Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

GNU Order posted:

e- I kinda want to do another big Blood Bowl 101 Effort Post but I don't really have a great topic. Newbies, is there something you all are curious about that hasn't been addressed?

I don't know if it would make for a full post, but I've kinda been wondering about good general strategies for the opening formation and what sorts of guys you want to put on the line for punching and what sort of guys you want to put just back from the line etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

GoatLord posted:

I don't know if it would make for a full post, but I've kinda been wondering about good general strategies for the opening formation and what sorts of guys you want to put on the line for punching and what sort of guys you want to put just back from the line etc.

This sounds like a good idea. I just kind of set up in a rough way I think makes sense, but I don't really have any strategy.

Also, don't fire Dr. Wight. I don't care what else you do, but he needs to stay on the team.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Save your money. You're very bloated on TV and that's going to get you in trouble down the line.

3 position players that are 1 CAS away from a level. Should be interesting to see how many get it next game. Here's hoping Flesh Gordon gets MVP next game so you can get some more Guard.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

GNU Order posted:

2. Fire the Good Doctor (-AV ain't no thing) and buy a new Wight

Fire Dr. Wight and buy a new one

Name him Block Pride because Wight Power has gone unchecked for far too long.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Victor Vermis posted:

I was going to disagree because 7 AV is w/e but this name is way way too good to pass up, give us Block Pride.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Save your money.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Keep the Wight and Save your money.

Yes, -AV really sucks and we probably should fire his rear end and get a new Wight, but lets all be Funhavers and keep him around for as long as possible.

To quote a certain nostalgic CGI Disney film: I want him in the Games until he dies playing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GoatLord posted:

Yeah, I'd love this as well.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

keep Dr Wight it's only -AV.

I'd love to have ideas about other setups than the Cknoor standard.

Also piling on Strats.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I really want to Keep Dr Wight and save the cash for later

But....

Victor Vermis posted:

Is just so funny I won't even care if this is what happens.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Veloxyll posted:

keep Dr Wight it's only -AV.

I'd love to have ideas about other setups than the Cknoor standard.

Also piling on Strats.

This. Also, GNU why do you hate our wolves?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I would've totally taken the both down on the last turn. It's like a spitefoul on the niggled wolf.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Keep Dr. Wight because -AV is probably the best injury to work with after a niggle.

Save up for a rainy day otherwise

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 14, 2014

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate
There is no freedom but through death! :black101:

(That's a vote for keep and save in case that's not obvious)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Looking back at that game, I can see that Pasco dodged a lot of bullets with Regen rolls, as in addition to that one Skeleton that got completely murdered, two of his other players rolled a Dead result on their Cas table but managed a regen to negate it. Had those rolls gone poorly, three of his guys would have been planted in the dirt facedown.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Not an effort post, but for the question about who to put on the line of scrimmage. I imagine this is only a defense related question, and the answer is usually always this: Don't put anyone good on the line ever. They will get 2DB'd, and if they're good/valuable/or the other guys has poo poo linemen (like zombies) they will probably get gang fouled too. Even teams that aren't bashy will find a way to 2db your entire team on the line of scrimmage. I've had wood elves (with no tree) 2db a LoS of 4 saurus' and a Krox.

Piling on Strats: I'm not a big proponent of piling on. I typically only take it as a very late skill on a claw+mb player. Like a single beastman on Chaos or Pestigore on Nurgle. I typically prefer to have my strength access guys on their feet and with guard on them. Thats just me though, your decision process may vary. But once the game is underway the decision when to pile on or not is important. A lot of the time you'll see coaches do it all the time, some may not even have the skill set to ask. This is a big gamble. Piling on every block might result in more CAS or KO's then otherwise, or it might not have any effect on the piled on rerolls, leaving players prone on the opponents turn for no gain. Typically, always piling on is bad, but it's hard to argue when the dice are hot and every PO turns into a KO or better.

The rules I learned and go by have some pretty easy to follow If/Then rules to make your choice easy.

Field Position Modifiers
- If the player with PO is needed to mark a player after the block, Then don't PO.
- If the PO is happening on the other side of the field from where the action is, Then go for it.

The Core PO Situation Guidelines
These all also assume your PO player has Mighty Blow
- If you didn't break armor the first time, Then don't PO. Nothing worse than going prone and failing to break armor the first time. There is a little wiggle room for this if you also have Claw, because Claw + MB = Better than 50% chance of an armor break at least. Still, don't do this if
- If you broke armor, but had to use MB on the armor break, Then probably don't PO. This is a close call, I error toward caution.
- IF you broke armor and did not use MB on the armor roll, Then this is the prime time to PO. It is now a 2d6 reroll to get a 7+ to remove a player from the field. That is better than a 50% chance. (I think it's like 60%? but I don't remember dice odds so well)
Do not PO KO's. (Unless you're being malicious on turn 16 or something like that)

I find these to be very good guidelines to knowing when to PO and when not to. There are always a few little things to add into the above considerations. Like if you're going to PO a really valuable player on the other team that is making the game miserable for you, etc. Also keep in mind what GNU said in the video, PO makes your player prone, and prone players get fouled. Be sure your opponent won't foul your prone player, or protect his position with a player or two from your side. Also note that when you get frustrated at dice, elfbullshit, anything really, you will want to PO every block because you just need that sweet sweet revenge / stress releasing CAS. This is perfectly understandable and even I do it. Just try to see it coming and relax and stick the guidelines.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 14, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why, exactly, are people voting to get rid of our Guard/Mighty Blow Wight for an injury that just makes him marginally more likely to get re-murdered again later? I'm not entirely sure I see the logic, especially as that would only leave us with Wight Power, who can't really fill the same role.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Night10194 posted:

Why, exactly, are people voting to get rid of our Guard/Mighty Blow Wight for an injury that just makes him marginally more likely to get re-murdered again later? I'm not entirely sure I see the logic, especially as that would only leave us with Wight Power, who can't really fill the same role.

Because AV 7 makes him an elf skaven lineman in terms of toughness. Wights need to deliver and take punches, those are the two items in their job description and AV 7 is a huge detriment to the whole withstand getting blocked on occasion part of that. May as well fire him now and train up a healthy replacement while it only takes a handful of games to make the two skill rolls versus keep him on the team longer, let him get more SPP, maybe even more skills, and then when he gets murdered because of his lovely armor value we have to hire and train a new replacement, who will take longer to catch up to where Dr. Wight was.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Keep him.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
You bought cheerleaders and deserved everything.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'd also like some formations efforpost.

I agree with the general approach, just a couple puntualizations. Most of these are situational.

- Sometimes is better for a player to be lying down. If there is an opposing clawpomb player, sometimes it's better to be fouled than blocked.
- Consider Piling On if the enemy is worth it, no matter the position. That +ST, +MV, Sidestepping blodger catcher has to go, NOW.
- Always Pile On if the other coach is whining about it chat.

I'd say that you should consider Piling On on KO'ed players if:

a) It's the first half
b) It's an important player
c) Your opponent has Bloodweisr Babes

For example, I'll almost always Pile On with a clawpomb player in the firt half against a lower TV team, because they usually get Bloodweiser Babes. That KO is coming back.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jade Star posted:

The Core PO Situation Guidelines

I think my favorite thing to see with piling on is coaches that put it on their big guys.

Oh yeah, and fire the wight. There's no good reason to keep a perma who's only rolled normals.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 14, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fat Samurai posted:

I'd also like some formations efforpost.

I agree with the general approach, just a couple puntualizations. Most of these are situational.

- Sometimes is better for a player to be lying down. If there is an opposing clawpomb player, sometimes it's better to be fouled than blocked.
- Consider Piling On if the enemy is worth it, no matter the position. That +ST, +MV, Sidestepping blodger catcher has to go, NOW.
- Always Pile On if the other coach is whining about it chat.

I'd say that you should consider Piling On on KO'ed players if:

a) It's the first half
b) It's an important player
c) Your opponent has Bloodweisr Babes

For example, I'll almost always Pile On with a clawpomb player in the firt half against a lower TV team, because they usually get Bloodweiser Babes. That KO is coming back.

You overlooked the most important point - if it'd be funny.
Though that is a subset of "if the other coach is whining about it in chat"

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
:woop: My boy Pelvis Costello inducting fools into the Wrassle Zone :woop:

I realize -AV on a Mighty Blow dude isn't much, but a name like Block Pride is too good.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I honestly forgot that guy had useful skills, I just really hate the name "Dr. Wight".

Guard players get punched. A lot. He's going to break your hearts. Ditch him now before he rolls doubles.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Don't you dare fire the Doctor. Keep him and save our money

Good job pulling back a tie from a sure loss. Again.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Clearly we need 3 assistant coaches to avoid the shameful situation of losing out on a reroll even with +2 FAME.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Brainamp posted:

I think my favorite thing to see with piling on is coaches that put it on their big guys.

Oh yeah, and fire the wight. There's no good reason to keep a perma who's only rolled normals.

Aka the warpstone troll strategy. Big guy with clawpomb. The only problem? You're playing underworld.

Fire Dr. White, get Block Power

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
You can't fire Doctor Wight, if anything fire Wight Power because he's so loving useless and it's clearly rubbed off on the good doctor.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Fire Dr. White

Feinne posted:

fire Wight Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Io0OQ2zPS4

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

gently caress it, fire Santos! Clearly, the reason the team is underperforming is because he's hogging all the awesome clutch moments, so we need to fire him that others can perform as well!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would like to point out that Santos and MacGruff failed the simple handoff that allowed the rest of the first half to go topsy-turvey. Clearly we should fire both of them.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Fire Dr. Wight! We don't need more cripples on the team.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone dies on the pitch.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Fire everyone except our savior; Flesh AAAaahh Gordon

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

apostateCourier posted:

Everyone dies on the pitch.

In regards to Pile Awn chat, there are players, blodgers or Pombers as examples, that you often don't have a chance to get any armor rolls on at all. These players make it so that piling on them no matter the situation is advisable, regardless of if you've broken armor or not since you may not get another chance.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Buy rear end Coaches

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
Don't fire Dr. Wight. He can take it.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Tallying the votes, ~24 hours until voting closes

Save The Money - 12
Buy a new Wight (Block Pride), Fire Dr. Wight - 7
rear end Coaches (Please stop with this) - 2
Fire Wight Power - 1

I suppose I should have done a better job talking about the merits of keeping Dr. Wight vs firing him, as it pertains to teambuilding. Not necessarily because it will affect your votes, but because making the decision to fire or keep a crippled player is an important part of playing your own Blood Bowl teams.

The case for keeping
He's the only Guard player on the team and he's the only Block+MB player on the team (until Blitzer levels which will be real, real soon). Guard is really, really good on Wights and Flolems because it synergies really well with Wolf blitzing, and, as was demonstrated during the halfling match, Block+MB is very good at taking players out of the match. Dr. Wight's been on the team steadily collecting SPP for so long, and it will take us a while to pump SPP into a new player to get him back to that level. -AV only brings him down to AV7, which is the base AV for most teams. Once the Flolem(s) get guard they will be the central point of any big group fighting, and it's not like I'm going to toss Dr. Wight into a pile of death. It's an easy injury to play around that will more than likely have no effect on the rest of these LP matches.

The case for firing
-AV is not great on a player who is going to inevitably going to spend a lot of the time in the middle of a scrum. I've been playing fairly hands-off with my players because of how much bash I've been facing, but at some point Dr. Wight is going to have to wade in and start providing Guard assists, which makes him currently the prime target for counterattacking. Downgrading from AV8 to AV7 is one of the most significant drops in Armor Value because of the way odds work on a 2d6, and having a 7AV player be the focal point of your fights is really scary because he's a bit more likely to get knocked out of the match. Firing him now is like pulling teeth. It'll hurt for a while but ultimately it's for the best for the future of the team. Additionally, Dr. Wight's levels are only normals and they're super easy to get back again, given some time.

Of course these are my own opinions and I'm sure some other Blood Bowl regulars will want to argue against both sides of this

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'll vote on firing him and buy a new one!

• Locked thread