Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I hope all of our younger goons got the grades they wanted but if not don't fret, University isn't everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

~* Another thing *~

Almost half of the employment increase is self-employment - that is to say, of the people who didn't have jobs last year, but do now, fully 48% of them have started their own businesses and are working for themselves. Dynamic entrepreneurs in waiting, shackled by the welfare system, and now realising their full potential in the free market? Or JSA claimants pushed into unviable and insecure situations so targets can be met? Who can say!

That's now 15% of the entire working population of the UK 'being their own boss'

Contractors count as self employed.

In other news: Cliff loving Richard???

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah uh. :stare:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28790718 posted:

Sir Cliff Richard's Berkshire property searched by police

Police are searching a Berkshire property belonging to Sir Cliff Richard in relation to an alleged historical sex offence.

No arrests have been made and Sir Cliff is not at the property.

A police spokesman said the allegation involved a boy under 16 and dated from the 1980s in the South Yorkshire area.

The search is not connected to Operation Yewtree, police said, but officers from that operation have been notified.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Jedit posted:

Not a surprise, he's been linked to that dodgy guest house and other assorted iffy things many times.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Jedit posted:

Someone actually predicted that earlier in the thread. I think Cliff Richard was trying to excuse the actions of someone else (Rolf Harris?).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
How come they've named him? Don't they normally just say "a hundred and ten year old man from berkshire" and let everyone guess?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ddraig posted:

While minorities obviously have more reason to be concerned about armed police (or just police in general) it is really, really unsettling to see armed police in the UK regardless. It's just something we're not used to. I had never even seen a gun in real life until I was 25

I get why Brits might feel odd about it but people in the auspol thread a while ago were talking about how they don't feel comfortable when they see a gun even on a police officer, which I just find odd, every cop in Australia carries a gun.

quote:

Actually not that different from most countries. There's specialized Firearms Units that can be called in to deal with someone when a weapons involved, which is usually what happens in countries where all their police officers are armed anyway. With the low amount of firearms in the UK it's incredibly rare for an unarmed officer to respond to a call and have a gun pulled on them, normally they know a gun was involved and the Firearm Unit would be the one responding.

I don't just mean against guns, surely even if someone pulls a knife, that puts the cop at a disadvantage? I suppose they have tasers and pepper spray but IIRC those are relatively recent introductions.

While we're on gunchat, this is one of my favourite articles written by a former cop talking about carrying a gun and the use of weapons: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-20/newton-the-weight-of-responsibility/4382130

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pilchenstein posted:

How come they've named him? Don't they normally just say "a hundred and ten year old man from berkshire" and let everyone guess?

If he'd been arrested that'd be the approach, but searching his property is apparently different?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
AKAN

All Knights are nonces.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

freebooter posted:

I don't just mean against guns, surely even if someone pulls a knife, that puts the cop at a disadvantage? I suppose they have tasers and pepper spray but IIRC those are relatively recent introductions.

Tasers are part of the Firearms Unit and don't usually go to regular cops though the MET are always a bit special and Northern Island has its own rules. If they're in a violent area they'll usually have CS spray, a stab vest and a baton.

I've pestered my dad with a few cop questions over the years and I know if someone has a knife you're meant to talk them down. Unless they're about to commit violence you just reason with them and call for backup.

Once police are there for small incidents it's rare for something to happen. People get stabbed or shot before the police can turn up, not after. Then again he worked in South Wales and it's not like we're the crime capital of Britain.

Party Boat posted:

If he'd been arrested that'd be the approach, but searching his property is apparently different?

The press can be sued for libel if an investigation doesn't turn into an arrest. This seems like it'd be libel worthy so it's a bit odd to see.

Fans fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 14, 2014

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Janners are over-represented on SA for some reason, so this is marginally relevant:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/14/trident-missiles-relocate-plymouth-independent-scotland-rusi-report

quote:

There would be no insurmountable technical or financial obstacle to relocating Britain's Trident nuclear missile base to England out of an independent Scotland, a report by a leading thinktank says on Thursday.

Any local opposition might delay but not stop relocation, and the favoured site would be Devonport in Plymouth, it says.

Some opponents of Scottish independence have suggested it would mean the end of the Trident nuclear weapons system and that the cost of moving the submarine base at Faslane and the nuclear warhead depot at Coulport would be prohibitive.

The study by the Royal United Services Institute (Rusi) says that relocating Trident would add up to £3.5bn to the cost of retaining the UK's nuclear forces. The cost of the overall nuclear deterrent programme over 25 years is estimated to be £80bn.

It says that while any relocation could not be completed by the 2020 target date currently proposed by the Scottish government, it could be put off until 2028, the date the new fleet of Trident submarines is due to start entering service.

Devonport, the base for conventionally-armed nuclear submarines, would be the most obvious alternative to Faslane, says the report.

The option "given most credence to date" for storing the submarines' nuclear warheads is the Fal estuary to the north of Falmouth which offered "good shelter and a comparatively isolated location", the report notes.

Milford Haven, cited in the 1960s as a possible Trident base, would be ruled out as 25% of the UK's liquefied natural gas passes through its terminals.

The study acknowledges there would be safety concerns: "Introducing nuclear-armed [submarines] to Devonport will unavoidably introduce a new risk that an accidental ignition of one or all of a submarine's Trident D5 missiles could spread radioactive material over some of Plymouth's 260,000 inhabitants."

"Introducing nuclear-armed [submarines] to Devonport will unavoidably introduce a new risk that an accidental ignition of one or all of a submarine's Trident D5 missiles could spread radioactive material over some of Plymouth's 260,000 inhabitants," eh?

Lets check that with Nukemap. Conclusion: Half the city would be hosed from the detonation of one W76 100kt warhead.

Each vanguard sub carries "up to 48" warheads. I think its pretty safe to assume that if one warhead goes off the others will in sympathetic detonation. In which case, all that is left of Plymouth is a smoking glass crater. Probably not the smartest thing for that study to say.

As it is, Plymouth will probably get it anyway, although that Falmouth stuff is laughable. The current rearmament facility at Faslane is only 5km away, Falmouth is 80 km away. They'll probably reactivate the disused munitions depot built into the hill just north of the tamar crossing instead to do the work.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Zero Gravitas posted:

Each vanguard sub carries "up to 48" warheads. I think its pretty safe to assume that if one warhead goes off the others will in sympathetic detonation. In which case, all that is left of Plymouth is a smoking glass crater. Probably not the smartest thing for that study to say.

No, this isn't how nuclear weapons work. And sorry, but it invalidates anything else you've said here about the subject.

e: Also, 'accidental ignition' isn't talking about a nuclear explosion, it's talking about the ramifications of a mishap with the propulsion on the missile, which is an entirely different affair (and much more likely to happen than an accidental detonation - which has never happened in 60 years of letting klutzy know-nothings in the USAF and USN fiddle about with them)

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 14, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm fairly ignorant about how nuclear weapons work but aren't they pretty much triggered by conventional explosives which have to force the nuclear material together with great force?

I mean, it's not as if there's some big switch that makes the nuclear material start fission immediately. I imagine it would be pretty difficult and take a concerted effort to get them to blow.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ddraig posted:

I'm fairly ignorant about how nuclear weapons work but aren't they pretty much triggered by conventional explosives which have to force the nuclear material together with great force?

I mean, it's not as if there's some big switch that makes the nuclear material start fission immediately. I imagine it would be pretty difficult and take a concerted effort to get them to blow.

They need to be triggered by conventional explosives that are timed within 1nS accuracy, that's to say all of the 30+ charges must detonate simultaneously within a window of around 1nS.

Otherwise you just get a fizzle or (more likely) nothing but a small wimper from the conventional explosives.

At very very worst case if you had a nuclear weapon successfully detonate in the (very close) presence of others, it would simply increase the fissionable mass (which counter-productively will decrease the explosive yield), and you *might* see some boosting from the other warheads booster D/T.

More likely it would just be the single nuclear explosion with some minor shielding from the other warheads.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

No, this isn't how nuclear weapons work. And sorry, but it invalidates anything else you've said here about the subject.

I'll keep my own counsel on that, ta. Most info out there implies that the W76 and W88 are teller ulam designs so even if the original fissile explosive lens first stages dont go up/simply get vaporised I think its a reasonable bet that the fusile second stages do. Not that it really matters anyway because even in the first scenario the entire western half of plymouth becomes a smoking crater.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, Julie Burchill, the famous "militant feminist" and writer of Sugar Rush has a new job, as the agony aunt for the magazine Loaded.

Whose June front page was this:

:downs:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

So, Julie Burchill, the famous "militant feminist" and writer of Sugar Rush has a new job, as the agony aunt for the magazine Loaded.

To think she berates Brooke Magnanti for being a whore...

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The real story here is that loaded still exists. How has it managed to avoid going bust now that people can get infinite pictures of tits for free on their mobiles?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

What's wrong with that front cover?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pissflaps posted:

What's wrong with that front cover?

It would make most media feminists have an apoplectic fit.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

It would make most media feminists have an apoplectic fit.
Isn't that a (bad) wig as well?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Zero Gravitas posted:

I'll keep my own counsel on that, ta. Most info out there implies that the W76 and W88 are teller ulam designs so even if the original fissile explosive lens first stages dont go up/simply get vaporised I think its a reasonable bet that the fusile second stages do. Not that it really matters anyway because even in the first scenario the entire western half of plymouth becomes a smoking crater.

Uhh... nope? If the primary doesn't go critical you by definition do not get fusion in the secondary. The whole point of the primary is to massively compress the secondary to the point where it can fuse. The conventional explosive that starts the primary isn't anywhere near enough to start the secondary.

You have no idea how hard it is to intentionally detonate a nuclear warhead. Let alone accidentally.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It looks like a cover from the 90's.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I can't see Julie Burchill being a good agony aunt tbh, she doesn't strike me as a sympathetic sort or a reliable source of advice about life's various problems.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

It looks like a cover from the 90's.

These magazines all look like something from the 90s because they are.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

StarkingBarfish posted:

You have no idea how hard it is to intentionally detonate a nuclear warhead. Let alone accidentally.

To amplify this point. I fail to remember the full details but only something like 2% of the fissile material dropped on Hiroshima went Supercritical.

In any event whether one warhead or 44 go up at once the situation for Plymouth would still be dire.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

I can't see Julie Burchill being a good agony aunt tbh, she doesn't strike me as a sympathetic sort or a reliable source of advice about life's various problems.

The Telegraph's Agony AuntUncle is Graham Norton, who I wouldn't have said the same about either. He's actually not bad - these columns are far more about entertainment than useful advice anyway - but afaik he's not a transphobic shithole so that probably helps too.

Edit:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Venmoch posted:

To amplify this point. I fail to remember the full details but only something like 2% of the fissile material dropped on Hiroshima went Supercritical.

In any event whether one warhead or 44 go up at once the situation for Plymouth would still be dire.

This is missing the point though. There is no possible way for a warhead to 'go up' unless someone arms and launches one. These aren't fireworks that you can wander up to with a lighter. Arguing even about the specifics of 'what happens if x,y,z occur' is ridiculous because the drat things are so complicated you'd need dozens of impossible to engineer fuckups on a catastrophic scale before you got any criticality at all.

This is all secondary to the discussion though, because what people are failing to notice is that we've had them at faslane for years without something like this happening. Not wanting them in plymouth because of nimbyism is the wrong answer. Not wanting them anywhere because they are literally an expensive penis extension for imperialists is a much more reasonable critique.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

Tasers are part of the Firearms Unit and don't usually go to regular cops though the MET are always a bit special and Northern Island has its own rules. If they're in a violent area they'll usually have CS spray, a stab vest and a baton.
Any idea why they went with CS over OC/pepper spray? Isn't CS a known clastogen that has been linked to miscarriages?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Law enforcement begins before birth.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Guavanaut posted:

Any idea why they went with CS over OC/pepper spray? Isn't CS a known clastogen that has been linked to miscarriages?

I thought most police forces used PAVA now? It's more painful than CS without being as nasty/the effects lasting as long, apparently.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

StarkingBarfish posted:

This is missing the point though. There is no possible way for a warhead to 'go up' unless someone arms and launches one. These aren't fireworks that you can wander up to with a lighter. Arguing even about the specifics of 'what happens if x,y,z occur' is ridiculous because the drat things are so complicated you'd need dozens of impossible to engineer fuckups on a catastrophic scale before you got any criticality at all.

I'm aware of this to, but there have been a few occasions in the past where these weapons haven't acted as expected. However my point was, as far as Plymouth was concerned, it wouldn't make a difference if one warhead exploded or 44 did. Regardless of how they detonated.

The concern that many people have over nuclear weapons regarded of where they're stored is the fact that accidents will happen, and that many warheads aren't "Fail-Safe" (As Fail-Safe warheads may decide not go off when they're used.) Also the lack of a Cold War and an increased focus on conventional terrorism rather than Nuclear War means that quite a few people are blasé when it comes to Nuclear weapons. Not to mention the amount of conventional explosive in a warhead will cause a fair bit of damage if detonated accidently.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
A fission-fusiondesign relies on radiation pressure generated by the detonation of the (fission) primary to compress and ignite the (fusion) secondary.

So yes, you need the precisely-machined explosive lenses around the primary to go off simultaneously for it to work. It is quite difficult to uniformly compress a steel ball with explosives, which is basically how the first stage works. If the timing is even slightly off you just get a load of molten steel squirting out in some random direction. Which is unpleasant, especially since it's plutonium rather than steel, but many many orders of magnitude less unpleasant than what's meant to happen.

Having said that I genuinely don't know what would happen if, somehow, a nuclear warhead went off on a submarine filled with dozens more. You'd probably get some induced fission in the tampers of other weapons from the radiation before the blast wave blew everything to bits. No clue what would happen to the explosive lenses. I wonder if anyone's ever tried blasting RDX with stupendously high levels of gamma radiation before?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 14, 2014

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I've been watching The Thick Of It, and it's just got to the point where Nicola Murray is about to be dropped as leader of the opposition because she supported a policy that lead to someone killing themselves.

:allears:If only...

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

people who capitalise "MET" - what do you think this is an acronym for?

Whitefish posted:

Someone actually predicted that earlier in the thread. I think Cliff Richard was trying to excuse the actions of someone else (Rolf Harris?).

it's the worst kept secret in showbiz that cliff is gay (with consenting adults), and his career started back when that was generally regarded as worse than paedophilia. so he's unsurprisingly been a bit cagey about accusations from the past & people having skeletons in their closet.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I thought most police forces used PAVA now? It's more painful than CS without being as nasty/the effects lasting as long, apparently.

Some UK forces use PAVA, but CS is still used by plenty. No idea as to why exactly if PAVA has less nasty side effects, maybe its cheaper.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Fans posted:

In NI its not just violent areas all officers are have CS gas, a stab vest, baton and a handgun (a Glock 17)which always had a bullet ready in the chamber. The gun is also taken home and is meant to be kept ready to fire at all times. Under certain circumstances they are allowed to take members of their family in to learn to shoot a handgun too. They also use MP5s under certain circumstances such as outside station entrances and in the armed response units, obviously there is further training before officers use them but the station guard officers with them aren't part of a special unit, it is part of a normal officers shift rotation.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cerv posted:

I am glad that I'm not the only one annoyed by this. And also by people who talk about MAC computers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cerv posted:

They're just making up for your inability to begin any sentence with a capital letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:smugbert:

• Locked thread