Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

This movie was...uh kinda confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Here is another one I'd love to see them do, Scare Alive, AKA Whodunnit, AKA Who cares Whodunnit can this poo poo just end already.

http://youtu.be/JvIcQgMYsiw

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

PrinceRandom posted:

This movie was...uh kinda confusing.

It certainly was.. a movie. I think.

Though I did laugh way too much when they called the awkward alley fight "Wes Craven's "Oldboy"".

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I nearly forgot about Godzilla this week. Having researched it before the new movie, it's a real stinker. Can't wait to see it get ripped to shreds.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Chapter 12 of Batman is available.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Liar Lyre posted:

I nearly forgot about Godzilla this week. Having researched it before the new movie, it's a real stinker. Can't wait to see it get ripped to shreds.
I got my ticket this afternoon. I haven't seen the '98 version in years so it'll be refreshing to see it for the first time in a while while it's being torn apart by Mike, Kevin and Bill.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Tickets for Anaconda are now officially for sale.

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/rifftrax-live-anaconda

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Liar Lyre posted:

I totally spaced out about it but luckily had signed up for Fathom texts and they reminded me this morning. So if you're a dummy like me and have a phone, consider setting that up. Just text "comedy" to 328466 and they only send you the comedy event alerts.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maybe Rifftrax should let some sleeping dog lie. Thanks Rifftrax.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Canned Panda posted:

Just bought mine!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I got all the slides so far tonight.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Again, I hate all of you who get to go. Nothing personal.

I may have to harass my local Cineplex to get Anaconda brought to this stinking town.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Deadpool posted:

I think I got all the slides so far tonight.

Me too, think I missed one but lost track.

Dude next to me has a Godzilla doll.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 15, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo this cartoon opening.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I could only catch line half the riffs cause of the sound mixing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was my first RiffTrax Live, and it ruled.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

PrinceRandom posted:

I could only catch line half the riffs cause of the sound mixing.

Yea, the sound was pretty crappy this time around.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This was one of the weaker live shows. There was no short before the movie this time and there were lots of times when I couldn't make out either the riffers or the movie's dialogue due to the volume levels being wonky. But there were some great lines ("Oh hi Johnny, I didn't know it was you!", "It's like Woody Allen going to confession!", "Sacre BOOM." and all of Jean Reno's Juicy Fruit/coffee related lines). I had forgotten how genuinely terrible Godzilla '98 was until tonight.

I think I only got some of the slides. I'll post 'em later if no one else does first.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

That was my first RiffTrax Live, and it ruled.

Mine too, I dragged my brother along who calls them "the Mystery guys with puppets"

Man all the Blockbuster product placement brought some big nostalgia.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Some of that sounds like it was on your theater's end because the one I went to didn't have any problems. The movie was kind of quiet at the beginning but then Kevin, I think, asked for them to turn it up so that was on them.

As for the bare bones nature, I think that might have something to do with the fact that the movie is over 2 hours long, kind of keeps them from adding anything else if they want to keep the event to a reasonable length.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I was definitely feeling the length.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I was the only one that laughed at the Gobbledy Gooker joke. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

Some of that sounds like it was on your theater's end because the one I went to didn't have any problems. The movie was kind of quiet at the beginning but then Kevin, I think, asked for them to turn it up so that was on them.

As for the bare bones nature, I think that might have something to do with the fact that the movie is over 2 hours long, kind of keeps them from adding anything else if they want to keep the event to a reasonable length.

At the beginning (basically the entire Japanese boat scene) the movie was too loud and then they turned it down during the worm scene and Kevin told them to turn it up and from that point on it was pretty much fine.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Liar Lyre posted:

My theatre erupted but neither me or my brother got it.

Also had a first Google Glass sighting! On a guy with long stringy pink hair.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Glad I have you guys to grab the slides, cause my theater decided not to show them once again.

Missed all but like two seconds of their new animated intro as well.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

PrinceRandom posted:

My theatre erupted but neither me or my brother got it.

The Gooker was something the WWF came up with one year at the Survivor Series. It was bizarre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODV1xJNlrU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw the movie when it originally came out but I totally didn't remember anything about it after they blow up Madison Square Garden.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Canned Panda posted:

Oh poo poo, it seems that they're hosting the show live from Durham NC.

I live in Durham.

Looks like I'm out $54.

Edit: Crap, the cheapest seats are actually $35 for the nosebleeds, so $70 for me and the lady. That's pushing it beyond what I'm willing to spend versus the $25 for the cinema stream.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 15, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That was really fun, but goddamn that movie did not need to be two hours long. Some pretty deep references too; I was not expecting a Fraggle Rock callout.

"Remember when this was a Godzilla movie?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There were way too many scenes of Matthew Broderick just looking at Godzilla.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the biggest laugh in my theater was "Gloryhole... OF THE GODS!" of whatever it was exactly.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
This was my fourth Rifftrax Live show (the first one, Manos, Starship Troopers and this) and it was definitely the worst one, although it was still pretty good. I don't think it's their fault, necessarily - I had forgotten what a joyless, reeking husk of a film Godzilla '98 is. I do think they're falling into the trap a little bit of replacing nerdy references with actual jokes. It felt like it had a lot more of that than the other riffs I've been to, and a lot more topical humor. I'm going with blaming the source material, though. It's so, so bad.

I'm probably also just a little bitter because some rear end in a top hat sitting close enough for me to hear (but too far away to do anything without alerting the entire theater) decided he was going to riff the loving movie. Seriously, who the gently caress goes to goddamn Rifftrax and decides to make fun of the movie that you paid to watch being made fun of? It was just awkward as hell.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
My showing had sound problems; there were quite a few riffs that were inaudible because the movie audio was burying the riffs. Also why is that movie 135 minutes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Popular Human posted:

This was my fourth Rifftrax Live show (the first one, Manos, Starship Troopers and this) and it was definitely the worst one, although it was still pretty good. I don't think it's their fault, necessarily - I had forgotten what a joyless, reeking husk of a film Godzilla '98 is. I do think they're falling into the trap a little bit of replacing nerdy references with actual jokes. It felt like it had a lot more of that than the other riffs I've been to, and a lot more topical humor. I'm going with blaming the source material, though. It's so, so bad.

Yeah, at least half of the drat movie didn't need to be there at all. It's like the Bay Transformers movies; why do the directors think we're there to see the people around the giant monsters/robots?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, at least half of the drat movie didn't need to be there at all. It's like the Bay Transformers movies; why do the directors think we're there to see the people around the giant monsters/robots?
Well the '98 "Godzilla" there is kind of a reason for this.

Wikipedia posted:

In 1992, TriStar Pictures acquired the rights to Godzilla from Toho to produce a trilogy of American Godzilla films[...] Screenwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio were tapped to write the script and submitted their final draft in late 1994.[...] Prior to the release of Independence Day [July 1996], director Roland Emmerich and producer Dean Devlin signed on to do Godzilla under the condition they would be able to handle the film "their way." Emmerich and Devlin discarded Elliott and Rossio's script and provided a new script where the Godzilla character in general was rewritten as a whole.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Liar Lyre posted:

You and me both, brother.

Being in Jersey, the place went absolutely crazy for the Chris Christie joke.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Robert Denby posted:

Also why is that movie 135 minutes.

Because Roland Emmerich.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm pretty sure that Godzilla chases the cab for like 15 minutes at least. It is a spectacular waste of time.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Because Roland Emmerich.
I forgot until now that I've actually met the guy. There was a screening of "Anonymous" attended by Emmerich and the screenwriter John Orloff. It was clear Orloff viewed the movie as a work of fiction that was his way of exploring who Shakespeare was, what his works meant to literature at large, and how they reflected history. Emmerich bought the whole 'SHAKESPEARE WAS A FRAUD!' concept, hook line and sinker because he's into conspiracy theories. There was just no nuance to the way Emmerich talked about the film or Shakespeare, and it made the whole thing very awkward. I talked to Emmerich very briefly after the screening about a potential project about the Stonewall riots, which last time I checked was still in development hell.

Going back to "Godzilla" 98, I have a feeling the script is the result of Devlin and Emmerich thinking they could do no wrong and just never second-guessing what they wrote. "Independence Day" may be bad and cheesy, but it at least flows. There's a sense of pacing and actual storytelling, hokey as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if all the scenes of the military just sitting there waiting to open fire take up another 15 minutes or so.

Not to mention the other two scientists, who do absolutely nothing to impact the plot.

• Locked thread