Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If you're interested, VaatiVidya's speculation vids on the various plot points and characters are a pretty good watch if only to see how it might have been if Dark Soul's lore wasn't as opaque and intentionally vague. They're well narrated and cut, so there's that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

lordfrikk posted:

If you're interested, VaatiVidya's speculation vids on the various plot points and characters are a pretty good watch if only to see how it might have been if Dark Soul's lore wasn't as opaque and intentionally vague. They're well narrated and cut, so there's that, too.

I love that guy, I've watched a solid 70% of his videos and he actually saved me during the (Dark Souls 2 boss spoiler) Old Dragonslayer fight when I summoned him. :allears:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Alright, so I am wondering how shields work. I know that a lot of them block less than 100% of the damage dealt to them. So, if I'm using the Eagle Shield (I think it's 95% protection) and I absorb a 100-point attack, I'll still get 5 damage from blocking the attack. Easy. However, while I was fighting some of the human NPCs in the Darkroot area, I noticed that the "monk" character wasn't doing any damage to me, even though I was blocking his mace with the Eagle Shield. I assume this has something to do with weapon damage types, but I'm not certain. Any ideas?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Where's the place to go in the depths? I found a fog gate but didn't go through it because I hadn't explored everywhere. Then I ran into a big guy in a robe who was too tall to see, he shot at me with something. Then there were some things with big eyes that didn't do much, and some rats. Then I got invaded and Alt-F4ed. No idea where I ended was because I fell through a chute.

edit: also I think it's pretty cheap how you need the master key to unlock the bonfire.

pisshead fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 13, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Have you found the bonfire and opened another door at the top of a long staircase? If so then you just go down that staircase from the bonfire, and there's a doorway on the right of the large room you arrive in that takes you to the boss. If you killed the robe dude then you're good to go (he buffs the boss if you don't kill him first).

That invader was probably an NPC (knight kirk) who always appears there if you're human. You shouldn't have alt-f4ed, he can drop unique gear.

You don't need the master key to open the bonfire, but it lets you get there earlier.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Have you found the bonfire and opened another door at the top of a long staircase? If so then you just go down that staircase from the bonfire, and there's a doorway on the right of the large room you arrive in that takes you to the boss. If you killed the robe dude then you're good to go (he buffs the boss if you don't kill him first).

That invader was probably an NPC (knight kirk) who always appears there if you're human. You shouldn't have alt-f4ed, he can drop unique gear.

You don't need the master key to open the bonfire, but it lets you get there earlier.

It's still pretty cheap, I haven't found the key yet and if I died it's a long way back from the firelink shrine. I have found the bonfire, but I don't know about a door at the top of a long staircase. I got to where the invader is (near a pack of rats), which is where I alt+f4ed> I didn't kill the robe dude I just ran away. This whole area is pretty intimidating although it's pretty easy because everything dies in two hits.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Alright, so I am wondering how shields work. I know that a lot of them block less than 100% of the damage dealt to them. So, if I'm using the Eagle Shield (I think it's 95% protection) and I absorb a 100-point attack, I'll still get 5 damage from blocking the attack. Easy. However, while I was fighting some of the human NPCs in the Darkroot area, I noticed that the "monk" character wasn't doing any damage to me, even though I was blocking his mace with the Eagle Shield. I assume this has something to do with weapon damage types, but I'm not certain. Any ideas?

You weren't taking any at all? Can you confirm that by checking your HP's numbers in the status menu rather than looking at your bar?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think it runs damage as an integer, so it might be that he either deals too little damage to register a decent hit, or you might just take damage without noticing it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

You Alt+F4ed out of the game because it was scary? :wtc: Who does that? I foresee you'll be pressing that a lot since the Depths isn't even that hard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

You Alt+F4ed out of the game because it was scary? :wtc: Who does that? I foresee you'll be pressing that a lot since the Depths isn't even that hard.

Maybe he has a weak heart? I can't really say alt-F4ing in Dark Souls is a very good idea anyway :v:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Alt-F4ing out to piss on invaders is a pretty common strategy, IME. It isn't even risky if you have DSFix save backups enabled.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Isn't it pretty safe to just cord pull instead? Not that I think you should. You're losing nothing from dying from an invader so I don't see much point in not getting murdered by them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

pun pundit posted:

Alt-F4ing out to piss on invaders is a pretty common strategy, IME. It isn't even risky if you have DSFix save backups enabled.

you should fight the invaders like the developers intended, IMO

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Austrian mook posted:

With you and three buddies all wearing Havel's set and carrying Dragon's Tooth?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

pun pundit posted:

It's a really dick move since there are limited amount of invasions they can do unless they are cheating. And you honestly should only do it against cheaters, people with unlimited health etc. or just grit through it and take the death and humanity loss.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mordaedil posted:

It's a really dick move since there are limited amount of invasions they can do unless they are cheating. And you honestly should only do it against cheaters, people with unlimited health etc. or just grit through it and take the death and humanity loss.

Actually, you should win the fight. Or try your best if you are not able to.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait, did he get invaded by Kirk. :psyduck:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

Actually, you should win the fight. Or try your best if you are not able to.

If you backstab/parry the guy and his health isn't dropping, and there are no cliffs to kick him off to verify, I don't really mind fighting bad morals with bad morals.

Personally, I just get killed because I try too much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

There is no limit to invasions in this game. You can get a full red eye orb that has infinite uses.

Though, uh, there's an NPC invasion in the Depths. I think the guy ran away from Kirk. :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

There is no limit to invasions in this game. You can get a full red eye orb that has infinite uses.

Though, uh, there's an NPC invasion in the Depths. I think the guy ran away from Kirk. :v:

The full red eye orb is a covenant item, isn't it? I never found that covenant actually.

And yeah, I was kinda about to laugh at him for running away, especially since Kirk isn't even tough there. He gets an invasion later that is much more dangerous if you play hesitantly.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

The full red eye orb is a covenant item, isn't it? I never found that covenant actually.

And yeah, I was kinda about to laugh at him for running away, especially since Kirk isn't even tough there. He gets an invasion later that is much more dangerous if you play hesitantly.

Go down and kill the 4 kings without talking to Frampt.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Flytrap posted:

Go down and kill the 4 kings without talking to Frampt.
Talking to Frampt is fine prior to getting the Lordvessel, you just can't place the Lordvessel for him.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You weren't taking any at all? Can you confirm that by checking your HP's numbers in the status menu rather than looking at your bar?

Mordaedil posted:

I think it runs damage as an integer, so it might be that he either deals too little damage to register a decent hit, or you might just take damage without noticing it.

Hmmm, interesting. It may have been that I only perceived no damage because I noticed that I was losing health, even when blocking attacks from the other forest NPCs (i.e. the "bandit" with his axe, the knights, etc.) but not from that little monk-dork. Likely, they were just wielding bigger and better weapons that still did noticeable damage, even at at 95% reduction, whereas the monk's 5% damage was basically chickenshit. I just figured that I'd be able to see the damage, even if it was a tiny red sliver (unless, of course it's so minute that it doesn't even register).

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Iretep posted:

Isn't it pretty safe to just cord pull instead? Not that I think you should. You're losing nothing from dying from an invader so I don't see much point in not getting murdered by them.

Surely you'd lose all your progress in the level?

Austrian mook posted:

If the developers wanted that they should have stopped hacking and ganking.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If you feel that strongly about it, why do you even play online?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

E; Never mind, I misunderstood the original post. Have this instead:

If you feel that hacking is a natural consequence of playing online, you are buying into the hackers' bullshit.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 14, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a question: whenever I open up the "players" tab for GFWL, at maximum it'll say that there are about 8 people online, usually 5 or less. Is this globally, or just on whatever server GFWL decided to place me? And if the latter, is it possible to migrate to a more populated server?

I'm trying to improve my sunbro status but it's a bit tricky when there are only 5 people online, and I count 3 soapstone summoning signs and 1 invading player.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Doesn't that tab just show the list of people you've personally interacted with (summoned, been summoned by, invaded, been invaded by...) recently?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It does. From what I understand there's no direct way to see how many players you're P2P connected to. There's probably more than the invader and summon signs around since I don't think it exclusively matches you with people within your soul level range, but yeah there really isn't much online traffic anymore.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

I'm running this in a borderless window @ 1920x1200 with dsfix and all is good except things look kinda stretched vertically. Seems like it's still rendering stuff in 1080 and stretching to 1200 even though I have render stuff at 1920x1200 in dsfix.ini. Steam screenshots come out as 1920x1080 too.

Any way I can get it to render in a borderless window without stretching or even at 1080 with black bars?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It does. From what I understand there's no direct way to see how many players you're P2P connected to. There's probably more than the invader and summon signs around since I don't think it exclusively matches you with people within your soul level range, but yeah there really isn't much online traffic anymore.

I'm talking about this:

The "2 online" stat. Is this globally, serverwide, a random connection that the game made?

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
It's of the people you have recently interacted with in the list below it, like Vil said.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Small and Blue posted:

It's of the people you have recently interacted with in the list below it, like Vil said.

I must have misunderstood. So there is literally no way to know how many people are currently online.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

double nine posted:

I must have misunderstood. So there is literally no way to know how many people are currently online.
I guess there's this? kinda?
http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=211420

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After way too much DS2 I think I want to do another playthrough of DS1. I want to do a Dex build since I never have before but don't really know anything about what is where for that in the original game. Any tips on what to look for and how to build my character, bows to use, boss weapons to keep an eye for (and what weapons I need for that, if I can remember how the upgrade path works), things like that? I'm not really going to care too much about pvp.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Plain old bow and an Iato will last you the whole game. There's a good bow in Sif's forest but bows are only used for hitting something you can't reach anyway.

Also, the benefit of DEX greatly diminishes after 40(?) points.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

After way too much DS2 I think I want to do another playthrough of DS1. I want to do a Dex build since I never have before but don't really know anything about what is where for that in the original game. Any tips on what to look for and how to build my character, bows to use, boss weapons to keep an eye for (and what weapons I need for that, if I can remember how the upgrade path works), things like that? I'm not really going to care too much about pvp.

IMO bows are useless except for very circumstantial opportunities (sniping an enemy from across the chasm, shooting them to agro 1 of a pack, that sort of thing). Weapon-wise the balder guys at undead parish will very occasionally drop the balder side sword, one of the best dex-based weapons period. Other good dex weapons are rapiers, scimitars and falchions (falchions are basically scimitars 2.0 so if you can grab one from the skeletons in graveyard, excellent. Low drop chance though).

very weird weapons, but iirc the scythes are decent dex scaling weapons maybe?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Great Scythe is considered the best dex weapon because of stupid high AR for a dex weapon and its long range. I ran a Great Scythe, didn't touch anywhere near 40 dex, and destroyed the last half of the game quite easily.

Thrust weapons like Estoc are useful since they can be used behind shields.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My first dark souls character used dex mainly and I used the iaito and quelaag's furysword for almost the whole game. They're really good. Then of course the longbow and black bow of pharis for your bows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In that case I think I'm going to go 40 dex/30 faith so I can mess around with miracles too, since my previous characters ignored them entirely except the gravelord sword dances, but those don't really count. I used the furysword on my last character! I'm going to try to do the whole game co-oping with a friend so we'll see how that works out. I have the 360 version of the game and the framerate is really, really noticeably bad going back from DS2, too.

• Locked thread