Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

The lengths people will go to avoid you as an invader are crazy. I had one guy in the aerie go to that little island you have to drop to on the zipline and chameleon himself. Right now, in the forest someone ran behind the King's Gate which I can't open or get to the other side of. Why???

This rules actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Bigass Moth posted:

The lengths people will go to avoid you as an invader are crazy. I had one guy in the aerie go to that little island you have to drop to on the zipline and chameleon himself. Right now, in the forest someone ran behind the King's Gate which I can't open or get to the other side of. Why???

He's standing behind the locked door doing the curved dragon sword special attack over and over.

Haha hit him with a firebomb...the battle goes on...

Someone please repost the video where the guy equips the royal soldier clothes and hides from invaders.

Also, there are people who just don't want to PvP. They want to kill monsters and bad guys and be done with it without jerks interfering. Don't blame them because they don't want to give you a chance to kill them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
People are online because they want jolly cooperation, not the PvP.

Besides, loving with invaders is the best form of PvP. gently caress killing you, I'm gonna make your day weirder.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I stayed until the timer ran out. It was kind of funny, but so weird because you're never far from a bonfire so dying to an invader isn't a big deal, especially in the newbie areas.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ice Fist posted:

Also, there are people who just don't want to PvP. They want to kill monsters and bad guys and be done with it without jerks interfering. Don't blame them because they don't want to give you a chance to kill them.

I know this to be true, and it's why I super duper wish there was an item or a covenant or something that would let you invade people without the game broadcasting that you were an invader. Like that'd make winning 100 BoB duels worth the effort.

Or, it'd be neat if they tried to adopt a positive reinforcement model that gave people an actual reason to want to stand and fight invaders rather than give them literally no reason to not just run directly back to the closest bonfire.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Someone please repost the video where the guy equips the royal soldier clothes and hides from invaders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecS0yKnNLA This one? Such a fun video.

I love messing with invaders, especially repeat invaders by just dicking around in chameleon form. Prop hunting!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wouldn't the indavee's health show up above their head?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Here's a great troll video. The last one is just evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IG9afBRnzo

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Stokes posted:

I'm never invaded by, or invade, people like this. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

I stayed until the timer ran out. It was kind of funny, but so weird because you're never far from a bonfire so dying to an invader isn't a big deal, especially in the newbie areas.

Evidently they disagree. All's fair in invasions (except hacking, but what can you do), you're there to be a dick to them so it's well within their rights to do it to you. Hide and seek must be more fun than them just disconnecting or something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pretty much. You waste my human effigies, I waste your time!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna stream more of my champion covenant Armstrong run in a few mins.

http://hitbox.tv/LotusGramarye

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Yeah I'm just getting sick of invading some guy in full havels who immedately runs to hide and when I find him he spams CSS and Dark Orb until I either die or manage a lucky lag kill.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Flytrap posted:

People are online because they want jolly cooperation, not the PvP.

Besides, loving with invaders is the best form of PvP. gently caress killing you, I'm gonna make your day weirder.

I usually just throw myself off a cliff. I'd like PvP more if I could get the hang of the lag, but I've never been able to work with it. PvP should/could be a lot of fun, but the way it's presented makes it a drag for me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I am under no obligation to be nice to people coming into my game with the intent of loving me over. Invaders are a pain in the loving rear end if you're a pure caster, especially in NG+. I spent a good 5+ minutes doing some Benny Hill poo poo with a guy in No Man's Wharf only for him to immediately kill me. Then apparently the server was completely empty because we invaded each other back and forth another three times on top of that and I got summarily killed every time, as invader and invadee.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cainer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecS0yKnNLA This one? Such a fun video.

I love messing with invaders, especially repeat invaders by just dicking around in chameleon form. Prop hunting!

This video is easily one of the best videos of this game.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Yeah I'm just getting sick of invading some guy in full havels who immedately runs to hide and when I find him he spams CSS and Dark Orb until I either die or manage a lucky lag kill.

As an invader you're literally there to poo poo up someone's experience. You have the advantage of (probably) having a build and weapons made for killing other players, and under normal circumstances you don't have to deal with jerk monsters. Jerk monsters that for a lot of bad players like me, are challenging without having an invader in the mix. If they decide to not engage you in honorabu duelz, they're completely justified in being cheesy and spending their time to waste yours. Since, in your best case, that'd be what you're doing to them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, if you're an invader I really just don't have time for your poo poo. I get why people like doing it, but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion you're going to win and I can't be bothered to try and fight you legit with all the odds stacked against me. I'd rather just ditch off a cliff or disconnect. Any progress I've made is forfeit and the last thing I want to do is waste any more effort on a lost cause. Pvp as a duel would be okay because there's no outside monsters to tilt the balance and everyone involved is prepared and built properly - I still don't like it for the laggy poo poo but it's better than invasions, which are pretty much just "haha, you wanted to play the pve game, gently caress you scrub."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stokes posted:

Siegmeyer dance party is inspired.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I love getting invaded, even moreso if the invader is a complete dirty rear end in a top hat, uses the most boring OP gear he has, hides behind mobs and shoots arrows, etc. E-honour is the worst thing about online gaming.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'll respect 'e-honour' if they've clearly gotten the drop on me but hop backwards and do a bow/whatever, but otherwise it's fair game. I've nothing against disguising as a brazier and shooting magic into someone's back, so it's not very surprising when the same is done back.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I do waves and emotes not out of e-honor or anything but because it's fun to communicate in that limited form. I also throw tons of carvings and hold off on fighting if the other guy starts chucking them nonstop too. I could just go up and stab them while they're doing it but where's the fun in that? :v:

I only really bow if I'm in the middle of a really good fight and get a chance to though.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Gregen posted:

As an invader you're literally there to poo poo up someone's experience. You have the advantage of (probably) having a build and weapons made for killing other players, and under normal circumstances you don't have to deal with jerk monsters. Jerk monsters that for a lot of bad players like me, are challenging without having an invader in the mix. If they decide to not engage you in honorabu duelz, they're completely justified in being cheesy and spending their time to waste yours. Since, in your best case, that'd be what you're doing to them.

There's no right or wrong way to play the game, if you want to turtle your way through singleplayer as a smelterhavel spammming dark orb and hiding behind havel shield it's your call. I guess an invader should expect to see something like that since it's the safest way to play the game. If I wanted honorable duels I'd do the dragon covenant on the bridge, but wasting cracked orbs time after time getting beaten down by havelmages gets old quick.

Sorry if this comes off as whining, not my intention, but I am not exaggerating when I say I invaded roughly 50 times today and well over half of the people were wearing full havels with either the smelter or grym helmet and spamming magic. I guess I could change my style to cheese them but that's not how I personally want to play, so I suck up the losses and move on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bigass Moth posted:

There's no right or wrong way to play the game, if you want to turtle your way through singleplayer as a smelterhavel spammming dark orb and hiding behind havel shield it's your call. I guess an invader should expect to see something like that since it's the safest way to play the game. If I wanted honorable duels I'd do the dragon covenant on the bridge, but wasting cracked orbs time after time getting beaten down by havelmages gets old quick.

Sorry if this comes off as whining, not my intention, but I am not exaggerating when I say I invaded roughly 50 times today and well over half of the people were wearing full havels with either the smelter or grym helmet and spamming magic. I guess I could change my style to cheese them but that's not how I personally want to play, so I suck up the losses and move on.

So if you don't want to fight in even duels and you don't want to fight people who are uparmored, you're saying you want to invade people who have no chance of beating you.

You see why it's hard to be sympathetic here, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's like 90% of red phantoms right there.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Inspector_666 posted:

So if you don't want to fight in even duels and you don't want to fight people who are uparmored, you're saying you want to invade people who have no chance of beating you.

You see why it's hard to be sympathetic here, right?

I didn't say that at all though. It's frustrating to invade people who only use the best gear possible, it gets really samey quickly. No problem with their decision to do so.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I've found the most fun kind of invasions are invading as blue cops because the opponent has a clue what he's doing. Sadly blue invasions are a pain to do. Red invasions only get fun when the white phantom armies dont camp next to the host and go after me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bigass Moth posted:

I didn't say that at all though. It's frustrating to invade people who only use the best gear possible, it gets really samey quickly. No problem with their decision to do so.

You're complaining that people aren't bringing knives to a gunfight.

I need to rewatch The Untouchables.

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 14, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

oldpainless posted:

You're complaining that people aren't bringing knives to a gunfight.

I don't think that's what he's complaining about. He just wants more evenly matched fights without resorting to wearing jester/havel himself.

I don't mind it myself that much, there are not many good players that wear whatever the best equipment at the time is.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 14, 2014

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People are gonna try to win and wearing the best gear is what many will do whether or not its boring to an invader who has seen the same thing 10 times already.

If I misread or misunderstood something, then my mistake.

e: ah ok I get it now.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Stokes posted:

That last thing is delicious. It's just so unlikely, but the stars aligned perfectly.

Also, I've legitimately never seen a Havelyn in all my invading, bell defending, Iron Bridge fight clubbing, and invaded-being. I did see a guy with a crossbow that shot infinite-damage insta-toxin rounds, but that just happened the one time.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

argondamn posted:

I don't think that's what he's complaining about. He just wants more evenly matched fights without resorting to wearing jester/havel himself.

I don't mind it myself that much, there are not many good players that wear whatever the best equipment at the time is.

Yes, I could wear full havels or jester or whatever and spam CSS and hexes and win 90% of fights but where's the fun in that? If someone else wants to do that, especially against an invader, then fine by me but I get bored wasting orbs fighting those guys every other invasion.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Minority Deport posted:

That last thing is delicious. It's just so unlikely, but the stars aligned perfectly.

Also, I've legitimately never seen a Havelyn in all my invading, bell defending, Iron Bridge fight clubbing, and invaded-being. I did see a guy with a crossbow that shot infinite-damage insta-toxin rounds, but that just happened the one time.

Havelyn is a dead build, avelyns were nerfed so nobody uses it anymore, just like the recently extinct Helixodons.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MooCowlian posted:

Yeah, if you're an invader I really just don't have time for your poo poo. I get why people like doing it, but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion you're going to win and I can't be bothered to try and fight you legit with all the odds stacked against me. I'd rather just ditch off a cliff or disconnect. Any progress I've made is forfeit and the last thing I want to do is waste any more effort on a lost cause. Pvp as a duel would be okay because there's no outside monsters to tilt the balance and everyone involved is prepared and built properly - I still don't like it for the laggy poo poo but it's better than invasions, which are pretty much just "haha, you wanted to play the pve game, gently caress you scrub."

Man I understand that you really feel this way, but that's like completely anathema to what the Souls experience is all about. What's the draw from the game for you if you're so averse to risk? I can't imagine that the story is super compelling and you're just in love with the narrative twists and turns.

Seriously, if I found some particular mechanic of the game so frustrating that I felt like intentionally killing my own dude was better than dealing with said mechanic, I'd probably just stop playing that game.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

homeless poster posted:

Man I understand that you really feel this way, but that's like completely anathema to what the Souls experience is all about. What's the draw from the game for you if you're so averse to risk? I can't imagine that the story is super compelling and you're just in love with the narrative twists and turns.

Seriously, if I found some particular mechanic of the game so frustrating that I felt like intentionally killing my own dude was better than dealing with said mechanic, I'd probably just stop playing that game.

Because it's one tiny mechanic that rarely actually pops up. Invasions aren't like half the game, it's like a sixth at best. Someone's irritation with one small part of the game isn't going to stop them from enjoying the rest of it. It's like asking 'you don't like the vs mode in Double Dragon? Why do you even play the game?'

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 15, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

argondamn posted:

Havelyn is a dead build, avelyns were nerfed so nobody uses it anymore, just like the recently extinct Helixodons.

All they need to do is re-nerf scimitar parries and things will probably be alright.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Why did they un-nerf the Monastery Scimitar? Is that really how it's supposed to be?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

Why did they un-nerf the Monastery Scimitar? Is that really how it's supposed to be?

Probably. It is one of the hardest items to farm and is otherwise kinda poo poo as a weapon.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Genocyber posted:

Probably. It is one of the hardest items to farm and is otherwise kinda poo poo as a weapon.

I got one the very first time I killed that phantom so clearly it's not rare. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I mean sometimes I'll invade people but I never ever attack someone who is already occupied with PvE enemies because that is just a really cheap and lazy way to win. I've yet to have an invader extend me the same courtesy. I do sometimes try to ambush invasion targets with Chameleon though.

Blue Orbs are pretty great though because you're always invading someone who has "opted in" to surprise PvP combat as opposed to harassing some poor newbie who isn't minmaxing their poo poo but just wants to get through the game at their own pace.