Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Did you not look at the source of the post you're replying to?

How long do you plan on holding that loving candle for? Get over it.

It's interesting living in Australia, where we've just got a massive segregation in a few different ways. Rarely any shootings though, so that's a positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does anyone want a possibly busted Fanatec GT2 wheel and Clubsport pedal set?
My friend borrowed it, dropped it, and cracked the top of the housing of the wheel. It still boots up through its calibration sequence, but I can't be bothered to try to play a game with it.

Yours for shipping, which won't be cheap thanks to the weight of the pedals.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Dibs!

Email me at mafoose @ gmail

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Grabbed the need for speed movie out of the redbox. It was...not good. F&F does it better. What would redeem that movie would be a guy in a hat and sunglasses driving a beige aztek just making a cameo.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
One of our robot welders froze up and burned. The smoke show was loving glorious. Too bad it smelled like burning clutch.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

We're just hemorrhaging employees now. The ones that have bothered with 2 weeks noticed didn't bother finishing more than 2 days. The GM left a physically threatening voicemail on one such person's phone yesterday, from the store phone # (with the phone # repeated in the voicemail by the voicemail system) saying what he would physically do to him if he ever showed up to get his check. I told him to go to company HR.... he'd already been there. Smart kid. We've lost almost half of our staff in the past month; I'm next on the list, though it'll be a transfer to another store until I can find something better. If that better comes along before a transfer, I WILL work the full 2 weeks, as long as they respect my new schedule. As far as they're concerned, I'm already working 2 jobs and in school (i.e. my availability is significantly limited as of next week; I'd rather take the cut to ~20-25 hours vs the "direction by shouting and screaming" method of management we now have).

--

So one of the few coworkers I like at this point texted me today. This is the only person I've ever let drive my car (with me in it, but still), mostly to help him with clutch stuff. He currently drives an old Echo 5 speed with nearly 300k on the original clutch, and he's looking for a newer car soon - he asked me if I could help him out with how non-trashed clutches felt, I agreed. I've actually had him drive me to a few deliveries in my own car, it's kinda neat leaning the passenger seat way back and zoning out. :v: I should start giving him a portion of the tips when he does that though.

Today (well yesterday now):

:byodood: Can I borrow :10bux:?
:colbert: What? We got paid yesterday dude. And frankly I need every cent I can get.
:byodood: I can explain it in person, but the short version is I give my paychecks to my parents and ask them to hold on to it for me until I buy my own car.
:colbert: We'll talk once I'm back at the store.

I get back....
:colbert: So what do you need the :10bux: for?
:byodood: I uh.. bought some stuff that I really don't feel that comfortable talking about, but I'm :10bux: short. They're waiting out back.
:haw: Hahahahaha, weed or coke?
:unsmith: Weed
:haw: Well poo poo, I can't hate on that. Yeah, here's the :10bux:. Just get it back to me by Friday, ok? I did NOT picture you as the stoner type at all man. How much did you buy?
:smith: 2 grams
:2bong: Buy a full 1/8 next time, you'll save a little money. And you should probably try to meet them away from work, we have a shitton of cops that drive through our lot every hour; they know what goes on behind the place.

This dude is the most straightedge looking/acting kid I've ever met. Turns out he's been smoking since he was 12 (and looks 12, though he's actually 17). :stonk:

:10bux: isn't exactly much for me; I don't like to spend money I don't have to, and when I loan money out I basically write it off and just hope it gets repaid. My limit on loans to friends/coworkers is usually :10bux:.

The Midniter posted:

:stare: Am I misreading this or are you saying that your current auto loan is like 15%?!

What are you planning on doing for your new job? Good luck, whatever it is.

13.55%. It was the only non-shady dealer that would approve me on a used car at anything below 20% (CarMax). They offered me 13.05% at 2 and 3 year, or 13.55% at 5 year. I've been paying it close to the 3 year payments, but opted for the 5 year loan in case I wound up with unexpected bills (and it's saved my rear end a few times now). Unfortunately, the shortfalls now and then have wiped out most of the excess payments, but I've never been more than 4 days late (late twice); not late enough for it to show up on any kind of reporting or even get a bitchy phone call.

Looking back on it, I had been approved for a couple of new car loans at much lower rates, but obviously much more expensive cars. It may have balanced out, but it would have mostly required driving at least an hour each way, plus playing the haggling game, and I just flat out got bad vibes from the dealers. I'd buy from CarMax again if I was buying used, and I absolutely plan to sell this car back to CarMax when I'm in the market for something else (they gave me drat close to KBB for my old car; they'll give me more than most dealers, and I don't have to deal with Craigslist). Next car will be a lot newer though, and even my loan officer at my CU said my best bet would be to buy around 1 year old unless I really want to special order (which I probably will; I like options that aren't common together.. nearly fully loaded except I hate leather seats, hate seat heaters, gimme cloth seats with a sunroof, power everything, HIDs, etc). 1 year old means the majority of the depreciation has already hit (as we all know), and it still qualifies for drat near brand new rates.

Frankly, not having to haggling was worth the extra $1-2k on the car's overall price for me. Next car, I'll already have an offer on my car from CarMax (which is good for 7 days) plus my own financing lined up through either USAA or my CU, and I'll have mom haggle for me - not to be a momma's boy, but she worked auto finance for over 20 years for her father's dealerships, while I'm terrible with money (as evidenced by the 13+% auto loan, but at least it wasn't on a $45k Altima with no insurance :haw: ) I'd still prefer to sell it private party if possible, mostly because I have all maintenance records from the day I bought it, but CarMax doesn't give you offensive offers (they gave me $1200 on an Altima worth, if it was cloudy and rainy, $1500 private party, and it needed some major work).

Next job will be anything that pays at least $13/hour and doesn't require plumbing or attics.

I still like the Saturn, and it's in excellent shape in every way except tires (flat spotted thanks to the lovely drivers in my delivery area deciding to cut across 3 lanes to make that right turn when I'm doing 50 in a 50) and 1 wheel has some lip damage (don't drive with low blood sugar, kids!), but I'm kind of tired of the crappy mileage and lack of power. That said, it's a shockingly comfortable car that rides like a midsize, yet handles like a decent compact (not as bad as a J-body, not as good as a Civic, but...)

As for credit - I just opened a secured card with USAA. Only $250, and it's secured by a certificate of deposit, so I get yearly interest - but I can't ever increase the limit. It should still help my credit a bit; I'll eventually open another one with at least a $1000 CD, if I don't start getting unsecured offers with reasonable APRs by then (this is 9.9% w/$35 annual fee). I want to be able to buy a house within 5 years, and I'd like to buy my next car within 2 years; I think this is the quickest way to rebuild the credit, since the worst of everything has fallen off (I'm basically sitting at the weird mix of "no credit history / re-aged credit debt from 8 years ago that's showing as last month").

DJ Commie posted:

I got a pair of DCM monitors (I don't remember the model) for $15 at Salvation Army. Nothing beats the Klipsch KG4s with new crossovers for $25. Those things are beasts when put on (big) stands.

Jesus gently caress. Goodwill runs an electronics-only shop that most of the "better" stuff (i.e. newer than 30 years old and not a microwave or toaster) winds up at that's fairly nearby. They occasionally have speakers, I need to swing by more often. Nobody knows about it, it's always empty in terms of customers - they don't advertise it on any of their websites, or in any of the stores (they do advertise the one in Dallas; this one is in an old burger place in Plano - Plano goons, IIRC it's in the Burger Island that was on Independence).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 14, 2014

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fixed the mudflap today- Drove less than 2km, backed up over a 2" high stone (in a loving 4wd truck)and pinched the mudflap and tore it off again.

loving thing is off a cliff now. gently caress it, its still got enough coverage to be legal.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I need to never ever read other car forums other than AI.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

words about high interest car loans

Did you shop around to local credit unions at all? Dealers are almost always going to have higher financing for low $$$ used cars than a good credit union will.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly, it's not like the media is doing that great of a job on covering it. My local news website right now:

One link and one video, with far more space devoted to sex and sports.

One of the other more popular local news sites, AZFamily, literally has no links to coverage of this whatsoever.

Yeah this, all we've had coverage of here is robin Williams and the great flood of 2014 :smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

angryhampster posted:

Did you shop around to local credit unions at all? Dealers are almost always going to have higher financing for low $$$ used cars than a good credit union will.

There was a giganticpost a few pages (threads?) back about that, but IIRC he did. Big issues: older car, so most places won't finance it, higher mileage (100k, good for old car, bad for banks/CUs), bad credit.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Show us where that bad forum touched you, we're all here to help.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

Show us where that bad forum touched you, we're all here to help.

Thats the problem. Its not where, its how. They touched him in the same way they touch their cars.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cursedshitbox posted:

Thats the problem. Its not where, its how. They touched him in the same way they touch their cars.

With a Brillo pad, anger and stupidity? :ohdear:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm about to lose my loving poo poo trying to find a manual BMW on autotrader. Steptronic is not a loving manual transmission you loving idiots.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its a Facebook group going on and on about the 204 mph the new dodge is doing. I casually reminded them that Ze Germans did this poo poo back in 2005 with less HP with the E60 M5. Of course its just morons that have no clue.

I was going to troll but meh.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm about to lose my loving poo poo trying to find a manual BMW on autotrader. Steptronic is not a loving manual transmission you loving idiots.

I've found that problem when browsing the BMW site for CPOs. It's not just people, it's dealers too. :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I hear ya, the only other good forums I've found were TDI Club and Saab Central. They're both full of some pretty good guys that tend to avoid the car brand/sub-type circle jerk discussions and are really about the cars/maintenance/issues. When I had a Saab, I used saab central and our own Saab thread. Despite his probations/bans, Viggen knows his poo poo.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I made the mistake of venturing onto VWvortex years ago, what a cesspool. TDI Club isn't too bad if you can find the guys that know their stuff.

BraveUlysses posted:

Ran into similar when I was M3 shopping. Between the normal cars listed as M3's, the scams and the cars with swapped M3 parts I'd say less than 1/4 of the cars listed were worth even clicking on.

Brother's wedding is coming up, looks like Mom has been doing 95% of the organization from WI to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart completely. His fiance's bridesmaids decided they're not going so I think me and my younger brother will be her bridesmaids. At this point I'm not sure if she has any friends coming which has got to suck for her. Whole thing is going to be a clusterfuck but we'll make the best of it.

I managed to get an extra week in WI for training, get to spend some time with the newest stuff about to roll out. Always nice being the only field guy in the world who has time with the product. Full week of assembly, checkout and testing should provide a good overview. Extra bonus is signed up to instruct at a car control clinic while I'm up here.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 14, 2014

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to be looking at changing cars in the next year or so, so I'm recontemplating getting another E34, but with a manual. There's about 10 5 Series for sale in Aus at the moment with a manual, and 13 if you include $20k, 200k mi M5s (which I so desperately want). I would absolutely kill for an M5, but as my friend's reminded me.. parts availability and cost would be a massive deterrent, even with how clean some of them look.

There's one. Literally one 540i for sale at the moment that's a manual. It's priced reasonably at $14k. For a 20 year old E34. I just want American prices :qq:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its a Facebook group going on and on about the 204 mph the new dodge is doing. I casually reminded them that Ze Germans did this poo poo back in 2005 with less HP with the E60 M5. Of course its just morons that have no clue.

I was going to troll but meh.

Top speeds that high are basically meaningless anyway.

What matters is that you can get a roomy family sedan with seven hundred and seven horsepower completely stock and with a warranty, probably for around the same $60-70K the Challenger Hellcat costs.

I know I desperately want, nay need a Charger Hellcat in my life.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I used to think the Protege forums were okay...I'm glad I found this place.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The generation specific Celica forum I sometimes frequent isn't super awful, but that is mostly because it gets maybe 10 posts a day tops. There's still idiots of course, but it's not a constant deluge of stupidity like other car forums.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'd rather poo poo in my own mouth than read nasioc

RS25 is readable

LGT is full of idiot loving ricers with a few good info posts

SLI is good for old stuff

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

I'd rather poo poo in my own mouth than read nasioc

RS25 is readable

LGT is full of idiot loving ricers with a few good info posts

SLI is good for old stuff

I read this one forum called MaineDriven which is full of a bunch of tards making lovely posts about their rusty Subarus.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I read this one forum called MaineDriven which is full of a bunch of tards making lovely posts about their rusty Subarus.

The owner is an rear end in a top hat btw. wont shut up about some lovely RS and wagon and telling people what suspension to buy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

KozmoNaut posted:

What matters is that you can get a roomy family sedan with seven hundred and seven horsepower completely stock and with a warranty, probably for around the same $60-70K the Challenger Hellcat costs.

I know all the HP and poo poo. But I'm really more curious as to how well this holds up over time. High performance cars require constant attention. I also just flat out don't care for Chrysler products as well. Its not one particular car either, its the company as a whole. I don't mind Ford or GM.

The one post that amused me said "The high weight leads us to assume that there is plenty of comfort and good quality materials in it"

I didn't even know where to begin with that statement.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know all the HP and poo poo. But I'm really more curious as to how well this holds up over time. High performance cars require constant attention. I also just flat out don't care for Chrysler products as well. Its not one particular car either, its the company as a whole. I don't mind Ford or GM.

The one post that amused me said "The high weight leads us to assume that there is plenty of comfort and good quality materials in it"

I don't think it should be a huge issue. It is what a 6.4L V8 motor, there are plenty of other cars that make more hp/L and power per cylinder.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BrokenKnucklez posted:

"Now with more road-hugging weight!"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KozmoNaut posted:

"Now with more road-hugging weight!"

More power, offset with more weight! It's the '60s all over again, only more stupid.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You see the weight actually helps it launch better because...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't remember which forum I was going to register on a while ago for some info that my registration got denied because I put none for vw's I own. I got into a discussion over email with a mod who basically said until I owned a vw I wasn't welcome. I told him to gently caress off, then reregistered with a different e-mail address and in "vw's I own" I put '36 beetle. Application granted in about 2 minutes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Heh, I have a Micra clutch kit that I never used, so I put it on the Micra forum as a "hey, look, anyone need this? You can have it, buy me a pint if you can" deal - and not a sausage, despite at least two "help, my clutch is knackered" threads being posted since then.

I literally can't give it away!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

KozmoNaut posted:

You and me both. I don't care that people hate the new styling of it, I don't care that Ze Germans did it before, the interior could be made of butter for all I care. That car is everything I love in one glorious, supercharged, menacing package. I'd sell my soul for one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its not the car though... Its just getting a bunch of people to start sperging on other car forums until they start circle jerking each other until it just ends up a big vat of sperm.

But I need to take advise from this thread title and stay out of other car forums

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, wait. Other car forums can be productive sometimes! For instance, I was having problems with the wiring on my beetle today, so I went onto TheSamba forums to see if anybody had a working wiring diagram, or knowledge about the hazard and turn signal switch assemblies.

After spending an hour sifting between posts of "All chineeez made items are poo poo, only get GERMAN parts :bahgawd:," and "I spray all of my electrical connections with WD-40 and let that poo poo soak in, you don't need no diagrams for that what do you think you are, a NERD?! :jerkbag:," I got so fed up I just replaced nearly all of the blade connectors, as they were corroded and I was too lazy earlier to do that. Even got in a kind of zen state with the wire crimper, soldering iron, heatshrink, and box of connectors.

Fixed my problems right up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Puppy sitting...he's a little doofy

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of the rover forums is circle jerking about plastidipping shocks different colors.

One more reason why I hang out here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

One of the rover forums is circle jerking about plastidipping shocks different colors.

One more reason why I hang out here.

I use Plastidip as condoms. Spray on protection baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cat Terrist posted:

I use Plastidip as condoms. Spray on protection baby

I use bedliner.

• Locked thread