Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah, it reached epidemic level proportions in those days as these old commercials show.

Even if the sales never quite reached the levels you'd think they did, Mega Man at least felt like he was just as prolific as all the other big names of the times.

The only thing I can think of when I see the second commercial is "gently caress, I don't think any of those kids could actually beat Network Transmission." That game was ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd like to replay Network Transmission someday because people always talk about it being super-duper hard and what I mostly remember was burning through it in a day and being kinda disappointed so I want to see the ridiculous stuff I forgot about.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TARDISman posted:

The only thing I can think of when I see the second commercial is "gently caress, I don't think any of those kids could actually beat Network Transmission." That game was ridiculous.

This kid did. :smug:

Granted I think I looked up a couple of boss walkthroughs. gently caress that game for not telling you you can slide under bosses legs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom posted:

I'd like to replay Network Transmission someday because people always talk about it being super-duper hard and what I mostly remember was burning through it in a day and being kinda disappointed so I want to see the ridiculous stuff I forgot about.

It's pretty much just a ton of tedious bullshit. Wouldn't recommend it unless you really like grinding money to make your buster jump from worst to best weapon while you kill everything ever with an overpowered Castlevania axe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Even if the sales never quite reached the levels you'd think they did, Mega Man at least felt like he was just as prolific as all the other big names of the times.

Red Letter Media's video game show talked about Sonic being effectively a product of marketing, and I think that applies just as much, if not moreso, to Mega Man. Mega Man's games were all pretty good, but they were never really much more than pretty solid additions to their genres. But there were so many of them, and he was just pushed so hard for so long, that he scored a position in video game history by sheer inertia and persistence.

That's not to say he doesn't deserve his spot in gaming history, far from it. But he didn't get there by shattering boundaries, or anything; he was just there for a long goddamn time.

gecs
Oct 23, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Red Letter Media's video game show talked about Sonic being effectively a product of marketing, and I think that applies just as much, if not moreso, to Mega Man. Mega Man's games were all pretty good, but they were never really much more than pretty solid additions to their genres. But there were so many of them, and he was just pushed so hard for so long, that he scored a position in video game history by sheer inertia and persistence.

That's not to say he doesn't deserve his spot in gaming history, far from it. But he didn't get there by shattering boundaries, or anything; he was just there for a long goddamn time.

I'd say the original series was rather novel. The idea of defeating bosses in any order you wanted and then taking their weapons afterwards to use as you liked was something you didn't see in a lot of games at the time (of course, later entries didn't innovate on it much outside of the slide). It's also the one formula that comes to mind when people think Megaman, so it's iconic in its own right.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Are the GC controllers gonna be usable in other games too? Like is it basically a shell for a pro controller?

Why am I even asking I told myself I won't get a Wii u

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are the GC controllers gonna be usable in other games too? Like is it basically a shell for a pro controller?

I'm actually curious if they'll work on an OG Gamecube, seeing as I only have two controllers and one's an offbrand one with a lovely non-textured control stick and a bum r button.

I'd assume yes, but WHAT IF

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
What are some of the top overlooked characters in Smash? Like, most people know about characters like top tier, space animals, and there's always hype for the new blood, but which characters do you think people will ignore or play less of for whatever reason, be it unpopularity or low tier or whatever?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, I think Smash's big thing is that since it's actual characters who already exist that every single character has a pre-built fanbase. There's no real characters who get super ignored, save maybe ROB.

Like, in tournaments people are gonna gravitate towards the best characters, with a few outliers, but in casual online play there's definitely gonna be a decently even spread.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, that's a bit of an odd question. I mean, there's always characters that will be overshadowed in competitive play due to other, stronger characters (Peach and Pit were both found to be good characters that both failed to make any vertical tier movement in Brawl thanks to terrible matchups against Metaknight, Pikachu took forever to get traction in Melee thanks to being Shiek's ideal chaingrab target making Pikachu really really hard to play in brackets stuffed full with Shiek players) but in Casual play people play what people like and the only 'overlooked' dudes will be the ones who nobody in your play group really gravitates towards. So... I guess characters from less-popular franchises who don't have a terribly exciting or unique playstyles?

Crawfish posted:

To be fair, what decent Mega Man game has been released since the SNES besides Mega Man 9 or 10?

I'm sure if Capcom actually made something people wanted to buy, the franchise wouldn't be so underwhelming sales wise.

There's been plenty of good Mega Mans released since X3 on the SNES, but yeah, the only ones that sold particularly well are the Battle Network games. Mega Man's like Castlevania in that it's a series that all the old school players gush over but has never seemed to figure out how to crack real actual mainstream success in the last twenty years.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nftyw posted:

What are some of the top overlooked characters in Smash? Like, most people know about characters like top tier, space animals, and there's always hype for the new blood, but which characters do you think people will ignore or play less of for whatever reason, be it unpopularity or low tier or whatever?

Miis and Wii-Fit Trainer. Probably Palutena and Rosalina. Who else is there that most people won't be interested if you're getting into this game and born in the 2000's?

But since this is the fourth game in the series and it's most returning characters there's not much that people might not play.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Probably Palutena and Rosalina. Who else is there that most people won't be interested if you're getting into this game and born in the 2000's?
Iunno, Rosalina seems pretty popular, though I could see her complexity turning young kids off, and Uprising sold decently, didn't it?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

From my experience of playing Brawl and Project M on the first floor of my dorm with random people jumping in and out, I almost never see anyone pick Olimar, Yoshi, R.O.B., or Wario. I dunno why but the people I've played with just don't really care about those guys I guess. Of the new guys in Smash 4 I suspect that the Mii Fighters won't be used often just because playing as a default Mii is boring and making your own takes time that could be spent Smashing Bros. I also suspect that Rosalina will become less common just because of her higher learning curve. Beyond that I dunno, maybe Palutena?

edit: I should note that I'm talking purely about casual play here. Competitively speaking Rosalina's higher difficulty curve won't matter as much, and Palutena looks like she kind of might be amazing.

Ms. Unsmiley fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 14, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

Iunno, Rosalina seems pretty popular, though I could see her complexity turning young kids off, and Uprising sold decently, didn't it?

Basically, I'm saying I have no idea who people may not play as.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I wake up and the first thing I see is that Mega Man has another game breaker on his moveset. Metal Blade just wasn't enough, huh? What's next, Pharaoh Shot and the Rush Jet? (yes please Sakurai)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope you push UP+B to summon beat, and either via distance or another button press you let him go and he keeps going up until he explodes damaging everything near him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A lot of who gets picked in casual play depends on the crowd. If I played with people about my age, like my brother and sister, the picks would trend towards the Gen 1 pokemon and Mario/Zelda, because that's what was popular when we were kids. If I let my younger cousins and nephews/nieces play, the picks would be Greninja, Greninja, Lucina, and Greninja.

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well considering the Gamecube controller only has 8 buttons, two sticks and a d-pad

And the Wii U Pro Controller has 12 buttons, two sticks, and a d-pad

I'm going to guess no, although I'm sure some games will have extra support for Gamecube controllers.

also you should get a wii u you dummy

Edit: v Yeah forgot about the stick buttons. Edited.

LaserBaconMan fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 14, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pro controller has twelve buttons. Four shoulder, four face, two middle, and two stick buttons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LaserBaconMan posted:

Well considering the Gamecube controller only has 8 buttons, two sticks and a d-pad

And the Wii U Pro Controller has 10 buttons, two sticks, and a d-pad

I'm going to guess no, although I'm sure some games will have extra support for Gamecube controllers.

The GCN controller would be perfect if it had a second Z bumper, R3/L3 (C3?) clickly sticks and a select button IMO.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

Uprising doesn't even need to be popular with kids, I had no idea who Marth was in Melee but I thought he was really cool. I also had no idea who Samus was (aside from that she was a girl) in 64 and thought she was super cool too. If a character looks cool, even if you don't know who they are you can still gravitate towards them.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RareAcumen posted:

Miis and Wii-Fit Trainer. Probably Palutena and Rosalina. Who else is there that most people won't be interested if you're getting into this game and born in the 2000's?

But since this is the fourth game in the series and it's most returning characters there's not much that people might not play.

There will be tons of Rosalinas, if the past two Mario Kart games are of any indication.

LaserBaconMan posted:

And the Wii U Pro Controller has 12 buttons, two sticks, and a d-pad

Edit: v Yeah forgot about the stick buttons. Edited.

I thought along those lines at first, too, but then look at how much support the Wiimote gets on the Wii U. Combined with the nunchuk, it has like 2 buttons.

enojy fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 14, 2014

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I'm almost certain that there are more people who have played as Ness or Lucas than people who have played Earthbound.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

I'm almost certain that there are more people who have played as Ness or Lucas than people who have played Earthbound.
There's definitely more people who have played Captain Falcon than have played F-Zero.

Heck, we're approaching a point where there's been more Smash games than F-Zero games.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

and we've already reached a point where there's more Smash games than Mother games :(

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
From my times playing Smash pretty much nobody liked picking Yoshi. Jigglypuff has always gotten poo poo but goddamn is she too good to ignore(In Melee). I feel when it comes to Smash 4 that Zelda may get less play time since Shiek was always the better half of the two so with them seperated it makes it easy for those people who like Shiek to stick with Shiek.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I've played Brawl with like four different groups of 'regulars' over the years as I've gone from St. Louis and highschool friends to Kansas City and college friends, and found both groups changing a lot as stuff went on, but there's some pretty standard trends across those groups.

The characters played the most were always Peach, Ganondorf, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Kirby, Metaknight, Zelda/Sheik, Samus, Wario, Sonic, and Snake.

The characters that only very rarely got played were Mario, Luigi, Ice Climbers, Olimar, ROB, Bowser, Lucas, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Falco, and Diddy Kong.

Everyone else was kind of a coin-flip. I know this means Marth, Ice Climbers, and Fox were probably less common with us than a lot of other groups, and Sonic being part of the 'common' group is basically just due to people liking the character instead of him being actually good, but these pools stayed basically the same. Game & Watch was only ever really played by me, but I played him pretty frequently, so he was basically guaranteed to show up once or twice when we got together to play.

Yoshi showed up more often than most of the characters on that rarely-used list though. His eggs were really fun to use to harass people with once you got the hang of their arc and could hit reliably with them, so everyone did that once in a while.

But more than anything we did all-random matches. Random is top tier.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

- Wii U = $300+
- GC Adapter = $20
- Four brand new Smash GC controllers = $120 (4 x $30)
- Game = $60

$500+ dollars to be the coolest kid on the block when this hits shelves in a couple months

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Excels posted:

$500+ dollars to be the coolest kid on the block when this hits shelves in a couple months

Be smart about spendin' that money!

- Refurbished WiiU from Nintendo's website = $200 + $20 for shipping
- Smash Bros + Controller + Adapter bundle = $100
- Three Smash GC controllers = $90

Brings us to a little over $410, cheaper if you can take advantage of some Amazon or Gamestop deals. And you even get Nintendoland with that Wii U.

It is my master plan for Smash Bros come the holidays.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The GCN controller would be perfect if it had a second Z bumper, R3/L3 (C3?) clickly sticks and a select button IMO.

My opinion from the beginning was that they should add those buttons to the base design and cram the Pro controller hardware into it to make a sort of Wavebird 2.0 rather than produce an adapter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

- Wii U = $300+
- GC Adapter = $20
- Four brand new Smash GC controllers = $120 (4 x $30)
- Game = $60

The coolest kid on the block would already have four GameCube controllers and a WiiU.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

My opinion from the beginning was that they should add those buttons to the base design and cram the Pro controller hardware into it to make a sort of Wavebird 2.0 rather than produce an adapter.
But the adapter lets you use the gamecube controllers you've had since 2002.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

But the adapter lets you use the gamecube controllers you've had since 2002.

You can only benefit from that fact if you have any gamecube controllers laying around. :ssh: Most new players aren't going to have any, nor will anyone who lost/sold theirs within that 12 year span.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, but I think a decent number of people still have theirs around, especially since a good few Wii games supported them.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

Where would you put the second stick?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

In any case, I'll be giving the Wii U Pro controller a spin this time around. It's the best controller they've put out in a while, so it would be a waste to immediately pass it over in favor of an ancient design right away.

If it winds up not working for smash, then I'll break down and grab an adapter/GC controller.

Heatwizard posted:

Where would you put the second stick?
Are you somehow not aware that the C-stick is a second stick?

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

Are you somehow not aware that the C-stick is a second stick?

...Damnit.

Look, they used to be buttons, okay? Back off :(

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I am personally super glad that they are reissuing Gamecube controllers, as most of mine are pretty beat up or have broken sticks. It will be nice to be able to play Gamecube games again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

greatn posted:

The coolest kid on the block would already have four GameCube controllers and a WiiU.

I have eight GameCube controllers and a WiiU so I am 1.5x cooler than that kid :agesilaus:

• Locked thread