Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Gort posted:

£1.39 for The Witcher is silly-good value if you like RPGs at all.

Witch 1 is nigh-unplayable these days, as a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Jesus Christ, this bullshit again. :jerkbag:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Witcher 1 is kind of rough in the gameplay department (mostly the combat) but everything else holds up pretty well.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's hardly unplayable, but I can understand people not liking the gameplay. It's actually my main beef with the series as a whole so far, CD Projekt RED really need to step up their game when it comes to combat system.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Jesus Christ, this bullshit again. :jerkbag:

It's extremely rough in UI, combat and general control fidelity and you know it. Alright, not unplayable, but enough that a ton of people have bounced off it because of how it plays. It's a really good game despite that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

It's hardly unplayable, but I can understand people not liking the gameplay. It's actually my main beef with the series as a whole so far, CD Projekt RED really need to step up their game when it comes to combat system.

I remember enjoying the combat of W2.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Orv posted:

Orv posted:

Risen 3: If you have an undying love for European jank RPGs, pick it up when it hits $10. Maybe don't otherwise.

You have bad opinions!

I played through W1 no modifications like 2 years ago smooth as eggs

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

iastudent posted:

New Indie Royale "Topware Bundle" is live.

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Dream Pinball 3D for: Win, Mac - Steam, Desura, DRM key
Planets Under Attack for: Win, Mac - Steam, Desura, DRM key
Earth 2140 for: Win, Mac - Steam only
Enclave Gold Edition for: Win - Steam, Desura, DRM free
Commander: Conquest of the Americas Gold for: Win - Steam, Desura, DRM key
Jack Orlando for: Win - Steam, Desura, DRM free
X-Blades for: Win - Steam, Desura, DRM key
3SwitscheD for: Win, Mac - Steam , Desura, DRM key
Chicken Shoot for: Win - Steam ( Gold version) , Desura, DRM key
Chicken Shoot 2 for: Win - Desura, DRM key ( Chicken Shoot 2 is part of Chicken Shoot Gold on Steam)

man i just bought jack orlando

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

John Romero posted:

I think I've identified your problems.

Anybody have any idea when Beta version 14 is going to hit XCOM Long War?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

I think I've identified your problems.

Except jack orlando is amazing.

John Romero posted:

don't worry I'll let you know how good and worth it chicken shoot 2 is

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mortimer posted:

You have bad opinions!

I played through W1 no modifications like 2 years ago smooth as eggs

Coming from you I feel pretty good about my opinions. Also note retraction post.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think Humble Bundle have misunderstood the definition of 'weekly'.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Galactic Civilisations is a franchise I never bothered with before because there was no multiplayer. People seem to rave about Galciv 2 though - is the beta for Galciv 3 any good from a multiplayer point of view? (Or even just good at all)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gort posted:

Galactic Civilisations is a franchise I never bothered with before because there was no multiplayer. People seem to rave about Galciv 2 though - is the beta for Galciv 3 any good from a multiplayer point of view? (Or even just good at all)

It is functional, but at this point GalCiv 3 has nothing over GalCiv 2 right now, as they're basically building the game from the ground up, and starting with the things they're not changing from 2. Also diplo and (a wide array of) events, two of the best parts of GalCiv, are currently not in.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Why on earth does Marlow Briggs have always-online DRM when it's a singleplayer game :psyduck: I didn't lose much progress but still, what the heck

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Probably because it was partly developed by Microsoft, something I didn't learn until the credits.

What a weird little game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Orv posted:

It's extremely rough in UI, combat and general control fidelity and you know it. Alright, not unplayable, but enough that a ton of people have bounced off it because of how it plays. It's a really good game despite that.

I played through it for the first time 2-3 years ago and it was fine. Installed one or two quality of life mods and had a good time with it. It's not like trying to play System Shock 2 or something like that where the moment it boots up you're just like, "what the gently caress?!"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Marlow Briggs was such good fun. I hope they make a sequel, I'd buy it Day 1.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

The lead combat designer at CD Projekt put a year each into massive overhaul mods for Witcher 1 & 2, mostly in response to community feedback on the combat. They're technically not official (it's a kinda similar situation to the JSawyer mod for New Vegas - lead developer doing post-release support on his own time), but they're fully endorsed by the studio on the official sites.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dominic White posted:

The lead combat designer at CD Projekt put a year each into massive overhaul mods for Witcher 1 & 2, mostly in response to community feedback on the combat. They're technically not official, but they're fully endorsed by the studio on the official sites.

I can fully endorse the overhaul mod for Witcher 2 - it made the combat in that game so much better. I really enjoyed the combat in Witcher 1, but I would trust that guy to have modded it well.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Holy moly, what the hell did they do to the Steam UI in today's update? Are there any actual quality-of-life improvements that I'm missing, or did they just make it visually worse in every way, from the icons to the colors to this terrible new font?

I guess it's time to start looking at skins, which I haven't felt a need to use since back in the days when Steam was grey-green.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cathair posted:

Holy moly, what the hell did they do to the Steam UI in today's update? Are there any actual quality-of-life improvements that I'm missing, or did they just make it visually worse in every way, from the icons to the colors to this terrible new font?

I guess it's time to start looking at skins, which I haven't felt a need to use since back in the days when Steam was grey-green.

All of the worthwhile updates will still function with a skin, so.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gort posted:

I can fully endorse the overhaul mod for Witcher 2 - it made the combat in that game so much better. I really enjoyed the combat in Witcher 1, but I would trust that guy to have modded it well.

The one for The Witcher 1 is a far more dramatic change. It tries to rejig it to play a bit more like the sequel, so combat is faster and deadlier and more focused on evasion. This works well for the most part, but due to hardcoded bits and limitations, it does make the opening act with all the Barghests and The Beast slightly more bullshitty than usual.

It fully vindicates itself in the swamp area, though. Not only are there fewer monsters to deal with, but they have their own territories and will fight other monsters, rather than all making a beeline for the player.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Cathair posted:

you can add games to multiple categories now. maybe I'm blind but visually I'm not even really seeing much different other than the tray icon and play button

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cathair posted:

Are you talking about beta updates because I don't see any differences?

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Awesome! posted:

you can add games to multiple categories now. maybe I'm blind but visually I'm not even really seeing much different other than the tray icon and play button

You can also ctrl+click to add multiple games to categories at once.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I guess I'm the only one who prefers the new look of steam?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If I enjoyed Tropico 4 should I buy Tropico 5? (It's 30% off right now)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Tomato posted:

I guess I'm the only one who prefers the new look of steam?

I didn't but it's growing on me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I like the look of the main client, but the online friends color is awful.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
With the steam update can you ctrl+ to increase the font size of their terrible built in web browser?? Does that enhanced Steam let you do this?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Awesome! posted:

Ok, this is cool. I'm finding some acceptable skins, nothing that I like as much as the old default skin, but stuff that will do just fine.

Mostly, the problem is the font and the colors. The font has suddenly become skinny, blurry, and too small by just enough to cause annoyance. The colors are now predominately pale blue, and the black parts have less background shading. I'm not going to rag on anybody's subjective taste, but when you're designing a one-size-fits-all UI that must be inoffensive to a huge swath of people and is being used in a very utilitarian, daily-use application, pale blue is a terrible, eye-searing choice.

Everything looks really flat too, but that's a trivial issue and may just be a perception issue caused by colors. The tray icon is also a trivial issue, but the pixelation, background tint, and circular cropping come together to make it nearly indecipherable, which just makes me wonder who ever thought it would be a good idea.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

computer parts posted:

If I enjoyed Tropico 4 should I buy Tropico 5? (It's 30% off right now)

Tropico 5 is pretty great and an actual meaningful update to the game when compared to the last few sequels/expansions

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So Kalypso has Tropico, and then not really any other series that are very well-regarded, is what I'm getting from the reviews on some of these games.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

So Kalypso has Tropico, and then not really any other series that are very well-regarded, is what I'm getting from the reviews on some of these games.

Kalypso are basically just a publisher of other developers games with ~3 in-house studios. Most of what they put out is garbage, especially Dark. Don't buy Dark. Buy Demonicon if you're super into incest.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Friendly reminder that you want the Reincarnation version of Disciples 3 and it's not on sale.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Orv posted:

Friendly reminder that you want the Reincarnation version of Disciples 3 and it's not on sale.

I bought Disciples III reincarnation on the last sale and uninstalled it in half an hour. It has, without doubt, the worst UI I've ever seen in my life. It looks like complete dog poo poo.

Imagine the Warcraft II interface but with 50% more arbitrary, pixilated icons and bullshit around the entire screen. That is the disciples III interface.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheCoon posted:

Kalypso are basically just a publisher of other developers games with ~3 in-house studios. Most of what they put out is garbage, especially Dark. Don't buy Dark. Buy Demonicon if you're super into incest.

The middle market has all but vanished on Steam thanks to the sales but Kalypso is basically a middle market developer. They aren't producing nothing but tiny indie games and they aren't going to sell the next Call of Duty... but they still do have aspirations to the latter. So their games have big goals but almost always fall short. I am not going to call Dark a good game but it... works? It's the kind of game you'd buy in the 90's if you were someone who just needed to have the NEW GAME but also didn't have $60 or more to spend on the latest from EA, or the kind your mom would buy for Christmas but also thought $60+ was too much. You'd be kind of disappointed but at least it looked better than playing your SNES or Genesis again.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 14, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

I bought Disciples III reincarnation on the last sale and uninstalled it in half an hour. It has, without doubt, the worst UI I've ever seen in my life. It looks like complete dog poo poo.

Imagine the Warcraft II interface but with 50% more arbitrary, pixilated icons and bullshit around the entire screen. That is the disciples III interface.

I mean what you really want is Disciples 2 Gold, but if you've gotta have 3... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm still pissed that Kalypso decided to not patch the "Steam Special Edition" and instead go for a new version of the game, "Reincarnation." I can't think of any other developer that does that, when they are basically the same game except one has better AI.

That said, the development team, .dat, who made Disciples is no longer around. So none of the versions will get future updates.

e words are hard

Setset fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread