Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
But Lemon comes right out with it at the end and explicitly writes off the entire concept as a bad idea because Kickstarter, PayPal buttons, and Flattr do it "better" (somehow). And then he says that he doesn't see how Patreon leads to a "good end" and that it's not a dependable primary income. The first point is just incoherent; what makes Patreon specifically the bad crowdfunding tool? As for the second, the idiots who are trying to quit their jobs to make webcomics aren't doing that because of some inherent flaw in Patreon; it's just that they're idiots.

I don't get it at all. They were level-headed about Kickstarter and (rightfully) attacked Indiegogo for its "flexible funding" bullshit, but for some reason they just decided to unload on Patreon over absolutely nothing.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^probably because this constant money stream more appeals to delusional idiots than a one time lump.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

You do realize you've made this same post like four times now, right? It's not like this is going to be the post that makes us realize that you're right and our actual reaction to the episode is wrong.

Also, I would tell you why this episode's mockery is different from all the other episodes' mockery tonally, but you probably won't actually listen to it this time either so I'm just going to save us all some time and not bother.

I legit don't see how this was any different than the gamer hip clip and the fix racism with stickers chick. Those people were plenty genuine asking for funding to fuel their stupid project in the exact same way.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
It's not like the F Plus guys+gals have some sort of anti-Patreon agenda or anything. Any of their perceived (legit or otherwise) derision towards Patreon is entirely based on the stuff being read. That's because The F Plus is a comedy podcast, and not an in-depth appraisal of internet practices.

If you're listening to them and thinking 'how dare they attack artists for wanting money for their work!', then maybe you should chillax a bit and just get a chuckle out of the child medusa poo poo comics they're commenting on. Or not, whatever.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 11, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

All of this "outrage" makes me wonder if this is what always happens somewhere on the Internet after an episode. Like some handful of people posting on some other forum who are into an inflation fetish hear an episode on inflation and go "oh my, they've gone too far this time! Normally I love the show but that was just too much!"

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

TetsuoTW posted:

All of this "outrage" makes me wonder if this is what always happens somewhere on the Internet after an episode. Like some handful of people posting on some other forum who are into an inflation fetish hear an episode on inflation and go "oh my, they've gone too far this time! Normally I love the show but that was just too much!"

The waifu episode tested my loyalty alright <:mad:>

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Chexoid posted:

The waifu episode tested my loyalty alright <:mad:>

How dare they speak poorly about debuchan69... ... ...!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
They attacked my Internet Home a couple years ago, but I'm not exactly in a position to speak ill of them for it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

^^probably because this constant money stream more appeals to delusional idiots than a one time lump.

I legit don't see how this was any different than the gamer hip clip and the fix racism with stickers chick. Those people were plenty genuine asking for funding to fuel their stupid project in the exact same way.

In Gamer's Hip Clip, they were making fun of Gamer's Hip Clip. In the "fix racism with stickers" bit, they were making fun of fixing racism with stickers. In the Patreon episode, the blog post was getting angry at Patreon, and the opening was getting angry at Patreon, and the first reading was mostly just getting mad at Patreon, and the closing was getting angry at Patreon. Like, can you honestly not hear how much more vitriol they had for Patreon than they had for Kickstarter? PUAs deserved that amount of vitriol. MRAs deserved that amount of vitriol. Patreon the concept does not deserve that amount of vitriol.

Meanwhile, the hour of the episode that wasn't them getting angry at the idea of Patreon was actually good, because it was just them laughing at dumb crowdfunding stuff like in the Kickstarter episode. So if you think I'm mad at the episode as a whole, I'm not. I'm mad at the twenty minutes that are madder than they have a good reason to be.

(Also I guess I'm a liar in that last post now, but I wasn't expecting you to flat out say that didn't see why we're mad at this but not the Kickstarter episode.)

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
someone really ought to come read these last couple terrible pages with enthusiasm.......

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'll go back and edit typos into my posts if it'll help.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

A bunch of new posts? Oh man, a new episode must have come...

Oh.

:smith:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Again you realize the thing they were saying they can't believe people expect money for was poo poo like a child looking medusa poo poo comic and other retarded poo poo. By this logic if you want them to go back to fanfics and all how dare you make fun of these people just writing what they like they're not hurting anyone writing what they like on a fanfic site or whatever.

edit: What I'm saying is if you believe doing a dumb thing earnestly absolves it from mockery I legit kinda don't understand what podcast you've listened to before this if you're suddenly bothered.

I was just giving my thoughts and didn't want to start the whole thing up again, but that wasn't really my point. I guess my point was that I didn't really find any of the stuff that they showcased this week dumb enough to justify an episode about them, mostly just the sort of things you'd expect from the internet, so that left making fun of Patreon as a concept or how much some of the people misunderstood how Patreon worked the main focus of the episode, and I didn't feel that either of those things were strong enough to carry an episode either, and when half of the crew just seemed to be mad instead of having fun and making jokes it lead to a really unsatisfying episode.

Thinking back, though, I also laughed at the dollars=people saved thing, so there were a couple funny moments, just not enough IMO.

And with that I think I'll go back to lurking in an effort to not keep this going any longer, and really hope that the next episode is a stronger one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

But Lemon comes right out with it at the end and explicitly writes off the entire concept as a bad idea because Kickstarter, PayPal buttons, and Flattr do it "better" (somehow). And then he says that he doesn't see how Patreon leads to a "good end" and that it's not a dependable primary income. The first point is just incoherent; what makes Patreon specifically the bad crowdfunding tool? As for the second, the idiots who are trying to quit their jobs to make webcomics aren't doing that because of some inherent flaw in Patreon; it's just that they're idiots.

I don't get it at all. They were level-headed about Kickstarter and (rightfully) attacked Indiegogo for its "flexible funding" bullshit, but for some reason they just decided to unload on Patreon over absolutely nothing.

Besides being reoccurring how is Patreon any better than a paypal link for donations?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Besides being reoccurring how is Patreon any better than a paypal link for donations?

Its recurring nature makes it more reliable for budgeting, because with few exceptions it does not vary substantially, whereas Paypal donations are all over the map.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

That's kind of a meaningless question; Patreon without regular donations wouldn't be Patreon. In any case, nobody said that it was better, but Lemon said that it was worse, and I just don't see what would make it worse. Yeah, it's obviously attractive to narcissists who don't want to bother with real jobs, but is that Patreon's fault? "GIVE ME MONEY" is a much older idea than Patreon, and there are people who abuse those other tools just as badly.

I am personally invested in this dispute - in the sense that I'd rather have my favorite hosts of my favorite podcast be inarguably in the right. But Lemon and Portaxx seem to have really dropped the ball here. (Which is not to say that they didn't read a truckload of funny poo poo for this episode.)

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 11, 2014

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I feel like the exasperation is less aimed at Patreon itself and more at the "Hey, fund my life" attitude the subjects being read represented. It's anger at people not really putting in the effort into a creative endeavour and expecting that they deserve to receive enough money to quit their job. And the recurring theme throughout all of these was that the creators wanted to just live off Patreon contributions in their ideal world.

It brings to mind this one furry webcomic that made the rounds in internet mock circles about a decade ago called "Perki Goth and Candi Raver". It was a terrible, furry, Zim-fed pile of crap with maybe thirty pages uploaded to it at the time and the authour decided he was obviously well established enough that he decided to start a donation drive on his site to get his readers (All two dozen of them) to donate enough money for him to quit his job and go to art school. He even had a big thermometer-styled chart showing how much he'd raised.

That's basically what so infuriating about the people featured in this episode: They're expecting a, quite frankly, ridiculous amount of money without having actually put in the work. There were a few exceptions featured in the episode of people who had actually made a lot of poo poo but for the most part most of the people in this episode didn't really have all that much to show. It comes back to the old "talk is cheap" adage and everyone on the internet wants to be an artist or a writer but no one wants to actually draw or write, they just want the success that comes with it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

This is a really stupid argument.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
I recently listened to this episode and I don't get why people didn't like it either, I thought it was solid.

I don't think it's very hard to understand why Portaxx, who busted her rear end to get a job in the animation field, would think people who are lazy, bad artists but want money for doing very little were shitheads. I'm sure she's dealt with plenty of people just like that. Also that Modest Medusa comic is literally about a small child eating feces, it's not okay by any means.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

watho posted:

This is a really stupid argument.
What this guy/girl/other said.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Forums Barber posted:

Also that Modest Medusa comic is literally about a small child eating feces, it's not okay by any means.

Wait, what? :catstare:

This seems like a huge detail to leave out of the episode. I mean I know it probably isn't that relevant to Patreon itself, but I figured there would at least be some mention of said horribleness.

Fake Edit: Modest Medusa, trained from birth to eat poo poo

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yeah, not sure how they could let such a detail just Float On by.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DemonTrigger posted:

Wait, what? :catstare:

This seems like a huge detail to leave out of the episode. I mean I know it probably isn't that relevant to Patreon itself, but I figured there would at least be some mention of said horribleness.

Fake Edit: Modest Medusa, trained from birth to eat poo poo

One of the most frequent jokes in the comic is the titular character mistaking sleeping in a toilet and mistaking poo poo for chocolate.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

One of the most frequent jokes in the comic is the titular character mistaking sleeping in a toilet and mistaking poo poo for chocolate.
At this point, I'm beginning to wonder why Yellow Jester didn't just put together a Modest Medusa document.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
A terrible webcomics episode could probably work actually.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Afraid of Audio posted:

A terrible webcomics episode could probably work actually.
They could two at least two episodes on Ctrl Alt Del :v:

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer

Benny the Snake posted:

They could two at least two episodes on Ctrl Alt Del :v:

I'd pay just to hear them read the news post from Loss

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
Yeah, honestly I think they were just lucky that they didn't go look up Modest Medusa. It was covered in the awful webcomics GBS thread and basically if you've seen more than one Modest Medusa comic, the coprophilia thing comes up. I'm almost impressed he had the ...sense? to leave it off his Patreon.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I downloaded a bunch of patrick82's youtube vids back when i heard the episode and just started looking through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0bbJfK4HA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNzeKuOs5dA

I worry if he did figure out how to reproduce and that's his kid in the video.

e: well poo poo, he has his own audio company where he puts birdseed on the connectors or something. really torn on if he's an elaborate joke.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 16, 2014

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

BKPR posted:

I downloaded a bunch of patrick82's youtube vids back when i heard the episode and just started looking through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0bbJfK4HA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNzeKuOs5dA

I worry if he did figure out how to reproduce and that's his kid in the video.

e: well poo poo, he has his own audio company where he puts birdseed on the connectors or something. really torn on if he's an elaborate joke.

I recall his audio cable website having pictures of nude models posing with comically large audio cables. Still no clue whether it's actually his site or not and whether he ever sells any of those cables.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
No new episode again. This sucks more than the last three pages of this thread.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I only listened to the Amy Lee episode this week.

I'm sorry, I failed you, ridiculists. I'm sorry.

(legitimately the best episode)

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Episode 147 is up, conspiracy theories and mind-altering substances abound.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Stog is on fire in this episode, in his own Stog-like way.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The intro with everybody taking about their mushroom experience was top-notch.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I cannot figure out the logistics of "the drug that made your girlfriend stop making you hug the cat," yet it is still one of the funniest things I have heard.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
New ep up. TVTropes!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

No loving way I've literally just relistened to the old troper tales episode.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

yessssssssssssss :getin:

tv tropes might be my favourite lovely internet community.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Hell yes. Finally a return to the font of terrible internet.

e: I would like to request you guys avoid the panning in this episode in the future. Having voices coming from different places in a voice only podcast is distracting, and can make it hard to understand if you're driving or somewhere noisy.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Oh god, they're going to make me punch something. The Troper Tales episode is the only one I can't relisten to, because it's just so douchey.