Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

thegasman2000 posted:

Is there somewhere i can see the ones being bounced? So I can advise they remove that email from their list?

You would have to login to webmail as the cPanel user for each account. The bounced or failed deliveries will be reported there.
Bounceweb should also be able to tell you this very easily but I wouldn't expect a reply from them based on what I've read. They may even charge you ;)

My only real suggestion is to finally consider moving somewhere a little more reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

DarkLotus posted:

You would have to login to webmail as the cPanel user for each account. The bounced or failed deliveries will be reported there.
Bounceweb should also be able to tell you this very easily but I wouldn't expect a reply from them based on what I've read. They may even charge you ;)

My only real suggestion is to finally consider moving somewhere a little more reliable.

I did... My main hosting is with Lithium :) V.Happy too!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

thegasman2000 posted:

I did... My main hosting is with Lithium :) V.Happy too!

If you need help moving, we can talk via other means. Good luck either way!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I hope this doesn't veer too far into tech support, but I'm about to start a Digital Ocean droplet for a specific reason and want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Basically, I need a static IP to log in to a work site, but my ISP wants $20 per month for the service. I'd rather spend $5 on a droplet with some sort of proxy server or VPN (preferably as simple as possible to set up) and get the added benefit of having a site. If my idea isn't terrible, is Open VPN as easy as it seems in this tutorial or should I be looking at something else?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I hope this doesn't veer too far into tech support, but I'm about to start a Digital Ocean droplet for a specific reason and want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Basically, I need a static IP to log in to a work site, but my ISP wants $20 per month for the service. I'd rather spend $5 on a droplet with some sort of proxy server or VPN (preferably as simple as possible to set up) and get the added benefit of having a site. If my idea isn't terrible, is Open VPN as easy as it seems in this tutorial or should I be looking at something else?

Yes, access server is a paid product but setup is incredibly easy

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Yes, access server is a paid product but setup is incredibly easy

Access server is free for up to two simultaneous connections, so he should be able to just install it and be on his way - I don't think he'll need more than those two connections for his use case!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
alternatively, here's a script you can run on a new DO VPS to install openvpn and iptables

https://gist.github.com/rufoa/f153e1fd5c13e1fc5a52

then retrieve the shared secret file server.key and connect on port 1194

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

alternatively, here's a script you can run on a new DO VPS to install openvpn and iptables

https://gist.github.com/rufoa/f153e1fd5c13e1fc5a52

then retrieve the shared secret file server.key and connect on port 1194

Pre-shared keys aren't really considered secure or best practice, though. Access server generates its own CA and generates a certificate for each individual client that connects. It also does username/password authentication for each user, and on top of that can be configured with TOTP support for the extra paranoid. Considering that it's free for 2 connections, there's really no reason not to use it. It's a solid product.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Awesome, thanks to everyone for the info. It's a relief to know I haven't talked myself into a solution that wouldn't have worked.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You could probably use SSH tunneling if the service you're connecting to at your work is TCP. Here's a guide: http://www.revsys.com/writings/quicktips/ssh-tunnel.html

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Man I am wasting my money parking a site on AWS. I need to move it to digital ocean or something

This is just august to date. RDS is eating up most of my bill.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

JHVH-1 posted:

Man I am wasting my money parking a site on AWS. I need to move it to digital ocean or something

This is just august to date. RDS is eating up most of my bill.

What are you using RDS for?

Sure you could spin up an instance of MySQL on Digital Ocean for cheaper, but RDS is a lot more powerful than simply that. So do you just not need what RDS has to offer or what?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

fletcher posted:

What are you using RDS for?

Sure you could spin up an instance of MySQL on Digital Ocean for cheaper, but RDS is a lot more powerful than simply that. So do you just not need what RDS has to offer or what?

I'm just using some CMS and using a MySQL instance, but I haven't upgraded it. I think I might just get a DigitalOcean $10 instance and move it there. I was on the Amazon free tier for a year just to learn how everything works and get experience with it, and just been lazy and haven't moved it since. My DB is less than 1GB but the RDS instances have to be at least 5GB. I had MySQL on the EC2 at first but it didn't have enough RAM to handle it and would crash.

Basically I don't have any content on the CMS so I should really throw it out and just code up a small python server when I have some free time.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Gonna set up a site on Github Pages with Jekyll 2.0

Anyone doing this? Any gotchas or tips you would like to share?

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Install fist, problem solved.

JHVH-1 posted:

I had MySQL on the EC2 at first but it didn't have enough RAM to handle it and would crash.

Just to address this part, you could try ditching RDS and moving back to MySQL on EC2 but now with a swap file. Micro instances don't have one by default, and MySQL server seems to be one of the first things to break from that.

Something like this:
code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=1024
sudo mkswap /swapfile
sudo chmod 0600 /swapfile
sudo swapon /swapfile
Also add /swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0 to /etc/fstab.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

hackedaccount posted:

Gonna set up a site on Github Pages with Jekyll 2.0

Anyone doing this? Any gotchas or tips you would like to share?

I did. I went with Jekyll Bootstrap instead of plain Jekyll as it adds a few extras and I found a theme I liked better. I spent quite a bit of time tweaking and customizing my theme of choice, but it was fun, and neither difficult nor tedious.

No gotchas at all. After you go through the setup process on the dev side of things and get used to the watch/generate/commit/push cycle it becomes second nature. I never had a problem, never had anything fail or crash or behave unexpectedly. It all Just Worked™

A couple of points:

I'm on a Mac, so if you're on Windows, YMMV.

Some older docs (including some on github itself) talk about USERNAME.github.com, but you should really be using USERNAME.github.io

Unless you want to pay for a private repository, your blog's uncompiled source code will be publicly viewable. This shouldn't be a problem, as the site is static so there are no secret API/auth keys or usernames or passwords to expose, but just make sure you don't put anything sensitive (or anything you don't want to be read by the public) in your source comments, and don't leave any sensitive stray files in your repository.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

Unless you want to pay for a private repository, your blog's uncompiled source code will be publicly viewable.

If you really are concerned about that, it's adding another layer of complexity of course, but you can use a private BitBucket repo.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Lacc posted:

Just to address this part, you could try ditching RDS and moving back to MySQL on EC2 but now with a swap file. Micro instances don't have one by default, and MySQL server seems to be one of the first things to break from that.

Something like this:
code:
sudo mkswap /swapfile
sudo swapon /swapfile

enabling swap on a memory-bound EC2 micro instance is maybe the worst suggestion anyone has ever made, including "Let's try invading Russia from the northwest"

The local disks are already swamped, even on SSD driven instances. Enabling swap on a machine that is at risk of running OOM just lets your machine die a slow, agonizing death over many hours instead of running oomkiller immediately and either saving itself or dying.

You could tune mysql until it's not allowed to use very much memory, but depending on your usage it will basically have the same result as enabling swap - hammering the disk hard enough to make the instance grind to a standstill.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Lacc posted:

Something like this:
code:
sudo mkswap /swapfile
sudo swapon /swapfile

I probably could have tried that before I used RDS. I remember doing similar setups on physical machines when customers were too cheap to pay for more RAM. I originally set up the AWS stuff when I was between jobs, and since then I just haven't had time to work on it, or I just didn't feel like messing with servers after doing it all week at work. I should just point the site some place like free hosted wordpress or tumblr till I actually dedicate some time to putting something together. A $10 digital ocean instance though would be plenty and I would have the machine to play with if I ever needed for anything else.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm currently on Apis Networks, and want to get into Rails development. Their basic package doesn't support Rails, and the upgrade will be 2GB of storage and 30GB of bandwidth for 90 bucks a year. Before I upgrade, is there a better host out there? I was interested in Lithium hosting, as for $10 less a year I'd get 15GB of storage and 750GB of Bandwidth, or pay only $15 a year for an account similar to the Apis one, but Lithium is hamstrung by ancient versions of Ruby and Rails.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Lithium is hamstrung by ancient versions of Ruby and Rails.

To be fair, it's because cPanel is dragging their feet so the end users suffer. When cPanel finally pushes the update, all will be well I would assume.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm currently on Apis Networks, and want to get into Rails development. Their basic package doesn't support Rails, and the upgrade will be 2GB of storage and 30GB of bandwidth for 90 bucks a year. Before I upgrade, is there a better host out there? I was interested in Lithium hosting, as for $10 less a year I'd get 15GB of storage and 750GB of Bandwidth, or pay only $15 a year for an account similar to the Apis one, but Lithium is hamstrung by ancient versions of Ruby and Rails.

If you're just learning, perhaps develop locally and deploy to Heroku? First small dyno's free, and that's enough to show something to your friends with.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

eightysixed posted:

To be fair, it's because cPanel is dragging their feet so the end users suffer. When cPanel finally pushes the update, all will be well I would assume.

cPanel is a goddamn joke. The folks developing it are clueless and it shows. Their product is security swiss cheese.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Why hasn't there been a serious alternative to cPanel yet? At least something with a cleaner UI. I was helping someone with their site and I'm surprised that cpanel really hasn't changed much in the past 7 years.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

rawrr posted:

Why hasn't there been a serious alternative to cPanel yet? At least something with a cleaner UI. I was helping someone with their site and I'm surprised that cpanel really hasn't changed much in the past 7 years.

There are alternatives - Plesk and Interworx on the commercial side, and I'd personally say both of them are better than cPanel. There's also the open source ISPConfig which is ugly but functional.

Really though, what I don't get is the hosting industry's (both clients and providers) obsession with increasing their attack surface by using control panels. Most managed providers (not us, though!) won't support you unless you're using cPanel. Really? Are their sysadmins that unskilled? 99% of users just need a web and database server and they're set, this isn't rocket surgery!

Edit: I should clarify, I'm talking about managed VPS/dedicated providers. Obviously you need some sort of management panel for shared hosting!

Thalagyrt fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 14, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How is the pricing for Heroku compared to Amazon or Digital Ocean and the like? I've been out of the loop for years, and I only just heard of these entities a few weeks ago. How do they compare to standard shared hosting?

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, it's out of his hands, cPanel's said updating Rails is right around the corner for half a decade.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How is the pricing for Heroku compared to Amazon or Digital Ocean and the like? I've been out of the loop for years, and I only just heard of these entities a few weeks ago. How do they compare to standard shared hosting?

Yeah, it's out of his hands, cPanel's said updating Rails is right around the corner for half a decade.

Heroku is stupidly expensive. You're paying for their team to manage the operating systems/load balancers/databases/etc for you so you only have to think about your code. There's definitely value in what they do, though. They make it very easy to scale horizontally.

Heroku's pricing once you get past the free tier is actually higher than the cost of a high end managed VPS - about $72/mo for a 1GB dyno. They also charge $50/mo for production tier PostgreSQL database servers, so for a real production grade environment (2 dynos + prod database) you're looking at around $100 a month to start.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there such a thing as a service that'll hit my server with a bunch of requests for a few minutes to see how it holds up? Almost like a voluntary DOS attack? I've also had problems in the past with MySQL shutting down when traffic gets heavy and I want to test my current setup.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

loadimpact.com

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
thanks old bean

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fuf posted:

Is there such a thing as a service that'll hit my server with a bunch of requests for a few minutes to see how it holds up? Almost like a voluntary DOS attack? I've also had problems in the past with MySQL shutting down when traffic gets heavy and I want to test my current setup.

You should be able to write a test script in a few minutes with whatever language you like and something like Mechanize

Run it from a few different host machines and see what happens.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Thalagyrt posted:

Really though, what I don't get is the hosting industry's (both clients and providers) obsession with increasing their attack surface by using control panels. Most managed providers (not us, though!) won't support you unless you're using cPanel. Really? Are their sysadmins that unskilled? 99% of users just need a web and database server and they're set, this isn't rocket surgery!

It's because the customers don't know poo poo, and your $12 an hour support monkey generally doesn't know much more.

(We happily support things without plesk/cPanel crapping stuff up, and frankly, I cannot stand either of them.)

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

cstine posted:

It's because the customers don't know poo poo, and your $12 an hour support monkey generally doesn't know much more.

(We happily support things without plesk/cPanel crapping stuff up, and frankly, I cannot stand either of them.)

If a company can't spend a bit of money on a few decent sysadmins instead of $12/hour support monkeys then they're likely partaking in this idiotic race to the bottom that's going on, which is mostly fueled by summer hosts run by 16 year olds. Kids who think they can run a hosting business need to stop trying to cater to people who think they should be able to get a 16GB VPS for $2/year, and real providers need to stop engaging in a race to the bottom with summer hosts that just care about the shiny feeling of "ooh I made a sale! someone likes me!" without any regard to whether or not they could actually be sustainable. Of course, that'll never happen with how low the barrier to entry is...

Edit: Bear in mind, I'm talking specifically about fully managed hosting here. I understand $12/hour support monkeys in the self-managed and shared sector. However, if a company is going to call themselves fully managed, then they shouldn't be contracting support out to folks in India who charge $1/ticket. They should have their own in-house systems team to handle those managed clients. The majority of "fully managed" hosts I see on WHT actually seem to outsource all support to the lowest bidder, which I find absolutely ridiculous.

Thalagyrt fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 14, 2014

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Is anyone in the google domains beta? I have access to it but I wanted to know if you could send mail with the free forwarded email it provides? Basically if I forward it to my gmail account, can I send as the domain address or will all outgoing emails be from @gmail.com

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Thalagyrt posted:

Edit: Bear in mind, I'm talking specifically about fully managed hosting here. I understand $12/hour support monkeys in the self-managed and shared sector. However, if a company is going to call themselves fully managed, then they shouldn't be contracting support out to folks in India who charge $1/ticket. They should have their own in-house systems team to handle those managed clients. The majority of "fully managed" hosts I see on WHT actually seem to outsource all support to the lowest bidder, which I find absolutely ridiculous.

Well yes, for fully managed it makes sense - the problem is, though, that the race to the bottom makes a $250 a month managed server look REALLY expensive, compared to CrapHost's $2.95 a month VPS.

And, ultimately, almost every customer I've dealt with whines about 'OH NO TOO MUCH', even when they immediately whine about 'BUT MY MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN LOST BUSINESS'.

(Disclaimer: I work somewhere that does managed and unmanaged hosting, and I make somewhat more than $12 an hour - though not spectacularly more. Lower pay for more freedom is a reasonable tradeoff.)

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

cstine posted:

Well yes, for fully managed it makes sense - the problem is, though, that the race to the bottom makes a $250 a month managed server look REALLY expensive, compared to CrapHost's $2.95 a month VPS.

And, ultimately, almost every customer I've dealt with whines about 'OH NO TOO MUCH', even when they immediately whine about 'BUT MY MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN LOST BUSINESS'.

(Disclaimer: I work somewhere that does managed and unmanaged hosting, and I make somewhat more than $12 an hour - though not spectacularly more. Lower pay for more freedom is a reasonable tradeoff.)

Have you been following the GVH drama over at WHT? Prime example of what you're talking about there. Hosting "company" run by a 16 year old kid who lets his 10 year old sister do VPS migrations for him. Dude charges something around $17/mo for a "fully managed" 4GB VPS. There's no way what he's doing will be sustainable once he moves out of mommy and daddy's house and actually has bills to pay. There's a thread about his crap hosting twice a week, yet people still buy because his prices are the lowest in the entire industry.

Really wish people would start looking for quality instead of just price. There are plenty of people out there who do, otherwise we'd have gone out of business long ago as we're not taking part in the price war at all, but the vast majority just look at price and nothing else. They buy a lovely $3/mo 512MB VPS, get burned by the hosting company, then buy another lovely $3/mo VPS, and get burned again, and never learn, opting instead to jump from one low end provider to another. It's incredible!

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Thalagyrt posted:

Really wish people would start looking for quality instead of just price. There are plenty of people out there who do, otherwise we'd have gone out of business long ago as we're not taking part in the price war at all, but the vast majority just look at price and nothing else. They buy a lovely $3/mo 512MB VPS, get burned by the hosting company, then buy another lovely $3/mo VPS, and get burned again, and never learn, opting instead to jump from one low end provider to another. It's incredible!

During my "career" doing random IT contracting stuff, that was almost EVERYONE I dealt with.

It was a cost, so don't spend any money. Your website making you $50,000 a month in sales? Can't afford a $129 a month dedicated box to fix the performance problems your poo poo VPS has!

Except then your poo poo VPS dies, and WHY DIDN'T YOU FIX THIS becomes the new mantra.

The hosting gig seems to be a little better - we don't do VMs in any form, at all. So we've already weeded out the super-cheap types, and generally the customers that are left don't throw a giant fit where it's all about the cost, and nothing else matters.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

cstine posted:

During my "career" doing random IT contracting stuff, that was almost EVERYONE I dealt with.

It was a cost, so don't spend any money. Your website making you $50,000 a month in sales? Can't afford a $129 a month dedicated box to fix the performance problems your poo poo VPS has!

Except then your poo poo VPS dies, and WHY DIDN'T YOU FIX THIS becomes the new mantra.

The hosting gig seems to be a little better - we don't do VMs in any form, at all. So we've already weeded out the super-cheap types, and generally the customers that are left don't throw a giant fit where it's all about the cost, and nothing else matters.

Yup. That's been my experience as well. If you don't target bottom barrel pricing, the customers you get are actually quite nice! :)

One of my partners wrote up a rather nice article about two different companies he worked for in the past on our blog. One of them had the mentality of everything being a cost, and the other had the mentality of everything being an investment in their business's future. If you're interested in the read, https://www.vnucleus.com/blog/2014/7/28/13-the-total-cost-of-ownership

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

THF13 posted:

Is anyone in the google domains beta? I have access to it but I wanted to know if you could send mail with the free forwarded email it provides? Basically if I forward it to my gmail account, can I send as the domain address or will all outgoing emails be from @gmail.com

I'm in on it but it won't actually let me do anything because I'm not in the US :(

You can configure different sending addresses through gmail's preferences (gmail > cog > settings > accounts > send mail as)

however note that your primary account (gmail address) will still be in the headers on outgoing mail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Thanks, any recommended alternative free email service you can use with your own domain? Really just need imap support for a handful of addresses. I used to use windows live domains but they closed up new domain registrations too.