Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

After a lot of very cautious pulling, I now have a rocket launcher I can't use yet.

I'm guessing that was meant to be more of an endgame mission :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Brain In A Jar posted:

No, and get naked first, those repair bills add up quick.

The best way is to keep a bag of the QL0 gear you can buy in London. It's fast and keeps things from getting lost in your main inventory.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kessel posted:

After a lot of very cautious pulling, I now have a rocket launcher I can't use yet.

I'm guessing that was meant to be more of an endgame mission :v:

Sub weapon only have 1 level up to ql10 which costs 350 points. On your ability wheel there is a button to go to the sub weapons wheel. all sub weapons are ql10.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
What server is everyone on? Is there any kind of centralized goon presence anywhere?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

bear is driving! posted:

What server is everyone on? Is there any kind of centralized goon presence anywhere?

Dunno what server but the chat channel is #awful. There isn't really a centralized goon presence though, communicate through this thread or grab peoples steam name.

Im clause in game.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Exmond posted:

Dunno what server but the chat channel is #awful. There isn't really a centralized goon presence though, communicate through this thread or grab peoples steam name.

Im clause in game.

Noticed the OP and followup posts don't have a SA SECRET WORLD steam group
Would be cool if one existed.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

tuluk posted:

Noticed the OP and followup posts don't have a SA SECRET WORLD steam group
Would be cool if one existed.

There was one which is full of inactive goons (Everything is Goon). If someone started a new one I would add the information to the OP.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Let's brainstorm some amusing steam group names.

RIP Horse Head
DR Montag appreciation society

also: I finally did the innsmouth academy missions. Dr Montag is a occult Mr Spock, and Annabel Usher was aggressively scottish.
Sam Krieg was cool however, need to do the outlook motel missions and I'm done with the savage coast.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 14, 2014

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

tuluk posted:

Anything that relates to Klein has my glowing endorsement.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

tuluk posted:

The secret WAAAAGH

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

Anything that relates to Klein has my glowing endorsement.

Googling "Schwartz Mirage" gives me images of topless ladies. I don't know what to make of that.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Googling "Schwartz Mirage" gives me images of topless ladies. I don't know what to make of that.

My google search got me this forum thread, about how Klein is a racist SOB. I liked it, mostly because it ruined someones video game to real world immersion.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Played this a good while ago. Maybe a year? Maybe 2? Tokyo didn't exist yet.

Anyway, I'm not particularly interested in all the MMO stuff but I miss the damned excellent writing. If I wanted to pick up my old Lumie and run through new story content with all the puzzles and fun lore stuff, what would I want to see? Would I be able to handle it with a character that had completed one or two nightmare instances before quitting?

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Played this a good while ago. Maybe a year? Maybe 2? Tokyo didn't exist yet.

Anyway, I'm not particularly interested in all the MMO stuff but I miss the damned excellent writing. If I wanted to pick up my old Lumie and run through new story content with all the puzzles and fun lore stuff, what would I want to see? Would I be able to handle it with a character that had completed one or two nightmare instances before quitting?

I'm going to say yes you can. I myself just recently picked the game back up a month ago, and I stopped even before I did any of the elite dungeons. I finished the issues no problem.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fantastic. Is there some sort of rundown on where I can find newer investigations and issue stuff? I imagine I can just dig through a wiki if it comes to that but wasn't sure if anything was more streamlined. Also, I logged in last night and NOBODY was in Awful and the Cabal seemed to have had no logins since May. Is there some new place to talk or gather? I recognize there's a lot fewer people but I can't help but feel there's *some* kind of discussion going on.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

tuluk posted:

RIP Horse Head
DR Montag appreciation society

Old School Hip Hop

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Fantastic. Is there some sort of rundown on where I can find newer investigations and issue stuff? I imagine I can just dig through a wiki if it comes to that but wasn't sure if anything was more streamlined. Also, I logged in last night and NOBODY was in Awful and the Cabal seemed to have had no logins since May. Is there some new place to talk or gather? I recognize there's a lot fewer people but I can't help but feel there's *some* kind of discussion going on.

TSWDB is actually a great mission resource that is better than previous incarnations. You can look at missions by zone or issue and it will show which is what type as well as provide spoiler'd walk throughs should you need them.

If you're a Templar, there was a spinoff of the more active people though that similarly not very active.

The problem is that once you have everything there's no reason to play anymore, aside from peeping issues - but don't get me wrong, getting everything is pretty entertaining.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Marx posted:

TSWDB is actually a great mission resource that is better than previous incarnations. You can look at missions by zone or issue and it will show which is what type as well as provide spoiler'd walk throughs should you need them.

I still use unfair.co as my first resource -- their mission walk-throughs and help videos are more thorough. But TSWDB is coming on fast. :thumbsup:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Last Train to Cairo is an amazing mission let down by some of the shoddiest jumping mechanics I've seen in a video game.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Kessel posted:

The Last Train to Cairo is an amazing mission let down by some of the shoddiest jumping mechanics I've seen in a video game.

Boy howdy, are you in for a surprise in Tokyo!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Marx posted:

If you're a Templar, there was a spinoff of the more active people though that similarly not very active.

The problem is that once you have everything there's no reason to play anymore, aside from peeping issues - but don't get me wrong, getting everything is pretty entertaining.

TSWDB drives me up the wall because they don't put tooltips on the abilities in their builds section.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 20, 2014

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Kessel posted:

Cost of Magic

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brain In A Jar posted:

Cost of Magic

I finally went back and finished that stupid mission recently. After a couple of years and at least one new computer, it was a lot easier this time! :downs:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

Cost of Magic

Afraid to look this up now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I never had issues with the Cost of Magic jumping puzzle, but gently caress Last Train to Cairo's.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

getting all the lore from korea and new york frustrated me because of the lovely jumping controls.
I can safely say that I'm avoiding the Cost of Magic forever now, and thanks for letting me know it sucks bad.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Cost of Magic sucks at first, and always if you do it "properly," but have someone teach you to cheese it quickly and it's the best bang-for-the-buck ratio of effort to XP/AP/SP in the game.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Brain In A Jar posted:

Cost of Magic
I don't think I've ever sworn so much at a game.

guppy posted:

Cost of Magic sucks at first, and always if you do it "properly," but have someone teach you to cheese it quickly and it's the best bang-for-the-buck ratio of effort to XP/AP/SP in the game.
Do tell.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's a little hard to explain, since CoM has several segments, but I'll try.

1. Vampire scaffolding:

Stack health, turn on sprint, and learn the route. gently caress hiding, you sprint the entire way and keep your distance so you dont get knocked off by vamps. Jump over the mines; if you got sprint knocked off, you can catch a breather at the end of the big mined area as most enemies will give up by then; plink at any that are still chasing, but the mines will do most of the work. (If you still have your sprint you don't have to stop, you can just keep going.) The last bit before the ladder is the hardest because there are both vamps and mines. Once you're on the ladder you're golden as long as you have enough health to survive the things shooting at you. After the ladder, stop and let your health come back, you're safe. Turn sprint back on and dash for the other ladder, this part is easy. Get the MacGuffin from the box on top, and you can just run off forward toward the next objective.

Doing part 1 in a group: Only one person has to make it. We usually have everyone try, and as long as one of you succeeds it's fine. If you've fallen, have the person who made it to the top wait to open the box until you're in the marked area on the map on the ground. TSW doesn't care about height, as long as you're in the same 2D space you'll get credit.

2. Lake o' Death:

This one is slightly tricky because probably you are going to die. Accept this and you will be happier. The lake hurts you. A LOT. Like, a couple ticks and you will die. But gently caress going around the lake, just run to it from the last objective.

It is possible to survive the trip to the center island by selecting exactly the right stepping-off point, having lots of health gear on, rocket jumping, and rolling at the end. (If you do this, watch out for the named mob on the island, he will gently caress you up.) If you die, which is likely, don't revive at the anima well -- ghost run back, and your corpse is probably enough to rez on the island and grab the second objective. (As before, watch out for the named mob when rezzing.) Once you have that you will receive a buff that makes the water not hurt you anymore and you can run to the next objective. Anything chasing you will give up by the time you get to the top of the hill.

Doing part 2 in a group: Once one person gets the item and the buff, everyone has them. If you gently caress it up just let someone else get it and moonwalk across the lake to the next objective.

3. Gypsy Mario 64:

This is the hardest bit because there is no help for it but to do it right. I do have some advice.

Activate every single rune on the ground, even if someone in front of you just did it. You do not want to make it 90% of the way there and then fall because the platforms disappeared. It will not make them temporarily disappear or anything, you won't gently caress anyone else up by doing this.

Keep sprint on, always. Each time you land, back up a tiny bit and make a sprinting jump to the next platform. Go quickly but don't rush, if that makes any sense -- you will gain no advantage by psyching yourself up for each jump, don't dawdle, but you do have time to line up the next jump and all, the timer isn't that fast. Eventually you will get into the groove and do it quickly.

Doing part 3 in a group: This is tricky because of how advancing the quest objective works. When you get to the top after the main run, you'll have two more platforms to cross. But crossing them will advance to the next objective, which is actually picking up the item, and if you pick up the item while someone else hasn't gotten credit for crossing, they won't get credit and will have to do it themselves, which is a big problem if you have, say, early 2013 Platbeard in your group. You can get credit for both of these on the ground, but you have to be right around the final pillar. So if you make it to the top, and you have someone else trying to get up, wait and see if they make it before crossing. If they fall, they can stand around the pillar. It is not impossible to gently caress up that crossing, but usually people who made it up the main drag don't. Once they've crossed they can immediately pick up the herbs or whatever it is up there and the person on the ground will get credit for both.

Part 4: Bear Mountain

This is easy if you take your time, or if you know it really well. You should still have all your health on, because you don't really fight anything for this mission. Jump over spikes and mines and stuff. You can rocket jump through mines safely -- they'll explode, but you'll be out of the way -- but be careful. Once you get through all those traps watch out for the spike pits -- fall in and you're dead. Also watch out for the giant golems that will murder you. If they aggro you are probably dead. The item is on the big bear corpse to the right behind a tree. There is a golem that paths through that area, so don't dawdle.

Doing part 4 in a group: You can kill Mayushii by rocket jumping through mines that he is jumping over individually. Other people in your group can get credit for the objective or whatever if they are nearby, but not if they are at the bottom. Not really a big deal, this part isn't very hard.

Part 5: Ritual

You can't start the ritual until you've read the ritual page. You will bleed on the last step so keep that health on, I think it is enough to kill you if you're at 1970 HP. I cannot remember the order for sure, I don't even remember with 100% certainty what all the items are. I think it's bowl, left skin, heart, right skin, herbs, knife? Correct me please, I can't remember. If you get it wrong the golem will kill you. I think if you realize you gently caress it up you can just wait for it to time out instead of finishing it wrong and the golem won't aggro. If you gently caress it up there is a cooldown before you can try again.

Doing part 5 in a group: Don't start the ritual until everyone has read their ritual page -- you don't get credit if you weren't on the "Start the ritual" step before they start. Consider letting some other sucker do the ritual so they die if they gently caress it up instead of you.

Other veterans, please correct any mistakes, it has been a long time since I've done this. New people, I or any of the veterans can help you with this. There is also a series of several quests nearby that make for a great XP circuit, starting with CoM and moving into the next area. (The next one is literally to read a note by the entrance to the next zone, then walk through and talk to a dude nearby.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Other veterans, please correct any mistakes, it has been a long time since I've done this. New people, I or any of the veterans can help you with this. There is also a series of several quests nearby that make for a great XP circuit, starting with CoM and moving into the next area. (The next one is literally to read a note by the entrance to the next zone, then walk through and talk to a dude nearby.)

The best xp route is doing every mission in Transylvania every three days. Do this to be pro like me :suicide:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

Len posted:

The best xp route is doing every mission in Transylvania every three days. Do this to be pro like me :suicide:

I noticed you toppled me for most xp in the cabal, but I still got 10k paduuri. :smug:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

guppy posted:

I made a video of this at some point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2FEZz_dSgc

It's also possible to speedrun a sabotage mission in Carpathian Fangs, can't find any videos of it, though.

**heh, I found when Drinkfist brought the Filth to Agartha. I think this was two or three months after launch? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc4xysDNZeM

Cheston fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 20, 2014

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry
Cost of magic is hands down the best quest in the game when done the proper way like in Cheston's video.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

When I get to that point can I just ask one of you guys to carry me through it, because gently caress that.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kessel posted:

When I get to that point can I just ask one of you guys to carry me through it, because gently caress that.
Yes. It's actually quite easy since you basically don't fight anything the whole time (although I usually shoot the ghouls on the lake). You in particular are going to have problems with the jumping part though because you're as used to GW2 as I am and jumping in TSW is janky as poo poo.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Yes. It's actually quite easy since you basically don't fight anything the whole time (although I usually shoot the ghouls on the lake). You in particular are going to have problems with the jumping part though because you're as used to GW2 as I am and jumping in TSW is janky as poo poo.

Most modern 3D game engines allow the player to jump a fraction of a second after their hitbox leaves the edge. The reason for this is that it's actually quite difficult to judge visually exactly when your character is stepping off an edge in a 3D game, and so it just makes things smoother all around if a press on the jump key right after still registers as a jump.

I'm pretty sure TSW's Dreamworld engine doesn't do this, or if it does that the window is too tight. At any rate, the jumping really is janky and building a mission around it is just cruel.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kessel posted:

Most modern 3D game engines allow the player to jump a fraction of a second after their hitbox leaves the edge. The reason for this is that it's actually quite difficult to judge visually exactly when your character is stepping off an edge in a 3D game, and so it just makes things smoother all around if a press on the jump key right after still registers as a jump.

I'm pretty sure TSW's Dreamworld engine doesn't do this, or if it does that the window is too tight. At any rate, the jumping really is janky and building a mission around it is just cruel.
Seriously, wait till you try it with our latency :v:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Mercurius posted:

Seriously, wait till you try it with our latency :v:

Your first time through Cost of Magic should be magical, but is actually painful, embarrassing, and you bleed at the end. You're welcome to draw any parallels you want from that.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

Your first time through Cost of Magic should be magical, but is actually painful, embarrassing, and you bleed at the end. You're welcome to draw any parallels you want from that.

But will it be my schwartz mirage in the desert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Kessel posted:

Yes, we can definitely do that. You should take the opportunity to learn at the same time though.

edit:

Cheston posted:

I made a video of this at some point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2FEZz_dSgc

It's also possible to speedrun a sabotage mission in Carpathian Fangs, can't find any videos of it, though.

**heh, I found when Drinkfist brought the Filth to Agartha. I think this was two or three months after launch? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc4xysDNZeM

I like this video, especially the soundtrack and the annotations. Guess I had the order backwards for the ritual. SORRY! Why do you go around the long way on the vamp platforms before the first ladder? Are the mines on that route easier to avoid?

Incidentally, IIRC, the bear traps on top by the bear corpse don't kill you directly, but they do make you bleed and knock off sprint, plus they immobilize you for a few seconds (longer if you gently caress up releasing them) -- and that can be indirectly fatal if there's a golem headed your way in the near future.

guppy fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread