Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Raiding is extremely profitable you just need to make axes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i dearly hope that someone somewhere some day makes awake great siddha rushing to axes work, because range 10 raids are silly and funny.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Does anyone have a reliable strategy for getting D gems from scythe whose crop is pain without having an agreement with another play to exchange provinces? I tried casting phantasmal attack and also the longdead attack spell on my own provinces but apparently those units are mindless which means the scythe doesn't generate D gems from them. Are there any other tricks out there?

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 12, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheresNoThyme posted:

Does anyone have a reliable strategy for getting reliable D gems from scythe whose crop is pain without having an agreement with another play to exchange provinces? I tried casting phantasmal attack and also the longdead attack spell on my own provinces but apparently those units are mindless which means the scythe doesn't generate D gems from them. Are there any other tricks out there?

Attack kitfox.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

i dearly hope that someone somewhere some day makes awake great siddha rushing to axes work, because range 10 raids are silly and funny.
Just make sure to forge him a copper arm for a Lantern Shield to go with a second Implementor Axe. Pro poo poo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Attack kitfox.

Just make sure not to actually win and I'll be fine with that. :shepface:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Attack kitfox.

Haha as soon as I read half of the post I was going to post this.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Domstr past 10 was new in Dom4, so really this is just a nerf to new players :v:

TheresNoThyme posted:

Does anyone have a reliable strategy for getting D gems from scythe whose crop is pain without having an agreement with another play to exchange provinces? I tried casting phantasmal attack and also the longdead attack spell on my own provinces but apparently those units are mindless which means the scythe doesn't generate D gems from them. Are there any other tricks out there?

There isn't an easy way without a friend. Possibly pile on Baleful Star and enjoy barbarian attacks, or go find a misfortune generating site and park there, Baleful Star isn't going to be gem efficient.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Hey everybody check out the new let's play thread

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Samog posted:

Hey everybody check out the new let's play thread

Over/under of how many days until it's left unfinished? :P

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What determines the titles your pretender gets?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Paths, dominion strength, and a little luck of the draw.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Man i really need to get better at this game to even understand most of this

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Stevefin posted:

One AI game is enough to get the basics of controlling, recruiting, etc. One goon game is enough to get the basics of tactics and strategy. A lifetime in irc is not enough to become a good player.

Play MP with goons.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Turin Turambar posted:

Over/under of how many days until it's left unfinished? :P

I wonder if there's any other one game that has as poor a track record with LP completion as Dominions.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

ChickenWing posted:

One goon game is enough to get the basics of tactics and strategy.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man that's a good one.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

It took me like 10 games to get a hold of basic concepts, and I still have no idea how to approach most situations that I find myself in. I'm like, incredibly bad though

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah it took me about 10 dom3 games before i go to any point where i considered myself having a hang of the game and even then all my dom4 games have been huge learning experiences.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

:gonk:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man that's a good one.

Even I know its a lie. I have yet to really win against my nearby AI spawns, let alone an AI game and even further so a human MP game. I have yet to really find a play I can push past finding the AI and making pretty borders

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

When I say basic I mean like "Mans in line gud, mans in box vs AoE evos bad" and whatnot. Basic basic basic stuff.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
We should do a disciple game again where theres a vet player as pretender and disciple newbies its a fun way to introduce people.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

One AI game is enough to get the basics of controlling, recruiting, etc.

If we are talking of just bare basics: how to recruit soldiers, how to move people around, how to research a magic school, how to build a fort or a temple, yeah you need just one game. While it's true that's 75% of the game, it isn't all even if we limit ourselves to basics, that's just the stuff shown in the tutorial including in the manual.

garth ferengi posted:

It took me like 10 games to get a hold of basic concepts, and I still have no idea how to approach most situations that I find myself in. I'm like, incredibly bad though

LordLeckie posted:

Yeah it took me about 10 dom3 games before i go to any point where i considered myself having a hang of the game and even then all my dom4 games have been huge learning experiences.

I would say 5 AI games to get basic proficiency, including scouting, supplies, the most common unit special effects, some basic synergies in armies/spells, how many temples to build and how to counter strong dominions, what pace of research is a good one, what pace of expansion in the first year you should aim for, making your first thug (and seeing how much they suck :P), magic path boosting, maybe a basic communion, playing one time a bless nation, playing one blood nation (so learning basic blood hunting), learning how to invade an underwater nation, the two variants of magic site searching, learning the importance of strategic movement, etc.

Stevefin posted:

Even I know its a lie. I have yet to really win against my nearby AI spawns, let alone an AI game and even further so a human MP game. I have yet to really find a play I can push past finding the AI and making pretty borders

Now, you are just bad :).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

LordLeckie posted:

We should do a disciple game again where theres a vet player as pretender and disciple newbies its a fun way to introduce people.

This is an excellent idea, but given the rate at which newbies tend to stop playing and/or stale out of games I feel like it would only end in sorrow.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Stevefin posted:

The strategies that win vs the AI are not strategies that you want to employ vs players, so the opportunity for learning isn't too great. If you wanted to beat the AI:
  • Expand slowly and safely
  • Don't ever attack an AI. They'll generally start neutral with you until an offensive action is made, or eventually they just snap and attack you. But this might not happen for years. This lets you focus on fighting just one or two AI at a time.
  • Use stacks of 40+ PD on borders with AI. They often cannot overcome this.
  • Move in giant deathballs that defeat anything in their path without losses and can siege down forts and take them.
Actual players will punish you easily for all of these approaches. There are some things you can practice vs the AI though.

The first year of expansion is important - you really want to know exactly what troops you need and where to place them vs the various flavors of independent provinces. Against Barbarians, where do you position to make sure your troops get the first hit? Against Horse Tribe, are you better off positioning forward to eat less arrows, or further back to keep your blessing priests further out of harms way? Where do you position to kill off war elephants before they get a turn trampling through your army?

You can also practice how Thug builds/kits and various Raiding Parties do against PD.

My biggest advice to newer players is just make an effort to learn. This game is not handed to you like most games these days... you have to go out and find answers. IRC is great place to swing by with questions as there are usually always several players who are happy to share something. Only a small portion of those IRC conversations filter through to the thread unfortunately. It's just not as interactive here.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

When I say basic I mean like "Mans in line gud, mans in box vs AoE evos bad" and whatnot. Basic basic basic stuff.

Yeah. 10 games.

e: just ask anyone who was in a game with me before like, june, or whenever get help started

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 13, 2014

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Be on IRC all day long talking about Dominions, be in half a dozen games at once, pick the strongest nation, and join a newbie game.

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O
Posting for confirmation, also have a quick question.

I'm off to the Navy in the first week of November, do I have time to join and complete a newbie game prior to leaving? I've not played any multiplayer before.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Stevefin posted:

Come sit in irc and ask a million questions.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Twyst posted:

Posting for confirmation, also have a quick question.

I'm off to the Navy in the first week of November, do I have time to join and complete a newbie game prior to leaving? I've not played any multiplayer before.

Almost certainly

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Have Some Flowers! posted:

The strategies that win vs the AI are not strategies that you want to employ vs players, so the opportunity for learning isn't too great. If you wanted to beat the AI:
  • Expand slowly and safely
  • Don't ever attack an AI. They'll generally start neutral with you until an offensive action is made, or eventually they just snap and attack you. But this might not happen for years. This lets you focus on fighting just one or two AI at a time.
  • Use stacks of 40+ PD on borders with AI. They often cannot overcome this.
  • Move in giant deathballs that defeat anything in their path without losses and can siege down forts and take them.
Actual players will punish you easily for all of these approaches. There are some things you can practice vs the AI though.

The first year of expansion is important - you really want to know exactly what troops you need and where to place them vs the various flavors of independent provinces. Against Barbarians, where do you position to make sure your troops get the first hit? Against Horse Tribe, are you better off positioning forward to eat less arrows, or further back to keep your blessing priests further out of harms way? Where do you position to kill off war elephants before they get a turn trampling through your army?

You can also practice how Thug builds/kits and various Raiding Parties do against PD.

My biggest advice to newer players is just make an effort to learn. This game is not handed to you like most games these days... you have to go out and find answers. IRC is great place to swing by with questions as there are usually always several players who are happy to share something. Only a small portion of those IRC conversations filter through to the thread unfortunately. It's just not as interactive here.

Funny enough this maybe the most useful post on a newbie level I have ever seen. Most of the time its this answer

quote:

Be on IRC all day long talking about Dominions, be in half a dozen games at once, pick the strongest nation, and join a newbie game.

And all of this comes down to time I don't have and experience I am lacking

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

packetmantis posted:

What determines the titles your pretender gets?

The way titles work is you get a big pool of titles your pretender is 'eligible' for and then you get a semi-random number of those titles picked randomly. In general the more starting dom score you have the more titles you get but sometimes even a dom 10 pretender will only have 3 titles.

What titles your pretender is eligible for is literally based on everything; some titles are tied to certain magic paths or combinations of magic paths (death, water and nature will get you access to 'swamp' related titles for example), some titles are tied to starting dom score, some titles are tied to the scales your dominion has, some titles are generic and available to anyone and some titles are only available to specific chassises or specific nations and some titles are tied to a mixture of these things; for example an EA Agarthan (not sure about MA or LA) god with both earth and death can get the "Guardian of the Seal" title, or creator of the seal, something to do with the seal at any rate, I forget what specifically.

Note that due to the semi-random nature of titles it is possible but unlikely that a pgod with fire 9, water 1 will in fact get a water related title despite fire titles making more sense.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:allears: I love every bit of nonsensical bullshit in this game.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Stevefin posted:

Funny enough this maybe the most useful post on a newbie level I have ever seen. Most of the time its this answer

Irc honestly is your best resource. There's too many different nations calling for different strategies for people to be able to give you a good basic strategy that applies to everything in an effortpost. I'm not saying you need to be online 24/7 to benefit, but you should strongly consider joining a beginner game and popping in to irc to ask questions as they come to mind. The more conversational tone of irc tends to let people build on each others advice, and i suppose helps keep the thread free of super specific questions and responses.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

willus posted:

Irc honestly is your best resource. There's too many different nations calling for different strategies for people to be able to give you a good basic strategy that applies to everything in an effortpost. I'm not saying you need to be online 24/7 to benefit, but you should strongly consider joining a beginner game and popping in to irc to ask questions as they come to mind. The more conversational tone of irc tends to let people build on each others advice, and i suppose helps keep the thread free of super specific questions and responses.

Also, people tend to worry that they'll ask stupid questions and annoy people. Don't worry about this. Most of us love to share our knowledge and hopefully draw fresh blood to the game. Don't worry that you'll look dumb - you're a newbie, we expect that you won't know much and will be happy to teach you.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
And the vets find out new information too. Like goddamn perpetual storm interfering with seeking arrows. There is nothing in the documentation to indicate that this would happen.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also when you ask questions sometimes people will be wrong because this gaaaaaame, sometimes people will also lie but you can usually pick that out if you're paying attention and if someone nice is around they'll point it out for you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stevefin posted:

The big secret you have to know about Dominions is that your odds of winning are 50% decided before you even start your first turn. It's a very front-loaded strategy game, we could say. I'm talking of what you choose before: nation, pretender, scales, bless, etc. Yep, 50%.
Take a nation that sounds "cool", pick a pretender that strikes you fancy, and distribute the points more or less even without a real plan in mind (as a first-time player surely do), and you will barely survive.

In the other hand, examine carefully the nation you are going to play, its strong and weak points, the possible synergies between units and spells, the possibilities of blesses, what magic in your Pretender could synergize with the national mages and what magic could complement the areas they lack, what scales are appropriate to maximize the strong points of the army and the economy, what magic path you need to bootstrap a magic booster production, what key spells you should research first, what troops are going to be your expansion army in the first year, if you should take an awake or dormant Pretender taken in account the previous point, etc, and your odds of winning will increase heavily.
It's all about synergizing Nation, Pretender, magic and scales.

Now, that's the general point, that's why people say IRC, because the possible synergy/strategy will be different in each nation and there are different options each.
After that, it's all about snowballing in the first years, take lots of territories, that means more riches, that means more troops and mages, that means more forces to take even more territories, etc.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

The big secret you have to know about Dominions is that your odds of winning are 50% decided before you even start your first turn. It's a very front-loaded strategy game, we could say. I'm talking of what you choose before: nation, pretender, scales, bless, etc. Yep, 50%.
Take a nation that sounds "cool", pick a pretender that strikes you fancy, and distribute the points more or less even without a real plan in mind (as a first-time player surely do), and you will barely survive.

Counterpoint: Taking a nation because I wanted to play Elves and making a pretender based on a theme instead of a plan, resulted in this:

Which resulted in this:

By the way, Kitfox? How many armies makes that yet? Three or four? Maybe you should send a few more mages with them next time? :v:

Edit:

I forgot to add, pick a pretender that strikes your fancy, distribute the points like you want and lead your cool nation to certain doom. Just have fun with it, winning is for losers anyway. Experience comes automatically after a couple dozen games. No need to rush to it without having fun, you know?

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
TRILLWINTER has stealthily added new items! (const-6)

• Locked thread