Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I have it on PC too, but I just find the pad more convenient so I double dipped. :negative:

Ever thought about grabbing Splashtop? It's super great for turn-based games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sorry about the delay in the Ascension tournament. I sent Durty a message through Challonge two days ago suggesting a time for us to play and asking him to tell me if that wasn't good for him, but I've heard nothing back. Has anyone seen him on GroupMe?

E: He's sent me a game on 1-day clock. Could be awkward if he doesn't tell me when he'll be around.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 2, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Jedit posted:

Sorry about the delay in the Ascension tournament. I sent Durty a message through Challonge two days ago suggesting a time for us to play and asking him to tell me if that wasn't good for him, but I've heard nothing back. Has anyone seen him on GroupMe?

E: He's sent me a game on 1-day clock. Could be awkward if he doesn't tell me when he'll be around.

Durts is always around the groupme channel. http://www.google.com/voice

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Update: I'm at 1-1 with durty. Third game is waiting on him to start; hopefully it'll be today, because I can't play at this time during the week.

durty
Jan 28, 2009
Finally remembered my password to get back on here. Sorry jedit. It's late now and I need to sleep. Hope we can arrange something over the next few days

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

durty posted:

Finally remembered my password to get back on here. Sorry jedit. It's late now and I need to sleep. Hope we can arrange something over the next few days

No worries. As I said, I can generally arrange to be on around 11.30pm UK time but most evenings apart from Tuesday and Wednesday are good. I suggest we abandon the game in progress and set up a live game at a convenient time.

E: And done. I put the scores in, durty - I think I got them right, but I can edit if you have better info.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 4, 2014

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Jedit posted:

And done. I put the scores in, durty - I think I got them right, but I can edit if you have better info.

It looks like you failed to mark yourself as the winner. It doesn't guess the winner from the scores; you have to click one of the competitors' names above the scores to designate a winner.

Anyway, it's me and you in the final. I've sent you the match invite, but don't accept it until you're ready to start the clock. If you want to play synchronously I would prefer that as well. I'm on EDT (GMT-4) time zone. Let me know when you'd like to play. And good luck!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

It looks like you failed to mark yourself as the winner. It doesn't guess the winner from the scores; you have to click one of the competitors' names above the scores to designate a winner.

Anyway, it's me and you in the final. I've sent you the match invite, but don't accept it until you're ready to start the clock. If you want to play synchronously I would prefer that as well. I'm on EDT (GMT-4) time zone. Let me know when you'd like to play. And good luck!

I thought I still had to play Spincut in the semi?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Jedit posted:

I thought I still had to play Spincut in the semi?

Oh poo poo, you guys were further behind than I thought. I was looking at the Spincut match when I said all that. My bad. Disregard. I'll keep waiting. Good luck to both you and Spincut. :blush:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

While I sit and wait for Jedit and Spincut to play their neverending semifinal match, I've had another idea for something that might be fun to try, and I'd like to enlist a few interested goons to participate in an experiment. Kelthorn mentioned in the GroupMe channel that there aren't (m)any 2v2 board games. That is a play mode that I really enjoy in backgammon, and I agree there should be more of it. But until somebody builds a new game from the ground up for team play, I was thinking it might be interesting to try…

:siren: 2v2 Carcassonne :siren:
I need three more iOS Carc owners who are willing to try this. I propose the following structure. First, partners will be decided by the app's turn order RNG after the match starts. I'm open to suggestion on whether it would be more interesting for teammates to play back-to-back or staggered. Maybe we can try it once each way? So either the 1st and 3rd to play are on one team, 2nd and 4th on the other, or the 1st and 4th to play are on a team, 2nd and 3rd on another. The objective is to have highest combined score at the end. Whether that means one player is better off to take a support role while the other is the main point winner or both go for separate scoring opportunities and just stay out of each other's way is a matter of strategy left to the teams.

In addition to the in-game chat going out to all players, I would say we should also feel free to use GroupMe or iMessage to communicate among teammates separately. I can envision several types of collaborative plays from protecting a partner's feature from invasion to 2-for-1 blocking opposing players' features to carefully sharing equal points in a large farm while keeping the opponents out of it. Who knows, it might just be terrible. Anybody want to find out? GC: Fire Sauce

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

While I sit and wait for Jedit and Spincut to play their neverending semifinal match,

We started last night, but like durty he seems to have misread the UK clock and showed up at 12.30 instead of 11.30. I had to go to bed by then because I've been at a convention and am flying home today. If he can adjust his clock I'll finish off tonight.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Beelzebozo posted:

I'm still pretty weak at Carc but I'd be willing to try this.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Beelzebozo posted:

While I sit and wait for Jedit and Spincut to play their neverending semifinal match, I've had another idea for something that might be fun to try, and I'd like to enlist a few interested goons to participate in an experiment. Kelthorn mentioned in the GroupMe channel that there aren't (m)any 2v2 board games. That is a play mode that I really enjoy in backgammon, and I agree there should be more of it. But until somebody builds a new game from the ground up for team play, I was thinking it might be interesting to try…

I need three more iOS Carc owners who are willing to try this. I propose the following structure. First, partners will be decided by the app's turn order RNG after the match starts. I'm open to suggestion on whether it would be more interesting for teammates to play back-to-back or staggered. Maybe we can try it once each way? So either the 1st and 3rd to play are on one team, 2nd and 4th on the other, or the 1st and 4th to play are on a team, 2nd and 3rd on another. The objective is to have highest combined score at the end. Whether that means one player is better off to take a support role while the other is the main point winner or both go for separate scoring opportunities and just stay out of each other's way is a matter of strategy left to the teams.

In addition to the in-game chat going out to all players, I would say we should also feel free to use GroupMe or iMessage to communicate among teammates separately. I can envision several types of collaborative plays from protecting a partner's feature from invasion to 2-for-1 blocking opposing players' features to carefully sharing equal points in a large farm while keeping the opponents out of it. Who knows, it might just be terrible. Anybody want to find out? GC: Fire Sauce

Alternative game modes can be fun. I did a thing like that with a few goons once. The idea was that you had to keep your own score low while trying to score high for everyone else. Meep each tile as you played it, in the most potentially highest scoring position (no throwing away meeps in disconnected fields, for example), but use the rest of your turns connecting opponents' cities, surrounding their cloisters, extending their roads, etc. Meep your own poo poo but play as if you were them. It was fun.

I'm always down for doing weird poo poo like that.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Jedit posted:

We started last night, but like durty he seems to have misread the UK clock and showed up at 12.30 instead of 11.30. I had to go to bed by then because I've been at a convention and am flying home today. If he can adjust his clock I'll finish off tonight.

Hey Jedit, sorry for the long delay, but good games! Each of them were pretty tense!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Spincut posted:

Hey Jedit, sorry for the long delay, but good games! Each of them were pretty tense!

I was surprised I won the first one. You were just drawing whatever you wanted, while I was having 75% chances whiff on a regular basis.

Jerkstores, tomorrow or Wednesday at my usual time OK?

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001

Jedit posted:

I was surprised I won the first one. You were just drawing whatever you wanted, while I was having 75% chances whiff on a regular basis.

Jerkstores, tomorrow or Wednesday at my usual time OK?

I should be available at either time, salty. Just send me a challenge and I will try not to get too lucky.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jerkstores posted:

I should be available at either time, salty. Just send me a challenge and I will try not to get too lucky.

That would be appreciated. Though not as much as me not trashing six Apprentices and still managing to draw the last two plus a Militia in a deck that's 50% Energy Shards. :argh:

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

:siren: The fourth Goon Ascension Tournament is over! :siren:

Supreme Champion: :supaburn: Spincut :supaburn:
Worthy Adversary: Beelzebozo
Maybe Next Time: Jerkstores

Notable mention to Jedit who defeated all comers (until he didn't).

Congratulations to Spincut, may your reign be long and glorious. Thanks everyone for participating and making it one of the smoothest tournaments in recent memory (as well as the only tournament in recent memory)

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Is anybody interested in giving Caylus a go?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Is anybody interested in giving Caylus a go?

It's a great game. I don't own the app yet, though.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I just watched someone score 100 points in a single round of Ascenion as they went through their deck twice. On the final round. I give up.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

shaitan posted:

I just watched someone score 100 points in a single round of Ascenion as they went through their deck twice. On the final round. I give up.

Doesn't every played card stay on the table until the end of the turn and the discard? Or did you mean getting an extra turn using the Tablet of Whatever or some other construct?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Doesn't every played card stay on the table until the end of the turn and the discard? Or did you mean getting an extra turn using the Tablet of Whatever or some other construct?

The guy probably exhausted his deck then drew all the cards he'd just bought.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm guessing he got an extra turn but he played every single card he owned and bought that turn twice. It looked to me that it was possible he could have gotten to draw more cards after playing them all and I don't know what happens at that point.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Did it look something like this?

I ended up losing this match by 140 some points.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Did it look something like this?

I ended up losing this match by 140 some points.

Yeah, except all three numbers next to the log were all 0. Twice. I lost by 200 points. I should have taken some screenshots

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

shaitan posted:

Yeah, except all three numbers next to the log were all 0. Twice. I lost by 200 points. I should have taken some screenshots
The new expansion really makes for a ton of deck churn and some really lopsided games. I have rarely had a close game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Agricola is on sale for $3.99. One of the better designed iOS board games.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bottom Liner posted:

Its Playdek, they do a drat good job. Even on iphone 5 sized screen it isn't too cramped and plays well solo. Ipad is probably aces

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I hate the Agricola app. I know how to play the game, having played Caverna, but I can't figure out what's going on in Agricola.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Jedit posted:

I hate the Agricola app. I know how to play the game, having played Caverna, but I can't figure out what's going on in Agricola.

Sorry, how is that the app's fault again? :raise:

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
I'm not sure they could have handled it much better. Agricola is a complicated game and I thinks it's just not a terribly great fit as an iOS game. It's definitely hard to keep up with everything on just one screen, and I struggle to follow the game when playing asynchronously.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

Sorry, how is that the app's fault again? :raise:

If I can understand a game in its physical form but not in its app form, where else is the fault going to lie?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
As someone that started with the app, I can't imagine the paper game. Seems like it would be a loving nightmare to keep track of stuff and scoring.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Bottom Liner posted:

As someone that started with the app, I can't imagine the paper game. Seems like it would be a loving nightmare to keep track of stuff and scoring.

Mostly it's just a pain to set up and clean up. In-game it runs pretty smoothly, and scoring is easy once you memorize what everything's worth (doesn't take long, and you have a cheat card to use while playing to plan, so you usually learn it in a game or two). It has a ton of pieces though.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Jedit posted:

If I can understand a game in its physical form but not in its app form, where else is the fault going to lie?

It's a subtle distinction perhaps, but I would say it's a problem of the platform rather than the app. When you say it's the apps fault that implies some fault in the execution by the developers, which I don't think is the case. They did the best they could with what they had. If you have experience with the physical version, I think the app is a convinient if not ideal way to play the game.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

porktree posted:

The new expansion really makes for a ton of deck churn and some really lopsided games. I have rarely had a close game.

Yeah this was with the heroes expansion and promo 4 cards only, not ROV. Oh well, I am starting to enjoy this game.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Playing the physical game definitely made me understand how it works in the app more. It's a fine way to play it, but maybe not an ideal way to teach it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

I know how to play the game, having played Caverna,

This seems an odd statement to me. I could see "I've played Agricola so I know how to play Caverna" but Agricola has a lot more fiddles to deal with in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bottom Liner posted:

Impulse bought this because I'm a sucker for German board games and Playdek. Holy moly this is complicated :eyepop:

• Locked thread