Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

BaronVonVaderham posted:

True, I guess I was at least assuming he would be UB like Grimgrin or something.

I still think this ability and Havengul Runebinder are weird.

Gissa and Geralf decided to team up to make a zombie army powerful enough to siege Thraben. Its commander, Grimgrin, was made by the two of them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Kabanaw posted:

Gissa and Geralf decided to team up to make a zombie army powerful enough to siege Thraben. Its commander, Grimgrin, was made by the two of them together.

Nerd. :P

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I personally really like how Gisa and Geralf are written. Their relationship pretty much mimics a proper quarreling pair of children. Doing things differently than the other for the sake of being different and occasionally putting with each other because they have to.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Maybe Gisa made Geralf a messenger for his birthday.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Raid is Kaalia, right? I can see it being used for some pretty cool stuff. Give a Raid creature flash and you've got a combat trick attached to a creature. Something like Raid: target creature gains First Strike, Lifelink, and Deathtouch until EOT.

vvvv: white gets flash sometimes.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 14, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Raid is Kaalia, right? I can see it being used for some pretty cool stuff. Give a Raid creature flash and you've got a combat trick attached to a creature. Something like Raid: target creature gains First Strike, Lifelink, and Deathtouch until EOT.

It's definitely an idea, but since it isn't in the colors of flash (green and blue), it probably won't be doing that.

It's also not quite compatible with haste, but it works well with it. Playing a haste creature guarantees you can raid that turn.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If there's a cheap enough red creature w/ a good raid ability, we can have more RDW! Something like a 1/1 for 1 goblin that has raid: put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield under your control

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
For anyone who was still planning on :f5: for the SDCC Planeswalkers they apparently went up and immediately sold out again a few minutes ago, so maybe they'll go up again after they cancel the double orders? :iiam:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

There will probably be at least one Angel, Dragon, or Demon that has raid, and if you put it onto the battlefield with Kaalia its raid will trigger.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

There will probably be at least one Angel, Dragon, or Demon that has raid, and if you put it onto the battlefield with Kaalia its raid will trigger.

It's going to be a dragon. This strikes me as another setting without angels and demons aren't as popular as the other two tribes.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ramos posted:

I personally really like how Gisa and Geralf are written. Their relationship pretty much mimics a proper quarreling pair of children. Doing things differently than the other for the sake of being different and occasionally putting with each other because they have to.

See, I don't follow any of this stuff, so outside of that context a blue dude making zombies out of the graveyard was really weird. It makes much more sense with the candy coating of backstory.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jon Joe posted:

If there's a cheap enough red creature w/ a good raid ability, we can have more RDW! Something like a 1/1 for 1 goblin that has raid: put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield under your control

So a better Mogg War Marshal. I like it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ramos posted:

It's going to be a dragon. This strikes me as another setting without angels and demons aren't as popular as the other two tribes.

It depends on whether Raid sticks around for the other two sets. If it does, it will obviously show up on a dragon. If it doesn't, it can't, because this is the Here There Not Be Dragons set. I'd expect it to stick around because it seems like an easy mechanic to stick on a wide range of cards, but I also didn't expect only a single set of wedges, so who knows.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Emerson Cod posted:

Perfect amount of damage to take out a face-down creature - he's going to be a pretty high pick in limited. Thousand Winds is kind of meh, though if there are ways to turn up facedown creatures for cheaper or free I could see it being pretty nasty.

5/6 flier for 6 with upside is kind of meh?

(I'm assuming you're talking about limited here)

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Ramos posted:

It's definitely an idea, but since it isn't in the colors of flash (green and blue), it probably won't be doing that.

It's also not quite compatible with haste, but it works well with it. Playing a haste creature guarantees you can raid that turn.
White definitely gets flash creatures, and they tend to have etb effects, even.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

See, I don't follow any of this stuff, so outside of that context a blue dude making zombies out of the graveyard was really weird. It makes much more sense with the candy coating of backstory.
Blue got the weird science part of the horror block. I don't know about story time, but Delver of Secrets, Rooftop Storm fleshed out the theme enough for me to get it. The text of Rooftop Storm really points out that you are supposed to be weirded out by blue frankenstein zombies.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Maybe a pinger (or some other tap ability) that had Raid: this creature gains Haste until end of turn?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zonekeeper posted:

Maybe a pinger (or some other tap ability) that had Raid: this creature gains Haste until end of turn?

That doesn't work because Raid looks like an ability that only activates if the creature with it comes onto the battlefield after you've attacked.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

That doesn't work because Raid looks like an ability that only activates if the creature with it comes onto the battlefield after you've attacked.

It does work because then you could activate their ability the turn you summon them.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Something that gives you an extra combat phase would be cool though.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Chainsawdomy posted:

Maybe Gisa made Geralf a messenger for his birthday.

She sent him the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket via zombie messenger.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ScarletBrother posted:

It does work because then you could activate their ability the turn you summon them.

Oh I read your statement wrong.

So a duder with a tap ability and Raid: Get Haste.

Okay, that seems workable.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

5/6 flier for 6 with upside is kind of meh?

(I'm assuming you're talking about limited here)

Yeah, it's Mahaomti Djinn with an upside, and cards like that are typically very very good in limited.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Allstone posted:

White definitely gets flash creatures, and they tend to have etb effects, even.

Right, fair enough, I forgot that. Still, the mechanic strikes me as encouraging attacking, not playing defensively, so it still doesn't seem all that likely to occur.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

One, I just need to mention what an excellent name Thousand Winds is.

Two, people tend to view the P/T of a creature as an afterthought when evaluating them. Creatures with marginal or bad abilities (like Tavern Swindler) are viewed as trash even though its P/T make it completely playable. Besides, bouncing all tapped creatures is a really good ability because it can be used at instant speed.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Ramos posted:

Right, fair enough, I forgot that. Still, the mechanic strikes me as encouraging attacking, not playing defensively, so it still doesn't seem all that likely to occur.
I feel like it wouldn't be too out of place for white to get a bunch of aggressive raid etbs on flash creatures - there's nothing saying they need to be defensive; flashed in anthems on legs or granting first-strike etc. is something that wouldn't be out of colour, I don't think.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kabanaw posted:

Two, people tend to view the P/T of a creature as an afterthought when evaluating them. Creatures with marginal or bad abilities (like Tavern Swindler) are viewed as trash even though its P/T make it completely playable. Besides, bouncing all tapped creatures is a really good ability because it can be used at instant speed.

Yeah, Mahamoti Djinn beats face in limited, anything on top of the giant flying body is just gravy, and this looks like pretty good gravy.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Allstone posted:

I feel like it wouldn't be too out of place for white to get a bunch of aggressive raid etbs on flash creatures - there's nothing saying they need to be defensive; flashed in anthems on legs or granting first-strike etc. is something that wouldn't be out of colour, I don't think.

In Alara we had mono-R and mono-U creatures with unearth as well as mono-U and mono-G creatures with exalted, so I'll be surprised if we don't see any mono-W or mono-B (or WB :kheldragar:) creatures with raid.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I just want an aggressively-costed raid reanimate.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

I just want an aggressively-costed raid reanimate.

raid is about ordering volunteers to fight rather than reanimating old soldiers

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want a white Raid guy that untaps all your dudes.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

Oh I read your statement wrong.

So a duder with a tap ability and Raid: Get Haste.

Okay, that seems workable.

Just stapling a tap ability onto the "Raid - ETB - ping" effect seems cleaner than putting haste on something that can't use that haste to attack. It would work that way, but seems confusing to newer people.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I hope Raid is more than just an FTK effect when you attack with a guy. Thousand Winds is part of the Jeskai clan right? Can't remember their watermark right now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kabanaw posted:

I see this all the time in limited formats. People won't play perfectly fine creatures because they have bad abilities. A 2/2 for 1G with the ability T: you lose 20 life is no different from a 2/2 for 1G in any format that doesn't have Mindslaver or Worst Fears. Mahamoti Djinn with an upside is at worst Mahamoti Djinn.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

neetengie posted:

I hope Raid is more than just an FTK effect when you attack with a guy. Thousand Winds is part of the Jeskai clan right? Can't remember their watermark right now.

It's Jeskai, yes.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

LaTex Fetish posted:

raid is about ordering volunteers to fight rather than reanimating old soldiers

We've seen a grand total of one raid card, and from that you're comfortable extrapolating the range of what it's allowed to do?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

We've seen a grand total of one raid card, and from that you're comfortable extrapolating the range of what it's allowed to do?

yes, because the name implies what it does: it wants you to put more and more creatures into play, turn them sideways, and rewards you for doing both.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Welcome to Spoiler Season.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I was actually pretty happy with raid because it let you get the effects off just one creature attacking, which works really well with white and black's propensity for champions (see exalted in M13) while still being essentially red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

LaTex Fetish posted:

yes, because the name implies what it does: it wants you to put more and more creatures into play, turn them sideways, and rewards you for doing both.

Yeah, I don't see how a raid effect that reanimates a creature contradicts any of that? They could put it on like, a black rare, and it would make perfect sense.

• Locked thread