Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

No, there seems to be a complete split at the mountain range between Persia and Rajastan. At the earliest start date, there might be some clashes between the buddhist ruler of Afghanistan and the Saffarids or Khiva, but later there doesn't seem to be any action there at all.

I think it's mostly the terrain - supply limits are low, and even if you have your retinues you will be paying a lot to replenish them. Invading Persia as India is not cheap. (I guess you could use boats but those still aren't cheap.)

Luigi Thirty posted:

Isn't there an artificial diplomacy range limit or something? It makes no historical sense for a French count to marry his daughter off to the raj of Sinhal or whatever but when has this game ever concerned itself with accuracy?

Yes, diplo limit is based off of how close you are to their territory; it's not based on your capitals but on any piece of controlled land. By the time that screenshot was taken, I think I already could start relations with the Karlings, who went and vassalized the Pope and made him a Karling too because why not.

I kind of wish there was actual diplomacy though. I can send my spymaster to Constantinople for that sweet sweet tech, and my Chancellor to suck up to someone so they don't attack, but that's it. Having something like trade events or diplomatic functions would be a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

There was snow in the trailer, so if they add seasons and seasonal effects this could indeed be a massive expansion. Not to mention getting the history for everything from Iceland to Sri Lanka right. A few new mechanics for the HRE don't seem too unlikely, considering that it's about Charlemagne. And there are probably a host of other mechanics that they can introduce with the DLC.
I've been wondering about that. I've only just started brushing up on Indian history and have only read up on India to Late Antiquity, but in general it seems there's a dearth of pre-Islamic documentation. Most info on pre-Islamic India seems dependent on archaeology and the occasional carved message somewhere reading "I, King of All Kings and most beneficent of lords, do hereby brag about this sicknasty road I ordered built". How was the Indian work for The Old Gods and this (probable) Carolingian expansion done?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been wondering about that. I've only just started brushing up on Indian history and have only read up on India to Late Antiquity, but in general it seems there's a dearth of pre-Islamic documentation. Most info on pre-Islamic India seems dependent on archaeology and the occasional carved message somewhere reading "I, King of All Kings and most beneficent of lords, do hereby brag about this sicknasty road I ordered built". How was the Indian work for The Old Gods and this (probable) Carolingian expansion done?

Lots and lots of these things, I think. Apparently it's possible to write "at length" on dozens of dynasties from the sixth century onward.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Saxons are pagan from the screenshot, do you think they just threw them into Norse or gave them a Germanic paganism? Hopefully they've fleshed out the pagan religions a lot more, like Slavic, Romuva, Suomenusko, since they're going to be around a lot longer, to give them more to do would be pretty reasonable. At least give all the pagan religions Zoroastrian levels of stuff to do, if not Norse. Bulgarians are still pagan as well. Khazars will need some kind of conversion event to move to Judaism?

Also Dutch are gone, Scots are now Picts, all the Spanish cultures are now Visigothic. I guess that they will do things ala the Norse differentiation mechanic, where people will randomly start to turn Portuguese, Castilian, Catalan from Visigothic based on their location.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 14, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
An hour until we're all supremely disappointed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Another thing is if you go too much earlier you start running into Arab paganism instead of Islam and you probably don't want to make a game where you can kill Mohammed in the early 600s.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It seems unlikely to me that it will be 20$ for just a new bookmark. At least, I hope so. I would love changes to make playing in the dark ages feel substantively different than the high medieval period. Anyway gently caress Charlemagne, I'm excited for some Mercian Hymns.

"King of the perennial holly-groves, the riven sandstone: overlord of the M5: architect of the historic rampart and ditch, the citadel at Tamworth, the summer hermitage in Holy Cross: guardian of the Welsh Bridge and the Iron Bridge: contractor to the desirable new estates: saltmaster: moneychanger: commissioner for oaths: martyrologist: the friend of Charlemagne."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Another thing is if you go too much earlier you start running into Arab paganism instead of Islam and you probably don't want to make a game where you can kill Mohammed in the early 600s.

That would make it the paradox forums favorite DLC by far if that happened.

Also we don't have any info, besides the bookmark, I don't know why everyone is freaking out.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Seriously people, that there is a new bookmark doesn't mean the new bookmark is the expansion, Paradox aren't idiots and wouldn't expect you to pay $20 for that. Old Gods introduced a shitload of new features besides 867, and I expect the same thing to happen here.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Guildencrantz posted:

Seriously people, that there is a new bookmark doesn't mean the new bookmark is the expansion, Paradox aren't idiots and wouldn't expect you to pay $20 for that. Old Gods introduced a shitload of new features besides 867, and I expect the same thing to happen here.

Basically this. I imagine a large amount of new stuff will come in via the accompanying patch, per the usual.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I expect the pulled back bookmark, weather, and some generous new gameplay types and features. There's going to have to be the latter if they're going to pull the date back that far and expect the remaining 700 some odd years of gameplay to make sense/be enjoyable.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would make it the paradox forums favorite DLC by far if that happened.

Also we don't have any info, besides the bookmark, I don't know why everyone is freaking out.

I've always assumed that if paradox really wanted to please their forums they'd make some balkan themed DLC where you can be (whatever balkan group you belong to) and then go and create your dream balkan empire/conquer europe.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Landsknecht posted:

I've always assumed that if paradox really wanted to please their forums they'd make some balkan themed DLC where you can be (whatever balkan group you belong to) and then go and create your dream balkan empire/conquer europe.

Crusader Clay.

: crying flag:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Landsknecht posted:

2006 called, they want their easy target back.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

And each ethnicity would get many different bonuses like in EU3.

Russian Winters! +10 infamy limit!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

And each ethnicity would get many different bonuses like in EU3.

Russian Winters! +10 infamy limit!

"Like in EU3"? I thought only MEIOU gave ethnic groups individual bonuses.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Watch a bunch of nerds awkwardly mingle, and then some stuff about video games.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Its disappointment time!!!!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Oh we're gonna see some PoE from Obsidian with this as well?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Don't care about your dumbass company history, I care about the games. So shut up and start telling me something useful :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

"Like in EU3"? I thought only MEIOU gave ethnic groups individual bonuses.

Prussia (Prussian Military Reforms) and Austria (Habsburg Dominance, Fugger Banks, Establish Hofkriegsrat) getting super OP innate bonuses from decisions was a staple of EU3.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, wolf whistles for finances, let's go.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't care about EU IV! Show some CK2!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I don't care about EU IV! Show some CK2!

"Turns out not killing things isn't fun. So we're gonna go back to killing things."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
"Super secret announcement, and no one could see this trailer a few hours ago." LOL

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

The General posted:

"Turns out not killing things isn't fun. So we're gonna go back to killing things."

So much for internal politics. :(

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That sure was a map

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tomn posted:

That was for EU4. Though it's not looking good for CK2 either. More war.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It's railroaded and narrative-based.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tomn posted:

Sometimes I wonder if CK2 is a happy accident, the way they steadfastly avoid internal politics upgrades :(

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Uhhh, 'story driven narrative'? Well, that's different at least.

e; maybe it's like what they are doing in the Game of Thrones mod with Daenerys etc.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Customizable kingdoms, eh?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What the gently caress does customizable kingdoms mean?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
They can't all be good, well maybe well get a decent expansion next time :(

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

DStecks posted:

What the gently caress does customizable kingdoms mean?

My guess is, you get to a certain size as a duchy you can create your own titular kingdom, if you can't also create a de jure kingdom and are independent.

Edit: Also, I'm totally loving underwhelmed. CK2's direction has ceased to be about refinement and has given in to longer time spans and feature bloat.

Tercio fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 14, 2014

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
That was kind of underwhelmimg. Can't see them putting it out for $20.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
So wait, is the CKII announcement over? What the hell did we actually get?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Leb posted:

:downswords: Charlemagne :downswords:

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Leb posted:

pretty much nothing other than another 200 years for nothing to happen - and longer saving times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Leb posted:

Timeline pushed back from 867 by 100 years with special emphasis on Charlemagne and "customizable kingdoms"

• Locked thread