Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Boxman posted:

I'm running built in apple stuff (safari, messages), Adium, Dropbox, and the 1password mini-client. I suppose that could all be causing a bigger-than usual drain.

Whatevs, as long as people didn't say "that's obviously wrong" I don't care about a bit of variance. I do love this machine though. Coming to this after having a 2007 MBP for so long is a dream.

You can open Activity Monitor, click the "Energy" tab and see if anything seems to be drawing more than you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

So I am basically complaining that my mid 2011 27" iMac is too good.

I would really like to own a laptop instead of a desktop these days but the iMac is just too good even with 3 years under its belt. I put 16gb RAM in not long ago and it's as quick as ever ( and hardly using half of it)

Looking on eBay I wouldn't even have trouble getting half of what it cost back.

God drat this hardware is good.

Welcome to owning a Mac. Well, I guess it's been 3 years already. Welcome to the part where you find out your old computer is still pretty valuable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 2010 iMac had to be repaired 4 times and I hated that thing. My 2012 iMac has been a trooper though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If anything I find that lately the new glue'n'glass style iMacs have a much higher OOTB defective rate, anecdotally speaking.

In the months since the Late 2012 came out, I've had maybe six machines (at the rate of setting up one every week or two) fail to even come on, two that poo poo the bed literally the next day. Pretty much unheard of in earlier models.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

benisntfunny posted:

Did you have an accident that left your hands permanently disfigured in a way that coincidentally makes Magic Mouse comfortable to use?

Apple has always had the worst and ugliest mice.

I legitimately love it, and I have no deformity that I'm aware of. :confused:

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

kode54 posted:

Is the Magic Trackpad properly supported under Windows at all? I mean, I can understand if Apple doesn't want to implement gestures for Windows users, but at least smooth scrolling would be nice.

I just tried it out in Parallels, and two-finger scrolling works, but I wouldn't call it smooth.

I don't use Windows too much, so love my Magic Trackpad.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pivo posted:

It's usually pretty accurate, but if it's brand new it takes a while to calibrate...

Using a browser other than Safari is usually a reason people see worse-than-advertised battery life. I use Chrome because :yolo: but Safari is a lot more efficient, if you can stomach it.

All current machines use pre-calibrated batteries that do not require calibration.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

Boxman posted:

I'm running built in apple stuff (safari, messages), Adium, Dropbox, and the 1password mini-client. I suppose that could all be causing a bigger-than usual drain.

Whatevs, as long as people didn't say "that's obviously wrong" I don't care about a bit of variance. I do love this machine though. Coming to this after having a 2007 MBP for so long is a dream.

It's mostly Dropbox and Safari.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

It's mostly Dropbox and Safari.

Probably mostly Dropbox, it tends to eat CPU like crazy when syncing. Never enough to notice it while doing something else but enough to drop your battery life.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Laserface posted:

So I am basically complaining that my mid 2011 27" iMac is too good.

I would really like to own a laptop instead of a desktop these days but the iMac is just too good even with 3 years under its belt. I put 16gb RAM in not long ago and it's as quick as ever ( and hardly using half of it)

Looking on eBay I wouldn't even have trouble getting half of what it cost back.

God drat this hardware is good.

I almost have that problem with my 2011 MBP. I do all my heavy lifting on my work machine so all my personal stuff the MBP handles just fine. My only complaint is that I didn't get an SSD which is something that I'm definitely feeling, and the computer itself is kind of heavy so I'm pulling the trigger on a 13" RMBP upgrade.

At this point it's up to Intel to make the CPUs markedly faster, but what are you going to do.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah, I was in a computer store the other day buying a stack of SSDs for work machines and thought 'I might grab a Samsung 840 for my iMac'

....well, it doesnt really need it as all my stuff is on the NAS and the 1TB in the iMac is quick enough since it boots on a schedule anyway. Then I thought to get one for my aging ULV Toshiba notebook but then decided that too was a waste since I want to get a rMBP soon, which I dont really wanna do until I feel that the iMac is finished....

sigh. :negative:

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Has Apple's support gone majorly downhill or is it just the people I'm dealing with? Been with them for 30 years. The support I've gotten is very bad.

Long story short: bought an iMac, major problems for over 6 months. They claimed nothing was wrong with it despite having crazy video card glitches etc and crashes every 4 hours. Done 6-7 clean reinstalls on it, same poo poo.

One time I rang Apple, they put me on hold 6 times and hung up on me. Seems like the opposite of the Apple I've dealt with previously. I just want them to resolve the issue, not sure what the hell is going on.

I've done all the stuff I can do like take it in and have Apple service it as well as contact The Department of Fair Trading in Australia. Seems like I have to kick it up to NCAT or court. :(

Disappointing, because I really like Apple...

Pelikan
Sep 24, 2003
Update on the Air with audio issues: ended up being a faulty headphone jack. Sent it off to repair at the Applestore, covered under the 1-year Applecare that came with the machine. Typical 3-5 day wait. Sort of bemusing since it's only 5 weeks old (1 week after they say they would have simply exchanged it).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I would have just pushed them to swap it out to be honest but hey at least they're fixing it

Being well-dressed and well-spoken and saying "may I please speak to a manager?" gets you pretty far in Apple stores if you have a legit complaint (though they will tell you to gently caress off in nicer language if you're just being an entitled prick)

Pelikan
Sep 24, 2003
Them are some wild presumptions. It was purchased at BestBuy, so none of that was possible. And of course they're fixing it. It's defective hardware within the 1-year guarantee window. I'd expect nothing less from any number of other companies. But thanks for the unsolicited goon-advice about dressing well and being a plausible human being.

Pelikan fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 13, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Laserface posted:

Yeah, I was in a computer store the other day buying a stack of SSDs for work machines and thought 'I might grab a Samsung 840 for my iMac'

....well, it doesnt really need it as all my stuff is on the NAS and the 1TB in the iMac is quick enough since it boots on a schedule anyway. Then I thought to get one for my aging ULV Toshiba notebook but then decided that too was a waste since I want to get a rMBP soon, which I dont really wanna do until I feel that the iMac is finished....

sigh. :negative:

Also, if the iMac is a Late 2009 or later, the fans would go to screaming jet speed every boot up if you swapped the SSD for Apple's modded platter drive.

Fan controlling software can solve the problem but you'd still have the fans going to turbo mode until the OS and then the software loads.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there a recommended bluetooth mouse I can get for my rMBP 13 for gaming?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

the_lion posted:

Has Apple's support gone majorly downhill or is it just the people I'm dealing with? Been with them for 30 years. The support I've gotten is very bad.

Long story short: bought an iMac, major problems for over 6 months. They claimed nothing was wrong with it despite having crazy video card glitches etc and crashes every 4 hours. Done 6-7 clean reinstalls on it, same poo poo.

One time I rang Apple, they put me on hold 6 times and hung up on me. Seems like the opposite of the Apple I've dealt with previously. I just want them to resolve the issue, not sure what the hell is going on.

I've done all the stuff I can do like take it in and have Apple service it as well as contact The Department of Fair Trading in Australia. Seems like I have to kick it up to NCAT or court. :(

Disappointing, because I really like Apple...

You say you've taken it in and had apple service it. Can you be a little more specific as to what they serviced?

AppleCare on the phone will have a very hard time with intermittent video issues as they can't see it. My suggestion to you is to find the exact way to reproduce it and have them reproduce it at the store so they can troubleshoot. In addition, I would note the EXACT day and time it last happens before you bring it in so they can dig in console and see what it's spitting out. Taking it into a store (not going to assume, but based on the way you worded it it sounds like once) and then calling the department of fair trade is certainly not all you can do to get it fixed.

Don't waste your time with courts. It'll get you nowhere.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
^^^ That

Find some way to reproduce the issue on demand is the most important step. That way, they can't claim it's fixed or "we were unable to reproduce it." Then bring it into the store, show them, and it should get fixed (or replaced).

I had many months of runaround from Applecare about one of my Minis (something like 5 or 6 visits to the store including 4 repairs and two calls to AppleCare attempting to escalate the issue) and jack poo poo got fixed until I found a way to consistently reproduce the problem.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 13, 2014

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Sometimes my new rMBP will do this thing where the screen goes black but not off. Just kind of randomly it will go black but the weird thing is that it stays backlit and I can see the mouse. It looks like the kind of black you see when a monitor is on but has no input source. Whats the deal?

Also, I figure I should mention that I'm not doing the thing where you move your mouse to the corner and the screen goes off.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Time posted:

Sometimes my new rMBP will do this thing where the screen goes black but not off. Just kind of randomly it will go black but the weird thing is that it stays backlit and I can see the mouse. It looks like the kind of black you see when a monitor is on but has no input source. Whats the deal?

Also, I figure I should mention that I'm not doing the thing where you move your mouse to the corner and the screen goes off.

How often does it happen? If you can still see the cursor it sounds like the GUI is crashing. Back up ASAP in case the whole system goes down.

Try it in a different user. Make sure you're up to date. If you're up to date and it happens in another user, try repairing disk permissions. If it continues, reinstall the OS.

Cool Uncle
Dec 23, 2011

Time posted:

My new rMBP gets stuck in that same black screen for about 10 seconds occasionally when I wake it. It looks like quite a few other people have had this issue, but I haven't spent the time to really look for a solution.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Choadmaster posted:

^^^ That

Find some way to reproduce the issue on demand is the most important step. That way, they can't claim it's fixed or "we were unable to reproduce it." Then bring it into the store, show them, and it should get fixed (or replaced).

I had many months of runaround from Applecare about one of my Minis (something like 5 or 6 visits to the store including 4 repairs and two calls to AppleCare attempting to escalate the issue) and jack poo poo got fixed until I found a way to consistently reproduce the problem.

Alternatively if you can get video or photographic evidence of it the next time it happens, that will go a long way toward making them believe something's up.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
I ordered a rMBP 15" with pretty high spec on the UK refurb store yesterday morning. Just over 24 hours later I got a call from a woman in Ireland who says that unfortunately the unit is not in stock and so they are having to cancel my order. She was pretty cagey about whether this would happen again and again if I tried ordering when the unit I want comes back in stock (I don't think she understood my question). Has anyone else had this experience with the refurb store?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MrBond posted:

Alternatively if you can get video or photographic evidence of it the next time it happens, that will go a long way toward making them believe something's up.

It's not a belief issue. It's that if they can't reproduce it, they can't know what part needs to be fixed (video distortion could be gpu, logic board, memory, and a whole ton of other poo poo) and they can't verify the issue was resolved once they put a part in.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Yup, belief has little to do with it. I had a dozen videos of my Mini kernel panicking even after the first few repair attempts, but since they couldn't ever reproduce it themselves eventually they just claimed "it must be a software issue" and refused to do anything more. As soon as I stumbled on a way to reproduce it, it got fixed immediately.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking to grab a 13" rMBP soon (relatively), and I'm torn on the spec to shell out for.

I almost definitely wanna bootcamp Windows or Ubuntu on there, but also probably will be running a VM semi-regularly. (a few times a week, minimum)

I can't imagine getting by without a 256+ SSD, but I'm not so sure about 8 vs 16 GB RAM. On the one hand it's expensive and probably unnecessary to get the 16, on the other hand it's permanent if I don't get it now due to being soldered in, and in the future it might bite me in the rear end, since I want this machine to last me a while if I'm spending ~£1000 on it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Surprise T Rex posted:

I'm looking to grab a 13" rMBP soon (relatively), and I'm torn on the spec to shell out for.

I almost definitely wanna bootcamp Windows or Ubuntu on there, but also probably will be running a VM semi-regularly. (a few times a week, minimum)

I can't imagine getting by without a 256+ SSD, but I'm not so sure about 8 vs 16 GB RAM. On the one hand it's expensive and probably unnecessary to get the 16, on the other hand it's permanent if I don't get it now due to being soldered in, and in the future it might bite me in the rear end, since I want this machine to last me a while if I'm spending ~£1000 on it.

I have the 13" with 8GB and 256. I wish I had gotten the 512. I don't bootcamp, but I do have a 50GB Win7 vm and a 50GB Win8 vm that I use for work. I'm always concerned with HD space. The VMs are thin provisioned, but even a base Win install after some updates is like 30GB.

I'm ok with 8GB. I don't run both VMs at the same time, but I do run a couple small linux VMs (well, it's a RH server running KVM with a few small servers running inside it as a training lab) I never have RAM shortages. Spring for the 512. My plan is next year to sell this and get a Broadwell 16/512 model.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I'm thinking about getting a refurb rMBP 15 from Apple. Is there any reason to avoid refurbished stuff from their store or anything I should know about beforehand?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are fine and has the same warranty as new. Which model are you looking at? BHphoto has some really good deals on the last generation ones. and no tax.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Looking at the current gen ones with 512 gb ssd and 750m. I'm mostly asking because I haven't owned a Mac since 2004, but I started using OSX occasionally at work, and god drat do I find it nicer to work with these days.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
tl;dr: How much will adding a 7200 RPM HDD to a 15" MBP affect battery life?

Backstory: I have a early 2011 15" MBP with a 128GB SSD. I added a 1TB 7200 RPM HDD in place of the DVD drive. Currently, I have terminal scripts in the dock to mount and unmount (which causes the drive to spin down) the HDD so that it's only spinning when I actually need data on it (which is usually only when I'm doing music production or photo editing at home connected to AC power).

Recently, I've been running into the 128GB limit on the SSD and as a result have been spending more time than I'd like managing what data stays on the SSD, and what goes to the HDD or external drive. To avoid this, I've been considering combining the SSD and HDD into a fusion drive, but I imagine that would result in the HDD being constantly spinning when I'm running on battery. I'm concerned that the extra power drain and heat generated by the HDD spinning may have a noticeable negative effect on battery life. Is this a valid concern, or will the effect be marginal?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ehhh you should let OS X manage whether the drive is spun up or not instead of mounting and dismounting it. It's not going to spin perpetually. I would be very surprised if making a Fusion volume caused the drive to spin constantly-- the controllers in these things are smart enough to let the thing sleep.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why not just buy a 256GB SSD for $100 and then sell the 128GB one for $60 or whatever?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Splinter posted:

Backstory: I have a early 2011 15" MBP with a 128GB SSD. I added a 1TB 7200 RPM HDD in place of the DVD drive. Currently, I have terminal scripts in the dock to mount and unmount (which causes the drive to spin down) the HDD so that it's only spinning when I actually need data on it (which is usually only when I'm doing music production or photo editing at home connected to AC power).

Curious, without these scripts what happens, does the drive spin like mad? I'd bet there's some firmware updates for the drive that would help to reduce power consumption. I'd also wager it's possible that when you mount the drive, OSX indexes the drive like it's a freshly connected one, causing a bunch of drive thrashing, but if you leave it mounted it, it can index it and just leave it be until it's needed.

Also mounting and unmounting a drive seems like a really good way to corrupt a file when you mistakenly unmount it while it's writing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Splinter posted:

Almost nothing.

Here's some benchmarks pulled from Tom's hardware.

Lowest watt SSDs during HD video playback.

Lowest watt HDD during HD playback (which happens to be a 7200 rpm drive).

I didn't get the next ones because they were mostly 5400rpm and there's only 2 or 3 7200rpm notebook drives on the market anymore.

You're probably talking about a >1 watt difference or less between HDD and SSD. If you're adding an HDD in addition to an existing SSD then AT WORST it's going to be 2.5 watts. So maybe 10 minutes over the lifetime of the charge?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I set up a fusion drive in an early 2011 MBP and the battery and heat are pretty much the same as before. No change from what I can tell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I ran a 2.5" external USB HD on my 13" 2010 Pro one time (to copy files off of, of course) and smoke the battery in like 3 hours.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

fleshweasel posted:

Ehhh you should let OS X manage whether the drive is spun up or not instead of mounting and dismounting it. It's not going to spin perpetually. I would be very surprised if making a Fusion volume caused the drive to spin constantly-- the controllers in these things are smart enough to let the thing sleep.
It does eventually spin down, but it takes a while for this to happen whenever the computer is awoken from sleep. Even after it spins down naturally, it sometimes spins up again when it really doesn't need to (sometimes just opening up finder or an 'open' dialog can cause it to spin up).

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Curious, without these scripts what happens, does the drive spin like mad? I'd bet there's some firmware updates for the drive that would help to reduce power consumption. I'd also wager it's possible that when you mount the drive, OSX indexes the drive like it's a freshly connected one, causing a bunch of drive thrashing, but if you leave it mounted it, it can index it and just leave it be until it's needed.
It sounds like just spinning, rather than thrashing. I don't think I have indexing turned on for that drive.

Bob Morales posted:

Why not just buy a 256GB SSD for $100 and then sell the 128GB one for $60 or whatever?
I might end up going that route. I was planning on not putting anymore money into this laptop and instead saving for a rMBP w/ 1TB of flash whenever the Broadwell versions are released, but with the price of SSDs falling, swapping in a 256GB might be worth it just to avoid hassle in the meantime.

FCKGW posted:

Almost nothing.
Lowest watt HDD during HD playback (which happens to be a 7200 rpm drive).

You're probably talking about a >1 watt difference or less between HDD and SSD. If you're adding an HDD in addition to an existing SSD then AT WORST it's going to be 2.5 watts. So maybe 10 minutes over the lifetime of the charge?
Awesome. That's actually the exact 7200 rpm drive I installed.

1997 posted:

I set up a fusion drive in an early 2011 MBP and the battery and heat are pretty much the same as before. No change from what I can tell.
Good to know. Thanks!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

OSX seems pretty smart about never using drives when they aren't needed. I did the optibay SSD thing and never really use the old HD and my battery life improved noticeably since SSDs are so rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

OSX seems pretty smart about never using drives when they aren't needed. I did the optibay SSD thing and never really use the old HD and my battery life improved noticeably since SSDs are so rad.

Sometimes. But every time the OS throws up the standard Open sheet, every single drive in my Mac Pro spins up; every OS release I hope for a change, and it never comes. I may not care about battery life on my desktop Mac, but staring at the SPOD for a full 10 seconds before the sheet appears really sucks balls. Does this happen on your laptop?