Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Gonna need help on that one the guy who wrote Chronicle why?
I still stand by Doomsday and the death of superman being terrible. Dude can't be killed the same way twice. Also he cant be killed since he keeps coming back. Terrible.
He did a short film thing describing Death of Superman that your posts sounds a lot like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

See the yellow box in the image I linked :)

One other neat thing is that all 4 covers connect to form one biggie:

The Batman/SS issue is SS #11, the very next Squad issue.

Holy crap, I've started tracking down Suicide Squad tie-in issues to finally bind the series (although I need to find a complete run of the series first), and I wasn't planning to include those. Now I probably will.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I remember as a kid not really following DC but getting a trade of the Death of Superman and it's kind of weird how most of it is all stand alone, except for a chunk in the middle focusing on the Justice League and "Bloodwynd."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Before Landis did the drunken Superman thing I always referred to Doomsday as NotHulk and I'm kinda cheesed he made associated it with his PUA dickbaggery.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
DC already had like 6 Hulk analogs at that point.

The best part of Doomsday was his doozy of an origin that manages to jam around six different cliches into one ludicrous whole.

You have an alien , who is genetically altered by a mad scientist and then sent to die repeatedly on an alien planet that just happens to be Supermans birthplace, so he's basically a kryptonian except not really.

Then he kills his creator and manages to threaten Darkseid and force him to run away, so you know he's a real threat!

Mister Nobody fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 14, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doomsday was cool with me as a kid because all I'd read was the six or so issue DOSM trade, so he was just an unexplained angry leaping monster.

e: Lex Luthor having long hair with Supergirl for a girlfriend who turned into a goopy alien when she was knocked out hurt my young brain, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 14, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It might be slightly premature, but Axis isn't exactly inspiring confidence.

Fear...THE KLUH!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Doomsday was cool with me as a kid because all I'd read was the six or so issue DOSM trade, so he was just an unexplained angry leaping monster.

e: Lex Luthor having long hair with Supergirl for a girlfriend who turned into a goopy alien when she was knocked out hurt my young brain, though.

Ha, I completely forgot about the part where Doomsday hits Supergirl so hard she turns into silly putty.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Ha, I completely forgot about the part where Doomsday hits Supergirl so hard she turns into silly putty.

That version of Supergirl was a shapeshifting, telekinetic blob so that kind of thing happened to her from time to time.

All events have this kind of problem, of course, since someone is always in the middle of playing with the status quo. Someday someone is going to read Our Worlds At War and wonder why Lex Luthor is the president.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Random Stranger posted:

That version of Supergirl was a shapeshifting, telekinetic blob so that kind of thing happened to her from time to time.

All events have this kind of problem, of course, since someone is always in the middle of playing with the status quo. Someday someone is going to read Our Worlds At War and wonder why Lex Luthor is the president.

That's the one thing I really loved about Civil War. Daredevil was Danny Rand but they never gave it much focus so a new reader picking it up wouldn't even notice anything's off. The only real reference is a panel of Daredevil looking at and admiring a penny.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Did Cyborg Superman do anything really of note between Death and Sinestro Corps. War?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Did Cyborg Superman do anything really of note between Death and Sinestro Corps. War?

He got all red and taunted Hal until Parallax killed him in his Final Night oneshot.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Was Final Night a good event? I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about it.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Starsnostars posted:

Was Final Night a good event? I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about it.

It was OK if you wanted a Hal Jordan face turn

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Emerald Night tie-in where Hal turned face was pretty great.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Doomsday was originally billed as "an escapee from a Intergalactic Insane Asylum" which shows exactly how much thought they put into the character before writing Death of Superman. Then people who worked with mentally ill persons complained about this description in press releases and so they dropped that angle before the comics were published and this pops up in contemporary thinkpieces about POLITICAL CORRECTNESS RUN AMOK.

Here's Mike Carlin from an interview that probably took place after the protest:

Mike Carlin posted:

"He is an unstoppable force. Some of us think he is a force of nature, some of us think he is man-made creation, some of us think he is an occult horror...."

Is he an alien?

"We're not going to spell it out."

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 15, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Could an argument be made that Knightfall started off as a classic Batman story and then went to absolute poo poo when Azrael went evil and became Techno-Batman? Also I forgot how loving humongous that event was.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

OldTennisCourt posted:

Could an argument be made that Knightfall started off as a classic Batman story and then went to absolute poo poo when Azrael went evil and became Techno-Batman? Also I forgot how loving humongous that event was.

No, 'cos Knightfall (and Knightquest) was amazing when I read it as a child, and still is amazing. Bruce Wayne relearning how to be Batman under Shiva is a fantastic idea. And then he has to fight like 7 differently armed ninjas, and a robo-Batman with flamethrowers. And he defeats him by getting him to strip off, and out alpha-male him. Knightfall, No Man's Land, JLA:Obsidian Age, JLA:Our Worlds At War - there was a period where DC were caning it with some* of their event books/extended story arcs. Hell, in Our Worlds at War, Superman throws himself into the Sun to give himself a massive power-boost so he can wrassle with Braniac. And there's a part where he starts to become all shell-shocked from flying around the world trying to stop the battles everywhere, and he becomes detached from his human nature.

*OK, not Zero Hour

Milotic fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 10, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Milotic posted:

*OK, not Zero Hour

Zero Hour resulted in the best Legion of Superheroes, which is also one of the best comic books ever, so it's fine by me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WickedHate posted:

Zero Hour resulted in the best Legion of Superheroes, which is also one of the best comic books ever, so it's fine by me.

LEGIONNAIRES was years before Zero Hour, bub. :colbert:

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think that the Knightfall event itself was pretty decent. Some strong but calculating guy releases all of Arkham in an attempt to whittle down Batman? Riddler gets doused with SuperSteroids? The mastermind behind it ties into a prior story arc where Batman gets addicted to venom and has to go cold turkey? And once it seems that Batman's pulled out an impossible win, Bane cracks him like pasta?

Pretty good. Armored Batman going batshit afterwards was kind of meh, though.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 10, 2014

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Azbats was definitely a dig against Xtreme 90's comics, though, from his story arc to his increasingly ridiculous costume. Batman defeating him to retake the title was a giant "gently caress you" to everyone who had pushed comics to be edgier during that time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fuligin posted:

I think Ultimatum wins just for being both the most pointless and the most offensively awful. Loeb should have been fired out of a cannon for producing that piece of poo poo.

I'd have to agree. Possibly because I haven't read many DC comics, but out of all the Marvel events comics, I'd say it is absolutely up there for Most Pointless. It is the series that made me stop caring about the Ultimate Universe at all.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
How many main characters did Ultimatum kill off? Two dozen?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tracula posted:

How many main characters did Ultimatum kill off? Two dozen?

IIRC the line that got it worse was the X-Men.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think Ultimatum is indisputably the worst event ever, simply for how damaging it was to the entire line as a whole. Usually when a bad event does something stupid, it will usually get ignored or retconned later; because of the UU's "all deaths are permanent" rule, Ultimatum permanently stunted the growth of that line and limited what stories it could tell in the future (and reversing that rule would just hurt what made the UU unique). What really pisses me off about Ultimatum, far beyond anything that actually happened in it, is how much of a flagrant gently caress-you it was to other writers, all so Loeb could have a few pages of cheap shock value.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
So I've been talking with this guy who thinks Civil War was loving amazing, mostly because he read it as it was coming out so he has this whole "you had to be there, maaaaan" attitude about it. I've been thinking about picking it up in trades, but goons seem to universally revile it. Is it worth revisiting?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

First Bass posted:

So I've been talking with this guy who thinks Civil War was loving amazing, mostly because he read it as it was coming out so he has this whole "you had to be there, maaaaan" attitude about it. I've been thinking about picking it up in trades, but goons seem to universally revile it. Is it worth revisiting?

It's at least decent if you read only the main series. It's still not "great", but the biggest problem is the writers not agreeing with each other, so at best the whole event is completely contradictory at best, and unsalvagable garbage at worst(coughFrontlinecough).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

I think Ultimatum is indisputably the worst event ever, simply for how damaging it was to the entire line as a whole. Usually when a bad event does something stupid, it will usually get ignored or retconned later; because of the UU's "all deaths are permanent" rule, Ultimatum permanently stunted the growth of that line and limited what stories it could tell in the future (and reversing that rule would just hurt what made the UU unique). What really pisses me off about Ultimatum, far beyond anything that actually happened in it, is how much of a flagrant gently caress-you it was to other writers, all so Loeb could have a few pages of cheap shock value.

Would they really have to reverse the rule entirely to nuke Ultimatum from canon? Seems like it'd be pretty simple to have Ultimatum get reversed by some kind of time travel fuckery or something, but otherwise keep the rule intact, with the justification being pretty much what you said.

e: that said, that would probably piss Loeb off really badly, and my understanding is he has (or at least had) some pull at Marvel.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
It might be better at this point to just try and develop new characters to replace the ones killed off instead of creating a precedent for time travel retcon fuckery if they've managed to avoid it so far. If Spider-man worked, maybe they can do more. I like the idea of introducing new permanent major characters or dramatically changing old ones permanently anyway, which is why the new Captain America/Ms. Marvel/Thor are a positive for me. Characters being in stasis for decades is eh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All deaths are permanent except Gwen Stacy.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Aphrodite posted:

Bucky Barnes dude.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

And Osborne

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Parlett316 posted:

Bucky Barnes dude.

Ultimate Bucky never died.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

Hammerhead, Beast, and Doom say hello.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad they'd already used the title Ultimate Mystery; it would've been a much better title for Ultimatum, because there's no bigger mystery than how nobody at Marvel received Loeb's scripts or plot outlines or whatever and thought, "Hold on a moment, are we sure about this? It's gonna mess up the entire publishing line!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Hammerhead, Beast, and Doom say hello.

Well tell them to shut up because they're ruining the clever inversion.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Well tell them to shut up because they're ruining the clever inversion.

It still doesn't technically work, because the "revived" Gwen is really just mode locked Carnage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

It still doesn't technically work, because the "revived" Gwen is really just mode locked Carnage.

That's not what Tony said.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Actually, I've heard that Ultimatum was supposed to end with the Ultimate Universe getting rebooted so the deaths wouldn't have ended up mattering. That's why people were being killed left and right with no regard to the long run. Problem is that for some reason the reboot idea got dropped but they never changed the story so they essentially hosed the entire line up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As far as I understand, only Loeb wanted the reboot, and he didn't know poo poo about the running Ultimate titles, nor did he consult the creative teams of those books. It's just another one of his attempts to make a book That Matters so he can add it to his resume next time he tries to negotiate his salary on another hot title that someone better built up.

• Locked thread