Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The General
Mar 4, 2007

Leb posted:

So wait, is the CKII announcement over? What the hell did we actually get?

A story driven narrative, evolving around events of Charlemagne. Also you can customize your kingdoms somehow. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Anybody feel like actually summarizing what was announced, or is everyone too busy trying to be the first to post about how uninterested they are?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So does pushing it back a hundred years let me play Druids in Britain yet

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rincewind posted:

Anybody feel like actually summarizing what was announced, or is everyone too busy trying to be the first to post about how uninterested they are?

That is it literally.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Rincewind posted:

Believe it or not, you've just read the summary on the previous page. That's all there is.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rumda posted:

:downswords: Charlemagne :downswords:

Also Harun Al-Rashid and Ragnar Lodbrok since that fits the timing.

Still it sounds like Paradox either seems not to get that people like the interpersonal stuff/color or they are intentionally leaving that to the modders.

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Rincewind posted:

Nobodies joking - the Ckii announcement was literally

-100 extra years
-CHARLEMAGNE
-customisable kingdoms (with no explanation how this works)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rincewind posted:

They also showed a 30second clip that showed absolutely nothing at all.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

What does customisable kingdoms mean? I imagine there's more to it than "rename a kingdom and pick where it starts" but I have no idea what else it could involve.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Rumda posted:

That is it literally.

Is there really not even a "MAJOR patchnotes" blurb or something? I can't find any details beyond the tiny bit they covered in the stream.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Leb posted:

Is there really not even a "MAJOR patchnotes" blurb or something? I can't find any details beyond the tiny bit they covered in the stream.

Nope that's all there is.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

The General posted:

Le Big Blue Blob

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Chalks posted:

What does customisable kingdoms mean?

That's the million-dollar question.

If it means something like "King and empire level titles get unique "traits" like characters do", that would be loving cool.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Fuligin posted:

"King of the perennial holly-groves, the riven sandstone: overlord of the M5: architect of the historic rampart and ditch, the citadel at Tamworth, the summer hermitage in Holy Cross: guardian of the Welsh Bridge and the Iron Bridge: contractor to the desirable new estates: saltmaster: moneychanger: commissioner for oaths: martyrologist: the friend of Charlemagne."

I really like this. Think there's scope for a mod about Britain in the same vein as the post-apoc US one?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The press conference just seemed to be there to say "oh yeah, this is a thing", so I guess we'll get some actual information in the next couple of days.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

The General posted:

Uh, it showed us the magnificent SAXON and VISIGOTHIC cultures

e; and yeah, I'm sure we'll get real information on their forums soon.

Toningly
Sep 28, 2006
I'm going to guess that customizable kingdoms means you can make a titular kingdom when you have a couple of duchies

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

As it stands with the information we have right now, I'm not that impressed. I'm quite happy with the lay of the land in CK2 right now, I just want more depth to what we already have rather than just continually expanding the map and the timeline.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DStecks posted:

Hey, let's try to figure out ways this might be good so that we can have our hopes properly raised and dashed later. Here's my go.

"Customizable kingdoms" means that kingdoms and empires can now have their own unique forms of laws and quirks. Remember how the Byzantine Empire can revoke ducal titles for free because it's the Byzantine Empire? Like that, but expanded. A system of different relationships between vassals and lieges beyond simply how many men they're supposed to contribute, much like our current succession laws, will be put into place. You can have anything from the organized governments of the Byzantine Empire where rulers are imperially-appointed governors, more traditional feudal relations like the French kingdoms, to the decentralized and barely-contained chaos of the Holy Roman Empire. The great blobs are no longer distinguished solely by their name, color, religion and dynasty - they now fundamentally differ in how they operate internally.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DStecks posted:

My completely uneducated guess would be that you aren't reliant on historical kingdoms anymore - perhaps once you have enough land/de jure duchies, you can declare yourself King. I can't see this being worth $20.

Really if they were going to turn back the clock, turn it back to :redhammer:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
-Fixed special unit bug.
-Introduced new bug where all special units now appear as rebel light infantry.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'd be stunned if that's really all they've got at $20, I doubt that's it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Tomn posted:

Hey, let's try to figure out ways this might be good so that we can have our hopes properly raised and dashed later. Here's my go.

"Customizable kingdoms" means that kingdoms and empires can now have their own unique forms of laws and quirks. Remember how the Byzantine Empire can revoke ducal titles for free because it's the Byzantine Empire? Like that, but expanded. A system of different relationships between vassals and lieges beyond simply how many men they're supposed to contribute, much like our current succession laws, will be put into place. You can have anything from the organized governments of the Byzantine Empire where rulers are imperially-appointed governors, more traditional feudal relations like the French kingdoms, to the decentralized and barely-contained chaos of the Holy Roman Empire. The great blobs are no longer distinguished solely by their name, color, religion and dynasty - they now fundamentally differ in how they operate internally.

Yeah, I'm just going to assume it means custom names, flags, and colors.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tomn posted:

I hope that's the case and they just through Charlemagne over the top to market it but I'm not hopeful.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

unwantedplatypus posted:

You're probably right. :negative:

I just want more internal politics, is that so much to ask?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

unwantedplatypus posted:

We have that already though.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Tomn posted:

You're probably right. :negative:

I just want more internal politics, is that so much to ask?

Cynicism, don't say anyone was ever disappointed by it.

edit: ^^^ I forgot about that DLC. Well then maybe there is something substantial.

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 14, 2014

Frohman
Aug 14, 2014

Sam. posted:

The beta is out!

After the End 0.1
0.1.1 patch (fixes faction and religion bugs)
If you're seeing Caribbean/Tuskegean characters without faces, get the African Portraits DLC or delete interface/portraits_african.gfx.

Thanks to Ofaloaf and Klonself for all their hard work.

Question for Sam or anyone else involved in "After The End" mod.

My name is Chris Livingston, and I write a weekly mod column for PC Gamer. I'd like to feature the beta of this mod for my column this weekend.

I wouldn't normally ask first, but I wanted to check with someone in this instance since:

a) The dropbox has apparently been overwhelmed by traffic
b) I haven't seen this beta posted elsewhere, like in the Steam workshop, moddb, or the Paradox forums, so I'm not sure if you want the general public playing it yet

I'd have PM'd someone if I saw a way to do that, but I don't. Anyway, please let me know! I've covered a bunch of different full-conversion CKII mods and this one looks really interesting.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Leb posted:

Yeah, they said "and lots of neat stuff for free to everyone like always" but didn't elaborate at all.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, they said "and lots of neat stuff for free to everyone like always" but didn't elaborate at all.

Well, I'm not even mad, but I think it's time to wrap up the CKII DLC after this and go into full preproduction on CKIII.

And also Rome II, obviously.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Custard Kingdom.

i think there might be some hilarity to this

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leb posted:

Well, I'm not even mad, but I think it's time to wrap up the CKII DLC after this and go into full preproduction on CKIII.

And also Rome II, obviously.

victoria III and rome II, preferably in that order yes

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tomn posted:

This would be incredible. It also seems like it would possibly justify a $20 price tag in a way the rest of the features don't, so I'm going to pin my hopes to the existence of something akin to it.

I'm also very curious about how a more narratively based Charlemagne campaign could work without handing the player event troops and free casus belli like crazy, as that would be pretty boring. Seems like it might have plenty of applicability for modders at least.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fuligin posted:

This would be incredible. It also seems like it would possibly justify a $20 price tag in a way the rest of the features don't, so I'm going to pin my hopes to the existence of something akin to it.

I'm also very curious about how a more narratively based Charlemagne campaign could work without handing the player event troops and free casus belli like crazy, as that would be pretty boring. Seems like it might have plenty of applicability for modders at least.

Charlemagne went to war every campaign season for over 30 successive years. The truce mechanic being 10 years would utterly ruin the rapid expansion he had.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm hype based solely on the price point alone, Paradox hasn't missed on a price point yet. So if they feel it's worth 20 bucks it's probably worth 20.

Eagerly awaiting more info, though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, as usual we're not going to have any idea of the real scope of things until we see the dev diaries.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So I punched the new start year into one of those historical map sites to see what kind of map setup we can expect, and, uhhhhhhh...
http://geacron.com/home-en/?v=m&lan...d=GeaCron549629

They're really going to have to get creative to balance the Abbasids.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Toningly posted:

I'm going to guess that customizable kingdoms means you can make a titular kingdom when you have a couple of duchies

I want customizable empires so I can have my Celtic Empire dammit :mad:

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

More internal politics equals lots of programming, tweaking and time. How about we let you rename your empire instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So I punched the new start year into one of those historical map sites to see what kind of map setup we can expect, and, uhhhhhhh...
http://geacron.com/home-en/?v=m&lan...d=GeaCron549629

They're really going to have to get creative to balance the Abbasids.

Welp, this site is my new favorite way to waste time.

• Locked thread