of them - they make the superb TC-14PE air cooler and ludicrously good (if a bit large) Enthoo series of cases.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'd make sure you mess with your OC and read up on what's new before getting the fans. I loaded my case up with fans then it turned out the voltages I'd need to push to for temps to be a concern are way too high to safely run 24/7 anyway (using a Hyper 212+ on a 2500k).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I had my H60 CLC die on me today (CPU was hitting 80c, BIOS read N/A for pump "fan" speed) -- thankfully my system shut itself down. The sales guy said he had an H60 die on him too. Is this something that's plaguing H60s? I had them replace it with same, but now I'm wondering if I should have picked up something different. I was just about to start thinking about OCing my i7 920 but now I'm worried this is going to donk out again in a week.

I would have though tit was one of those things where if it survives the first day it will run forever. But it took like 8 days to die.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

It isn't a very complicated mechanism. I wouldn't really worry about another one going bad to be honest

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Factory Factory posted:

Dat's a lotta fans.

I think that thing is designed for exactly what you want to use it for. Phanteks is a good company, if you haven't heard of them - they make the superb TC-14PE air cooler and ludicrously good (if a bit large) Enthoo series of cases.

Thanks! Yeah, I figured I would throw as much cooling capacity as possible at it - it's a 3570K but given the variability in IB overclocking we'll see how it goes.

teh_Broseph posted:

I'd make sure you mess with your OC and read up on what's new before getting the fans. I loaded my case up with fans then it turned out the voltages I'd need to push to for temps to be a concern are way too high to safely run 24/7 anyway (using a Hyper 212+ on a 2500k).
Well IB can be highly variable, so we'll see how high I can go with it (drat Intel for moving away from fluxless solder for the IHS!). I did buy the $20 Intel protection coverage so if something happens to the 3570K due to my attempts at overclocking it I won't worry too much.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Martytoof posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I had my H60 CLC die on me today (CPU was hitting 80c, BIOS read N/A for pump "fan" speed) -- thankfully my system shut itself down. The sales guy said he had an H60 die on him too. Is this something that's plaguing H60s? I had them replace it with same, but now I'm wondering if I should have picked up something different. I was just about to start thinking about OCing my i7 920 but now I'm worried this is going to donk out again in a week.

I would have though tit was one of those things where if it survives the first day it will run forever. But it took like 8 days to die.
An H60 isn't really going to cut it for overclocking a 920 at reasonable volume anyways so you might have dodged a bullet. You're going to want a higher-end CLC unit for that chip or otherwise look into aircooling. A used Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 would be enough and not too expensive if you don't mind doing push-pull 120mm fans, or something like this would handle that chip with no problems if you don't want to step up to an H80i or something.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I have one the of the original batches of 4770K haswell that came out of costa rica that microcenter sold back in 2013. I want to try and squeeze some more performance so I tried to OC it and got only about 4.2 on 1.28V @ 36-38C using a 100i. At this point should I think about deliding the CPU to see if I can hit 4.6-4.8 ?

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
What's are the value-oriented favorites for cooling a 4690k?

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

El Kabong posted:

What's are the value-oriented favorites for cooling a 4690k?

What is your definition of value? Cheap or great price:performance? You can't really go wrong with a 212 evo but it'll only net you a small overclock. I recently bought a Swiftech h220x and you get top of the line water cooling parts packaged in a expandable AIO solution.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

CheeseSpawn posted:

I have one the of the original batches of 4770K haswell that came out of costa rica that microcenter sold back in 2013. I want to try and squeeze some more performance so I tried to OC it and got only about 4.2 on 1.28V @ 36-38C using a 100i. At this point should I think about deliding the CPU to see if I can hit 4.6-4.8 ?

Delidding will only help if you're heat-limited, and it doesn't sound like you are. If you can't hit 4.6 GHz at 1.35V or whatever crazy voltage you feel safe at with the H100i (albeit at 100 C), you won't hit it after delidding.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

horchata posted:

What is your definition of value? Cheap or great price:performance? You can't really go wrong with a 212 evo but it'll only net you a small overclock. I recently bought a Swiftech h220x and you get top of the line water cooling parts packaged in a expandable AIO solution.

Impressions/results on the H220X? It seemed like the best choice to replace a noisy H100, but then I found out Swiftech had an even better pump in the works. It's not dying anytime soon and I'm holding out for what their plans are with the thing after they've tested the market's waters (:haw:) with it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Factory Factory posted:

Delidding will only help if you're heat-limited, and it doesn't sound like you are. If you can't hit 4.6 GHz at 1.35V or whatever crazy voltage you feel safe at with the H100i (albeit at 100 C), you won't hit it after delidding.

If you gonna spend for like $100+ for a Z97 mobo + cooling, might well buy the better binned 4790K to run at stock with a cheaper mobo which mine only runs 1.05V @ 4.2GHz 4C/8T and HT enabled. Ever since Devil's Canyon I always find it kinda pointless to spend so much to OC a 4690K for like ~400MHz more.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

horchata posted:

212 Evo it is. Newegg has it for $24 with a $10 rebate. Thanks bud!

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Impressions/results on the H220X? It seemed like the best choice to replace a noisy H100, but then I found out Swiftech had an even better pump in the works. It's not dying anytime soon and I'm holding out for what their plans are with the thing after they've tested the market's waters (:haw:) with it.

I highly recommend it. It has a good performance:noise ratio and everything is pwm controlled so the fans/pump aren't running at 100% all the time like the h100. Only downside is that you can only really mount it one way because of the tube length.

Beck
Dec 8, 2003

CheeseSpawn posted:

I've got one of the original ones too, and I can't hold stable at 4.3ghz at any voltage combination. I researched a lot trying to find an answer, and apparently there was just a large batch of early Haswells that were terrible overclockers. Luckily nothing I do comes close to pushing it to its CPU limit, and I got it for as cheap as possible, so it's not a big loss.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Palladium posted:

If you gonna spend for like $100+ for a Z97 mobo + cooling, might well buy the better binned 4790K to run at stock with a cheaper mobo which mine only runs 1.05V @ 4.2GHz 4C/8T and HT enabled. Ever since Devil's Canyon I always find it kinda pointless to spend so much to OC a 4690K for like ~400MHz more.

I hear DC is a crapshoot as well. Thanks for the feedback all, I guess I'll wait for the next decent refresh and chuck this thing to my brother at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

CheeseSpawn posted:

I hear DC is a crapshoot as well. Thanks for the feedback all, I guess I'll wait for the next decent refresh and chuck this thing to my brother at the time.

I heard only the ones made in 2013 are. I forgot what the code is to look for though