Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

The adaptor is also necessary for tournament play. Hundreds of wireless controllers with dozens of consoles cause countless problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I hope Megaman can have Black Hole Bomb as an alternate side-B. Or ASTRO CRUSH

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Blackheart posted:

Black Hole Bomb is how he starts his Final Smash.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Blackheart posted:

Mega Man already gets Black Hole Bomb as part of his final smash!

Edit: ^:argh:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Reiley posted:

Skull Barrier for the third shield type

It will probably end up being Jewel Satellite since it's actually mechanically unique (reflector).

I'm curious what will replace the Crash Bomb. They might give him Dive Missile for homing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

RaspberryCommie posted:

Black Hole Bomb is how he starts his Final Smash.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Mega Man already gets Black Hole Bomb as part of his final smash!

Edit: ^:argh:

Oh, I totally forgot about that. Does he have Magnet Missile as any of his moves?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've been considering selling my original 3DS and getting an XL soon, is there a noticeable difference between using the two different versions, and would people with an XL have an advantage over other players online? I can't imagine it's too significant past comfort, and it's not like it'll be the first Smash game to have people fighting using slightly different controllers.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

sout posted:

I've been considering selling my original 3DS and getting an XL soon, is there a noticeable difference between using the two different versions, and would people with an XL have an advantage over other players online? I can't imagine it's too significant past comfort, and it's not like it'll be the first Smash game to have people fighting using slightly different controllers.

XL players would have an advantage simply because of the bigger screens = can see the chaos better. Plus the XL has a better battery life and is more comfortable to hold since it's bigger.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I imagine playing Smash with the 3D on would not be the most comfortable thing to do, maybe something you try once. It probably even lowers the framerate a little bit, which you definitely don't want.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Sakurai actually specifically pointed out that they were shooting to keep the framerate at 60 FPS even with the 3D turned on. I'm sure there will be some situations that'll chug it a bit (2 Ice Climbers vs. Olimar vs. Rosalina with Pokeballs and Final Smashes going off), but by and large, the framerate should be as smooth as any other Smash.

On the other hand, when I tried Smash Run with the 3D turned all the way up at Nintendo World, I didn't really notice it, but I hope that's just because it was too short a time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If they manage to make Smash run at a smooth 60 fps even with the 3D turned on then loving lol at Pokémon X/Y chugging along because it has to render two pokemon and some grass.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

PantsBandit posted:

If they manage to make Smash run at a smooth 60 fps even with the 3D turned on then loving lol at Pokémon X/Y chugging along because it has to render two pokemon and some grass.

Pokemon games are special.

Each Pokemon game has a cart so incredibly packed with content that the reason they don't have multiple save slots is entirely because there is literally no space left on the game for it to be possible.

So its graphical engine is probably as light and weak as possible while still looking all right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Each Pokemon game has a cart so incredibly packed with content that the reason they don't have multiple save slots is entirely because there is literally no space left on the game for it to be possible.

So its graphical engine is probably as light and weak as possible while still looking all right.
Then maybe they could delete pokemon like Luvdisc and Stantler from existence and see how long it takes people to notice.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Blackheart posted:

Oh, I totally forgot about that. Does he have Magnet Missile as any of his moves?

Not currently, but it could be a customization option for crash bomber.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Be smart about spendin' that money!

- Refurbished WiiU from Nintendo's website = $200 + $20 for shipping
- Smash Bros + Controller + Adapter bundle = $100
- Three Smash GC controllers = $90

Brings us to a little over $410, cheaper if you can take advantage of some Amazon or Gamestop deals. And you even get Nintendoland with that Wii U.

It is my master plan for Smash Bros come the holidays.

Hey, thanks for this link! Didn't realize they had a bundle and even with 4 controllers I kinda wanted a smash one for the heck of it.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Also keep in mind that Gamefreak has little experience with 3D in general. It took the 3DS to force them to make a fully 3D Pokemon title (Console games don't count, they had different devs), and before that the best they could do were low-poly overworld elements.

Earthbound 64 crashed and burned in development because they had serious inexperience issues with 3D, that's why they eventually just made Mother 3 a GBA game. I imagine the strength of the Pokemon brand and Gamefreak slowly experimenting with 3D is the only thing that allowed X/Y to exist in even the choppy form it has now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Pokemon games actually have two save slots. :v: The first one is the one you have access to and the second is a special backup that's a copy of the last save you made in case your most recent save gets corrupted or something.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Cook posted:

Kaptain K. Rool was his best incarnation, so he'd need his blunderbuss which would fire cannonballs (and sometimes barrels with items) as a neutral B, his rocket forward attack for side B, then I don't care enough to sit here and brainstorm up things for up and down B. His main attacks in the first DKC were throwing his crown and jumping and his primary attacks in DKC3 were moving back and forth and pushing buttons. His moveset really isn't that varied, but they could think of something.

He'll never come back, but I still like him. DKC2 is still one of the best platformers ever made and it needs some specific representation since DKCR went back to the generic jungle roots and 3 had Kiddy Kong which I don't even want to speak of by name.

DKC3's Dr. K. Roolenstein had a jetpack. You could easily make that into his recovery.

Between the Blunderbuss (clone of Samus' shot), Jetpack, crown throw (clone of Link's boomerang), just add in a belly flop as a down one and you're set.

Smash is turning into boxing K. Rool from DK64.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Patter Song posted:

Smash is turning into boxing K. Rool from DK64.

His worst incarnation. :colbert:

Super Mario Sluggers had a better K. Rool because he was an Aztec King. I love that they continued the tradition of him having a new look every game, even in a stupid sports game.

Smash K. Rool should have like 50 different move sets and gimmicks and randomly give you one every time you play. Sometimes you'll get Kowboy K. Rool and sometimes you'll get Sekret Agent K. R-double-O-L. Who knows!?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

"Packed full of content"? Oh dear, I must have been playing the game wrong this entire time then.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Uh, while agree about the games having a lot of content, they don't take up that much space. From what I've seen, they take up about half the storage space on their cards at most, so it'd be entirely possible to add multiple save slots if Gamefreak were so inclined.

ChaosArgate posted:

Pokemon games actually have two save slots. :v: The first one is the one you have access to and the second is a special backup that's a copy of the last save you made in case your most recent save gets corrupted or something.

That too.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Geostomp posted:

Uh, while agree about the games having a lot of content, they don't take up that much space. From what I've seen, they take up about half the storage space on their cards at most, so it'd be entirely possible to add multiple save slots if Gamefreak were so inclined.

That too.

3DS Cartridges range between 1 and 8 gb, with only 2 gb available for most games. Pokemon X and Y are 1.7 gb each, which gives them the most leeway room in the series, but I'm willing to bet they're both on 2 gb carts.

I guess this is the one case where they could have extra save files, but didn't for tradition's sake.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

To be fair, that was totally true for the first two generations. After all, the only way they could add Mew to the original games was to remove almost all of the debug tools.

On the other hand, even if a modern 3DS cart was filled to the brim, it still wouldn't be the cause of the poor framerate. I just have to imagine Game Freak overshot the 3DS's power. It's kind of the opposite of how the Fire Emblem Awakening devs undershot it and then suddenly no one had feet.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I'm probably going to wind up getting the game and adapter separately. I still have 4 working GC controllers (plus 2 of those SNES-style ones), and at least 3 working Wavebirds. One of my four may have died on me. I'm hoping there'll be some kind of Amiibo bundle, because those look neat.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

To be fair, that was totally true for the first two generations. After all, the only way they could add Mew to the original games was to remove almost all of the debug tools.

On the other hand, even if a modern 3DS cart was filled to the brim, it still wouldn't be the cause of the poor framerate. I just have to imagine Game Freak overshot the 3DS's power. It's kind of the opposite of how the Fire Emblem Awakening devs undershot it and then suddenly no one had feet.

I don't think it's an issue of power, but efficiency. Gamefreak just doesn't have the 3D experience to make the engine that was necessary to keep framerate consistent.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Excels posted:

- Wii U = $300+
- GC Adapter = $20
- Four brand new Smash GC controllers = $120 (4 x $30)
- Game = $60

$500+ dollars to be the coolest kid on the block when this hits shelves in a couple months

Those aren't Wavebird controllers. What a scrub.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Sell me Smash4, a GameCube adapter, a controller, an Amiibo and an art book in a nice box for $125 Mr. Nintendo Man

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is the GameCube adaptor, and controller bundle gonna be for sale in stores?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Austrian mook posted:

Is the GameCube adaptor, and controller bundle gonna be for sale in stores?

Gamestop is taking preorders for it, so it probably depends on if there's an actual package including it all or if it's just a 'buy these all at once for cheaper' thing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kelp Plankton posted:

Gamestop is taking preorders for it, so it probably depends on if there's an actual package including it all or if it's just a 'buy these all at once for cheaper' thing.

There will be a bundle with the Wii U game ($60), a controller ($30) and an adapter($20) for $100 so you can save yourself $10.

I'm really curious if the new GC controllers are gonna have cables 2 meters long like they did before the Wii or if they're gonna have 3 meter cables like the ones they put out for Brawl in Japan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a package deal, like the Skyward Sword + Gold Wii Remote Plus was.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Reiley posted:

Skull Barrier for the third shield type

Star Crash. I want to be goddamn fabulous.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

Star Crash. I want to be goddamn fabulous.

You say that and ignore the one that surrounds you with jewelry.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

You say that and ignore the one that surrounds you with jewelry.

Star Platinum?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Are Amazon's dates usually pretty accurate before release because what the gently caress is this end-of-year BS?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Violen posted:

Are Amazon's dates usually pretty accurate before release because what the gently caress is this end-of-year BS?

Usually if Amazon says December 31'st it's a placeholder for something that doesn't have an actual date yet/

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Yeah, they'll usually use the last day in whatever block of time they do know. So if something is supposed to come out Q1, they'll set the release date at March 31 or whatever, then change it when the real date is ready.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Thanks.

I don't understand online shopping or the internet or the 21st century.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Violen posted:

Thanks.

I don't understand online shopping or the internet or the 21st century.

"Back in my day we would dress up as our favorite Nintendo characters and beat the stuffin' out of each other. T'was a REAL Smash I tells ya..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

TaurusOxford posted:

"Back in my day we would dress up as our favorite Nintendo characters and beat the stuffin' out of each other. T'was a REAL Smash I tells ya..."

i assume you're quoting your uncle who worked at nintendo

• Locked thread